What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rd 20 2024 - General Non-Warriors Thread

Blair

Coach
Well, that's Origin done for another year - and it was good, real good - but it still adversely affected the competition and hangs around this weekend, with all the 'will he or won't he?' back up talk.

Friday, it's a teeth-chattering, nerve-tingling, opener in Canberra. Two teams battling it out in the cold, and two coaches (and, of course, two sets of fans) knowing it's probably curtain time if they lose. Raiders v Warriors, who needs Origin to make someone feel alive on a mid-winter's night, eh?

Saturday, we're in the money with three goodies once again. Souths have lost a key player in Cameron Murray to suspension and that will hurt. Wests are feeling the pressure off the field with Benji and Robbie parting ways at the end of the season. Wests have acknowledged that they need more experience with their coaching. For all his faults, you can't lose a stalwart like Sheens and replace him with novices, and expect there to be no fallout. This week Wests owned up to that.

Newcastle are more than good enough to almost officially end the finals hopes of a disappointing Broncos squad, whilst keeping their own alive. The Storm v Roosters is big, real big. Grand final-preview big, in fact, and that's saying something as the Roosters were slow out of the coop this year.

Penrith will laugh at that GF preview though, and they have Cleary back just to add volume to it. I doubt the Dolphins can upset them at a chilly Penrith Park, but the boys from Redcliffe are tough, we know that.

Dessie's back at Brookie as his Titans play Manly, and he has a three-game winning run blowing behind that mad mop of his. We close with NQ needing their five Origin stars back if they're to be considered favourites at home to a Bulldogs side that looks to be ending an eight-year finals drought.

Enjoy.

Blair

Coach
Great put-down by Staines in the corner for the Tigers, making it 24-22, Souths.

...and Wests are in again! Brilliant. 28-24, 22 minutes to go in Gosford.

...and there we go, the Tigers drop it on their twenty. Walker ends up scoring. 30-28, Souths.

Who'd be a Tigers fan?

...now 36-28, Wests are done, I think. Did we need Souths to win, for our slim finals hopes? I think so.

Another Tiger binned this season. You'd hope they train with 12!

42-28, Souths. Final.

Last edited:

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I thought Cobbo played fairly soft in a tough game the other night, and that backs up today when he sits out while Carrigan and Haas who put in huge stints in the middle go around again

Blair

Coach
I thought Cobbo played fairly soft in a tough game the other night, and that backs up today when he sits out while Carrigan and Haas who put in huge stints in the middle go around again

He seems to be a another sad but familiar story, someone with big talent but very questionable attitude. These guys always nail it as juniors.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He seems to be an another sad but familiar story, someone with big talent but very questionable attitude. These guys always nail it as juniors.
Billy denied any rift, but it was mentioned on a podcast I was listening too that Cobbo actually requested not to be picked for game 2 which didn’t sit well with Slater

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Brisbane dominating this game but can’t score any points. Ezra Mam hasn’t fired a shot at all this season

Looks like Bradman Best joins Moses in having his big moment in origin then season being done

Blair

Coach
Cruel re Best. Walsh is on fire. There's points now, Reynolds must be making a real difference too.

18-0, Broncos. Halftime.

Blair

Coach
Ezra Mam hasn’t fired a shot at all this season...

I'd hate to think the LV incident derailed his season.

Edit: the wheels are falling off for Newcastle now. 30-4...

30-14, Brisbane. Final. The Knights came back a bit but Brisbane have made their mark tonight. They might roll on somewhat from here.

Last edited: