What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

Juniors
Idiot. The major flaw in the report, by some broad in Carolina, used the BMI (Body Mass Index) without! considering height-to-weight ratio that does not consider body muscle versus fat. ... !

Get it! That's why the so called report was debunked.

Show me ANYTHING saying it was "debunked" you ignorant genius. Seriously, do you have selective eyesight or something? You haven't proved anything yet you're furthering this mythological argument about how wrong the article is. Prove it. If it was so "debunked" by the mass media, then surely you can provide a news article or something that proves it. You can't keep saying "that's why it was debunked" etc when YOU HAVEN'T PROVED IT WAS DEBUNKED. Have you got reading comprehension problems? Is all this beyond you? Show me proof, otherwise shut the hell up.

wheres the link saying it?

I don't even wanna speculate on that one.

Choppies

Coach
I dont think your gonna get a link from him proving your article is rubbish.

Ozhawk dosent provide links to articles I dont think.

aqua_duck

Coach
Honestly BMI is the most ridiculous system ever invented.
If your short and stocky, BMI says your obese or overweight.
this is how is calculated

weight in kg/height in metres X2

It might be an appropriate system for women but not power athletes.
*According the BMI Shane Webcke and Carl Webb would be considered obese
*Sonny Bill Williams, arguably the best physcial specimen in the NRL would be considered overweight according to BMI.
*Even a little scrawny halfback like Brett Kimmorley is considered overweight.
If you used BMI on league players you'd find 95% of the NRL is either overweight or obese.

Jae

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
Honestly BMI is the most ridiculous system ever invented.
If your short and stocky, BMI says your obese or overweight.
this is how is calculated

weight in kg/height in metres X2

It might be an appropriate system for women but not power athletes.
*According the BMI Shane Webcke and Carl Webb would be considered obese
*Sonny Bill Williams, arguably the best physcial specimen in the NRL would be considered overweight according to BMI.
*Even a little scrawny halfback like Brett Kimmorley is considered overweight.
If you used BMI on league players you'd find 95% of the NRL is either overweight or obese.

You're right...

_1749582_refrigerator150.jpg

This guy isn't fat, it's just the stupid BMI getting it wrong.

aqua_duck

Coach
Well if the only thing you can respond with is a 300pound black guy in civilian clothes wearing a football jersey and holding a helmet probably in London then you probably should believe the BMI index.
Don't forget your beloved BMI says Webcke is obese

Jae

Juniors
... that's the guy Americans affectionately refer to as "The Fridge". An NFL legend as far as I'm aware. I could find you a hundred more 300+ guys from the NFL aswell.

ozhawk66 said:
English lesson #2.......

Main Entry: your
Pronunciation: y&r, 'yur, 'yOr, 'yor
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English Eower; akin to Old English Eow you -- more at [size=-1]YOU[/size]
1 : of or relating to you or yourself or yourselves especially as possessor or possessors <your bodies>, agent or agents <your contributions>, or object or objects of an action <your discharge>
2 : of or relating to one or oneself <when you face the north, east is at your right>
3 -- used with little or no meaning almost as an equivalent to the definite article the <a trait... that sets him apart from your average professor -- James Breckenridge>
pixt.gif

Jesus your dumb. Now, grow up and get over it.

Why do you keep posting proof that you're a grammatical spastic?

But the bold is a nice touch....

You're is short for you are, you posted that just to emphasise that you're a fool.

You use your as short for you are....

bzzzzzzzzzzz.

Wrong answer.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Choppies said:
I dont think your gonna get a link from him proving your article is rubbish.

Ozhawk dosent provide links to articles I dont think.

Seems every time I provide a link, it's ignored. And there is a certain someone on this list who does it well.

