What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah I’m sure the leagues club can replace the likes of NIB, Newcastle Uni, the industry at the harbour etc.

Newcastle has it beat with the Wests group alone.
Tbh I think a central coast team would be stronger financially than manly but obviously that boat has sailed

Wb1234

Referee
True. As a Novocastrian, the area doesn’t have a massive corporate base but yet it is much more than what Gosford/CC can offer.

With a booming population in the Hunter/Newcastle area and going over a million that corporate base will likely improve. Not a Knights fan but it would be good for the area to see them be financially strong
Wests Newcastle have them sorted

docbrown

Coach
I doubt there will be a sole Central Coast team within the next 20 years. There are larger metro areas that are of more immediate concern.

However, the Central Coast will have a population of over half a million in 30 years. It's about 340,000 now. That would put it on par with what Canberra and Newcastle are today. Having a team based in part there would be an advantage for the NRL and is something that other sports would struggle to replicate. More teams in more cities should be a part of the NRL's philosophy.

So with that said, I'd be supportive of the NRL if they offered clubs like Manly, Cronulla or the Roosters a financial incentive to relocate half their matches there and do a partial rebrand like St George-Illawarra e.g. Coastal Sharks or Sea-Eagles. I'm not saying those but it would have to be something that appeases existing fans and is appealing to new ones. It would have to be a long lasting deal though - at least 15 years - so that it's not just a club money grab.

reanimate

Bench
Tbh I think a central coast team would be stronger financially than manly but obviously that boat has sailed
The criteria for admission isn’t going to be a comparison to Manly. Teams aren’t going to be admitted on the basis of the potential of being slightly less of a basket case than whatever basket case team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I doubt there will be a sole Central Coast team within the next 20 years. There are larger metro areas that are of more immediate concern.

However, the Central Coast will have a population of over half a million in 30 years. It's about 340,000 now. That would put it on par with what Canberra and Newcastle are today. Having a team based in part there would be an advantage for the NRL and is something that other sports would struggle to replicate. More teams in more cities should be a part of the NRL's philosophy.

So with that said, I'd be supportive of the NRL if they offered clubs like Manly, Cronulla or the Roosters a financial incentive to relocate half their matches there and do a partial rebrand like St George-Illawarra e.g. Coastal Sharks or Sea-Eagles. I'm not saying those but it would have to be something that appeases existing fans and is appealing to new ones. It would have to be a long lasting deal though - at least 15 years - so that it's not just a club money grab.
Canberra and newcastle wouldn't be in NRL if they didnt have pokie dens covering their inability to generate revenue. Will CC have a pokie den?

Wb1234

Referee
The criteria for admission isn’t going to be a comparison to Manly. Teams aren’t going to be admitted on the basis of the potential of being slightly less of a basket case than whatever basket case team.
Lucky the incumbents don’t face scrutiny

unlucky for the game of rugby league though

reanimate

Bench
Lucky the incumbents don’t face scrutiny

unlucky for the game of rugby league though
That’s very true in a lot of ways. Our current teams and set ups don’t live up to their potential. The solution though isn’t to admit teams that are going to have limited potential, it’s to admit teams with a lot of potential, eg Brisbane 2, as we’re finally doing, WA etc.

docbrown

Coach
Canberra and newcastle wouldn't be in NRL if they didnt have pokie dens covering their inability to generate revenue. Will CC have a pokie den?
Well if I recall correctly you were the person who said just a few weeks ago (before the netball drama) that Gina Rinehart would be a good potential backer for a Perth RL side, so forgive me if I doubt you somewhat on this issue.

By the way, I have no doubt that a Perth team will be backed by mining companies, particularly those who are helping to destroy the planet. The whole comp in its 'glory day' was sponsored by cigarette companies. Vice is a part of life and frequently a part of sport.

docbrown

Coach
That’s very true in a lot of ways. Our current teams and set ups don’t live up to their potential. The solution though isn’t to admit teams that are going to have limited potential, it’s to admit teams with a lot of potential, eg Brisbane 2, as we’re finally doing, WA etc.
I agree with you there. As a Manly fan though I'm guessing that you can see that with Sydney clubs there are haves and have nots. Manly is clearly a have not club. If the NRL said tomorrow, 'Hey will give Manly $25 million to play 6 matches a year to play out of Gosford and rebrand as a partial Central Coast team' would you support it?

Wb1234

Referee
Well we could wipe the slate clean and rank all the teams properly and admit the best 18 from that lot

central coast would make that process

Wb1234

Referee
I agree with you there. As a Manly fan though I'm guessing that you can see that with Sydney clubs there are haves and have nots. Manly is clearly a have not club. If the NRL said tomorrow, 'Hey will give Manly $25 million to play 6 matches a year to play out of Gosford and rebrand as a partial Central Coast team' would you support it?
Penn is an absentee landlord living the life in New York

once he’s get the 25 million he wants for the club he’s a seller. If the buyer is a central coast bidder I have little doubt the arlc would allow them to relocate there

reanimate

Bench
I wouldn’t (yet), because the NRL should be fixing the North Shore before trying to push teams up to the Central Coast. They should be giving the club that takes over the North Shore that 25 million to smash the area with promotions, clinics, ads, school visits etc.

The Central Coast is of secondary importance to the North Shore. The North Shore has a bigger population, far, far more money and corporate opportunities and is much closer geographically to existing teams, making engaging with the area easy for the teams around it. The North Shore being effectively engaged would generate far better results for the game. It would be good to see the Central Coast get that sort of engagement one day, but not before the North Shore has been fixed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well if I recall correctly you were the person who said just a few weeks ago (before the netball drama) that Gina Rinehart would be a good potential backer for a Perth RL side, so forgive me if I doubt you somewhat on this issue.

By the way, I have no doubt that a Perth team will be backed by mining companies, particularly those who are helping to destroy the planet. The whole comp in its 'glory day' was sponsored by cigarette companies. Vice is a part of life and frequently a part of sport.
haha not me.
Whilst I think clubs should be able to stand on their own two feet and not rely on misery of pokies my point was that regional teams will struggle and to use Newcastle and Canberra as examples of why a Gosford team wouldn't is erroneous unless a Gosford team is also going to have a pokie den to make up the revenue gap that being in a regional area creates.

reanimate

Bench
Well at least you agree with me the bears are a better bet for rugby league than manly

lol
e9d.jpg

siv

First Grade
They have two

CC Leagues and NS Leagues

Plus CC has them associated with many of the junior clubs, Wyong, The Entrance, Erina. And they used to have Woy Woy before Easts shut it down

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
They have two

CC Leagues and NS Leagues

Plus CC has them associated withany of the junior clubs, Wyong, The Entrance, Erina. And they used to have Woy Woy before Easts shut it down
I kind of feel bears should wait for a central coast team or maybe buy the license from penn

manly could get left behind if things stay as they are

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The Knights have struggled at times there, despite Newcastle and the Hunter being home to some large companies, eg NIB, a university, a decent sized building society, Newcastle Permanent, and a lot of industry activity surrounding its harbour. The CC has very little in comparison, their council is broke and in administration and many residents of the CC commute to work in Sydney or Newcastle due to the lack of opportunities on the CC itself.
Changing quickly though, with a lot of people priced out of the Sydney housing market and the new trend of working from home x-amount of days per week the central coast is ideally positioned to see a population and socio-economic transformation. The company my daughter works for Gelion who are manufacturing some new-fandangled battery developed out of Sydney Uni. have set up a manufacturing plant at Somersby a stones throw from Gosford. The Laundy`s know it as well :

" Veteran pub owner Arthur and his son Stuart Laundy have swooped on for the historic Bayview Hotel at Woy Woy on the NSW Central Coast paying a record $38 million for the sprawling waterfront asset."

Latest posts