What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
B68BB0F2-6891-4417-B8B6-A5DCA6154A68.png
It looks like Campbelltown Sports Ground or perhaps the one at Central Coast. Not the worst I guess.
eh!
1. It’s not a semi oval 2. It’s got a massive new covered stand, 3 you’re close to the pitch 4.it hasn’t got grass hills
It’s nothing like Campbelltown lol, it looks more like HBF park BEFORE the redevelopment!

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
McGowan Government ups ante in new push for WA-based NRL team

Joe Spagnolo
The West Australian
Sun, 30 October 2022 2:00AM

The State Government has upped the ante in its efforts to get a WA-based National Rugby League team, forming a high-powered working group to make a Perth franchise a reality.
The Sunday Times can reveal the Government has appointed Labor politician Peter Tinley as chair of a working group which will “help facilitate the development of a third-party bid” to be the competition’s 18th team.

VenuesWest has also appointed consultants Freshwater Strategy to gauge “interest from potential third parties and determine the most appropriate bid structure”.
“There is huge interest on the east coast in having a WA team in the NRL competition,” Tourism Minister Roger Cook told The Sunday Times.

“It makes sense on so many levels.
“We have the best stadium in Australia, a fan base that is growing quickly and the time difference works well for TV schedules.”
Cook said if the NRL “wants to have a truly national competition,” then a Perth team was a must. “This is a great step to thoroughly investigate how a bid for the 18th team could work,” Cook said.

WA has not had a team in the professional league for more than two decades.
The NRL is an extension of the NSWRL.
In the 1990s, the Australian Rugby League and Super League were vying over broadcasting rights.

This lead to the NRL as we now know it and Perth-based Western Reds were cut from the league when the merged national competition was formed.
It means WA has been a virtual outcast when it comes to the national stage of rugby league.
957a78226090edca403a02ddfe5a43e9f6b77d29.jpg
The North Sydney Bears have already made noises about being the competition’s 18th team.

The rugby league spotlight again fell on Perth earlier this year with a successful State or Origin game at Optus Stadium, more than 59,000 fans attending.
In that game, the Blues squared the series with a 44-12 win over the Maroons.

Nearly 7000 visitors from outside WA were at the game — spending an estimated $13.3 million while in Perth.
“Two recent sell out State of Origin fixtures demonstrates that there is a strong and growing appetite for rugby league in Western Australia,” Sport and Recreation Minister David Templeman said.

“A WA-based NRL team would bring long term community, tourism and economic benefits to the state and grow and grow local participation in grass root sport, particularly female participation.”
The Redcliffe Dolphins will join the NRL next year as Queenlsland’s fourth side and the 17th team overall.

There is talk of a possible 18th team in the near future, particularly as the introduction of the Dolphins will leave an odd number of teams in the NRL.
The North Sydney Bears have already made noises about being the competition’s 18th team and there is talk WA could combine with the Bears in a possible alliance.

3836999add6b31ecdb0157c531ec3f51e91afc46.jpg
Sport and Recreation Minister David Templeman has already spoken with NRL powerbrokers about WA joining the national league.

Sport and Recreation Minister David Templeman has already spoken with NRL powerbrokers about WA joining the national league.

Bears officials were in Perth for the State of Origin game.
“Although the State Government won’t be leading the bid or responsible for a potential franchise, we are confident that there will be a strong and compelling case for a WA-based team,” Mr Templeman.
“WA’s nation leading economy provides an enormous opportunity for the NRL to maximise corporate support and fan spending.”

The government’s working group, aside from Mr Tinley as chair, will comprise VenuesWest, and Treasury representatives as well as representatives from Mr Templeman’s and Mr McGowan’s office.

“There are so many West Australian rugby league fans who are looking forward to the day when they can support a WA based team,” Mr Tinley said.
“WA has strong foundations to support an NRL franchise with participation in the sport behind only NSW and Queensland, and encouragingly, nearly a quarter of all registered players are female.
“I look forward to seeing the development of a strong third-party bid and working with them in securing an NLR franchise for Western Australians.”

