What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL wants two conference comp

MugaB

Coach
How many Brisbane teams are there again?!
Couriermail confirmed last night on NRL360, that there will be a 4th QLD team, and if these Elias rumours are true, either a 5th QLD side or potential WA tigers... it seems to be a somewhat coincidence that Easts in QLD had changed their branding a few months ago, whilst being in court over their Bid branding. either option seems plausible and fantasy all at the same time.
Maybe Western Suburbs as a club are sick of the Magpies not being front and centre or are keen to become its own entity, not sure. Exciting times folks

Pippen94

First Grade
Couriermail confirmed last night on NRL360, that there will be a 4th QLD team, and if these Elias rumours are true, either a 5th QLD side or potential WA tigers... it seems to be a somewhat coincidence that Easts in QLD had changed their branding a few months ago, whilst being in court over their Bid branding. either option seems plausible and fantasy all at the same time.
Maybe Western Suburbs as a club are sick of the Magpies not being front and centre or are keen to become its own entity, not sure. Exciting times folks

Well needed to rebrand in any case because Tigers exist already in NRL.

NRL not dumb enough to let Tigers leave Sydney or let Elias anywhere near competition.

MugaB

Coach
Well needed to rebrand in any case because Tigers exist already in NRL.

NRL not dumb enough to let Tigers leave Sydney or let Elias anywhere near competition.
I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen, i do remember him pushing for wests a good 5 years back to open talks about being in perth fulltime. I'm pretty sure whoever is funding him or even if he his bank rolling it himself, he is going to want reimbursement somehow

MugaB

Coach
Imagine something like this in 2057:

Adelaide Sharks
Auckland Warriors
Brisbane Broncos
Brisbane Firehawks
Canberra Raiders
Canterbury Bulldogs (Christchurch)
Central Coast Sea Eagles
Illawarra Dragons
Melbourne Storm
Moreton Bay Dolphins
Newcastle Knights
North Queensland Cowboys
North Sydney Sea Eagles
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Sydney Roosters
Wellington Orcas
West Coast Pirates
Western Sydney Tigers

Well having 2 teams in central coast makes perfect sense.... its obviousy fertile enough to have North Sydney Sea Eagles and Manly Sea Eagles to playing there,... dumb!
Or is this another QRL wynnum seagulls and tweed Seagulls thing? Actually you'd need them both coz there's no gold coast, i suppose with so many qld sides gold coast isn't nessesary.

Pippen94

First Grade
Well having 2 teams in central coast makes perfect sense.... its obviousy fertile enough to have North Sydney Sea Eagles and Manly Sea Eagles to playing there,... dumb!
Or is this another QRL wynnum seagulls and tweed Seagulls thing? Actually you'd need them both coz there's no gold coast, i suppose with so many qld sides gold coast isn't nessesary.

Lol - sea eagles derby would be something

MugaB

Coach
This would be my ultimate conference and new EXPANSION clubs line up

NORTH
North Queensland Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
Sunshine State Dolphins (new)
P.N.G.Pride (Cairns) (new)

EAST
Newcastle Knights
Manly-Central Coast Sea Eagles
North Sydney Roosters
Auckland Warriors
South Pacific Cyclones (new)

WEST
Wests Tigers
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bulldogs
West Coast Pirates or Adelaide Rams (new)

SOUTH
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Cronulla Sharks
Illawarra Dragons
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen, i do remember him pushing for wests a good 5 years back to open talks about being in perth fulltime. I'm pretty sure whoever is funding him or even if he his bank rolling it himself, he is going to want reimbursement somehow

Only Benny dumb enough to move team from area set for population explosion

MugaB

Coach
Only Benny dumb enough to move team from area set for population explosion
That wouldn't matter to him, he is a staunch Balmain Man, if they ain't being represented that way, he'd rather tear them down, and move them somewhere where they could flourish as that entity.
Right now its the Tigers in Magpies clothing.
(Tried the wolf in sheep's clothing analogy)
They are a shell of what once was, and pushing them further south wests only reinforces why i can see benny get the shíts and do something about it

Pippen94

First Grade
That wouldn't matter to him, he is a staunch Balmain Man, if they ain't being represented that way, he'd rather tear them down, and move them somewhere where they could flourish as that entity.
Right now its the Tigers in Magpies clothing.
(Tried the wolf in sheep's clothing analogy)
They are a shell of what once was, and pushing them further south wests only reinforces why i can see benny get the shíts and do something about it

