What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
Barney,Lem6.jpg

Those hits you posted up are an everyday occurance to league guys.

Not on the scale in American football.

Watch State of Origin this comming Wed night and you would realise what pain, endurance, mateship and sacrifice truely means.

Again, a standard in American football.

Tell me this, what happens when a player in NFL gets a concussion?

Depends. Be more specific. But concussions are getting more attention because of some serious, life altering effects.

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
Well those two guys are very good learners.

LOTE is now regarded as the best winger in Rugby, very evasive, strong, great kicking game, great passing, great vision etc. From what I know not many NFL players have all these qualities, thus they would take longer than your average NRL/union players in making the grade.

Being big and fast is only a quarter of what it takes to be a good rugby player.

One problem here is that Lote would have to gain weight/muscle; keep his speed/endurance; then lean how to block defensive linemen 70-100 lbs bigger than himself, and just as quick.

Let's just say there is no way he could take on the likes of a Julius Peppers, one on one when he had to block.

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
The operative word is WE. Americans and Australians have differing standards, you must realise this. WE (ill use the royal we) however think that 18 year olds are mature enough to play. They are also better because they have a faster recovery time and are still quite athletic, unlike your sopposed mature older players.

"The rule is in place to protect younger athletes from playing football with players twice their size. At the heart, it is a life-or-death matter. The rule protects the league from potential wrongful death suits that could result in the death of a young player being clobbered by an older, bigger player."

" Nineteen-year-old players cannot compete with athletes almost twice their age. "

http://www.technicianonline.com/story.php?id=008765

ozhawk66

Juniors
yankeeboy said:
If any NRL forward were to try to convert, it would be as a linebacker, or maybe a defensive end. However, they would simply like the bulk to play what would be the roughest, toughest job a footballer can have

NRL forwards are too small and too slow, especially at defensive end.

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
Well the players that we have seen so far looks to be a cross between a sumo and the michlen man. On average NRL players are fitter, compared with NFL players.

The fittest athletes are not those that play football but those in swimming and gymnastics.

You have no idea of the training regiment of those who make it to the NFL.

Heck, even football players use swimming and gymnastics. There is even a term called the 'swimming technique'

Fitter? Hardly.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
You can go back and find the link and your gagging post, I couldn't be bothered. They're still here by the way, same as the 2am post you made and are now claiming didn't happen...

You made the 2 AM claim and didn't back it up.

And what basics are they?

Running/tackling drills played out in a similar way as the game of rugby.

Running, yep, but not with helmets or padding.

And your point is?

Tackling, no. The tecniques are as different as Darts and Pool.

Not when it comes to bringing an opponent down, while carrying the ball on a football field.

So, no NFL player could play in the NRL without years of training.

American football players have been playing the basics of rugby/league their whole lives. Nice try.

That's pretty simple isn't it corkhead?

In your world it is, Corky.

* nice spelling technique.

ozhawk66

Juniors
CAPSISCOOL said:
Ozhawk you're making a complete fool yourself.

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ the comparison between baseball batting averages and cricket batting averages. How about watching a match before you spew out your endless bullsh*t? Can't really have a debate if one side knows sh*t all about the topic.

I take it you didn't get the point about the diff in batting avg's between the 2 sports?

Try fooling yourself more often. You might get somewhere.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Ghoulies said:
I obviously can't provide a link as the quote wasn't found on the net, but if you're desperate enough you can pick up a copy of 'Big Artie' and look to p158.

I guess I'll trust you on this one, even though the point is now mute.

ozhawk66

Juniors
yankeeboy said:
I personally think that any centre or big winger could convert to an American football offensive or defensive back or linebacker position very well, and vice versa. I think that a "forward" equivalant from either league would have a very hard time converting.

The bigger wingers are still mostly too small and slow. Fast times like a Bott or Wesser are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

Even the best forwards would have a hard time converting to linebackers, just by their lack of size/speed/

ozhawk66

Juniors
Like I said, no NFL lineman could play ruck in AFL.

:lol: doesn't know what pulls and traps are :lol: doesn't comprehend blocking smaller, faster players :lol: doesn't understand the crack of helmets/skulls on the hike

No NRL player has to push a 300 pound man wearing padding and a helmet backwards.

And they would be dog tired if called upon to do so in a matter of several plays - that's if they were big, fast and strong enough to do so. Get it?

No NFL lineman has to jump up like a fairy to mark a ball or punch it toward goal either.

Ignat doesn't get defensive lineman jumpimg 8 feet in the air to try and block a pass?

Both statements are true, but irrelevant because the games are different and what one needs to be in the NFL isn't the same as what one needs to be in the NRL.

But those in the NFL have the training and skills that translate to the league game.

QUOTE]

ozhawk66

Juniors
geniused. This thread has been since the beginning, yet you're still trying to justify it.

There are no positions that are similar.

Ignut. Forwards/linemen. Wingers/WR/RB's #7 jersey/QB's etc...

No NFL lineman has to catch, pass or offload the ball. No NFL lineman has to play offence and defence for 60 minutes in 90 minutes. That's why NRL props aren't 300 pound logs.

And league players don't have the endurance to block on every play or take part in every play; to beat your opponent on every play....for 3-4 hours running.

QUOTE]

ozhawk66

Juniors
1. No, you don't.

2. I don't have to. If you're an idiot, you'll never die wondering if I think you're an idiot.

You keep harping on about comparing players from the two codes but in simple terms, they aren't comparable.

There is no logic in comparing a lineman in the NFL to a Prop in Rugby League, no logic whatsoever.

I even told you why. But you didn't retort to that, yet you still persist in saying they can be compared.

You're missing the whole point of the thread.

That's why you're an idiot.

Just like a kid. He thinks saying it without proving it makes it so. In a kids world, it does.

Grow up when it comes to posts/replies like this.

RABK

Referee
NFL....... :lol:

I rate Cricket tougher then Grid Iron, there wear less pads then those pansy ass Americans.

Soft, soft, soft! Your toughest player would get eaten alive by our 200th toughest player.

Skills, Fitness and Toughness in league>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Skills, Fitness and Toughness in NFL.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts