What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Rules that Suck the Kumara

TheDMC

Bench
An article today in Daily Telegraph with Roosters coach whining about Golden Point concept got me thinking about the NRL rules that drive me nuts. Would be interested to hear what rules you guys think need addressing or whether all is hunky dory.

For me:

1) Torso try - pathetically ridiculous, was this rule made up by a double amputee 5-year old? And why?

2) Interpretation of knock on - Often knock back ruled knock on. Rugby Union refs seem to judge this accurately easily enough.

3) Penalties for minor infringement - as discussed recently kick and new set often means punishment far outweighs crime, I like the idea someone had of no kick but new set for minor infringements

4) Line drop out - this rule essentially means teams 90% of the time attacking team kick on last tackle, would be great to see more running...maybe the drop out could be from the 20 meter line?

5) Penalty for shoulder contact on head when a player slips into it - 90% of time the tackler could not avoid it...no culpability at all. Hate it. May as well just ban the shoulder charge rather than this malarky.

ozbash

Referee
I hate (with a vengeance) it when refs call a player back from taking a quick penalty tap because the opposing team either arnt defensivly set or arnt back 10. Really tweaks my mams...

The shoulder charge rule is a joke. if you hit someone and the force of impact propells the weak bastards head forward,, you get penalised.. dumb..

Blair

Coach
Hookers not contesting the ball in the scrum. Why this rule was changed all those years ago I don't know. I suppose one reason was that if you've knocked on, for example, then you don't deserve a chance to regain posession in a scrum.

Gus Gould made a decent point the other night too (talking up Barba). The inter-change rule favours the big guys, as they rotate and get a rest. Before this rule the game favoured the little guys a lot more. As, according to theory, once the big guys tired the zippy littly guys ran riot and entertained everyone.

It made sense.

Last edited:

LeagueNut

First Grade
The usage of the video ref pisses me off big time. If the on-field refs make a call during the run of play, they shouldn't be able to go back and re-look at it just because a try has then been scored, or (even worse) "hold off" on making the call hoping that it turns into a scoring play. Have the bloody guts to make a call and stick to it!!

_addict

Juniors
Golden point

Don't have it.. ..ever

Regular season - drawn points at the end of regular time means 1 point each.

Finals - extra time, whoever gets the most points in that time wins, repeat till there's a result.

In summary go back to how it was pre-GP

2 points for the bye.

%*()*&!!! rack off! You should get points for acheiving something. *^&&* Bloody PC twats.

TheDMC

Bench
All good points.

Might add the video referee reviewing contact when ref stopping play as someone down 'injured' and then a penalty being awarded tho infringement originally missed. Talk about an incentive for soccer type pussy hollywooding...

MKEB...

Staff member
Guys running as blockers for a guy looking to take a bomb...why not make this like the NFL and have attacking players able to knock the blockers out of the way so the likes of Manu can get a fair go at trying to get to the ball.

Obviously blocking is illegal, but the refs really dont seem to do anything about it.

Skram

Juniors
I hate (with a vengeance) it when refs call a player back from taking a quick penalty tap because the opposing team either arnt defensivly set or arnt back 10. Really tweaks my mams...

This one pisses me off too, especially when the ref is correctly positioned then there's no reason for it.
I can understand if one of the refs isn't in the right place yet but half the time they're standing on the spot with their arm out and still disallowing the quick tap. It really negates the tap as an option most of the time which almost makes it pointless as the strength of the quick tap is to catch the retreating defense while it's still in tatters. Would seem like favouritism if they weren't for the fact they do it to every team.

Rich102

Staff member
My pet hate is players defending on their goal line whith the front foot in the field of play - or in Steve Matai's case both feet in front of the line. 10 meters is just that - all parts of the body behind the line. When was the last time we saw this penalised?

Also I hate marginal knock-on's. The attacking team gets no advantage so just play on.

vvvrulz

Coach
My two cents:
- Allowing a strip when an attacker is in the in-goal is stupid
- Strips in general are really policed badly although that's more down to bad refereeing.
- The grounding rules are of course a joke, if you lose control that should be it.
- Some teams get away with a lot of forward passes (Cam Smith)

Golden point is silly but entertaining.

League rules in general aren't too bad though compared to Yawnion.

Meth

Staff member
Grounding rules are a joke, as most have mentioned.

I hate how voluntary tackles are never penalized. I also hate how when players commit voluntary tackles and the defenders come and pick them up to drag them back into the in-goal or over the sideline, they are usually penalized.

vvvrulz

Coach
Oh that reminds me there is zero policing for someone taking the dive, and its starting to happen a fair bit.

Meth

Staff member
That's a tough one. Obviously, I think we should default to taking precautions and not assuming that a player has taken a dive. There's not really a way to police it, is there?

Warmess

Juniors
I'd say no video ref for those kinds of things. The review committee during the week should pick up on that stuff. If a ref doesn't blow a penalty at the time of the tackle, play on.

vvvrulz

Coach
As Warmness said leave it to the judiciary to handle dives. The ref should have the power to report incidents where a player is down in 'agony' and then magically gets up and plays on. Don't do anything on the field but during the week they can check the tape and punish accordingly.

Its starting to happen a lot, and you've seen the kind of crap that goes on in soccer unpunished.

Meth

Staff member
I honestly don't see how you can police it aside from to appeal to players' sense of sportsmanship and integrity.

JoeD

First Grade
I'm not really fussed about any rule in particular, I just wish every rule was applied consistently. I hate when they have a 'clampdown' on a particular rule and then 3 weeks later everyone has forgotten about it. there should be a 'clampdown' on every rule, every week.

Meth

Staff member
I'm not really fussed about any rule in particular, I just wish every rule was applied consistently. I hate when they have a 'clampdown' on a particular rule and then 3 weeks later everyone has forgotten about it. there should be a 'clampdown' on every rule, every week.

yes!!

vvvrulz

Coach

Just reminded me of that Kevin Locke penalty in the Tigers semi-final, for coming in too late or something ridiculous.