What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 15 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
There's a couple more coaches under pressure mid-season, being Payten and Siebold. They might not be sacked this year - ala bad old days Warriors style - but there's talk of Brad Arthur at either club.

Two very safe coaches - Fitzgibbon and Bennett square off tonight, with the Sharks getting over their little judder bar and Redcliffe with one ahead of them. It's nothing serious for ol' Wayne, he'll manage them over it, but it might be three losses in-a-row this week.

Friday sees Canberra and the Cowboys. It's freezing in the ACT and the boys from FNQ won't know what's hit them. But, man, does Payten need a win. Souths host Brisbane in the main game. That's tough for a side trying to climb out of ladder woes.

Saturday, Tigers v Titans, Benji v Dessie! You'd have to back the old grizzler there but Wests are decent if they can play eighty-minute football.

Warriors v Storm. Game of the round? It's not like we don't know how to beat a top side and Melbourne are missing a player or two, whereas we have most of ours back. Parra v Chooks, old school west v east. The Eels are another side that struggle to close out games.

Sunday, Manly meet the rising Dragons at Brookvale. The fortress should see them home, as I'm presuming the Dragons are as bad at Brookvale as Manly are in Wollongong?

We close with an awkward Newcastle hosting Penrith. Any side that nearly takes Melbourne away might do the Panthers at home.

Enjoy.

Blair

Coach
Dolphins with a great start 16-0 ahead at Sharks home ground.
Bennett knows how to right a ship.

22-0 now. Fitzgibbon looks mortified in the coach's box.

Edit: now Wayne looks worried! 22-12.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Better record at Brookie, but the Dragons are Manlys bogey side, Dragons 23/35 overall but 6/14 at Brookie

Brandon Smith on the outer at the Chooks

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
They basically had a whole set in an easy drop goal zone and didn't even consider it - Isaako would've nailed it. Really strange. Super entertaining game though.

JJ

Immortal
I don’t understand modern day footy

30-24 up, hot on attack, 5 to go, don’t even consider the 1 point
You wonder if that's old man Wayne, or simply the plant pots on the field - surely you try to get to the position and if you do, take the shot, otherwise hand the ball over where you want

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
You wonder if that's old man Wayne, or simply the plant pots on the field - surely you try to get to the position and if you do, take the shot, otherwise hand the ball over where you want
I’ve noticed it across a wide variety of teams over a few years now. Looks like the players don’t have confidence in themselves to kick it and are scared of the 7 tackle set. The likes of Johns, Thurston, Cronk, Cleary, DCE would always back themselves

Then you aren’t a serious side, it’s 1 tackle. Nearly cost them the game tonight
100%. 7 tackle sets used to be a major thing, but since set-restarts were brought in I'd have thought teams are more accustomed at defending extra tackles now, and 1 extra one from the 20m line would be fairly minor.

Big Marn

Bench
You have to take the 1 if you can get yourself in the position to do so.
Maybe just not footy smart or clock aware?
why does the rule need to be so all encompassing? If you are at halfway trying to kick it dead and take the fullback out of play for a strong return,then fair play. 7 tackle set to deter that behaviour. But if you are in the red zone and trying to earn some points with a kick behind the line that unfortunately goes dead. then normal 6. same with 1 pt or 2 pt drop goals. Shouldnt be hard to implement right?

Big Marn

Bench
I'mma go the Hammer
i dunno. Roosters never laid a hand on Gardner (which is incredible when you consider where he took the ball) but at least 3 sharkies got their hands on Hammer - but he managed to shrug them off. Both brilliant tho.

Reactions: Izz