What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL launches touch football premiership

MilkShark

First Grade
I get what you are saying and I agree. But I actually think it is football brains/instincts that are in short supply these days as much as skill. They don't even seem to know when or how to draw and pass. The majority of NRL players seem like robots.
Yep agreed, the amount of tims you see a player run the ball up when they have a 4 on 2 overlap outside them is ridiculous. It really just confirms these players don’t understand the game but are there because they can deadlift 400kgs.

The touch footy thing is good but I feel won’t have any impact unless attrition is brought back.

You probably shouldn't comment on topics that you know nothing about. The sport returned to the name Touch Football a number of years before the NRL partnership.

They now use the NRL Touch Football logo. NRL stands for National Rugby League, if you cannot see that touch football is a non contact version of Rugby League than you probably should just avoid this thread because your opinion is not valid.

http://touchfootball.com.au/ The name is in the website URL
If you think touch is RL then so is Oztag. Where’s the NRL Oztag premiership? In fact it is more like RL than touch. Non-contact RL is not RL. Simple. Union has at least as much in common with RL as touch does.

Just because the incompetent dickheads at the NRL throw RL money away on another sport does not make that sport RL. The “NRL” is also not national so trying to argue their name has any relevance is f**king stupid. But I can see why you’d love to be able to label people’s opinions as not valid. That’s Greentard’s mantra of late. Anyone who doesn’t toe the party line is supposed to be ignored. More VFL bullshit creeping into the game.

T-Boon

Coach
If you think touch is RL then so is Oztag. Where’s the NRL Oztag premiership?

Oztag isn't mainstream.
What I mean by that is if there are a few people around and a RL or RU football then a game of touch footy could break out any time. I remember in the school yard we would have packs of about 30 kids playing touch and guess what would result? Some kid would hit some other kid and then someone just yells out "tackle" and its tackle RL and it is on.
You can get touch footy going on the beach or in the street or wherever.
Think of touch as easily the biggest of the RL gateway sports.
I think every person who has ever played in the NRL has played Touch.

unforgiven

Bench
If you think touch is RL then so is Oztag. Where’s the NRL Oztag premiership? In fact it is more like RL than touch. Non-contact RL is not RL. Simple. Union has at least as much in common with RL as touch does.

Just because the incompetent dickheads at the NRL throw RL money away on another sport does not make that sport RL. The “NRL” is also not national so trying to argue their name has any relevance is f**king stupid. But I can see why you’d love to be able to label people’s opinions as not valid. That’s Greentard’s mantra of late. Anyone who doesn’t toe the party line is supposed to be ignored. More VFL bullshit creeping into the game.

I mentioned National Rugby League because you raised that Touch doesn't have the terms football or Rugby League in it's name which is just plainly wrong, you are arguing things you obviously do not know anything about.

OzTag is definitely a form of Rugby League, both games formed as non contact versions of Rugby League. OzTag's owners were not interested in a partnership with the NRL, my understanding, I may be wrong, is that OZtag is a for profit organisation.

Yes Rugby Union has a lot in common with Rugby League, they are both forms of Rugby, just like Rugby League, Oztag and Touch Football are versions of Rugby League. Just like Flag Football is a non contact version of American Football.

I do not agree with most things that Greenburg does, but I may disagree with you to a larger extend! I'm not trying to ignore you because of you not towing the party line, i'm disagreeing with you because you are simply wrong.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Funnily they all seem to link you ! Union being your preferred code.Private schools being your source of close mindedness, the extinction of top flight rugby league in the form of the Bears in North Sydney and your endless pursuit to weaken rugby league in the Sydney area. That's you Redfellon!
images (34).jpeg

I mentioned National Rugby League because you raised that Touch doesn't have the terms football or Rugby League in it's name which is just plainly wrong, you are arguing things you obviously do not know anything about.

OzTag is definitely a form of Rugby League, both games formed as non contact versions of Rugby League. OzTag's owners were not interested in a partnership with the NRL, my understanding, I may be wrong, is that OZtag is a for profit organisation.

Yes Rugby Union has a lot in common with Rugby League, they are both forms of Rugby, just like Rugby League, Oztag and Touch Football are versions of Rugby League. Just like Flag Football is a non contact version of American Football.

I do not agree with most things that Greenburg does, but I may disagree with you to a larger extend! I'm not trying to ignore you because of you not towing the party line, i'm disagreeing with you because you are simply wrong.
Union has partnerships with touch in many countries so by your logic touch is rugby union.

But but but it’s rugby league isn’t it? So how does that work?

The RLIF is the governing body of rugby league and it has nothing to do with touch, because it’s not rugby league. If it was rugby league it would be run by the RLIF. It isn’t. It’s a different sport with a different governing body. End of story. But but but you’ve declared yourself right so I guess that’s it.

Stallion

First Grade
You do realise that if the ground is condemned in the future they don't come to you for final approval right?

You do realise that "if" is a very telltale and significant word. Presumptions or "wishes" are not fact. Now you two little minded pieces of work head off to the naughty corner and skull some Pimms!

unforgiven

Bench
Union has partnerships with touch in many countries so by your logic touch is rugby union.

But but but it’s rugby league isn’t it? So how does that work?

The RLIF is the governing body of rugby league and it has nothing to do with touch, because it’s not rugby league. If it was rugby league it would be run by the RLIF. It isn’t. It’s a different sport with a different governing body. End of story. But but but you’ve declared yourself right so I guess that’s it.
Lol how does that work? You know as well as I do the attempt Rugby has gone to world wide to eliminate Rugby League. Union partnering with Touch Football is just another attempt at them stunting growth opportunites for our version of Rugby.

Mate, I don't need to declare myself right, common sense does that for me, NRL Touch Australia does that for me. Boxing has 4 different governing bodies, are you going to tell me they all govern different sports? your arguments are wrong time and again.

Stallion

First Grade
Lol how does that work? You know as well as I do the attempt Rugby has gone to world wide to eliminate Rugby League. Union partnering with Touch Football is just another attempt at them stunting growth opportunites for our version of Rugby.

Mate, I don't need to declare myself right, common sense does that for me, NRL Touch Australia does that for me. Boxing has 4 different governing bodies, are you going to tell me they all govern different sports? your arguments are wrong time and again.

You are on the money! Well identified. And refer to that code as "union" please. That's another devious tactic they are using to make league subservient to union in their own sly way.

Last edited:

Coparugby

Juniors
If the NRL didn’t develop relationships with non contact versions of rugby league it leaves it open for rugby union, with development money from Oz or overseas, to do the same.

That would align 600,000 Australian athletes to rugby union, put them on rugby union mailing lists, give them marketing and/or reduced price tickets to union internationals etc.

Some may see it as a totally different sport to rugby league but in the minds of nearly everyone who plays it’s a non-contact version of rugby league or union.

Now a huge number of men women and children are aligned to rugby league.

Stallion

First Grade
If the NRL didn’t develop relationships with non contact versions of rugby league it leaves it open for rugby union, with development money from Oz or overseas, to do the same.

That would align 600,000 Australian athletes to rugby union, put them on rugby union mailing lists, give them marketing and/or reduced price tickets to union internationals etc.

Some may see it as a totally different sport to rugby league but in the minds of nearly everyone who plays it’s a non-contact version of rugby league or union.

Now a huge number of men women and children are aligned to rugby league.

It is clearly a non contact version of rugby league. It's even got a six tap rule! But yes the union people have seen this elsewhere and have hijacked this very similar sport to league.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It’s taken the nrl decades to finally decide to partner with touch. Union are just more proactive in most other countries than league will ever be.