What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rebellion: Rugby league clubs want CEO Dave Smith gone or threaten to leave comp

Perth Red

Post Whore
So what in the plan is going to grow the game outside nsw and Qland? And can we stop calling them "affiliated states". Identifying them as second cousins is hardly inclusive or sending the message that the N in NRL stands for National!

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't see the logic in not allowing teenagers to sign with clubs or play NRL til they're 19.

Unless, of course, there's another system in place. Which hasn't been answered.

SO far it isnt a strategy, it's a jumble of vague ideas without explanation of the benefits or how they will be achieved.

adamkungl

Immortal
So what in the plan is going to grow the game outside nsw and Qland? And can we stop calling them "affiliated states". Identifying them as second cousins is hardly inclusive or sending the message that the N in NRL stands for National!

Step 1. Tear down NSW Cup
Step 2. ?????????????????
Step 3. Profit!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sounds promising in parts, but raises more questions than it answers.

Doesn't address concerns over the restructuring or dismantling of Reserve Grade and NYC.

What do the 19 players not chosen on match day do with themselves? How will NRL clubs link to Platinum clubs?

Considering they are already on the back foot, this announcement should have come with a lot more detail.

Also this is mostly nsw, what about Qland NRL clubs, storm,, the Warriors? For a whole of game review it looks very nsw focussed as usual.

I like the extended NRL squad and rookies suggestion, will give clubs a chance to test fringe players and give them more NRL exposure hopefully. Salary cap will need to be adjusted to accomodate more second tier players playing first grade you'd think?

I don't have an issue with this in theory, but theory has never been RL's problem, more the constant f**k ups in the execution part of the equation.

I don't like the idea of a draft, never have, never will, but that's a separate issue.

So when it says "Players can't sign for an NRL club until the year they turn 19" I take it that means an 18 year old can sign Jan 1st of "year X" even if his birthday is Dec 31st of that year?

It's nice to say that agents might be kept away from kids until they turn 17, but will they really? I hope there's some sort of scheme involved in this to ensure that actually happens.

KeepingTheFaith, that is always the problem with many an RL administration, they ignore the realities for their preferred theory.

I mean you could look at the agents bit as denying young players representation, which is against the law in employment matters. That part may not stand up legally.

If they plan to introduce a rookie draft, it won't stand up to any legal challenge. There is way too much case law in Australia which has ruled them restraints of trade. Considering the "sterling" job the NRL did with the Players Association on the 2016 Draw, I dare say the NRL Player's Association is not going to be in favour of this. If that is the case, 0 chance of any form of draft coming in.

As has been said, another problem, you have 36 players in your NRL squad, where do the 19 not in the game day squad play? That is probably where the NRL clubs have the biggest problem as what has been said publicly indicates that NRL clubs will have no say on those players when they are playing in the Platinum League. So the NRL are just appropriating other people's employees? No wonder NRL clubs are up in arms.

As to whom the 11 teams will be in this Platinum League, if the clubs had not been determined, they should not have included "examples" in their plans. No wonder people may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Regardless of motive, phasing out payments for NYC players and Under 18s players will see some of those players turn their back on rugby league. It may just cost us a few superstars who will sign with different codes who do pay them.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
In WA the dockers and Eagles have been ca,paining for years to have reserve grade sides in the wafl as they feel they have little control over the skills and fitness training of their fringe players who don't make first team on game day. I can see NRL clubs feeling same way.

I would have thought a national reserve grade with NRL clubs affiliated to clubs in it, NZ reserve grade comp stacked with warriors players and state based elite under 16's under 18's and under 20's would have been way to go? Expansion states could then be funded to have junior teams in those elite leagues and give a shop,window to talent across the country.

siv

First Grade
Just a strategy paper as I suspected

Almost written to a letter by the QRL or QLD based model

Last edited:

duylm

Juniors
NOT ENOUGH DEPTH FOR EXPANSION, NOT ENOUGH DEPTH FOR EXPANSION :crazy: ----------> (adds 176 players to professional players pool).

Now fear-mongering contractionists can strangle expansion for another quarter-century given 2 new clubs will require another 72 elite professionals on top of the proposed 576. (we sit at 400 today). (relocation is now off the cards as no-one will accept that unless they are staring at liquidation and the broadcast deal has eliminated that possibilty).

Player burnout is just a whinge. Give everyone bonus match payments for every match over a designated ceiling and watch them fall over each other scrambling for the cheque. Heck they'll even put their hands up for internationals at the end of the year.

Funny how a whole-of-game strategy completely ignores planning for the competition's strategic growth. Should have been called a limited internal structural review if that was always the scope because that's what they've come up with.

adamkungl

Immortal
NOT ENOUGH DEPTH FOR EXPANSION, NOT ENOUGH DEPTH FOR EXPANSION :crazy: ----------> (adds 176 players to professional players pool).

Now fear-mongering contractionists can strangle expansion for another quarter-century given 2 new clubs will require another 72 elite professionals on top of the proposed 576. (we sit at 400 today). (relocation is now off the cards as no-one will accept that unless they are staring at liquidation and the broadcast deal has eliminated that possibilty).

Player burnout is just a whinge. Give everyone bonus match payments for every match over a designated ceiling and watch them fall over each other scrambling for the cheque. Heck they'll even put their hands up for internationals at the end of the year.

Funny how a whole-of-game strategy completely ignores planning for the competition's strategic growth. Should have been called a limited internal structural review if that was always the scope because that's what they've come up with.

It's a joke isn't it.

Whole-of-NSW Strategy would be more apt.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't have an issue with this in theory, but theory has never been RL's problem, more the constant f**k ups in the execution part of the equation.

I don't like the idea of a draft, never have, never will, but that's a separate issue.

So when it says "Players can't sign for an NRL club until the year they turn 19" I take it that means an 18 year old can sign Jan 1st of "year X" even if his birthday is Dec 31st of that year?

It's nice to say that agents might be kept away from kids until they turn 17, but will they really? I hope there's some sort of scheme involved in this to ensure that actually happens.

Itll be that same set up a defining who qualified for U20s. (that cut off was something random, like June 30 or something)

It would never be possible to keep Agents away from scouting talent, but the ARLC can choose not to recognise any contracts meaning the kids would be free to ditch the contract at any moment.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't see the logic in not allowing teenagers to sign with clubs or play NRL til they're 19.

Unless, of course, there's another system in place. Which hasn't been answered.

SO far it isnt a strategy, it's a jumble of vague ideas without explanation of the benefits or how they will be achieved.

Youre complaining that the entire plan is thin on detail, based on a 300 word press release (that probably just cherry pick chapter headings).

Diesel

Referee
Why do we need a NSW only review of the game when the outlook is covering all levels of the game

adamkungl

Immortal
Youre complaining that the entire plan is thin on detail, based on a 300 word press release (that probably just cherry pick chapter headings).

Why announce something that raises more questions than answers? Especially after they were put on the back foot with the last week's leaks.

You're more than happy to join the dots with increasingly large leaps of faith, I'm gonna go on what's actually been said. They've done nothing to deserve that trust

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why do we need a NSW only review of the game when the outlook is covering all levels of the game

I would hope its not just NSW. (hopefully this is just the only thing getting coverage.)

Richo has mentioned things like Season structure/Origin/etc. I hope he have put them into te plan.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why announce something that raises more questions than answers? Especially after they were put on the back foot with the last week's leaks.

You're more than happy to join the dots with increasingly large leaps of faith, I'm gonna go on what's actually been said. They've done nothing to deserve that trust

Because, of the million people that read this, we are the only 10 that would dissect it the same day...

Normal people would look at this, say "ok....cool" and judge it once it has been implemented.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
it is a draft proposal, that is probably why it has come out now rather than late january/feb as Grant had said a few weeks ago. They are probably just going through a consultation phase now because the dinosaurs were getting all excited again, the real detail won't come until it's been all worked through with the clubs and states.

Latest posts