What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/CBA -2023 - 2027

Maximus

Coach
Without seeing full segmented financial information I'm unwilling to take a side here.

My last employer gave me a 2% pay rise, a month later they told us to raise all fees by 6%. If the client asked why we were told to say labour cost increases.

Luckily for my firm I helped them out with their labour costs by reducing mine by 100%.

Yep, unless someone here works for the NRL, nobody here knows the actual details, just what their side wants them to know.

The NRL like to talk about increasing payments by 37%, which sounds like a great deal, but if they've increased revenue by 80% for example, it's actually a shit deal for the players.

Iamback

Coach
Yep, unless someone here works for the NRL, nobody here knows the actual details, just what their side wants them to know.

The NRL like to talk about increasing payments by 37%, which sounds like a great deal, but if they've increased revenue by 80% for example, it's actually a shit deal for the players.

Except the players say it isn't about money.

So the figures must add up

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed. Do you think the NRL should have some say over how it is spent? I tend to think that's reasonable if you are putting in a heap of $$$
Id want to see what is the norm in other equivalent level sports. I know some sports the PA controls the funds, invests them, dishes them out etc etc. The players would argue their money, their control I'd suggest.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Except the players say it isn't about money.

So the figures must add up
Its not, the int rep payments bit aside. Its about control of the players allocated money, and impacting competition decisions that they still feel they are not part of the decision making on.
TBH Ive no problem them fighting for control of the players allocated money, their money their choices what they do with it.
making decisions on the game should be the ARLC's job, its not independent as it is given the clubs and two states bodies all have a big say in it but adding yet another conflict of interest group is hardly going to be good for the game.

Bit rich for Abdo to talk about themselves as an independent body though given it is anything but independent! Between clubs, two state bodies and media influence it is a very long way from an independent governing body.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
"As one of the leaders of the game, I......." - Clint Newton

LMAO. Since when was Newton a leader of the game?

GlisteningShorttermDartfrog-size_restricted.gif

Delboy

First Grade
Reading these comments, one thing is obvious, Perth Red’s hatred for all things Abdo and PVL over rides any sense in his views. No admin would hand control of funds and veto to an over his head player CEO who is appearing basically attempting to shore up his position no matter the cost. As much as I think Sticky is a pain! His view today that most players haven’t had any say in the currrent situation seems on the mark.

The CBA started as a vehicle to improve the cap, that was agreed, so Newton found another area to delay agreement, the bottom 6 in the roster get $150k, tell that to people on the average wage working overtime to make ends meet, or those on fixed incomes or pensions/super. Be honest, most of the increase will go to the top 4/5 in the teams, but the average wage is $380k pa. Dont forget , Newton dumped Miss World to concentrate on his football career which didn’t go that far, says enough .

Perth Red

Post Whore
No admin would hand control of funds and veto to an over his head player CEO who is appearing basically attempting to shore up,his position no matter the cost. As much as I think Sticky is a pain! His view today that most players haven’t had any say in the currrent situation seems on the mark.

The CBA started as a vehicle to improved the cap, that was agreed, so Newton found another area to delay agreement, the bottom 6 in the roster get $150k, tell that to people on the average wage working overtime to make ends meet, or those on fixed incomes or pensions/super. Be honest, most of the increase will go to the top 4/5 in the teams, but the average wage is $380k pa. Dont forget , Newton dumped Miss World to concentrate on his football career which didn’t go that far, says enough .
Except others have. There are other examples where the player funding is managed and controlled by the players association. Players money, players should control it. RLPA is a players union and the players control it. If they don't like its direction they can change its management.

50 player reps from 17 clubs met last week. Ricky saying players are young and dumb and dont know whats happening is pretty offensive to the players!

Again NRL wants to keep the media, and there by us plebian's, focus on the salaries but thats not where the disagreement lies. Its in control and decision making.
1. Control of the player funding pool
2. Control of personal data in medical info
3. Decisions on the comp that impact players

the only mention of money I've seen is the Int funding component. which is pretty minor in the grand scheme of the hundreds of millions we are talking in player funding.

As for my dislike of vlandys and his hand puppet, if it walks like duck .....
1. TV deal
2. NSW Stadium deal
3. NSWRL fight
4. Players CBA

not exactly a great track record of negotiations is it!

Delboy

First Grade
No competition in the world gives players that sort of veto and control. Abdo agreed on most points but wanted safeguards on ensuring the fund remained protected in funds balance , Newton as usual wants everything. The NRL needs to ensure the future funding and growth etc is not wasted, and giving carte blanche to the RLPA is verging on utter stupidity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No competition in the world gives players that sort of veto and control. Abdo agreed on most points but wanted safeguards on ensuring the fund remained protected in funds balance , Newton as usual wants everything. The NRL needs to ensure the future funding and growth etc is not wasted, and giving carte blanche to the RLPA is verging on utter stupidity.
you're wrong lol A lot of the major sports give the money to the players association to manage directly. Its only stupid if you dont trust the players, and I guess this is where the animosity is coming from. Basically NRL telling them they dont trust them to manage their own money.
I dont see the NRl putting the same stipulation on the $290mill a year its giving to the clubs??

Clarkent

Juniors
Reading these comments, one thing is obvious, Perth Red’s hatred for all things Abdo and PVL over rides any sense in his views. No admin would hand control of funds and veto to an over his head player CEO who is appearing basically attempting to shore up his position no matter the cost. As much as I think Sticky is a pain! His view today that most players haven’t had any say in the currrent situation seems on the mark.

The CBA started as a vehicle to improve the cap, that was agreed, so Newton found another area to delay agreement, the bottom 6 in the roster get $150k, tell that to people on the average wage working overtime to make ends meet, or those on fixed incomes or pensions/super. Be honest, most of the increase will go to the top 4/5 in the teams, but the average wage is $380k pa. Dont forget , Newton dumped Miss World to concentrate on his football career which didn’t go that far, says enough .
The bit on Sticky is laughable. The senior players on the Raiders are sharing the RLPA post and supporting it all the way. Stickys probably frustrated because the players ain't telling him anything

Clarkent

Juniors
Except others have. There are other examples where the player funding is managed and controlled by the players association. Players money, players should control it. RLPA is a players union and the players control it. If they don't like its direction they can change its management.

50 player reps from 17 clubs met last week. Ricky saying players are young and dumb and dont know whats happening is pretty offensive to the players!

Again NRL wants to keep the media, and there by us plebian's, focus on the salaries but thats not where the disagreement lies. Its in control and decision making.

the only mention of money I've seen is the Int funding component. which is pretty minor in the grand scheme of the hundreds of millions we are talking in player funding.

1. TV deal
2. NSW Stadium deal
3. NSWRL fight
4. Players CBA

Spot on 👏🏽 all people see is money hungry but don't get the full picture

Iamback

Coach

1. TV deal
2. NSW Stadium deal
3. NSWRL fight
4. Players CBA

1- Cricket is controlled by Cricket Australia and is capped at $500 a year, AFL too has limits... Yet what is the NRLPA proposing?

It sounds like they want an open slather, hence why NRL want to be part of it

2- Don't the NRL need the medical data? Particularly if a player wants to come back and claim the game cause long term injury. I'd be surprised if other sports don't do the same thing

3- Abdo claims they had an agreement sent across that if the season was going to be extended by 2 weeks, That the players would have a say.

Iamback

Coach
Spot on 👏🏽 all people see is money hungry but don't get the full picture

Take the 1st point PR raised, What exactly do the players want to do with the money?

I am happy to help them if they need it but If a player goes to ESL, bush footy or is in a highly paid media/Coaching role then they should ineligible.

Newton hasn't given much detail to change the money hungry angle

So what if some players just decide to cross the picket line on the weekend and give interviews? Darcie looks pretty persuasive to me.