What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Salary Cap/CBA -2023 - 2027

Munky

Coach
I’m not taking sides on this one, all I can really say is LOL at the media thinking they speak on behalf of the fans. They haven’t in a long time.

My favourite is that the two most vitriolic media organisations in this whole affair are Nine and Newscorp.

Who coincidentally hold the media rights for the game.

If I pissed off my indirect contract holder in a negotiation I'd take it as confirmation I was doing something right.

taste2taste

Juniors
My favourite is that the two most vitriolic media organisations in this whole affair are Nine and Newscorp.

Who coincidentally hold the media rights for the game.

If I pissed off my indirect contract holder in a negotiation I'd take it as confirmation I was doing something right.
Of course 9 and fox are pi$#ed off, they've lost a large part of thier content through no fault of thier own.

Give it a week or 2 and Fox and 9 will be negotiating a reduced deal like they did in Covid.

Last edited:

taste2taste

Juniors
I think the media ban is far greater than people realise. It's more than a few cliche interviews pre and post game. My reading of the statement from the RLPA is it's a total media ban Thur, fri, sat and sun and only club websites can conduct interviews Mon, Tues and wed.

Radio, print and television rely on Interviews for thier content, without them there's no NRL stories on the news, sound bites for radio news or 8 minute feature stories on The Sunday Footy Show.... we'll only have articles like 'Joey's round 18 tips '

Less interviews = less media coverage...that's not a good thing, especially if AFL and Rugby Union articles start filling the void.

Nutz

Bench
Of course 9 and fox are pi$#ed off, they've lost a large part of thier content through no fault of thier own.

Give it a week or 2 and Fox and 9 will be negotiating a reduced deal like they did in Covid.
Yep, I can see Clint and the girls cutting their own throats.
Don't they realise that good player media actually promotes the players. It's a springboard for their careers.
Look at the Dolphins centre V. Te Whare in his block busting debut. He did an interview then the cameras followed him to his family and friends and filmed him doing the haka. Now the lad is getting NRL time.
I'm not saying he wouldn't have made it but it certainly helped his cause. A club like the tigers come have offered him big dollars to play for them based on the hype of that first game. Well maybe not officially just yet ha ha.
If tonight after tigers v sharks one of the players forgets and chats to the media, what happens to him regarding the union??
Sorry if this has already beed said.

Clarkent

Juniors
You do realise the proposal is for the NRL playing group to fund this? When 90% of nrl players don’t play international football. This isn’t a pot of money the NRL are paying for out of their pockets.

From Welch's tweet. I actually agree with him. Why should it come out of the players pockets. Nrl should be paying for it

Yep, unless someone here works for the NRL, nobody here knows the actual details, just what their side wants them to know.

The NRL like to talk about increasing payments by 37%, which sounds like a great deal, but if they've increased revenue by 80% for example, it's actually a shit deal for the players.
Has the player performance increased by 80%? If not, then maybe the part of the business responsible should get the bulk of the increase.

Players are taking the piss.

Clarkent

Juniors
Has the player performance increased by 80%? If not, then maybe the part of the business responsible should get the bulk of the increase.

Players are taking the piss.
Player performance increased? Wtf does that even mean?? This year's probably the closest it's ever been in the nrl. Player performance or not, you can't expect every player to perform at a high level every single game its impossible

Willie Ray

Bench
I wonder if the players know that their Rep was a mediocre backrower
back in the day, who ditched Jen Hawkins to concentrate on his football....
this is not a guy who should be in charge of making important decisions.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I'm am off to get elbow patches on my tweed jacket. Move along you young punks, pay is for professionals.

1908 vibe from the wannabe union overlords.

Stay firm. f**k the rich merkins.