As an impartial always view West Tigers just as an extension of Balmain more than magpies.
Spent 20 years cultivating fans in south west. Strategically it'd be a mistake to move

MugaB

Coach
As an impartial always view West Tigers just as an extension of Balmain more than magpies.
Spent 20 years cultivating fans in south west. Strategically it'd be a mistake to move
Its done none of that, it 90% Magpies owned and run, and Ashfield gifted the balmain side 10% so really they'd own everything if they wanted to, they are shít house at club level, but junior level are amazing, thats why there are so many good players stemming from there. If the team reverted back to the magpies im not sure the club would remain successful off-field as it is now

So the Branding is the key, i feel benny only is doing this to buy the "Tigers" name then he'll schlep them off to other bid consortiums of perth or brissy

I was choosing between Sea Eagles relocating to Gosford or playing as North Sydney. Didn't proof read it to see that I put both. I forgot about the poor old Titans. We don't hear much about them up here in northern Logan. I rarely, if ever, see their merchandise on sale at the local shops, and when all teams have their gear for sale, the hottest selling items are Broncos and Cowboys.

Remove Central Coast from the list and add the Gold Coast Titans. North Sydney Sea Eagles can play at SFS and Gosford.

Pippen94

First Grade
Its done none of that, it 90% Magpies owned and run, and Ashfield gifted the balmain side 10% so really they'd own everything if they wanted to, they are shít house at club level, but junior level are amazing, thats why there are so many good players stemming from there. If the team reverted back to the magpies im not sure the club would remain successful off-field as it is now

So the Branding is the key, i feel benny only is doing this to buy the "Tigers" name then he'll schlep them off to other bid consortiums of perth or brissy

That's pretty much what I said. Most ex Balmain fans I know support Wests Tigers because of mascot & colors.
Of course given south west's demographics there's probably a lot fans who never saw magpies or Balmain play.
Abandoning fastest growing area after 20 years or even brand change would be stupid.

Perth Red

Post Whore

West Sydney Magpies out of redeveloped Campbelltown and West Coast Tigers or East Brisbane Tigers making up an 18 club comp in 2026? Be very interesting to know if Sage is behind the Elias offer (Or Brisbane Easts). Is it coincidence that this has come at the same time that Sage has re-emerged to talk Perth expansion claiming he has a consortium willing to put $30million up for a club?

West Coast Tigers playing 9 games in Perth and 3 at Leichardt doesnt sound so far fetched, maybe? Be interesting to know if the staunch Balmain fans would rather continue to be a pseudo Magpies club with just a bit of the old Balmain branding and still based in Sydney or if they would rather go back to full on tigers brand with a 9-3 split with Perth? I could see the three game Liechardt West Coast Tigers Memberships being very popular! throw in a Tigers in Sydney membership for say 4 away games against Eels, Souths, Bulldogs and Magpies every year (that would be a cracking rivalry from day one!) with the 20k Perth RL fans and yoU have potentially one of the biggest membership clubs in the NRL!

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
West Sydney Magpies out of redeveloped Campbelltown and West Coast Tigers or East Brisbane Tigers making up an 18 club comp in 2026? Be very interesting to know if Sage is behind the Elias offer (Or Brisbane Easts). Is it coincidence that this has come at the same time that Sage has re-emerged to talk Perth expansion claiming he has a consortium willing to put $30million up for a club?

West Coast Tigers playing 9 games in Perth and 3 at Leichardt doesnt sound so far fetched, maybe? Be interesting to know if the staunch Balmain fans would rather continue to be a pseudo Magpies club with just a bit of the old Balmain branding and still based in Sydney or if they would rather go back to full on tigers brand with a 9-3 split with Perth? I could see the three game Liechardt West Coast Tigers Memberships being very popular! throw in a Tigers in Sydney membership for say 4 away games against Eels, Souths, Bulldogs and Magpies every year (that would be a cracking rivalry from day one!) with the 20k Perth RL fans and yoU have potentially one of the biggest membership clubs in the NRL!
I can see that being a good idea

Pippen94

First Grade

You know that's a pretty fun idea. Of course fans created in past 20 years support tigers not magpies. I see magpies struggling for support & being under pressure to relocate themselves. Growing south west catchment would be handed to rival codes.