March 11, 2005

line_divider_317.gif

Unsportsmanlike BMI Deserves Huge Technical Foul

headline_2764.gif
As we told you last week, the same deeply flawed government standard that classifies millions of Americans as fat also considers 97 percent of pro football players "overweight" or "obese" -- including super-fit athletes like quarterback Donovan McNabb. Now, according to a new analysis, we're told that half of professional basketball players are technically "overweight." Informed that the Body Mass Index (BMI) -- which measures only height and weight -- lists him as obese, NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal threw down this slam-dunk response: "I've read that same formula, but as an athlete, I'm classified as phenomenal. You can look it up."

If you look it up, you'll find that basketball's LeBron James, baseball great Alex Rodriguez, and US swimmer Gary Hall Jr. are all officially "overweight." Technically "obese" stars include the likes of NFL quarterback Steve McNair, baseball slugger Sammy Sosa, and Mike Tyson. It doesn't take someone with the famed eye of Ted Williams to see this standard is flawed.

Of course, leading experts know the BMI is bogus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) admits that the BMI misclassifies many people, noting: "Overweight may or may not be due to increases in body fat. It may also be due to an increase in lean muscle." Even researcher George Bray admitted to the Associated Press: "No one has ever suggested it's the only criterion to use."

Unfortunately, the BMI is the only standard the government relies on, and it is the basis for false claims like 400,000 Americans die every year because of obesity. That's a serious problem. Public debates about obesity in America -- including the possibility of lawsuits against restaurants and food companies for making people fat -- are shaped by this unsporting BMI classification.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/2764

spacer.gif

line_divider_317.gif

National Fatties League?

The National Football League has flagged the Body Mass Index (BMI) standard as "bogus." The BMI provides the basis for a widely reported new study, published in the medical journal JAMA, which found that 57 percent of professional football players are "obese" and 97 percent are "overweight." No wonder the NFL is demanding an instant replay, calling the study "bogus for using players' body-mass index, a height-to-weight ratio that doesn't consider body muscle versus fat."

Football players are hardly the only victims of the BMI. According to the silly standard, 43 of 50 players in the last World Series, more than 75 of America's 2004 Olympians, and actors such as Matt Damon and Tom Cruise are officially too fat. While no one doubts linemen are frequently mucho gordo, here are some of the supposedly "obese" super-fit star players:

• Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, at 6'2" and 240 pounds, has a BMI of 31.
  • Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, at 6'4" and 264 pounds, has a BMI of 32.
  • Titans quarterback Steve McNair, at 6'2" and 235 pounds, has a BMI of 30.
  • Patriots running back Corey Dillon, at 6'1" and 225 pounds, has a BMI of 30.
  • Steelers running back Duce Staley, at 5'11" and 242 pounds, has a BMI of 34.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm?headline=2757

ozhawk66

Juniors
Jae said:
You're right...

This guy isn't fat, it's just the stupid BMI getting it wrong.

Idget. That's a late pic of a long retired Perry. He became famous because he was a slob who played both sides of the ball (Including a TD in the Stuper Bowl). So much for the mythical, only doing one thing conclusion, league fans have.......:rolleyes:

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Why do you keep posting proof that you're a grammatical spastic?

But the bold is a nice touch....

You're is short for you are, you posted that just to emphasise that you're a fool.

You use your as short for you are....

bzzzzzzzzzzz.

Wrong answer.

You're is short for you are? Where did you get that from? Nice of you to point that one out after I had already spelled it out for you in a prior post. Stating the obvious must make you feel big.

Your idiocy is complete if you can't recognize the diff what an apostrophe does to the word 'you' when it comes to the concept of : that which belongs to you -- used without a following noun as a pronoun equivalent in meaning to the adjective your; often used especially with an adverbial modifier in the complimentary close of a letter <yours truly

As in......"your brain has never been supersized." But, just like an 18 year old......you won't get it.......in more ways than one.

ps) you spelled emphasize incorrectly.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Jae said:
... that's the guy Americans affectionately refer to as "The Fridge". An NFL legend as far as I'm aware. I could find you a hundred more 300+ guys from the NFL aswell.

