What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL rules out expansion in 2006

Front-Rower

First Grade
I agree with you on the Melbourne issue.

The game is NOT a NATIONAL game, and never will be. Just because the game's controlling body is called the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE doesn't mean you have to make it a national comp. You can't call the controlling body the "NSWQACTRL", so they condense it down to a national controlling body.

I think its time we look after our own code and breed it into areas in which rugby league thrives, be it the Gold Coast or Central Coast.

Who cares what the AFL do, who cares what any other code of football in this country does rugby league needs to be showcased in the 3 main areas of and for its existenst in Australia. If this can be achieved, which it is still slowly getting back on its feet, we can claim as rugby league fans to have to the most successful, enjoyable (to us supporters anyway) and skillful competition.

To end I'd like to see some of you people run the NRL if you think you know so much on how to run a business at a profit and keep everyone happy at the same time.

FileMan

Juniors
Front-Rower said:

The game is NOT a NATIONAL game, and never will be. Just because the game's controlling body is called the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE doesn't mean you have to make it a national comp. You can't call the controlling body the "NSWQACTRL", so they condense it down to a national controlling body.

I think its time we look after our own code and breed it into areas in which rugby league thrives, be it the Gold Coast or Central Coast.

Who cares what the AFL do, who cares what any other code of football in this country does rugby league needs to be showcased in the 3 main areas of and for its existenst in Australia. If this can be achieved, which it is still slowly getting back on its feet, we can claim as rugby league fans to have to the most successful, enjoyable (to us supporters anyway) and skillful competition.

To end I'd like to see some of you people run the NRL if you think you know so much on how to run a business at a profit and keep everyone happy at the same time.

:clap:

t-ba

Post Whore
Front-Rower said:

Because Aussie Rules was a national game back in the 1980's :roll: . The Melbourne franchise, regardless of crowds, creates more revenue through sponsorship for all the clubs than any other.

WHY? because it's a market of 3.5 million people and Australias second largest city set in Australia's second largest state. Telstra's reason for remaining the major sponsor on the competition is purely reliant on the existance of the Melbourne franchise. The value added to kit sponsorships from the existance of a Melbourne franchise is quite valuable to the clubs. Losing Melbourne is a serious blow for the game, not just for the perception of a 'national' competition, but also for all the clubs concerned. It is in everyones interests (Except Maybe Ch9 and News Limited.) to keep the Melbourne Franchise afloat.

GoldCoaster

Juniors
Front -rower or MARIO 8)

I don't think you have the feeling that you can only take your children down to meet there heros, maybe once every two years if they visit town. Children need to see what to aspire too. TV is a toy to them as well.

And your backyard has been slowing dieing for a while now, Maybe time to strenghten the comp instead of 50,000 marching Non existing fans. :oops:

choc_soldier

Coach
My patience for the NRL is wearing VERY thin now.

What a great decision! :roll:

I'm sure the ARU and AFL are doing cartwheels with this news. I would be if I was in the management of these two organisations.

t-ba

Post Whore
parra_panther said:
My patience for the NRL is wearing VERY thin now.

What a great decision! :roll:

I'm sure the ARU and AFL are doing cartwheels with this news. I would be if I was in the management of these two organisations.

Having a right good laugh at the Mungos I'd suggest. How funny it is that the English are now at the Vanguard of the games expansion while we're stuck in a Pre-Arko Mentality...

Front-Rower

First Grade
t-ba the hutt said:
Front-Rower said:

Because Aussie Rules was a national game back in the 1980's :roll: . The Melbourne franchise, regardless of crowds, creates more revenue through sponsorship for all the clubs than any other.

WHY? because it's a market of 3.5 million people and Australias second largest city set in Australia's second largest state. Telstra's reason for remaining the major sponsor on the competition is purely reliant on the existance of the Melbourne franchise. The value added to kit sponsorships from the existance of a Melbourne franchise is quite valuable to the clubs. Losing Melbourne is a serious blow for the game, not just for the perception of a 'national' competition, but also for all the clubs concerned. It is in everyones interests (Except Maybe Ch9 and News Limited.) to keep the Melbourne Franchise afloat.

:roll: Aussie Rules, the game which made South Melbourne relocate to Sydney. Maybe the NRL should force Melbourne or Manly for that instance to relocate to the Central Coast or Gold Coast.

Aussie Rules is also the game which forced a city to watch their game with very little interest until Tony Lockett came up here and they nearly won a flag. Can't say the same for Melbourne considering they did win a flag.

Telstra's sponsorship was always going to happen. They sponsored Super League so why not sponsor the NRL which is half owned by Super League. It has nothing to do with Melbourne, and its not as if nobody knows who Telstra is now ;-)

Look, its just one year.

