What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
Do you have any more articles to back up your claim? seeing as they are a weekly occurance. BTW that injury you pointed out isnt what I would call, life or career threatening.

Can't remember what injury you're referring too, but this is not only along the lines of recent injury trends in the NFL, it goes along with the conditioning or the concept of too much off-season workouts these days in the NFL.

Training tweaks could taper injury trend
April 22, 2005

Dan Pompei
Sporting News

When hard-working Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher popped a hamstring 5 minutes into his first training camp practice last July, you had to question if what he did in the offseason didn't make him vulnerable to injury. Are offseason conditioning programs and individual training regimens preventing injuries or contributing to them?

It has become a boiling controversy in NFL front offices.

full article:
http://www.nospam47.com/experts/dan-pompei/20050422-p.html

gunnamatta bay

Referee
The NFL has some dedicated fans:

Todays SMH

Dead fan goes home in peace
July 8, 2005

Pittsburgh: A deceased fan has been given a fitting send off at his funeral - sitting in a recliner in front of a TV watching his beloved NFL team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The family of James Henry Smith, 55, who died of prostate cancer last month, organised for a funeral home to erect a small stage in a viewing room with furniture arranged to replicate Smith's home on NFL game days.

Smith's body was on the recliner with a remote in his hand. He wore black and gold pyjamas with cigarettes and a beer at his side, while a TV played a continuous loop of Steelers highlights.

"Nobody did [anything] until the game went off. It was just like he was at home," Smith's sister, MaryAnn Nails, said.

AP

Sorry, I'm going to use blue ink for my responses as I haven't figured out how to do the multiple quote thing yet.

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Fair enough, it was your choice.

Comparing the NRL to English Union Competition is like comparing the NFL to High School American Football in terms of professionalism.

Surely that's an exaggeration. I know the talent in English club rugby is more spread out, as Yankeeboy has pointed out, but they are still professional clubs. I know England RU has fallen a lot since their WC win, but still the best English union players play in the Zurich Premiership.

Club Union is, and even Union people would probably agree, far below the next level up.

Just because the NRL and club Union in England are the highest club level either has doesn't mean they are comparable in terms of skill, fitness levels etc.

You see the similarity between Union and American Football, both are technical games that get bogged down in the technical aspects rather than just getting on with it.

League is as tough as Union to learn. In fact,I found League a hell of a lot harder to learn and play than Union. Yes, I played both, a long time ago.

I thought union would be harder to learn (not harder to play) becuse it is a more technical game as you say.

We have 4 major Winter ball sports here Steve, Rugby League, Australian Rules Football, Rugby Union and Soccer. How many does Canada have?

In our winter, hockey is by far the main sport, and in our summer, Canadian football, baseball, and soccer are the main ones, though far behind hockey. RU is a minor sport, and RL is not on the radar. Of course we do have those few amateur Aussie Rules clubs which you posted pictures of a while back. :D

Did I warn you that you'd f**k it up? lol

You're confusing the words "able to" for the words "that did".

Three high-profile Australian League players went to Union, all poached by the way, and all three represented in their first season.

I'm sure more NRL players could switch successfully if they chose to. But the 2 games are fairly close to each other compared to "gridiron", and still there is a big adjustment for league players to pick up the technical aspects of union.

The last player who came to League from Union and represented in the same year was a bloke named Thornett and that was in the 1960's.

But now high-profile union players don't switch to league because there's more money in union, right? Maybe not in Aus, but hypothetically I bet a number of All Blacks could switch to league and play for the Kiwis within a year.

Wendell is still playing representative Rugby Union. Your opinion on him obviously isn't shared by Union selectors...

I know, and I like Wendell. But recently Eddie Jones was quoted saying something like Wendell doesn't have the "magic feel" for the game that Rogers does. I think Wendell gets by more on his physical ability and size.

A chance?

sh*t, I've got a chance so he definately has a chance. Nothing's impossible.

In reality, probably no, for both of us.

Well, I'm sure you could stand on the sidelines and insult the opposition very well. But hypothetically, let's take Michael Vick, a big QB who runs as well as a running back. Or some other NFL star who's bigger, faster and more agile than Wendell or Lote. Say he was willing to give up the NFL fame and money and go to Aus to train with a club. Maybe play Jersey Flegg for a year. Don't you think someone like that could make it to the NRL club as a wing eventually? (I agree that no player could just walk in to the NRL in a month.)

