What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

strong_latte

Juniors
ozhawk66 said:
Now you're quoting a basic from me? And you are calling me a stupid flamer? You're reaching new heights of arrogent ignorance.

says the man who comes to a rugby league forum to try and convince everyone of the superiority of Gridiron. ;)

NPK

Bench
Ozhawk, if pads and helmets can be used as weapons and make it more dangerous than not wearing them, why don't the administrators protect the safety of their players and get rid of the padding and helmets?? You said it yourself, it's more dangerous to wear them than not.

strong_latte

Juniors
ozhawk66 said:
Is Rugby a rough sport? Yes, it is. Rugby is a full contact game that involves tackling and hard work. Having said that, rugby is not as rough as football. The lack of pads actually makes it less dangerous, as pads and helmets can be used as weapons, whereas a rugby tackler has to use good technique to bring the man down.

Wouldn't you say this without a doubt a negative point in Gridiron? You said your self that Gridiron players need little technique to pull off a tackle! The fact they suffer more injuries in Gridiron seems to be as a result of this... if they took all the pads and helmets away, then the injury risk of hurling yourself at another player would be equal for both parties and players would have to start learning to do real "tackles" as opposed to just trying use their armour as a battering ram.

Many athletes who have played both football and rugby will tell you they have incurred injuries much more often in football.
played both? so they've played a little college rugby then. So what? Have they played in a State of Origin clash or in Bledisloe cup? Basically they are comparing playing in the highest level of gridiron to playing so uni footy back in the day... that doesn't exactly tell you much.

There are certain rules in Rugby that don’t really exist in football. In Rugby, gang tackling, and piling onto a player are illegal. In football, tackling around the head and neck often goes unpunished, whereas in Rugby that sort of action is stopped very quickly.

This is not something to be proud of, all your saying here is "our boys are tougher because they give themselves more of a chance of ending up in a wheel chair." This is just plain stupid... the fact that there are barely any restriction of tackling in gridiron explains why tackling looks so sloppy in it.
Other than that, have you ever seen a ruck in rugby union? I can asssure you many people can pile ontop of you and injuries do happen... if fact in th 95 RWC a player died in one! Is this a good thing? NO!

In Rugby, players must tackle by wrapping their arms around the ballcarrier. Just running into a player, shoulder-barging, or rolling into their knees is illegal.

Are you refferring to league or union here? Becuase shoulder charging is definately legal in league. And stop calling gridiron football, no one out here would ever call gridiron football, it's confusing, it makes it sound like soccer.

ozhawk66

Juniors
MutOofd said:
Like I said before football is the most violent ballgame in the world, it's in spirit the closest thing to the old harpaston.
Talking about injuries: if you wanna see the brutality of football look up the vid of willis mcgahee in college football, i have never seen such injuries in other sports and although they are rare in football as well they DO occur:\

Here's the link

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/mcgahee.html

It took a couple of years but he did come back from that one.

ozhawk66

Juniors
SHD said:
So...the "pads give you no protection at all"...and "they aren't protection"...but they inflict pain on "the parts of the opponent which are unprotected". Well then what are the other parts of him protected by? The pads that you just said offered no protection at all? :lol:

You've got the IQ of a grapefruit.

You have no idea how far your foot was stuck down your mouth on this one.

ozhawk66

Juniors
strong_latte said:
says the man who comes to a rugby league forum to try and convince everyone of the superiority of Gridiron. ;)

Convincing was not on my agenda. Debating differences and the talent level was.

ozhawk66

Juniors
NPK said:
Ozhawk, if pads and helmets can be used as weapons and make it more dangerous than not wearing them, why don't the administrators protect the safety of their players and get rid of the padding and helmets?? You said it yourself, it's more dangerous to wear them than not.

It's part of the game. It would be like adding a scrum after every tackle in league. A stupid thought, of course.

ozhawk66

Juniors
strong_latte said:
[/size]
Wouldn't you say this without a doubt a negative point in Gridiron? You said your self that Gridiron players need little technique to pull off a tackle! The fact they suffer more injuries in Gridiron seems to be as a result of this...

Don't know where I said they need little technique in tackles. And the differences in injury rate can also be attributed to their size and the speed of the game.

if they took all the pads and helmets away, then the injury risk of hurling yourself at another player would be equal for both parties and players would have to start learning to do real "tackles" as opposed to just trying use their armour as a battering ram.

Again, beating your man is part of the game on every down and tackle technique is taught from a young age and doesn't stop once they reach the NFL level.

played both? so they've played a little college rugby then. So what? Have they played in a State of Origin clash or in Bledisloe cup? Basically they are comparing playing in the highest level of gridiron to playing so uni footy back in the day... that doesn't exactly tell you much.

It does when the differences in injury rates backs up this assessment.

This is not something to be proud of, all your saying here is "our boys are tougher because they give themselves more of a chance of ending up in a wheel chair." This is just plain stupid... the fact that there are barely any restriction of tackling in gridiron explains why tackling looks so sloppy in it.
Other than that, have you ever seen a ruck in rugby union? I can asssure you many people can pile ontop of you and injuries do happen... if fact in th 95 RWC a player died in one! Is this a good thing? NO!

This point was brought up by me to the stupid thought some league fans had about NFL players being weenies, when the exact opposite is the case. It was a major diff between the two sports.

Are you refferring to league or union here? Becuase shoulder charging is definately legal in league. And stop calling gridiron football, no one out here would ever call gridiron football, it's confusing, it makes it sound like soccer.

It was copy and paste from a rugby man. And it's football cause that's what we call it. I don't really care what you want to call it. If I did, I would constantly be harping about others calling it gridiron.

strong_latte

Juniors
Don't know where I said they need little technique in tackles. And the differences in injury rate can also be attributed to their size and the speed of the game.

You said it here:

The lack of pads actually makes it less dangerous, as pads and helmets can be used as weapons, whereas a rugby tackler has to use good technique to bring the man down.

Again, beating your man is part of the game on every down and tackle technique is taught from a young age and doesn't stop once they reach the NFL level.
Do you agree though that were all the pads to be taken away, then players would be less eager to do some of their more extravogant "tackles"?

It does when the differences in injury rates backs up this assessment.
Why? I have kiwi mates that have played Gridiron at Uni, but still think that rugby (union) is a significantly more taxing sport... would you say their assessments are aqurate despite the fact they only played the game at a low level?

This point was brought up by me to the stupid thought some league fans had about NFL players being weenies, when the exact opposite is the case. It was a major diff between the two sports.

Could you clarify this? I'm not really sure what your trying to say.

Listen though Aus, we all know that Gridiron players are fit, but at the end of the day we find the sport about as riveting as watching paint dry... it's not an interesting sport to watch.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
I'm not the clown who has been playing with themselves for 61 pages now......

Some play, some debate. Clowns are the ones who keep coming back and flame around the thread's topic. Move on and get over it if you can't debate the thread's topic.

Bomber

Bench
"Talk to me, Jesus Christ
You have been brought here
Manacled, beaten by your own people
Do you have the first idea why you deserve it?
Listen, King of the Jews
Where is your kingdom?
Look at me - am I a Jew?"

Pontus Pilate, Jesus Christ Superstar

ozhawk66

Juniors
strong_latte said:
You said it here:

You might have read too much into that one. Everyone does it in these forums, me included. That was more of a statement about tackling in league as being a bit softer than American football.

Do you agree though that were all the pads to be taken away, then players would be less eager to do some of their more extravogant "tackles"?

YES! WE REACHED AN AGREEMENT! I also asked people down here why tackling is harder in State of Origin than in regular club matches.

Why? I have kiwi mates that have played Gridiron at Uni, but still think that rugby (union) is a significantly more taxing sport... would you say their assessments are aqurate despite the fact they only played the game at a low level?

I'm not too sure as that's a different debate between two different sports other than football. But I see where you are going with that one.

Could you clarify this? I'm not really sure what your trying to say.

The perceived myth foreigners have that "pads" make for a weaker player, if you know what I mean.

Listen though Aus, we all know that Gridiron players are fit, but at the end of the day we find the sport about as riveting as watching paint dry... it's not an interesting sport to watch.

That's the ironic thing about Americans and their view of rugby/league. Its just to slow of a game, no blocking, passing etc...

NPK

Bench
ozhawk66 said:
That's the ironic thing about Americans and their view of rugby/league. Its just to slow of a game, no blocking, passing etc...

That proves that Americans are stupid. Rugby league is very fast, has lots of tackles and lots of passing.
Rugby Union on the other hand is a slower game.

Status
Not open for further replies.