Sorry but i doubt that the 7000 visitors spent $1900 each whilst in perth, so either the figures are fudged, or this is written poorly as a good old fashion "hey we're still here" just like the bears do every few months, then use random figures suggesting how many possible hibernating supporters there might be...
I dont doubt that WA govt and venuewest are pushing for the 18th licence, just that they dont have club to promote other than this bears quest... they obviously don't think the pirates are the answer there

Colk

First Grade
Sorry but i doubt that the 7000 visitors spent $1900 each whilst in perth, so either the figures are fudged, or this is written poorly as a good old fashion "hey we're still here" just like the bears do every few months, then use random figures suggesting how many possible hibernating supporters there might be...
I dont doubt that WA govt and venuewest are pushing for the 18th licence, just that they dont have club to promote other than this bears quest... they obviously don't think the pirates are the answer there

You obviously haven’t been to Perth MugaB. It is a fairly expensive place so it is not that implausible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You obviously haven’t been to Perth MugaB. It is a fairly expensive place so it is not that implausible.
you're not wrong lol, thats about two coffes and and an avo smash :)
Funny how people read things. If the Bears were the only option they were looking at I'm not sure they'd be employing consultants to go over the best bid option to get in bed with.

"VenuesWest has also appointed consultants Freshwater Strategy to gauge “interest from potential third parties and determine the most appropriate bid structure”.

Iamback

Coach
I think you’re applying the conditions of the Sydney market and naturally assuming that those conditions hold in other markets. Sydney has nine league sides, two fumbleball sides, three a-league sides and a union side. That’s way too many sides in a market like Sydney (there really is only room for just over half that) but putting that aside for one moment, it is likely that 20k is quite a reasonable expectation for most events, so there is a need for that type of stadium.

As Canard mentioned earlier Brisbane is a completely different scenario and market to Sydney. In Brisbane you have two NRL sides, an AFL side and a union side. What events would there be where 20k is the max expected attendance? They are not going to be NRLW games or QLD Cup games. Maybe A-League although Roar fans seemed happy with Redcliffe. Union maybe but who cares about them.

Essentially you are asking the QLD State government to build a stadium for League (predominantly) when you have the best rectangular stadium in the country based on the few times that you get less than 20k. What’s the point? If the Dolphins can’t get at least 20k average attendance in a city of more then two million people when they are only the second team in that city then they shouldn’t have been put in the competition.

All sports are pushing for Women leagues, They are a long way from drawing 50k to games but fall in the mid range crowd tier for certain events

The Roar fans you mentioned are another perfect example of being too small for Suncorp and in some cases too big for Redcliffe.

So it is more than just a RL Stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All sports are pushing for Women leagues, They are a long way from drawing 50k to games but fall in the mid range crowd tier for certain events

The Roar fans you mentioned are another perfect example of being too small for Suncorp and in some cases too big for Redcliffe.

So it is more than just a RL Stadium.
Then let the Roar build themselves an 18-20kstadium, I cant see anyone else needs one and they will be better off at Suncorp. I'm assuming when NRLW gets to full strength it will be the pre NRL warm up game anyway and therefore played in same stadiums?

Iamback

Coach
Then let the Roar build themselves an 18-20kstadium, I cant see anyone else needs one and they will be better off at Suncorp. I'm assuming when NRLW gets to full strength it will be the pre NRL warm up game anyway and therefore played in same stadiums?

It isn't going to recoup the $120m the game is spending as pre NRL warm up

Then you throw W League, Super Rugby Womens all needing a mid capacity Stadium

MugaB

Coach
I think Adelaide would be quite happy not to have an NRL team if they think that's the quality of your avg Rl fan lol. Can we stop people from Penrith leaving Sydney and sullying the good name of RL?
Nope, the world cups on PENRITH IS EVERYWHERE!

MugaB

Coach
"VenuesWest has also appointed consultants Freshwater Strategy to gauge “interest from potential third parties and determine the most appropriate bid structure”.
Wtf does that have to do with what i said?
They obviously dont rate the pirates, so...

