What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/CBA -2023 - 2027

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of course 9 and fox are pi$#ed off, they've lost a large part of thier content through no fault of thier own.

Give it a week or 2 and Fox and 9 will be negotiating a reduced deal like they did in Covid.
I’m sure pistol Pete will make sure they dont catch a cold!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Id want to see what is the norm in other equivalent level sports. I know some sports the PA controls the funds, invests them, dishes them out etc etc. The players would argue their money, their control I'd suggest.
It's a good point, I'm not sure what other sports do. I do share the concern of the NRL though, they want to pour money into funds that are actually going to make a difference, they don't want to turn around in 10 years and see it get pissed up against the wall

siv

First Grade
How much of the tv deal do you think the NRL would get without the players? The players are the product, they are the ones responsible for the increase.
While players are important

We need to let the players play and Admins admin

otherwise you will end end up with

Retired players becoming admins

And the cycle repeats in a few years.

Newtown already has been too long retired to represent the players. Once young players realise this, get near retirement and want his job he will get the boot

Wb1234

Referee
How does afl managed to sort out its cba and club funding without threats of strikes or super league

I suspect their stakeholders have a greater sense of responsibility to their game

annoying media rights holders as we are trying to negotiate our next tv deal isn’t the smartest thing the players could be doing

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's a good point, I'm not sure what other sports do. I do share the concern of the NRL though, they want to pour money into funds that are actually going to make a difference, they don't want to turn around in 10 years and see it get pissed up against the wall
its the players money, its up to them. Like the clubs. I dont see the NRL wanting to control how the clubs are spending the $290mil a year they are getting from the NRL? I can see why the players are pssed that the NRL doesnt trust them with their own money, its very paternalistic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How does afl managed to sort out its cba and club funding without threats of strikes or super league

I suspect their stakeholders have a greater sense of responsibility to their game

annoying media rights holders as we are trying to negotiate our next tv deal isn’t the smartest thing the players could be doing
In the AFL the PA is given the money and left to control it.

MugaB

Coach
its the players money, its up to them. Like the clubs. I dont see the NRL wanting to control how the clubs are spending the $290mil a year they are getting from the NRL? I can see why the players are pssed that the NRL doesnt trust them with their own money, its very paternalistic.
Admin should be admining... the players are being paid, yet they want control over all of it.. ffs how are not getting this... what business lets the workers decide on the accounting structure of said business...
They want all these funds for retired players and injuries, yet cant pay their own medical

Perth Red

Post Whore
Admin should be admining... the players are being paid, yet they want control over all of it.. ffs how are not getting this... what business lets the workers decide on the accounting structure of said business...
They want all these funds for retired players and injuries, yet cant pay their own medical
What business pays it staff then dictates to staff how they spend their money? End of the day this is the players entitlements and money and they should decide how it is managed. If they want NRL to control it fine, but sounds like they want their representative body to control it, which is also fine BECAUSE ITS THEIR MONEY.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agree on the money to the clubs, not how it is spent but at least have some KPI's tied to it. Re: the players, I could be wrong, but aren't we talking about funds the NRL is investing in? I would want to make sure it's properly invested too.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach

The players have 50% of control over their retirement benefits in the NFL. Why should the NRL players not get the same?

Iamback

Coach
What business pays it staff then dictates to staff how they spend their money? End of the day this is the players entitlements and money and they should decide how it is managed. If they want NRL to control it fine, but sounds like they want their representative body to control it, which is also fine BECAUSE ITS THEIR MONEY.

Every company does this.

How many people on here can just go to their employer and say I doing a 1st aid course or something and they just hand over cash?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agree on the money to the clubs, not how it is spent but at least have some KPI's tied to it. Re: the players,

I could be wrong, but aren't we talking about funds the NRL is investing in? I would want to make sure it's properly invested too.
No we are talking about the players entitlements they have negotiated and is their money. The NRL isnt "investing' in anything any more than the Ch9 BS when they were spouting about how much they'd "invested" in the game that they felt had been wasted.
Your employer doesn't dictate to you which superann fund they will contribute your money into, this is no different.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No we are talking about the players entitlements they have negotiated and is their money. The NRL isnt "investing' in anything any more than the Ch9 BS when they were spouting about how much they'd "invested" in the game that they felt had been wasted.
Your employer doesn't dictate to you which superann fund they will contribute your money into, this is no different.
Ok, if that's the case then fair enough

The players have 50% of control over their retirement benefits in the NFL. Why should the NRL players not get the same?

Thing is, based on what has been made publicly available, the RLPA want the players to have 100% control over the retirement fund. Bit of a difference.