What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

ash the bash

Juniors
I think what the NRL will be looking for is:
1. Guaranteed investment in WA jnr and female pathways
2. Financial security of bid group and business case for new club
3. WA fan and business engagement strategy
4. Link up with other pathway opportunities elsewhere

I'd suggest any bid that ticks those boxes the strongest will win it
5. WA RL centre of excellence/ upgrade of NIB "west" stand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The older bloke gives me some optimism. Hopefully there's enough anti-AFL people there to give the team decent support
Unlike Sydney its not about being anti anything. Perth supports perth clubs. Its the parochial nature of the place so its not unusual to see a big mix of sports club merch at RL games I've been to here.

I actually thought the two young ladies were about the best informed people in the street comments I've heard in a news report on anything lol. Maybe by chance they happened across of a couple of NLRW hopefuls!

flippikat

Bench
Unlike Sydney its not about being anti anything. Perth supports perth clubs. Its the parochial nature of the place so its not unusual to see a big mix of sports club merch at RL games I've been to here.

I actually thought the two young ladies were about the best informed people in the street comments I've heard in a news report on anything lol. Maybe by chance they happened across of a couple of NLRW hopefuls!
From my vantage point in New Zealand, Perth & WA seem so far removed from the East Coast cities (heck, even Melbourne & Adelaide), that it's almost like another country.. and the fans seem to rally behind ANYTHING that's a chance to get a win over the other states.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From my vantage point in New Zealand, Perth & WA seem so far removed from the East Coast cities (heck, even Melbourne & Adelaide), that it's almost like another country.. and the fans seem to rally behind ANYTHING that's a chance to get a win over the other states.
I think with its splendid isolation comes that parochial sentiment. WA against the world type thing. Has its advantages, like now for an NRL club! We wont face half as much pushback as other sports trying to get established in enemy territory.
It was there for all to see during Covid when we were all quite happy to stick our two fingers up at the East coast who were trying to tell us what we should and shouldn't do.
NRL has an amazing, possibly once in a lifetime, opportunity with this WA Govt. I hope they dont squander it.

Wb1234

Referee
They will average 15 k.

Nothing special but they will be ok with the large corporate base wa has

their ground is going to be below most club grounds however and even one hundred million is. Lipstick on a pig

if they got a ground like Melbourne their crowds could break 20k and they will make way more from corporates

the ground is probably a medium sized negative for a new club that needs all the help it can get

mongoose

Coach
They will average 15 k.

Nothing special but they will be ok with the large corporate base wa has

their ground is going to be below most club grounds however and even one hundred million is. Lipstick on a pig

if they got a ground like Melbourne their crowds could break 20k and they will make way more from corporates

the ground is probably a medium sized negative for a new club that needs all the help it can get
its a better ground than what the Storm started with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
put a new corporate west stand up and cover south stand and its better than other nrl stadiums except the new ones. Like a smaller but more compact version of Newcastles stadium. Get it to 25k-27k and it will be perfect size for us for at least a few decades. Then when a mining boom comes along and they can justify leaving it they can build us a new one at Burswood!

Out of 20 odd stadiums used in NRL it will sit around 7th (8th if penrith gets built) in the table when next stage of development is done.

hbf park2.jpg

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
put a new corporate west stand up and cover south stand and its better than other nrl stadiums except the new ones. Like a smaller but more compact version of Newcastles stadium. Get it to 25k-27k and it will be perfect size for us for at least a few decades. Then when a mining boom comes along and they can justify leaving it they can build us a new one at Burswood!

Out of 20 odd stadiums used in NRL it will sit around 7th (8th if penrith gets built) in the table when next stage of development is done.

View attachment 67813
Given that there are more rectangular-field sports than oval-field sports surely to goodness W.A. should have a no-expense spared ` Bankwest` stadium for all their rectangular field sports. A 30 000 seat Optus stadium equivalent.
Forget the $160m up-grade, put the money straight into a new one.

Wb1234

Referee
Olympic park was a dump
Given that there are more rectangular-field sports than oval-field sports surely to goodness W.A. should have a no-expense spared ` Bankwest` stadium for all their rectangular field sports. A 30 000 seat Optus stadium equivalent.
thats exactly what the wa govt should be doing to give a Perth nrl team a solid basis

hbf park is dated

just blow the whole thing up and build something befitting elite sport

Perth Red

Post Whore
As I mentioned before that boat sailed in 2012. Having invested $160mill so far in HBF park there's no way a Govt can justify walking away from it now to spend a further $300mill plus somewhere else. Real shame and very short sighted by the Govt at the time but it is what it is now so we have to now campaign to make HBF park as good as it can be.
The frustrating thing is there is a parcel of land sitting between crown towers and Optus stadium that would be perfect and having spent hundreds of millions on the Burswood infrastructure for Optus it would have made total sense to put another stadium there. Oh well no one said Govt's were very bright most of the time!

burswood.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
You been there?
I suspect not lol.
Whilst it will never be a Commbank it wouldnt take much to make it a perfectly good mid sized stadium for the next 20-30 years.
The stuff a stadium benefits from re location is all there. Near train line, lots of bars and restaurants near by (better than Optus), plenty of parking near by if you want to drive in (better than Optus).
For fans its got everything needed and is still quite new. Nearly all seating, plenty of undercover seating, plenty of new toilets and food outlets, large grass area behind North stand for food trucks, kids to run around pop up merch etc, atmospheric view from East stand of sun setting over the city. Its really not bad for fans.
Its got three home club change rooms that are newish, new pitch, two new big screens, LED light systems just put in etc.
Where it lacks is for corporates at moment and overall capacity for big games. Nothing another $100mill or so wont fix!

hbf park3.jpg

flippikat

Bench
Well that's where the NRL, Football Australia & Rugby Australia need to all lobby the State Govt for a new rectangular stadium that can house the Glory, Force & a Perth NRL team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well that's where the NRL, Football Australia & Rugby Australia need to all lobby the State Govt for a new rectangular stadium that can house the Glory, Force & a Perth NRL team.
They aren't walking away from a $160mill investment in HBF park they have made so far.
One of the biggest issues for next phase is the dated West stand is heritage significant as are a lot of the trees around the stadium. They'll need to work out how they can replace the stand with that heritage listing in place. Don't know why its heritage listed, it looks sht and was only built in the 50's! lol.

download (2).jpg

Last edited:

Bukowski

Juniors
They aren't walking away from a $160mill investment in HBF park they have made so far.
One of the biggest issues for next phase is the dated West stand is heritage listed as are a lot of the trees around the stadium. They'll need to work out how they can replace the stand with that heritage listing in place. Don't know why its heritage listed, it looks sht lol.
North West end will be impacted be the road aswell. Not sure they could fit a full length of the field grandstand in.
Eastern stand is a good as Commbank's east stand