What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Reserve grade?

Perth Red

Post Whore
This has popped up in discussion in the expansion threads but thought worthy of wider discussion.

There are clearly moves afoot to create an NRL reserve grade. NSW NRL clubs are dropping their partnerships and getting ready to have funded reserve grade sides instead and the QRL has been approached by the NRL to admit the 4 NRL clubs reserve grade sides into the comp.

This will obviously have significant impact on those comps and on sides currently aligned with NRL clubs in a feeder/development arrangement. Now the NRL is stepping up to fund NRL clubs to have resrve grade stand alone sides is it just a matter ofd time until we have a full reserve grade comp again?

Canberra rejoined 2021. Roosters rejoining.
The Roosters are the latest club to realign their pathways after confirming they’ll field a side in the NSW Cup under the Roosters banner for the first time since 2005.

The ARLC are reportedly pushing the QRL to add teams from the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans into the Hostplus Cup from next year.
The QRL are reportedly "extremely concerned" by this plan

Canard

Immortal
The aim (I assume) is so multiple grades can be played before an NRL match. Is there any demand for this?

Given the NRL draw it would mean reserve grade games will be scheduled against an NRL game.

In Sydney, you could be probably get a draw to work for about 50% of games, with the rest a struggle.

In the QRL, with only 4 NRL teams, scheduling would be a nightmare, so it would defeat the purpose.

If they NRL desire to have lead up games, why not just play the QRL or NSWRL clubs that exist now before the NRL games?

This will be the death knell for the Bears at NSW Cup level I would imagine.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I agree that every move V'Landys makes is now through the gambling lens. His partners at News Ltd are now heavily invested in the industry.

This appears to be more gambling content.

Bruce Hatcher lays out very sound arguments to not change the current arrangements.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The aim (I assume) is so multiple grades can be played before an NRL match. Is there any demand for this?

Given the NRL draw it would mean reserve grade games will be scheduled against an NRL game.

In Sydney, you could be probably get a draw to work for about 50% of games, with the rest a struggle.

In the QRL, with only 4 NRL teams, scheduling would be a nightmare, so it would defeat the purpose.

If they NRL desire to have lead up games, why not just play the QRL or NSWRL clubs that exist now before the NRL games?

Given the NRL overwhelmingly uses multi-code venues (i.e. places that also host Rugby or Soccer) and is played in winter, it's not just stupid, its poorly thought out.

Most venues are hesitant to host events with curtain raisers regularly as it can compromise the surface. Just the way it is in the modern game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are some positive reasons to have a reserve grade, catering to the 150 fans who'll turn up 2.5 hours early to watch it isnt one of them.

Nuke

Staff member
In a roundabout kinda way, the above couple of posts do put forward some good reasons for a Reserve Grade return.
Back in the mid-1990s, Newcastle had in their halves Matthew and Andrew Johns. The Newcastle Reserve Grade team had in its halves Craig and Brett Kimmorley. Brett, who went on to premiership success and play for NSW and Australia, had to ply his trade in Reserve Grade, getting First Grade experience when Johns was out injured or suspended. Okay, that was a rare and freakish circumstance where two future Kangaroos halfbacks were coming up through in the one club at the same time, but the point I'm making is that if there were no Ressies comp then, Kimmorley would either be playing in a less competitive comp, gaining less experience, or have been recruited by another club and thrown into fulltime First Grade before he was ready.

I'm sure if you look back through all the years, bar the last 20yrs or so, most, if not all, of the best did a bit of time in the Ressies before hitting top grade.

MugaB

Coach
In a roundabout kinda way, the above couple of posts do put forward some good reasons for a Reserve Grade return.
Back in the mid-1990s, Newcastle had in their halves Matthew and Andrew Johns. The Newcastle Reserve Grade team had in its halves Craig and Brett Kimmorley. Brett, who went on to premiership success and play for NSW and Australia, had to ply his trade in Reserve Grade, getting First Grade experience when Johns was out injured or suspended. Okay, that was a rare and freakish circumstance where two future Kangaroos halfbacks were coming up through in the one club at the same time, but the point I'm making is that if there were no Ressies comp then, Kimmorley would either be playing in a less competitive comp, gaining less experience, or have been recruited by another club and thrown into fulltime First Grade before he was ready.

