What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Colk

First Grade
NZ is 6 million people. A lot of union sure but a lot of league too.
Sydney has 9 sides...with 5 million..
NZ has 1.... 6 million...
NZ 2 is a dream location . There's never going to be a more obvious expansion.

It’s not 6 million. It is just over five. But yes, I do believe there should be another side there (South Island for me). Possibly down the line you could have three.

The negative that NZ has though is that there isn’t a big population centre outside of Auckland. There is also a lot of groundwork to be made with regards to juniors and pathways. The other thing that might scare off another side there is how bad the Warriors have been for a long time.

Gobsmacked

Bench
It’s not 6 million. It is just over five. But yes, I do believe there should be another side there (South Island for me). Possibly down the line you could have three.

The negative that NZ has though is that there isn’t a big population centre outside of Auckland. There is also a lot of groundwork to be made with regards to juniors and pathways. The other thing that might scare off another side there is how bad the Warriors have been for a long time.
I don't think it requires a big population centre to get a decent crowd. What's Townsville? Canberra?
You need 15 k at the stadium but the tv numbers are what matters. Another NZ team will certainly double the intrest of the NRL in NZ

Wb1234

Referee
Central Coast will never be in play.
In order of chances:
Nz2
Perth
Adelaide
Brisbane 3
Nz3
Sunshine Coast
PNG
Central qld
Cairns
Melbourne 2

Central Coast.
Perth
Logan
Nz2

after that then they are certainly a chance along with the likes of Adelaide and png

the rest are zero chance

Colk

First Grade
I don't think it requires a big population centre to get a decent crowd. What's Townsville? Canberra?
You need 15 k at the stadium but the tv numbers are what matters. Another NZ team will certainly double the intrest of the NRL in NZ

I’m not suggesting that you definitely need that however it does make it harder.

Wb1234

Referee

Stupid nrl is letting the warriors rot on the vine

though their owners are far more to blame for their current situation

their current owner appears to be a massive muppet

Colk

First Grade
Stupid nrl is letting the warriors rot on the vine

though their owners are far more to blame for their current situation

their current owner appears to be a massive muppet

Totally agree. If the Warriors had some success it would be massive for the game.

The problem is as much with the clubs as it is with the NRL. I don’t see the clubs doing much to thank the Warriors for what they did during COVID

Also, if you were to give say the Warriors and another Kiwi side incentives to poach Union talent you would have to do it for all of the clubs to stop the whinging that would occur.

Wb1234

Referee
Totally agree. If the Warriors had some success it would be massive for the game.

The problem is as much with the clubs as it is with the NRL. I don’t see the clubs doing much to thank the Warriors for what they did during COVID

Also, if you were to give say the Warriors and another Kiwi side incentives to poach Union talent you would have to do it for all of the clubs to stop the whinging that would occur.
The thing that bugs me the most about rugby league is the selfishness that pervails

to give credit to the fumblers look how they back their expansion teams. The strong Victorian and intestate clubs get only 10 to 12 million from the afl so the weaker ones can get up to 30 million

but when Dave smith suggested a variable funding model in league the clubs were about to revolt

there is no logical reason why a Sydney club with a leagues club behind it should get the same funding from the arlc as the warriors or the storm

and the commission isn’t strong enough to put the clubs in their place

Colk

First Grade
The thing that bugs me the most about rugby league is the selfishness that pervails

to give credit to the fumblers look how they back their expansion teams. The strong Victorian and intestate clubs get only 10 to 12 million from the afl so the weaker ones can get up to 30 million

but when Dave smith suggested a variable funding model in league the clubs were about to revolt

there is no logical reason why a Sydney club with a leagues club behind it should get the same funding from the arlc as the warriors or the storm

and the commission isn’t strong enough to put the clubs in their place

100%

You give greater grants to the clubs that have greater costs or our indeed smaller. A lot of clubs outside of Sydney either have greater costs due to geography (junior areas like Newcastle/Hunter, Gold Coast/Tweed Heads/Northern NSW or North Queensland or indeed NZ are huge areas) or they are just smaller in terms of profit (Newcastle and Gold Coast again)

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Both PNG and Perth are only being discussed by politicians lol
And in typical political fashion have no real substance to what they're saying.

The NRL are well on top of the issue and there's precisely 0 sway any political peanut has over the NRL. Politicians come and go and the decision for an NRL licence is permanent.
If the WA government passes a funding bill for the franchise to the tune of millions each year come see me
The NRL almost moved the Grand final because of a failed promise of the NSW government less than a month ago 😳 the NRL and any government couldn't be on worse terms! The only thing worse than Perth putting it's name forward with the government!! Is the timing!!!

If Perth wants a shot that's great but jumping in with government won't help!
lol you really dont understand how this will work do you? The WA Govt will provide assistance in other ways, not in direct funding. This could include HBF park upgrades and cheap rental, CofE for NRLWA and the new club, direct funding to NRLWA for jnrs and other programs. All things that will help a NRL club be successful in the long term. Hopefully the NRL are laying this out as the must haves. WA Govt has $10bill surplus, its got the money to do what it likes and for some reason sees having an NRL club here as important. Make hay whilst the sun shines!

The fact they are paying money for consultants to review the bid options and decide best way forward would suggest its much more than political lip service.

as for the bids, last year both puddy and cumins were on record as saying they were ready to put a consortium together to bid. Sage has registered a name and has shown previous interest.
A couple of months ago we had a bid team come out and state they would talk to Bears but didnt need them.
and then we have the Bears who will quite literally go anywhere.
I dont think we will be short of options!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Meanwhile 6 months ago New Zealand has already been told they're the front runners. New Zealand are playing in a world cup while the bids are doing the hard work on details for everything to be announced professionally once they get the green light.
New Zealand win world cup , Warriors returns to packed Mt smart, New Zealand league juniors and participants make the news for their increased numbers- 18 licence bid announced.
Timing is key
Brisbane bid rode a wave of a grand final, magic weekend ect .
Vlandys knows how to capitalise on publicity and is only waiting for the perfect timing for the announcement.
New Zealand 2
Really whose these NZ bids and where will they be based? There has been zero mention from NZ since Chalmers18 months ago, apart from the nonsense pacifika one.
Perth will be next, after the tv deal fiasco NRL has woken up to the fact it needs metro reach. Or if they havent they bloody well should have!

Gobsmacked

Bench
Where do you think the expansion debate will go if NZ wins the WC?....
Perth could be dead in the water in a week's time...
Half WA hate the current government, so their name to the Perth bid isn't the idea situation you think it is 😉

Wb1234

Referee
Half WA hate the current government, so their name to the Perth bid isn't the idea situation you think it is 😉
Don’t think it has any influence

Covid almost killed the warriors that’s the biggest worry now is getting them reestablished in nz

good thing is many clubs have moved their home games to nz next year

Gobsmacked

Bench
Don’t think it has any influence

Covid almost killed the warriors that’s the biggest worry now is getting them reestablished in nz

good thing is many clubs have moved their home games to nz next year
Really? That's great news. Do you have a link you could share?

Bukowski

Juniors
Where do you get the idea that half the state hate the current govt?