Not ideal...but I think 2006 was cutting it fine anway.

Now, the NRL will be able to make a decision that will INCLUDE the extra finances they will recieve from TV contracts that are up at the same time.

12 months.....thats all. 12 months to get more weight behind all bids....

Having said that....in 12 months time they MUST announce who will get the 16th licence.

t-ba

Post Whore
Front-Rower said:
:roll: Aussie Rules, the game which made South Melbourne relocate to Sydney. Maybe the NRL should force Melbourne or Manly for that instance to relocate to the Central Coast or Gold Coast.

As I've stated, If Manly Goes under, I'm quite happy for them to relocate, or move aside for new blood. This game for me is bigger than any one club for me, and I think it's a shame that some people support the game contingent on their clubs existance.

Aussie Rules is also the game which forced a city to watch their game with very little interest until Tony Lockett came up here and they nearly won a flag. Can't say the same for Melbourne considering they did win a flag.

Shoved it down our throats until 25,000 started turning up to every game. The storm are hardly pushed like the Swans were and still are. The lack of effort reeks of typical News Limited Corner cutting on this game since they tried to kill the games soul.

Telstra's sponsorship was always going to happen. They sponsored Super League so why not sponsor the NRL which is half owned by Super League. It has nothing to do with Melbourne, and its not as if nobody knows who Telstra is now ;-)

There's also a clause in their sponsorship that states they can pull out when Melbourne departs...

pcpp

Juniors
Hoggy said:
What are you going to do about it?

Cyberhero.

Sigh. :lol: :roll:

You deserve an award for that comment :lol: :roll:

Back to the topic, AFL relocated Sth Melbourne to unfamilar territory. Moving Melbourne to GC or CC is WAY different as they are percieved as Rugby League strongholds.

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
If i was in charge i would have it like this:

North Queensland Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Sharks (Relocation of Cronulla--->Dragons take over that area lost)
Newcastle Knights
Central Coast Bears (16th team)
Manly Sea Eagles
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Canturbury/Bankstown Bulldogs
Wests Tigers
Sydney Roosters
St George Illawarra Dragons
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
New Zealand (Aukland) Warriors
Souths (relocation of rabbits to south island NZ)

16 team

JK

They can justify Souths,Manly and a floating Bulldogs

Hey!

If it wasn't for the fines we pay every year the NRL would be already broke! :lol: 8)

JK

CULLUS.ONLINE said:
Gold Coast Sharks (Relocation of Cronulla--->Dragons take over that area lost)

Yep.

Central Coast Bears (16th team)
Souths (relocation of rabbits to south island NZ)

I think you should have this the other way around. Rabbitohs would do very well on cc.

Canterbury/Bankstown Bulldogs

YES! Bring us back home!

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
I don't think any team should relocate to the Gold Coast. They deserve their own team, there is plenty of talent in the Queensland Cup, plus I am sure we would get some big, experienced signings. I am sure some of the QLD Cup teams would beat some of the rubbish going around in the NRL, and the big bonus there is that Burleigh is leading the Queensland Cup at this stage.

Perhaps allowing one of the Sydney teams to relocate to the Central Coast would be a good idea. Leave Melbourne where it is, they might only get 9000 people to their games (on average), but what do u expect when Telstra Dome and the MCG get crowds of at least 30 000-40 000 week in week out? The Swans succeeded in a League town, Melbourne should copy what the Swans did and harass the Melbourne public.

Melbourne also has quite a strong following up here in QLD due to the fact that most of their players come from Norths.

t-ba

Post Whore
Hypotheticall speaking, I'd agree with Cullus. Except perhaps for an Easts/Souths Merger and a Unique NZ identity to be brought in. But a Manly fan commenting on who should relocate/merge is a pot calling the kettle black!

dimitri

First Grade
50% goes directly to News Limited's Super League $220 million debt

Actually News Ltd take their share as profit, and an extra $10mil. That $10mil is the only thing that takes off their debt. The other money is for them to keep.

And no one forced News Ltd to spend $220mil on Super League. A lot of people would have preferred it if they didn't.

i agree 100%

i cant believe after f**king our game up, killing perth and adelaide, taking the tv rights for nothing as well as killing sports australia and c7 in the meantime, they have the audacity to keep taking money out of our game

super league

a super idea to kill our game

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Don't give the Gold Coast the sharks. It would be a big move and to be honest, you would not see the Gold Coast getting behind a relocated team.

Brand new start, brand new players/lineup, brand new fans and supporter base.

Latest posts