What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

strong_latte

Juniors
ozhawk66 said:
That's the ironic thing about Americans and their view of rugby/league. Its just to slow of a game, no blocking, passing etc...

I've no doubt they do. Intervals Gridiron is fast, but overall it's incredibly slow. Rugby league and union can be slow in certain area's, but it's free flowing and consistant. It's the difference between running a marathon and running the 100 metre sprint. In the sprint you put everything into one short burst, in a marathon you have to conserve your energy so you only exert it to the full when absolutely necessary.

I also asked people down here why tackling is harder in State of Origin than in regular club matches.

I'm sure this would exist in gridiron aswell... When teams hate each that much and there is all sorts of bragging rights and pride at stake teams of any sport will lift. Thats what it is with the state of Origin. They absolutely hate eachother and there is always a massive media build up aswell, so tension is flying long before the first tackle is made.
It was similar to the All Blacks V The British & Irish Lions last saturday. For kiwi's rugby is a relgion and they have been waiting for this series against the lions for 12 years! The papers have been talking about it for the past 2 years over there and every player has been competing desperately for selection untill now... So what happens when the match finally starts? The All Blacks perform the most aggressive HAKA in years and go out and put a 2 man dump tackle on the Lions skipper, completely dislocating his shoulder in the process and end his tour... It's all to do with hype.

NPK

Bench
strong_latte said:
I'm sure this would exist in gridiron aswell... When teams hate each that much and there is all sorts of bragging rights and pride at stake teams of any sport will lift. Thats what it is with the state of Origin. They absolutely hate eachother and there is always a massive media build up aswell, so tension is flying long before the first tackle is made.
It was similar to the All Blacks V The British & Irish Lions last saturday. For kiwi's rugby is a relgion and they have been waiting for this series against the lions for 12 years! The papers have been talking about it for the past 2 years over there and every player has been competing desperately for selection untill now... So what happens when the match finally starts? The All Blacks perform the most aggressive HAKA in years and go out and put a 2 man dump tackle on the Lions skipper, completely dislocating his shoulder in the process and end his tour... It's all to do with hype.

Also, they are rep matches, and the best players are playing - hence better tackling in general.

ozhawk66

Juniors
NPK said:
That proves that Americans are stupid. Rugby league is very fast, has lots of tackles and lots of passing.
Rugby Union on the other hand is a slower game.

It's the league players themselves playing the game. They are so slow when compared to those in NFL or even college. We're just used to much faster players and plays.

ozhawk66

Juniors
strong_latte said:
I've no doubt they do. Intervals Gridiron is fast, but overall it's incredibly slow. Rugby league and union can be slow in certain area's, but it's free flowing and consistant. It's the difference between running a marathon and running the 100 metre sprint. In the sprint you put everything into one short burst, in a marathon you have to conserve your energy so you only exert it to the full when absolutely necessary.

I agree with that analogy.....

Now, when you do that to another player, that's hitting. That's beating your man. That's football - league, union or American.

yankeeboy

Juniors
In my opinion, Rugby Union and American football are just as taxing in similar weather conditions. I've never played league, so I can't comment on that.

I live in Texas. I have played bith RU and gridiron in extreme tempatures (my first football practice was around 100 degrees fahrenheit, my first RU was about 30).

I would say that the weather makes the biggest difference. The pads and helmet make football much harder in the heat, as they add about 5-10 lbs to your weight and also trap your body heat around you.

Rugby is much harder in the cold, as the pads in American football heat you up.

The skills needed for the game are very different. Even things that are features of both games, such as catching high balls, running with the ball, and tackling, are done very differently in the different sports.

The fact is that they are different sports, and are too difficult to compare. You can compare league and union, but not a rugby code with American/Canadian football.

And anybody who says that "sport X is for sissies because they do Y" needs to go out and try the sport.

Finally, many sports may look boring on TV (I blame Rugby League on severely shortening my attention span, making it hard to watch an entire game of gridiron. However, I know several people who think league is boring because the teams just do the same thing over and over again). However, any sport automatically becomes the most exciting sport when you are playing in the game.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a phopah moment......

Forward passing. Anyone with a modicum of Intel could recognize that one. Doesn't playing with yourself get boring? Move on if you can't debate the thread's topic.

ozhawk66

Juniors
yankeeboy said:
In my opinion, Rugby Union and American football are just as taxing in similar weather conditions. I've never played league, so I can't comment on that.

I live in Texas. I have played bith RU and gridiron in extreme tempatures (my first football practice was around 100 degrees fahrenheit, my first RU was about 30).

I would say that the weather makes the biggest difference. The pads and helmet make football much harder in the heat, as they add about 5-10 lbs to your weight and also trap your body heat around you.

Rugby is much harder in the cold, as the pads in American football heat you up.

