What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
CanadianSteve said:
Question for the Aussies who do watch and like the NFL a bit, like EA: If you changed some NFL rules -

- go back to the limited substitution rules of decades ago, so most players would play offence and defence. This would reduce the size of the linemen if they had to stay on the field the whole game.

- force the offences to play the no-huddle style like Buffalo did with Jim Kelly in the early 90s. Much less stop/start, and the quarterback has to think on the fly much more.

Those rule changes would make the game closer to rugby or league in terms of player size and versatility, and continuity of action. But it would still be NFL football with blocking, padding, forward passing etc. Would such a game be more attractive to Aussies than the current NFL game?

I didn't get an answer to the above from any Aussies - if the NFL were to change as I suggested, would it be more appealing to league fans?

redVgirl

Juniors
guys i dont think theres any need to get nasty here. i think we should just quit these stupid generalisations about each others nationalities because you are wrong on both sides. theres wankers in every country okay?

however... yankeeboy if you're looking for some sort of welcoming party and a circle jerk about how great NFL is, you're in the wrong place. of COURSE people are gonna defend league over anything else - its a rugby league forum. im sure we would get the same reaction if we flounced about an NFL forum tooting our own horn. you and ozhawk just need to give it up. you aren't going to convert anyone.

Here's a post from the Other Sports section about a new sport that tries to blend rugby and American football:

icon1.gif
New Team Sport Organizing!
Hey everyone,

My name is Scott Hutton and I'm the creator of a sport called scuffleball. You can check out the sport's official website here:

Scuffleball Website

We are looking to generate some interest and participation with the sport. We are currently in the process of organizing games in Tampa, FL and Waco, TX. If any would like to volunteer to get in on the ground floor just email me and let me know. Right now we need people to try scuffleball out and get the word out about it.

We have had contacts from Germany, the UK, Austrailia, and Brazil as well about possibly organizaing the sport in those nations. This NSA (National Scuffleball Association) is in its infancy right now, it's a four-man organization. smile.gif We are also planning on releasing a video of the sport and some pictures soon, which will be available at the website.

We'd love for you guys to check out the sport!

If anyone has any questions, comments (good or bad) or wants any further information, just drop me a line at: info@scuffleball.com.

Happy 4th of July!

Thanks and take care,

Scott

Check out the website.

Ghoulies

Bench
ozhawk66 said:
Never heard of him. Prove it, don't say it.
I obviously can't provide a link as the quote wasn't found on the net, but if you're desperate enough you can pick up a copy of 'Big Artie' and look to p158.

yankeeboy

Juniors
I'm not saying that either sport is better. I'm simply doing what the thread was originally established for:

My main objective is to find as many varied, insightful and educated opinions on the differences between the players from the NRL and the athletes from the NFL.

And EA, many Americans are ignorant, but Kevin Federline is not the best person to take as an example of Americans as a people.

If we were to base our perception of y'all on Foster's commercials, we'd think that you all lived in the bush, and threw boomerangs to hunt the kangaroos which live in your backyard. All the while drinking your liter can of Foster's, which is "Australian for Beer" in our commercials (despite the fact that I've heard that most Australians don't drink it).

Stereotyping is bad. From your posts here, I would assume that you are a prick and very closed minded. However, I don't stereotype and see that you are just a very patriotic Australian who loves his sport more than anything.

Also, linemen aren't tackled in American football...they never touch the ball. Their main job is to prevent the opposition tacklers from getting to the ball. League has the ten metre rule, AF/CF doesn't. Instead, we put beefy strong blokes right next to the "play the ball" and they act as the ten metre gap instead.

To put it simply, League tries to keep the ball from getting near the other team by passing, etc. American and Canadian football try to block the opponent from getting near the ball carrier.

yankeeboy

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Imbecile.

No NRL player would need to stand in front of a tub of lard and block it.

Do you understand the term "relevant" ?

It is relevant. The term "relevant" mean related to the discussion at hand, which is, as per the first post of the thread, to compare the athletes of the two leagues. If you want the exact definition, here is what Merriam-Webster has to say about it "having significant and demonstrable bearing on the matter at hand b : affording evidence tending to prove or disprove the matter at issue or under discussion."

I'd say my post was very relevant to this thread.

No NRL player would stand in front of a "tub of lard" because (1) it's against the rules to hit a player who doesn't have the ball, and (2) because the attacking team has a 10m gap between them and the defense.

An American football scrimmage is like a competitive scrum. You are pushing and trying to drive your opponents back and keep them engaged for as many yards as possible, so that your backs have room to run.

An NRL forward would not run very much at all if there was a scrum after every tackle. This is what American football is like.

If league had no 10m rule, but just a 5m or even a rule like union's "hindmost foot" rule, then the game would be very different for the forwards.

I personally think that any centre or big winger could convert to an American football offensive or defensive back or linebacker position very well, and vice versa. I think that a "forward" equivalant from either league would have a very hard time converting.

Your post wasn't relevant.

Like I said, no NFL lineman could play ruck in AFL.

Both statements are irrelevant and nonsense in this supposed argument.

No NRL player has to push a 300 pound man wearing padding and a helmet backwards.

No NFL lineman has to jump up like a fairy to mark a ball or punch it toward goal either.

Both statements are true, but irrelevant because the games are different and what one needs to be in the NFL isn't the same as what one needs to be in the NRL.

Yet you think statement #1 means what in regard to the NRL?

yankeeboy said:
I'm not saying that either sport is better. I'm simply doing what the thread was originally established for:

And EA, many Americans are ignorant, but Kevin Federline is not the best person to take as an example of Americans as a people.

If we were to base our perception of y'all on Foster's commercials, we'd think that you all lived in the bush, and threw boomerangs to hunt the kangaroos which live in your backyard. All the while drinking your liter can of Foster's, which is "Australian for Beer" in our commercials (despite the fact that I've heard that most Australians don't drink it).

Stereotyping is bad. From your posts here, I would assume that you are a prick and very closed minded. However, I don't stereotype and see that you are just a very patriotic Australian who loves his sport more than anything.

Also, linemen aren't tackled in American football...they never touch the ball. Their main job is to prevent the opposition tacklers from getting to the ball. League has the ten metre rule, AF/CF doesn't. Instead, we put beefy strong blokes right next to the "play the ball" and they act as the ten metre gap instead.

To put it simply, League tries to keep the ball from getting near the other team by passing, etc. American and Canadian football try to block the opponent from getting near the ball carrier.

Who is Kevin Federline and why should I give a f**k about him?

And don't think for a moment that stereotyping is incorrect when it comes to American men.

You're all stupid, from the top down.....

yankeeboy

Juniors
This thread is not "why is the NRL better than NFL." I am simply comparing the jobs of the players and comparing the athletes.

Funnily enough, this thread isn't entitled "flame the North Americans."

Comparing an NRL forward to the similar positions in the NFL is what this thread is intended for.

Whether a NFL lineman could play ruck in the AFL (which he couldn't) is extremely irrelevant. That is like asking if Petero Civoniceva would make a good ballerina.

Comparing a NRL prop to a NFL guard or tackle is what this thread is supposed to be for. How is this irrelevant? There is no rule saying that I must reference a past thread. So how is my post irrelevant.

By the way, the past 4 or so posts between us have been irrelevant, if you want to be picky.

yankeeboy said:
This thread is not "why is the NRL better than NFL." I am simply comparing the jobs of the players and comparing the athletes.

Funnily enough, this thread isn't entitled "flame the North Americans."

Comparing an NRL forward to the similar positions in the NFL is what this thread is intended for.

Whether a NFL lineman could play ruck in the AFL (which he couldn't) is extremely irrelevant. That is like asking if Petero Civoniceva would make a good ballerina.

Comparing a NRL prop to a NFL guard or tackle is what this thread is supposed to be for. How is this irrelevant? There is no rule saying that I must reference a past thread. So how is my post irrelevant.

By the way, the past 4 or so posts between us have been irrelevant, if you want to be picky.

geniused. This thread has been since the beginning, yet you're still trying to justify it.

There are no positions that are similar.