Perth Red

Post Whore
It isn't going to recoup the $120m the game is spending as pre NRL warm up

Then you throw W League, Super Rugby Womens all needing a mid capacity Stadium
A 5000 stadium maybe? How many do you think attend womens soccer, union and league games??
Brisbane Tigers are as we speak are building a stadium perfect for womens pro sport

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wtf does that have to do with what i said?
They obviously dont rate the pirates, so...
what makes you say that? Do you even know if there is a "Pirates' bid? Pirates as a brand is actually owned by the NRL through the NRLWA.
Sounds to me like there are a few options and the WA Govt wants to do its due diligence about which will be the best to hitch its wagon to. Hence employing consultants to do the work.
There's nothing in what they've put out last week suggesting they are only interested in the Bears partnership, in fact it reads the opposite and they are open to looking at any bid or even being part of creating a new one.

'Preliminary work has already begun with consultants Freshwater Strategy to determine interest from potential third parties and the most appropriate bid structure, the government said on Sunday.'

"Although the state government won't be leading the bid or responsible for a potential franchise, we are confident that there will be a strong and compelling case for a WA-based team."

MugaB

Coach
what makes you say that? Do you even know if there is a "Pirates' bid? Pirates as a brand is actually owned by the NRL through the NRLWA.
Sounds to me like there are a few options and the WA Govt wants to do its due diligence about which will be the best to hitch its wagon to. Hence employing consultants to do the work.
There's nothing in what they've put out last week suggesting they are only interested in the Bears partnership, in fact it reads the opposite and they are open to looking at any bid or even being part of creating a new one.

'Preliminary work has already begun with consultants Freshwater Strategy to determine interest from potential third parties and the most appropriate bid structure, the government said on Sunday.'

"Although the state government won't be leading the bid or responsible for a potential franchise, we are confident that there will be a strong and compelling case for a WA-based team."

Again its garbage... coz there isn't a club there putting their hand up to promote into being the NRL franchise... lets say its the easts tigers who say yep we will move to WA... these two WA govt and Venueswest would backem, but they aint going to run one on their own.. nor would the NRL grant them a license, on just being interested... again if the pirates were competitive and relevant as some of the other lower grade sides around the country, there is a good chance the ARLC would look into it, but they're not, so unless someone moves to Perth, these guys are moot

Canard

Immortal
Again its garbage... coz there isn't a club there putting their hand up to promote into being the NRL franchise... lets say its the easts tigers who say yep we will move to WA... these two WA govt and Venueswest would backem, but they aint going to run one on their own.. nor would the NRL grant them a license, on just being interested... again if the pirates were competitive and relevant as some of the other lower grade sides around the country, there is a good chance the ARLC would look into it, but they're not, so unless someone moves to Perth, these guys are moot

Lower grade football will have nothing to do with it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think you understand the notion of bids lol. There is nothing to say it has to be an existing QRL or NSW cup club that can bid. Its much more likely WA Govt will host interested parties and bring together a consortia of people who will then bid with their support. If they can get Puddy, Cumins and who knows who else is sat in the wings round a table and with their commitments put together a bid that the NRL likes then that is what will happen. Or it may be there aren't such people interested in which case yes they may have to encourage a third party from over East. None of us know yet.

Again I don't think you understand "the Pirates" lol. They aren't a club They are an SG ball side run by the NRLWA who are in effect owned by the NRL. The Pirates as they stand at the moment is just the brand given to a previous bid group led by Cumins and the then WARL and that was adopted for the SG Ball side because Cumins is funding it. Its not a club and never has been.

Colk

First Grade

So what about the Raiders, Storm, Broncos, Knights, Titans and Warriors? They completely fly in the face of this idea that you have to promote a club from a second grade. In fact this idea doesn’t happen in any other sport. None of these identities existed in any shape or form prior to their entry into the premier competition.

Perth just need a good business plan, money and solid management. That will be the most important factor in their success/failure, as with any team in any competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think what the NRL will be looking for is:
1. Guaranteed investment in WA jnr and female pathways
2. Financial security of bid group and business case for new club
3. WA fan and business engagement strategy
4. Link up with other pathway opportunities elsewhere

I'd suggest any bid that ticks those boxes the strongest will win it