The skills needed for the game are very different. Even things that are features of both games, such as catching high balls, running with the ball, and tackling, are done very differently in the different sports.

The fact is that they are different sports, and are too difficult to compare. You can compare league and union, but not a rugby code with American/Canadian football.

And anybody who says that "sport X is for sissies because they do Y" needs to go out and try the sport.

Finally, many sports may look boring on TV (I blame Rugby League on severely shortening my attention span, making it hard to watch an entire game of gridiron. However, I know several people who think league is boring because the teams just do the same thing over and over again). However, any sport automatically becomes the most exciting sport when you are playing in the game.

Good post. Tha't why I do try to keep the debate to comparable aspects of each sport or the players/positions. And it can be hard.

Bomber

Bench
ozhawk66 said:
Forward passing. Anyone with a modicum of Intel could recognize that one. Doesn't playing with yourself get boring? Move on if you can't debate the thread's topic.

"You're a fool, Jesus Christ
How can I help you?"

Pontus Pilate, Jesus Christ Superstar

Snoop

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
Good post. Tha't why I do try to keep the debate to comparable aspects of each sport or the players/positions. And it can be hard.

Which includes your continual insistence that some 100kg bloke would look great playing halfback for NSW. You obviously have no idea of what is required for a halfback and leaves doubt as to your general knowlegde of league.

p.s Have you ask your teacher about your/you're yet? If not perhaps your little sister could help.

ozhawk66

Juniors
snoopster77 said:
Which includes your continual insistence that some 100kg bloke would look great playing halfback for NSW. You obviously have no idea of what is required for a halfback and leaves doubt as to your general knowlegde of league.

When the NFL is populated by a slew of players weighing in at the 100-110 kg range and still are faster than most anyone in league, that's a pretty good start. And I'm talking halfbacks or wingers. And anyone who can play at the NFL level as a RB or LB, can learn the basics of rugby/league with extended practice time. Especially when they do a multitude of running/tackling drills similar to the game of league itself.

p.s Have you ask your teacher about your/you're yet? If not perhaps your little sister could help.

You might wanna use correct sentence structure and spelling the next time you try the English gotcha game.

JW

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
You might wanna use correct sentence structure and spelling the next time you try the English gotcha game.

Fancy you lecturing people on their phopahs Ozdork.

Snoop

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
When the NFL is populated by a slew of players weighing in at the 100-110 kg range and still are faster than most anyone in league, that's a pretty good start. And I'm talking halfbacks or wingers. And anyone who can play at the NFL level as a RB or LB, can learn the basics of rugby/league with extended practice time. Especially when they do a multitude of running/tackling drills similar to the game of league itself.

Two years of running and tackling drills and 100 hours of watching replays of Johns, Sterling, Stuart and Langer are not going to turn a 100kg LB into a halfback not matter how fast he is.

JW

Coach
Bomber said:
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a phopah moment......

ozhawk66 said:

Ozdork, don't be such an ognorant little twerp. You're phopahs are worse and more common than anyone elze here, surely I don't need to espalin that to you. Quite clearly you need to go back to skewl and take up a rigorous spelling regiment.

You're ognorance and lack of intelligense is what's bringing you undone in thi thread and other posters will continue to knock you unconcious as long as your here. You're were and tear is showing and your looking week, so be carefull.

Time to cut the spun spin and shape up Ozdork, you demented pile of criticize.

ozhawk66

Juniors
snoopster77 said:
You obviously have no idea of what is required for a halfback and leaves doubt as to your general knowlegde of league.QUOTE]

You obviously have a hard time dealing with this part of the thread. Maybe this will help you....

Rugby is a popular game played by men, women and children of every race, color and creed, from under 5 to well over 50, in over 100 countries around the world. It is the national game (some would say religion) of choice in countries such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France. It is even gaining in popularity in the United States and Canada.

Rugby is a sport for life as, unlike American Football, rugby players often continue to participate in the game long after they have left school.

The Rugby community is a unique group of individuals (and, if you’ve met them, a group of unique individuals) who dare to try something different - a legendary game that combines strength, speed and agility but which welcomes athletes of any size and shape. Successful rugby does require fitness but, primarily, it requires a person who’s ready, willing and able to give it a go.

Comparison with American Football

Rugby is definitely a vigorous, “contact” sport but it is not brutal. It is much less violent than it may at first appear.

Some of the key facets that differentiate Rugby from American Football, and contribute to making the game less dangerous, are:

1) Possession. Rugby is a game of possession and not yardage. Players are taught to pass the ball before being tackled and to ensure possession is retained rather than struggling for an extra yard under the weight of the entire opposing team.

2) Creating Space. Rugby emphasizes creating space by guile and cunning, through passing the ball or deceiving defenders rather than by brute force through blocking.