I'm sure if you look back through all the years, bar the last 20yrs or so, most, if not all, of the best did a bit of time in the Ressies before hitting top grade.
Nah man just make more hunter marnier type clubs, that'll fix things... besides you make way too much sence, yeah poor noddy got his break after defecting to the superleague, and if he didn't maybe he goes to another club, or sits behind joey for longer, either way being around joey and that red hot knights team, would easily garner more experience, hence why he ended up so good, or at least an rep player.. Sean O'Sullivan is another one right now, sitting behind Nathan Cleary, now off to redcliffe, but gained good experience at penrith

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given the NRls push for clubs to run their own reserve grade side, and throwing money at them to fund it, (and their attempts to control the NSWRL board) it would suggest they have a plan to have a stand alone ressie comp in the not too distant future.
Maybe the longer term plan is to have 3 grades on game where possible Reserves, NRLW and NRL?
Obviously some NRL game time slots dont lend itself well to that.

MugaB

Coach
Given the NRls push for clubs to run their own reserve grade side, and throwing money at them to fund it, (and their attempts to control the NSWRL board) it would suggest they have a plan to have a stand alone ressie comp in the not too distant future.
Maybe the longer term plan is to have 3 grades on game where possible Reserves, NRLW and NRL?
Obviously some NRL game time slots dont lend itself well to that.
Yeah, it might be nrlw only on weekends, since they have less teams, or those qrl clubs wont get a reserve grade play at the same ground if they are away... to me it seems like a scheduling nightmare, probably expect warriors and storm to remain on 6pm, and 8pm fridays forever

Iamback

Coach
Given the NRL overwhelmingly uses multi-code venues (i.e. places that also host Rugby or Soccer) and is played in winter, it's not just stupid, its poorly thought out.

Most venues are hesitant to host events with curtain raisers regularly as it can compromise the surface. Just the way it is in the modern game.

Even if they can't be on the same venue, Reserve grade and NRL should be on the same training schedule. This doesn't happen with a 3rd party is running reserve grade

Reactions: siv

Iamback

Coach

Lets use GC as the example.

Say the NRL side plays Friday night
Tweed heads play in Townsville on Sat or Sunday.

Those 5 or so fringe guys miss out on 2 days training with the senior squad, Making it hard to make changes. Even for those fringe guys to impress Holbrook to get into the side.

Having every side together means coaches can adjust training schedules or even keep them the same ( If they play on the same day)

MugaB

Coach

Those 5 or so fringe guys miss out on 2 days training with the senior squad, Making it hard to make changes. Even for those fringe guys to impress Holbrook to get into the side.

Having every side together means coaches can adjust training schedules or even keep them the same ( If they play on the same day)
Don't share the penrith playbook

mongoose

Coach
I agree that every move V'Landys makes is now through the gambling lens. His partners at News Ltd are now heavily invested in the industry.

This appears to be more gambling content.

Bruce Hatcher lays out very sound arguments to not change the current arrangements.
you just outed yourself as an AFL fan

Jimmy Wiggle

Juniors

I know the above is just an example but Titans fringe players were only required to do the captains run with Tweed or Burleigh and they would be in with the rest of the squad on the Monday and do recovery instead of a field session.

Qld Cup works fine, I do think NSW Cup works better with NRL clubs running the teams

Iamback

Coach
I know the above is just an example but Titans fringe players were only required to do the captains run with Tweed or Burleigh and they would be in with the rest of the squad on the Monday and do recovery instead of a field session.

Qld Cup works fine, I do think NSW Cup works better with NRL clubs running the teams

Which they would benefit from a field session, Especially if changes were due to be made

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah, it might be nrlw only on weekends, since they have less teams, or those qrl clubs wont get a reserve grade play at the same ground if they are away... to me it seems like a scheduling nightmare, probably expect warriors and storm to remain on 6pm, and 8pm fridays forever
Seems the NRL's plan is to have 18 NRL, NRLW and NRL reserve grade teams by 2028. I suppose it makes sense for tv as they have their camera crews there anyway so could stream/record all three games at little extra cost.