What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL players eligible for Olympic sevens?

Gaba

First Grade
By the time 2016 comes around i have doubts union will be played in Australia

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
It will be Rugby 7's. I'd expect strict entry requirements too. More than likely amateur level with 1 or 2 pro players at the most allowed in the squad.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
I like Union and League the same amount but I have no doubt that a RU 7's team made up of suitable NRL players would smash anyone in the world. Absolutley no doubt.

I don't think it's such a bad idea. It depends on who is calling the shots, the ARU or the AOC. Each medal cost tax payers millions in sports funding, I'm sure the Australian Public are more interested in a Gold Medal then to where the players come from.

Would be a great piece of publicity of League if they let their players tryout and defeat the world.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
I like Union and League the same amount but I have no doubt that a RU 7's team made up of suitable NRL players would smash anyone in the world. Absolutley no doubt.

I don't watch as much rugby sevens as you seem to.

But from what I have seen I'd question your judgement. It would need some serious tactical preparation.

shiznit

Coach
It will be Rugby 7's. I'd expect strict entry requirements too. More than likely amateur level with 1 or 2 pro players at the most allowed in the squad.
nah... it will be a full sevens tournament. all the top players will be available.

Parra

Referee
^ Well i don't watch too much, but it involves a lot of broken field play.

And you need players on their feet.

There is next to no structure in the game, which would take some real getting used to as well.

It is not just a matter of athleticism and publicity.

Parra

Referee
nah... it will be a full sevens tournament. all the top players will be available.

Look what they did with soccer at the olympics - another sport that shouldn't be there. But making it age restricted makes it a joke.

shiznit

Coach

I don't think it's such a bad idea. It depends on who is calling the shots, the ARU or the AOC. Each medal cost tax payers millions in sports funding, I'm sure the Australian Public are more interested in a Gold Medal then to where the players come from.

Would be a great piece of publicity of League if they let their players tryout and defeat the world.
:lol:

i dont doubt the NRL will have some great players who could play 7'... but f**k you talk sh*t..

NZ would pump the sh*t out of australia... we did it in RL 9's and we would do the same in RU 7's.

we have the best 7's coach in history.. and we clean up without even playing our best.

if the NZRFU let them pick all of our best then we will win gold easily... no one will even come close.

just like the com games... 3 games... 3 golds...

shiznit

Coach
getting back to the actual topic... i think the bloke has a point.

once a sport becomes an olympic sport it comes under the umbrella of the IOC & its various national bodys.

the NZRFU, ARU, RFU or whoever else really shouldn't get a say in the matter.

the NZOC or AOC could hold open trials and select the best players possible. i think there could be afew NRL players that could play in it... especially for the islands...

i dont know who in the NRL would be suited to it.... not Thurston anyway... Matt Bowen perhaps... Matt Rodgers was handy when he played... Tuqiri was f**ken hopeless.

Preston Cambell... Folau & Hayne im not so sure.. there abit big... unless they could be workhorse for the rucks they have to be pretty exceptional outwide. Like Jonah Lomu exceptional.... ive yet to see anyone in either code at that level.

roopy

Referee
I'd love to see some of our best Fijian players wipe the floor with the ARU team.
Fiji has already said they would like players like Aku Uate, Jarrod Hayne and others play for their sevens side, who are already one of the best in the world.

Parra

Referee
I expect that Fiji would benefit from this decision. 7's is basically their national sport anyway.

Fiji already wipes the floor with most teams in the International 7's series.

This should be great news for the pacific island nations.

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Just an observation. A lot of people on this forum always go on about the arrogance of the AFL thinking they can take on West Sydney and win, or the RU, or soccer or <insert name here> and then come on and say the RL 7's will win easily. Man you guys kill me. The Fijians and NZers would easily win this tournament even with the best RL could put up. They are different games. Different skillsets. Thats why RU forwards are all different body shapes and sizes and RL ones are not., Get over yourselves!