Send him an email and ask him to try. His massive jump and exquisite timing at the kick-offs would be a boon to our game. Hell, tell him I'll have a word to Tim Sheens about swapping Benji for him....

Not.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Some video education for EA from the prior century on why boys have never played in the NFL. Reason? Intense speed + violence kills.

We got 3 minutes of 360's, full somersaults, knockouts, decleaters, clotheslined (high forearm tackles for those in league), head-ons and even a a few offensive hits - mostly from the likes of Earl the 'Pearl' Cambell. A RB that had 38 inch thighs, and you'll see why when he runs forward......

Don't see too many league players landing on their heads like this :shock:

NFL hits 5.8Mb wmv

Choppies

Coach
Ill start following the NFL when Fatty McFats get drafted at no 1.

He is so determined I mean look at him in my sig, he really wants to get the whole burger in one bite.

Choppies

Coach
I dont think I will be buying a McFats jersey when he gets drafted.
$250US for a jersey f**k!
and I thought my NBA ones were expensive at $150US
Although my personalised Choppies ones are worth every cent :D

monaroCountry

Juniors
Yes, Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, and Jonny Wilkinson are exactly like amateurs.
Those players are representing their country, those guys are the best and are not amatures. Club players and matches in most instances doesnt rate a mention in Rugby Union (unlike league).
It might be stretching it a little to compare the GP to the NRL, but only just. I would say that it would be comparable to Super League (they steal Aussies and Kiwis from the S14 who aren't being selected for Tests).
The GP and NRL are worlds apart, NRL players (nearly eavery single one of them) are comparable to rep players in union, just look at the 3 union converts (all from the broncos) all three have represented their country in union.
And monaro, you are making a gross generalization. The only positions where players are even seen with a little fat is on the line. These men are very strong. They may not be able to run very fast, but their position doesn't require it, so it doesn't matter.
The backline (or whatever you guys call them) in the NFL are agile but fragile, the linesmen are not just a little fat but are VERY VERY CHUBBY. These blubbers has neither the endurance or the strength of NRL players. They are able to block opponents by using their sheer weight, not by any muscle mass (similar to sumos, although summos are more of a contest). I dont regard these guys as skilled or as athletes.

Saying that a lineman is unfit because they have some fat is like saying that Props aren't good RL players because they don't kick the ball well...just plain ignorant.
EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA FAT = healthy?????????? thats news to me. I know that americans as a whole are fatter than australians but really dont be ignorant.

monaroCountry

Juniors
Okay, nubster, tell me why 18/19 year old kids have an incredibly hard time getting playing time in collegiate football on the division 1-A level.
Question, must an NFL player pass university of and type of higher school education? If so then thats a clear barrier preventing their progress NOT their physique.

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
Question, must an NFL player pass university of and type of higher school education? If so then thats a clear barrier preventing their progress NOT their physique.

No. They have to be smart enough to pass classes at a certain level to keep playing collegiate football, though.

ozhawk66

Juniors
monaroCountry said:
union.
The backline (or whatever you guys call them) in the NFL are agile but fragile, the linesmen are not just a little fat but are VERY VERY CHUBBY. These blubbers has neither the endurance or the strength of NRL players.

Not only do they have the endurance, their strength is in a different world than the strongest the NRL has to offer. They are also, generally speaking, faster than the league forward.

And fragile is the last thing they are :lol:

They are able to block opponents by using their sheer weight,

Wrong answer. It's a combination of speed, technique, stunts, traps, pulls etc...

not by any muscle mass (similar to sumos, although summos are more of a contest). I dont regard these guys as skilled or as athletes.

That's because you have no idea what they have to do.

For every chub you can find in the NFL, I can find 3-4 of similar weight who aren't fat.

monaroCountry

Juniors
Ignorance of the highest level, or is that lowest?
Coming from an American like yourself, very FUNNY indeed. In your case is it a case of ignorance, arrogance or stupidity. From reading the many posts here it seem at you fit all three bills perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts