What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Colk

First Grade

That article is more than 12 months old. As Perth Red has said there hasn’t been much chatter about them lately.

Now all these things could change and change drastically but with all the talk being about Perth and the sheer money that they have over there I wouldn’t put a second NZ side as favourite at this point in time.

Colk

First Grade
Where do you get the idea that half the state hate the current govt?

I was going to respond to this. They have got a massive majority government over there. Also if you studied the Federal Government results, WA were very influential in Morrison getting turfed - massive swing against the Liberals.

McGowan and Labour seem very very popular.

Bukowski

Juniors
I was going to respond to this. They have got a massive majority government over there. Also if you studied the Federal Government results, WA were very influential in Morrison getting turfed - massive swing against the Liberals.

McGowan and Labour seem very very popular.
I only remembered the libs leaders name last week due to a news poll about him. Something like 8% of pollsters were satisfied with his performance.

Colk

First Grade
I only remembered the libs leaders name last week due to a news poll about him. Something like 8% of pollsters were satisfied with his performance.

After hearing about their result a few years back, there wouldn’t be much choice. Heads or tails maybe

It’s crazy rugby league has so many more places that deserve an nrl team and yet afl will be stuck polishing the massive t**d that is the gws for eternity (until one day they relocate it to Canberra)
I don't buy this claim that GWS is a waste of time and money but having nine RL teams in Sydney -- plus a prospective club on the Central Coast -- is good. All clubs are given an annual grant that's 130% of the salary cap and equates to about $4m spent on football operations. Combined, that means the nine Sydney clubs are taking in $36m per annum just to survive, and despite this, they're not helping our game grow and are conceding ground to AwFuL. Imagine what junior RL could do with an extra $36m each year!

Last edited:
I don't think it requires a big population centre to get a decent crowd. What's Townsville? Canberra?
You need 15 k at the stadium but the tv numbers are what matters. Another NZ team will certainly double the intrest of the NRL in NZ
Where's the money going to come from to support a second NZ team?

It cannot be in Auckland because there's just not enough interest in the city to support two teams. The Warriors get about 16k, which is great in an RU mad country, but it's not strong enough to warrant a second team in Auckland. Outside of Auckland there probably isn't a market with enough people and corporate sponsorship to cover a professional RL team in an RU mad country.

The ARLC will choose the bid that is least likely to become insolvent. I'm not sure that bid will come from NZ. Perth is a very rich city, so it wouldn't surprise me if it came from there. The only other city that can provide the money to survive and thrive is Brisbane, but the three other clubs in SEQ won't want a fourth stepping on their toes any time soon. It would be a huge gamble to put another team in Brisbane before 2033 as it could kill the Dolphins and Bris3.

Long-term I'd like to see three teams in NZ, but for that to happen we'll need an ARLC that's willing to support NZ 2 and 3 for at least 10 to 15 years. There's no way the 16 current Australian clubs, QRL, NSWRL and RLPA will let the ARLC leave money aside for NZ 2 and NZ 3. Self-interest always wins in RL. We're lucky News Ltd won the Super League War as it led to them funding the Storm until 2012. Their exit from the game in 2012 came with the guarantee that the ARLC would fund the Storm until 2017. Our so-called independent commission is run by the clubs, RLPA, QRL and NSW.

Reflector

Bench
Throwing stones... cows were also playing out of a massive shithole, up until FURSTON!!! got the QLD govt to build them a new one... but yeah throw those stones, you fkn hypocrite!!
Yeah but DFS had a different (Q)uality to it....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who benefits from club 18?

what’s best for the nrl: Perth. Capital city metro market and Sunday evening timeslot brings the best value from Australian tv and future nrl sponsorship. A west coast addition also breaks the public perception of RL as A Niche east coast sport.

whats best for the clubs: NZ2. less competition for their current players or competing with them for Australian jnr talent. Also fills the friday 6pm slot which Australian clubs don’t like. Also argument that if they are as bad as warriors it is one less co petite club they will face.

whats best for the international game: PNG. Still a long way to go for png on the world stage and the addition of 25 ft nrl players can only help the kumuls step up like Tonga and fiji are doing.

MugaB

Coach
Who benefits from club 18?

what’s best for the nrl: Perth. Capital city metro market and Sunday evening timeslot brings the best value from Australian tv and future nrl sponsorship. A west coast addition also breaks the public perception of RL as A Niche east coast sport.

whats best for the clubs: NZ2. less competition for their current players or competing with them for Australian jnr talent. Also fills the friday 6pm slot which Australian clubs don’t like. Also argument that if they are as bad as warriors it is one less co petite club they will face.

whats best for the international game: PNG. Still a long way to go for png on the world stage and the addition of 25 ft nrl players can only help the kumuls step up like Tonga and fiji are doing.
This isn't the right thread to talk about Perth. Its a thread about everything BUT perth...

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Believe what you want to, perth will be next.
If Perth are the next team to join the NRL, and I sincerely hope that you are right, then it will be largely down to one P.V`landy`s and Andrew Abdo.
You should be big enough to admit, especially since you have been so quick to condemn him repeatedly and vehemently, that this is his baby.
The chances of this ever having happened on anyone else`s watch is remote, certainly not within the next ten years.

Wb1234

Immortal
If Perth are the next team to join the NRL, and I sincerely hope that you are right, then it will be largely down to one P.V`landy`s and Andrew Abdo.
You should be big enough to admit, especially since you have been so quick to condemn him repeatedly and vehemently, that this is his baby.
The chances of this ever having happened on anyone else`s watch is remote, certainly not within the next ten years.
Nailed it

he’s not the only one either though he has the loudest voice

loads of this forum want Perth are the same people bagging vlandys as a bad leader

Perth Red

Post Whore
That all depends on WHO they choose. After picking the dolphins over the firehawks I’m not full of confidence we won’t get the fifo bears dumped on us! IF we get a proper perth club that’s done right then yep I will whole heartedly congratulate Vlandys and his hand puppet for going where no man has dared to go before (well since 1997 at least)

reanimate

Bench
Juniors - who are already servicing an NRL side
Stadium - an advantage to a point but it is not a good stadium so it would need a good amount of money to be poured into it
existing fan base - who? Are you talking about the Bears or the Central Coast? If it is the latter then the CC is an area already full of people who support other sides. They have ten other sides they can support within a 2 hour or so radius and they have the means to do so. In any case the whole point is not an existing fan base but creating a new fan base without impacting other clubs which CC wouldn’t provide
Leagues club - sure but so do a whole bunch of areas in QLD and NSW.
Direct train link to Sydney - see point 3. It is actually a disadvantage to a point.
Growing population - agreed but it is still a small population. Moreover, a large part of that population is coming from Sydney and already support a side.

I’m not against CC as an area. I live in Newcastle and travel often to that area. I also used to work there. It’s a nice enough place. It’s just not very big in terms of population, it’s quite spread out and it doesn’t have any large businesses or corporates (so money would be a problem i.e. what the Knights have struggled with)

If there were only 4 or 5 Sydney sides then I could see the point maybe but there are ten sides surrounding them. CC would have to come at the expense of an existing side via relocation really
The Knights have struggled at times there, despite Newcastle and the Hunter being home to some large companies, eg NIB, a university, a decent sized building society, Newcastle Permanent, and a lot of industry activity surrounding its harbour. The CC has very little in comparison, their council is broke and in administration and many residents of the CC commute to work in Sydney or Newcastle due to the lack of opportunities on the CC itself.

Wb1234

Immortal
The Knights have struggled at times there, despite Newcastle and the Hunter being home to some large companies, eg NIB, a university, a decent sized building society, Newcastle Permanent, and a lot of industry activity surrounding its harbour. The CC has very little in comparison, their council is broke and in administration and many residents of the CC commute to work in Sydney or Newcastle due to the lack of opportunities on the CC itself.
Leagues club

manly don’t even have a leagues club anymore do they ?

reanimate

Bench
Leagues club

manly don’t even have a leagues club anymore do they ?
Yeah I’m sure the leagues club can replace the likes of NIB, Newcastle Uni, the industry at the harbour etc.

Newcastle has it beat with the Wests group alone.

Colk

First Grade

True. As a Novocastrian, the area doesn’t have a massive corporate base but yet it is much more than what Gosford/CC can offer.

With a booming population in the Hunter/Newcastle area and going over a million that corporate base will likely improve. Not a Knights fan but it would be good for the area to see them be financially strong