What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL2 Second Division

siv

First Grade
Aren't these comps in existence now in NSW at least - Ron Massey Cup and Sydney Shield
Sydney Shield is a 3rd division

RMC was the restart but never brought in NSW country districts

But since it started we had some clubs try a NSW Cup but really all of these clubs bar the Bears are really 2nd division clubs when NRL players are removed

Pippen94

First Grade
Aren't you vehemently against Adelaide and Perth?

Ideally we would have a 12 team NRL1 and 12 team NRL2.

NRL1

North Queensland x 1
Brisbane x 2
Sydney x 3
Northern NSW x 1
ACT x 1
Victoria xb1
WA x 1
NZ x 2

NRL2

North Queensland x 2
Central Queensland x 1
Brisbane x 2
South Queensland x 2
Sydney x 3
Central NSW x 1
Southern NSW x 1

Most viable national comp would contain multiple teams in main capitals only (neither afl or NRL really have that widespread interest)

Colk

First Grade
Most viable national comp would contain multiple teams in main capitals only (neither afl or NRL really have that widespread interest)

It depends on what his idea of NRL 2 is? Is it a minor league thing or is he proposing a promotion/relegation idea. If it is the latter, and I don’t think the idea works in an Australian cultural sense, we wouldn’t have the amount of talent to service that many sides

Pippen94

First Grade
It depends on what his idea of NRL 2 is? Is it a minor league thing or is he proposing a promotion/relegation idea. If it is the latter, and I don’t think the idea works in an Australian cultural sense, we wouldn’t have the amount of talent to service that many sides

Doesn't matter - only a handful of decent sized markets in this country. Outside of that locations bring little commercial advantage

Canard

Immortal
Soccer has private ownership & plenty of ppl who want a team. 2nd division will work in that sport
No it will not.

It's not working in the top league, why would it work below.

You don't renovate the kitchen, whilst the whole house is burning

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
No it will not.

It's not working in the top league, why would it work below.

You don't renovate the kitchen, whilst the whole house is burning

There is no pro & reg currently so don't know how you can say it's not working now.
League became stale with the same 10 teams playing over again, which caused drop in interest.
Paramount & numerous overseas investors willing to put money in so they clearly disagree with ur prediction.

MugaB

Coach
This whole if you ain't with me, you're against Perth and Adelaide trope....
FMD im getting sick of scrolling thru these threads, and obviously im FOR expansion, to constantly see the bumpkins chime in and waste my time reading their incoherent garbage.... grotd really needs to fk off in some way.. pleasantly if possible... it really does my head in, with the dumb comments he makes

Pippen94

First Grade
FMD im getting sick of scrolling thru these threads, and obviously im FOR expansion, to constantly see the bumpkins chime in and waste my time reading their incoherent garbage.... grotd really needs to fk off in some way.. pleasantly if possible... it really does my head in, with the dumb comments he makes

Always said you don't grow congregation preaching to converted. Just don't think you should toss away current fans.

Colk

First Grade

I don’t think many people would suggest killing off sides altogether. Thankfully that ship has long since sailed

TheGrifter

Juniors
The a-league proves that people will watch a competition even when it's not the elite level if they have a local team to support.

I'm not sure where the a-league rates in comparison to European leagues, but I would guess it would be equivalent to the third tier in England.

It's the same idea here. There's not enough room in the NRL for every club and area that aspires to be a part of it. So let's make the next tier down as professional and entertaining as it can be, and enough people will be interested because it will be their own local side.

Canard

Immortal
The a-league proves that people will watch a competition even when it's not the elite level if they have a local team to support.

I'm not sure where the a-league rates in comparison to European leagues, but I would guess it would be equivalent to the third tier in England.

It's the same idea here. There's not enough room in the NRL for every club and area that aspires to be a part of it. So let's make the next tier down as professional and entertaining as it can be, and enough people will be interested because it will be their own local side.

Nobody watches the A-League. They have crowds of less than 1000 to some games, and crowds are on a huge downward trend.

@Pippen94 not sure why you think Channel 10 paying for the rights and then sticking it on there barely watched streaming service is "investing in it"

Bookmark this post. The A-League will contract before it ever expands again.

How the f**k would P&R work in Australia, without HUGE TV money and parachute payments? Clubs that are already on the breadline, would go super bankrupt.

mongoose

Coach
yeah A League is on its knees, Ten are already regretting paying for the TV rights and they didn't even pay that much

TheGrifter

Juniors
The point being that soccer still manages to run a professional national competition despite having only modest support. Same with basketball, netball, rugby union.

Rugby league is a much more popular spectator sport than all these. NRL2 second division could get similar crowds and tv viewers to a-league, NBL, super netball, super rugby.

Colk

First Grade
Nobody watches the A-League. They have crowds of less than 1000 to some games, and crowds are on a huge downward trend.

@Pippen94 not sure why you think Channel 10 paying for the rights and then sticking it on there barely watched streaming service is "investing in it"

Bookmark this post. The A-League will contract before it ever expands again.

How the f**k would P&R work in Australia, without HUGE TV money and parachute payments? Clubs that are already on the breadline, would go super bankrupt.

P&R would not work in Australia. I would make the argument that it doesn’t work outside of soccer in Europe, mainly because that sport absolutely dominates that continent. Unlike here, where we have four football codes

Latest posts