What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoop

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
That's funny - only if you knew what lineman had to do in order to be successful. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if both of those guys could dunk a basketball.

We play with full 10ft high rings here. When did you guys switch to using 8ft rings?

Choppies

Coach
MORE FATTIES!!!!!!!
And a nice little article to go with them
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/05/1059849382829.html?oneclick=true

180-sam_adams.JPG

937-jamal_williams.JPG

565-ted_washington.JPG

rhs_nfl.jpg

NPK

Bench
Those fat bastards wouldn't last 10 minutes playing rugby league. Honestly, they are obese and unfit. They are strong, yea, but in league you have to be able to run.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Bee
You are going around in circles. There is no Rugby Friday Night Football show anywhere in the world.

And if you only watch live Rugby, you mustn't have seen a game for about 3 weeks, when Super 12 ended.

And to prove your utter stupidity, this is not a Rugby forum. This is a LEAGUE forum. You need to address these errors, lest you log onto www.wimbledon.com, and start bagging lawn bowls.

Where did I mention anything about union here? Play the stupid game with someone else, moderator

You wre talking about 'Rugby', which refers to Union.

If you are going to debate League, get the name right.

Misty Bee

First Grade
OK, lets get the Seppo's argument straight.

1) Padding is a weapon

Obviously being hit by a soft, foam object rates high in th USA's fear factor. But you have to hand it to Gridiron CEO-s - they invented Basketball to keep their athletes fit over winter. The also invented pillow fights to train their juniors.

Rugby League actually has a similar concept of the aggressive pillow. It's called a Chris Walker tackle.

No doubt the point is lost on you that us League pussies cop things that are weaker than your aggressive foam. Things like elbows, knees, shoulder charges - none of which would inflict an ounce of pain on a average bloke padded up to look like Michelin Man.

2) Gridiron players are more active during a game

Hmm, on average 50% of the time they sit on their quoit on the sideline. Obviously the main physical stress there is trying to fit 20 fatly padded arses on 20 normal chairs - invitably, somone dosn't fit, falls down, and resums the jostle. Such movement, with 200kg of padding, would test the stamina of Nathan Hindmarsh!

Dickhead, you can't seriously think that spreading a team that plays half a game (approx 40 minutes) over FOUR HOURS to be strenuous! Especially when your argument is based on the fact that for every play, all bodies are in motion. Same in league. It's called a defensive line in the 10m rule.

3) Americans have superior athletes

We dispelled that one at the last 2 olympics. And, unlike US teams, we didn't need steroids.

Why are Australians so fitter? Maybe something to do with the fact that every suburb, town, outback post or community has access to a swimming pool and a sports field. IN the USA, where a sizeable chunk of population is locked up in ghettos (Yes, we have areas of poor urban housing, but I can still show the pools and sportsfields available to those who live in Redfern, Claymore or Mt Druitt), no such advantage exists. Australian lifestyle is, overall, far better than the average US lifestyle. And we have more chance of living our natural life, and not being gunned down because of outdated gun laws.

And finally, last Wednesday we saw a classic example of how League players are far more skilled that Gridiron players. Which Gridiron player in history has, during ONE game, showed the same array of skills as Andrew Johns did?

camsmith

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
OK, lets get the Seppo's argument straight.

1) Padding is a weapon

Obviously being hit by a soft, foam object rates high in th USA's fear factor. But you have to hand it to Gridiron CEO-s - they invented Basketball to keep their athletes fit over winter. The also invented pillow fights to train their juniors.
[snip - bullsh*t]

Australian lifestyle is, overall, far better than the average US lifestyle. And we have more chance of living our natural life, and not being gunned down because of outdated gun laws.

And finally, last Wednesday we saw a classic example of how League players are far more skilled that Gridiron players. Which Gridiron player in history has, during ONE game, showed the same array of skills as Andrew Johns did?

Same array of skills? well in two completly DIFFERENT sports i doubt you will get skills that are the same. Dickhead.

If you mean, one player taking control of a game.. then it happens quite often in Gridiron.

Also, what the Fkn hell does gun laws have to do with ANYTHING on this thread. You're just an american hating tool.

Before you write any more crap, go down to your local gridiron club, Chuck on some gear and line up against another well expierenced guy...stand ten meters apart and then try and run through the other guy. You might then learn that a helmet can be used as a weapon.

Its pretty funny the number of people that call Gridiron a pussy sport go quiet the minute you ask them to come down and train with us just for one night... so far not one person after dissing American Football has ever backed it up by comming down and training.. wonder why that is :rolleyes:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Cam, my 'local' Gridiron club is probably close to 400kms away.

How lethal is a helmet? A helmet is about as hard as a human skull - the design of a helmet being to protect the wearer. Bones break far more easily than helmets - that's why they are compulsory attire to motorcyclists.

To even suggest that Gridoron players wear helmets because they would hurt the opposition more is just tripe.

Back in the last 1970's, and LA based businessman called Mike Myers (no relation..) spent a considerable amount of time and money trying to establist Rugby League on the west coast. The catalyst of his actions resulted in the Veterans Stadium Origin game in 1987.

Sadly the code never got off the ground. Reason? Insurance companies. They wouldn't insure players for head injuries without wearing helmets.

Same array of skills? well in two completly DIFFERENT sports i doubt you will get skills that are the same

Correct. What Andrew Johns can do in attack and defence would probably require 4 or 5 people in Gridiron.

BTW, most of the tools of my trade are made in the USA. I have no problem with them, except stupid ones like you.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Fair dinkum, Attammarrap, some of those blokes would make Mark Tookey look like Ally McBeal! How anyone could suggest those slobs would play NRL is utterly beyond comprehension!

And they even wear their jumpers back to front.

camsmith

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Cam, my 'local' Gridiron club is probably close to 400kms away.

Well, drive 400km.

How lethal is a helmet? A helmet is about as hard as a human skull - the design of a helmet being to protect the wearer. Bones break far more easily than helmets - that's why they are compulsory attire to motorcyclist. To even suggest that Gridoron players wear helmets because they would hurt the opposition more is just tripe.

A skull is as hard as a helmet? :rolleyes: i dont see any RL players tackle with their heads... are you stupid?
I never said helmets are "meant" as weapons.. just saying that it can be used as one and can hurt alot more than if you were to be tackled with just a shoulder.

Correct. What Andrew Johns can do in attack and defence would probably require 4 or 5 people in Gridiron.

Well... for instance, A linerbacker who has been making tackles all day makes a intecept and returns it for a TD.. thats a game breaker which requires a huge amount of skill. A qb may not make tackles.. but the good ones lay blocks on the opposition to create holes.

BTW, most of the tools of my trade are made in the USA. I have no problem with them, except stupid ones like you.

Im 100% Aussie.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Guts?

LOL

You've answered nothing and when fact is put infront of you your first line is always.... "But in the NRL...." followed by irrelevant blubbering.

The things you can't answer, you ignore.

For example:

IF NFL players have, in your geniused opinion, more stamina that NRL players, why does an NFL player have to play only 30 minutes of a 210 minute (actual time) long contact sport game and an NRL player has to play 60 - 80 minutes of a 90 minute (actual time) match?

See?

Put your nappy back on, tuck in the pebbles you left in there and go back to where you came from, they're missing a genius.

I finally pointed out that you ignored two whole posts. Nothing in response from those two posts. Then you come back with the childlike game of no, your ignoring my posts and so that's your reasoning for not answering mine. Nah, nah, you did it first sort of attitude.

You won't answer anything from those two posts cause you too damn scared and you can't answer them. This is why you won't. But here's your chance to prove me wrong. You say I'm full of it, so it should be that much easier for you do prove it so. But you won't.

And for your parsing of time alloted to players in each sport of actually playing, would hold up if you'd realize the obvious; one sport has constant one-on-one contact while the other does not. Football is about beating the man across from you on EVERY play. League just isn't played like this.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
bot of hose?

They'd only catch an NRL player if the NRL player had a burger strapped to them.

The problem with your world view is that defensive lineman are used to tackling players like this.....

• Minnesota running backs coach Dean Dalton said this week that, in some 100-meter races this summer, Vikings tailback and one-time Olympics sprint candidate Michael Bennett was clocked in 9.91 seconds. If that's true, the four-year veteran running back might finally be past the injuries that have plagued him the past two seasons and derailed his promising career for a while. Since earning a Pro Bowl berth in 2002, when he rushed for 1,296 yards on 255 carries....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2088145&num=2

Needless to say, no one in league is anywhere close to this sort combination size/speed.

ozhawk66

Juniors
snoopster77 said:
We play with full 10ft high rings here. When did you guys switch to using 8ft rings?

Dunk in my vocab means 10 feet. One of the many tests they give is how high can they jump from a standing position. And many of those fat slobs can dunk, from a standing position. Translation, they carry that weight rather well.

ozhawk66

Juniors
NPK said:
Those fat bastards wouldn't last 10 minutes playing rugby league. Honestly, they are obese and unfit. They are strong, yea, but in league you have to be able to run.

That's the funny part about this myth league fans have of the bigger players. Can't play a match? :lol: A league match doesn't even make for a full practice session for these guys. Those NFL coaches run those players into the ground to get em the level of shape needed to play in the NFL.

Imagine a club playing 3,4,5 matches in one day. That's what they are put through in two-a-days practices.

Way to many millions involved for those guys NOT to be in shape.

Jae

Juniors
And many of those fat slobs can dunk, from a standing position. Translation, they carry that weight rather well.

Those fat slobs are also quite often up near 6'8 so of course they can dunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.