No NFL lineman has to catch, pass or offload the ball. No NFL lineman has to play offence and defence for 60 minutes in 90 minutes. That's why NRL props aren't 300 pound logs.

So where are they similar?

And we'll flame you Seppos if it's justified.

And it is.

yankeeboy

Juniors
1. What the f**k is a Seppo? Is it some sort of rhyming slang? Because we really don't use much of that here.

2. How do you justify flaming? All you say is "and it is."

I am comparing the NRL players to the players who are the most similar to them in the NFL, as it this thread's purpose.

A prop is much more similar to a lineman than he is to any other position...even if the linemen don't touch the ball.

The main difference between us is that I use logic and reason to back up my posts, while you simply call them geniused and don't say why.

I don't prefer either code...I am a big fan of both (rugby league is just an awesome sport; and it is "un-American" for an American male not to like football).

I simply want to compare the players and hear "varied, insightful and educated opinions on the differences between the players from the NRL and the athletes from the NFL.."

1. No, you don't.

2. I don't have to. If you're an idiot, you'll never die wondering if I think you're an idiot.

You keep harping on about comparing players from the two codes but in simple terms, they aren't comparable.

There is no logic in comparing a lineman in the NFL to a Prop in Rugby League, no logic whatsoever.

I even told you why. But you didn't retort to that, yet you still persist in saying they can be compared.

You're missing the whole point of the thread.

That's why you're an idiot.

yankeeboy

Juniors
If you aren't going to compare the players, then this thread is dead. Its purpose, as stated in the first thread isto find "varied, insightful and educated opinions on the differences between the players from the NRL and the athletes from the NFL."

That is exactly what I am doing. I am saying why it would be hard for a prop to go up against a lineman in either sport, not that I think that it would happen.

There is really no logic in comparing the sports. This thread really didn't try to be logical when it was founded.

However, some Australians (and not necessicarily you, EA) are very ignorant when it comes to American football. They simply can't comprehend that a sport could be as hard as rugby league for any reason. The purpose of this thread is to compare the differences between the athletes. My lineman/prop is discussing the differences between the positions.

I'm sure if a prop tried to play on the d-line in football (which is probably where they'd be best suited, as they aren't fast enough to play linebacker), then they would get creamed by the o-linemen simply because a prop is not the right body size or shape for the postion. A prop's body is very specialized to playing prop in league, just as an NFL lineman's body is specialized to playing lineman.

A lineman would probably tire out very quickly in leauge. He'd probably screw the play the ball up. That is not to say, though, that you couldn't get 20 miutes worth of hit ups ot of him.

yankeeboy said:
If you aren't going to compare the players, then this thread is dead. Its purpose, as stated in the first thread isto find "varied, insightful and educated opinions on the differences between the players from the NRL and the athletes from the NFL."

This thread was dead from post #1, partially because it was started by an idiot and partially because there's no point in comparing NFL players to NRL players.

yankeeboy said:
That is exactly what I am doing. I am saying why it would be hard for a prop to go up against a lineman in either sport, not that I think that it would happen.

You're doing nothing more than wasting your time. A Prop in the NRL is never going to play in the NFL because he's not built for that. The two games evolved differently.

yankeeboy said:
There is really no logic in comparing the sports. This thread really didn't try to be logical when it was founded.

Correct. All it has been good for is flaming.

yankeeboy said:
However, some Australians (and not necessicarily you, EA) are very ignorant when it comes to American football. They simply can't comprehend that a sport could be as hard as rugby league for any reason. The purpose of this thread is to compare the differences between the athletes. My lineman/prop is discussing the differences between the positions.

This thread can only work with people whose experiences with American Football are limited to highlights. The differences between a Prop and a lineman are far too vast to even contemplate comparison. The first one being that defensive linemen don't actually have the ball in their hands too often.

yankeeboy said:
I'm sure if a prop tried to play on the d-line in football (which is probably where they'd be best suited, as they aren't fast enough to play linebacker), then they would get creamed by the o-linemen simply because a prop is not the right body size or shape for the postion. A prop's body is very specialized to playing prop in league, just as an NFL lineman's body is specialized to playing lineman.

No.

It just wouldn't happen which makes your assumptions irrelevant.