3) Tackling. A legitimate tackle in rugby requires that the arms be used to wrap around the attackers. High tackling, late tackling, and other “cheap shots” are strictly forbidden and severally punished. In addition, tacklers must rely on the strength in their body rather than armored shoulders and helmets to make a tackle. Coaches teach not only how to tackle opponents but also what to do when tackled to ensure that your team retains possession.

4) Blocking. There is no blocking in Rugby and you may only tackle the player with the ball. This eliminates the possibility of being blind-sided by a sprinting lineman hoping to create space for his team to gain yardage (through you).

http://www.rugbyonguam.com/rugby_game.htm

ozhawk66

Juniors
JW said:
Ozdork, don't be such an ognorant little twerp. You're phopahs are worse and more common than anyone elze here, surely I don't need to espalin that to you. Quite clearly you need to go back to skewl and take up a rigorous spelling regiment.

You're ognorance and lack of intelligense is what's bringing you undone in thi thread and other posters will continue to knock you unconcious as long as your here. You're were and tear is showing and your looking week, so be carefull.

Yawn. I can't tell if you are sniveling or flaming. Either way, this response is right up there with kiddie chatroom wars, beings there is nothing original here.

JW

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
snoopster77 said:
You obviously have no idea of what is required for a halfback and leaves doubt as to your general knowlegde of league.

You obviously have a hard time dealing with this part of the thread. Maybe this will help you....

Rugby is a popular game played by men, women and children of every race, color and creed, from under 5 to well over 50, in over 100 countries around the world. It is the national game (some would say religion) of choice in countries such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France. It is even gaining in popularity in the United States and Canada.

Rugby is a sport for life as, unlike American Football, rugby players often continue to participate in the game long after they have left school.

The Rugby community is a unique group of individuals (and, if you’ve met them, a group of unique individuals) who dare to try something different - a legendary game that combines strength, speed and agility but which welcomes athletes of any size and shape. Successful rugby does require fitness but, primarily, it requires a person who’s ready, willing and able to give it a go.

Rugby is definitely a vigorous, “contact” sport but it is not brutal. It is much less violent than it may at first appear.

Some of the key facets that differentiate Rugby from American Football, and contribute to making the game less dangerous, are:

1)Possession. Rugby is a game of possession and not yardage. Players are taught to pass the ball before being tackled and to ensure possession is retained rather than struggling for an extra yard under the weight of the entire opposing team.

2)Creating Space. Rugby emphasizes creating space by guile and cunning, through passing the ball or deceiving defenders rather than by brute force through blocking.

3)Tackling. A legitimate tackle in rugby requires that the arms be used to wrap around the attackers. High tackling, late tackling, and other “cheap shots” are strictly forbidden and severally punished. In addition, tacklers must rely on the strength in their body rather than armored shoulders and helmets to make a tackle. Coaches teach not only how to tackle opponents but also what to do when tackled to ensure that your team retains possession.

4)Blocking. There is no blocking in Rugby and you may only tackle the player with the ball. This eliminates the possibility of being blind-sided by a sprinting lineman hoping to create space for his team to gain yardage (through you).

http://www.rugbyonguam.com/rugby_game.htm

Snoopster was right, you know nothing about League Ozdork.

Try and see whats wrong with the source you've quoted and then get back to us.

I'm waiting.

JW

Coach
ozhawk66 said:
Yawn. I can't tell if you are sniveling or flaming. Either way, this response is right up there with kiddie chatroom wars, beings there is nothing original here.

Your ashamed of you're phopahs aren't you. It's ok, I understand. But do give that spelling regiment a go. I'm sure it'll do wonders, lol.

JW said:

:lol: x 1000

Post of the year.

I'll get back to you tonight ozdork, too busy doing... that thing people do sometimes to earn money.... what's it called again? ... work, that's it..

ozhawk66 said:

1)Possession. Rugby is a game of possession and not yardage. Players are taught to pass the ball before being tackled and to ensure possession is retained rather than struggling for an extra yard under the weight of the entire opposing team.

2)Creating Space. Rugby emphasizes creating space by guile and cunning, through passing the ball or deceiving defenders rather than by brute force through blocking.

3)Tackling. A legitimate tackle in rugby requires that the arms be used to wrap around the attackers. High tackling, late tackling, and other “cheap shots” are strictly forbidden and severally punished. In addition, tacklers must rely on the strength in their body rather than armored shoulders and helmets to make a tackle. Coaches teach not only how to tackle opponents but also what to do when tackled to ensure that your team retains possession.

4)Blocking. There is no blocking in Rugby and you may only tackle the player with the ball. This eliminates the possibility of being blind-sided by a sprinting lineman hoping to create space for his team to gain yardage (through you).

http://www.rugbyonguam.com/rugby_game.htm[/QUOTE]

I wonder if I went to the CFL website and claimed that it was the NFL if you'd actually realise it....

Dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.