And I can give you a bunch of 300+ lb examples who are NOT fat. I already did in a earlier post. His name was Gallery. Go back and try and read that link, if you can.

Bomber

Bench
Perry may have played both ways, but he would be in an extreme minority of players who consistently did so and stayed on the field for the whole time, as opposed to walking on the field to receive one catch on one play, as Mike Vrabel did in two consecuitive Super Bowls, the only two catches he has ever made.

The Body-Mass Index is a reliable indicator of healthy weight ranges. Since it has been universally adopted and endorsed, I assume it won't be made irrelevant just because an NFL-friendly source said so.

Stuper Bowl

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ozhawk66

Juniors
JW said:

The funny thing is, you have no idea how quick that fat slob is. And, he's used to tackling guys much faster than anyone in league. But, you have a hard time comprehending this.

gregstar

Referee
ozhawk66 said:
The funny thing is, you have no idea how quick that fat slob is. And, he's used to tackling guys much faster than anyone in league. But, you have a hard time comprehending this.
oh yeah! he's a jet - just look at him!
anyone who is run down by him must be a super athlete!

or more likely a downs syndrome sufferer

ozhawk66 said:
You're is short for you are?

errr

Yes, it is.

ozhawk66 said:
Where did you get that from?

Well, when I was about five I was told that by a Teacher. It seems she was right. Even according to you....

ozhawk66 said:
Main Entry: you're

: you are

You're so stupid that you're still arguing the point even after you posted proof that you're an idiot.

ozhawk66 said:
Nice of you to point that one out after I had already spelled it out for you in a prior post.

You tried valiantly but unfortunately for you, you left the last bit on that proved you were pretty dumb.

ozhawk66 said:
Stating the obvious must make you feel big.

No, stating the obvious makes me feel superior to you.

ozhawk66 said:
Your idiocy is complete if you can't recognize the diff what an apostrophe does to the word 'you' when it comes to the concept of : that which belongs to you -- used without a following noun as a pronoun equivalent in meaning to the adjective your; often used especially with an adverbial modifier in the complimentary close of a letter <yours truly

errrr

You're geniused.

Not "your geniused". Nothing to do with what you're blabbering about.

You're on the wrong track, again.

The words your and you're aren't interchangeable.

ozhawk66 said:
As in......"your brain has never been supersized." But, just like an 18 year old......you won't get it.......in more ways than one.

awww

All I'm trying to do is help you be a better troll. A troll has to be able to put himself above criticism for grammar, if he doesn't he just leaves himself open to ridicule. That tends to make the trolling pointless.

Which yours has been from post #1.

ozhawk66 said:
ps) you spelled emphasize incorrectly.

Errrrr

Only if I was a Seppo.

Dumbarse.

emphasise

v 1: give extra weight to (a communication); "Her gesture emphasized her words" [syn: underscore, underline, emphasize] 2: to stress, single out as important; "Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet" [syn: stress, emphasize, punctuate, accent, accentuate]

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
Perry may have played both ways, but he would be in an extreme minority of players who consistently did so and stayed on the field for the whole time, as opposed to walking on the field to receive one catch on one play, as Mike Vrabel did in two consecuitive Super Bowls, the only two catches he has ever made.

The Body-Mass Index is a reliable indicator of healthy weight ranges. Since it has been universally adopted and endorsed, I assume it won't be made irrelevant just because an NFL-friendly source said so.:lol: :lol: :lol:

NFL friendly source? idiot. Basic common sense knows why the report was debunked. And not by friendly NFL sources. Read the report again.

Now your getting my point when concerning the likes of a Perry or Vrabel being a minority in playing both sides of the ball. 50 years ago players did play both sides. It's physically impossible for em to do so now days. The game is too taxing and too violent. The injury rate is bad enough as it is. It's also the main reason why it's impossible for the NFL to play the sort of regular season schedule the NRL plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.