I'll tell you why...

American Football is played here, the linemen are large men but usually here they have beer guts and the stamina of a 50 a day smoker. That's all they need to play American Football at that level.

That's the difference, American Football has evolved into a game where behemoths make up the line to combat the behemoths standing in front of them and no one can handle playing both sides of the ball for a full game.

There is no such need for massive players in the NFL. The game has evolved differently, stamina is the key component. It is not the key component in any position in the NFL for a few reasons, one being that they play is explosive but intermittent and secondly they don't play both sides of the ball. The fact is that NFL players generally play 30 minutes actual game time. And that 30 minutes is spread over 210 minutes.

NRL players do it in about 90 minutes and play both sides of the ball.

No comparison.

yankeeboy said:
A lineman would probably tire out very quickly in leauge. He'd probably screw the play the ball up. That is not to say, though, that you couldn't get 20 miutes worth of hit ups ot of him.

Of course he would die in the arse quickly, he isn't made to play 60 minutes in 80 in a game that has little padding.

Each and every argument regarding comparisons is too easy to destroy.

Flaming is, was, and always will be all that this thread is good for....

redVgirl

Juniors
yankeeboy a seppo is rhyming slang. it originated in WW2 when there was thousands of american troops in sydney and brisbane helping 'save australia'. anyway basically some of them carried on like arrogant twats (some, not all) and so the rhyming slang was - yank...septic tank = seppo.

and mate that signature of yours isn't helping to dispel the myths (that EA has) of all americans being self obsessed jingoistic wankers. i hope to god you put it up there with a healthy dose of irony.

I hadn't noticed his sig before RedV ... lol

'Tis a bit of a wank now that I read it.

I've actually spent a lot of time on a few different American forums and I found the women to be more intelligent than the men. The men tend to assume that because they're American, they're right about everything. The women are able to accept that America isn't the be all and end all.

The thing is, they never change. Flame their sorry arses for 12 months and they just don't get it because they seriously think they're winning. It never dawns on them that they're getting hammered.

Yankeeboy seems occasionally to have a glimmer of commonsense, if he makes the effort, he may end up being one of the very few decent Yank men on the boards that I've ever run across.

Choppies

Coach
since sobering up and getting soaked up in Newcastle seeing the Roosters win my opinion has not changed much

Ozdork66 your still an Idiot :lol:

here is a real comparison betrween the games.
Lets compare the amount of ads on say an NFL game and a ch nein NRL game.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
As has been pointed out 50 times mongoloid, 18 year olds aren't allowed to play in the NFL so your constant stupid argument that they can't because it's physically impossible is a lie.

And it's good that you've seen fit to post numerous pictures of fat bastards, makes everyone here feel just that much skinnier.....

A lie? This is where your comprehension of the NFL is beyond ignorant. It's an issue of safety that you can't fathom. This example below was later overturned and the NFL's age limit rule was eventually backed up by the Supreme Court. It's been edited for your limited attention span, mongoloid.

Keep N.F.L. Draft rule
Posted: 02.06.2004
Technician Editorial Board

A U.S. District Court judge ruled yesterday that Maurice Clarett, the running back from Ohio State suspended for receiving extra benefits and lying to police, could enter the NFL draft in April. The NFL has a rule that prohibits college players from entering the draft until they complete three years of college. It was struck down based on federal anti-trust laws, citing the NFL was acting like a monopoly by not allowing Clarett to enter the draft early.

The rule is in place to protect younger athletes from playing football with players twice their size. At the heart, it is a life-or-death matter. The rule protects the league from potential wrongful death suits that could result in the death of a young player being clobbered by an older, bigger player.

Clarett's defense claims size is not an issue: he is 6 feet, 230 pounds.

There are other factors to consider. The NFL's rule is the most stringent of all the major sports leagues, mainly for the safety issue.

If the NFL eligibility rule is overturned in a higher court, the same speculation will happen in college football. But unlike basketball, football is a full contact sport and there are inherent safety issues. Nineteen-year-old players cannot compete with athletes almost twice their age.

http://www.technicianonline.com/story.php?id=008765

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts