What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Interesting, and looks like another retro grade step for Sydney RL. I can see why Roosters would want their own NSW cup team but walking away from taking over the north shore seems a bit short sighted for them. They've got a big stadium to fill.
Obviously there are real reasons behind it. I mean The Roosters and The Storm have arguably been the best run sides over the last 12 years, and changing the structures they've had seems a little odd, in the Roosters case, not The Storm.
There could be many speculations, my first thought was maybe Norths joining up with Perth is actually a reality waiting to happen. Just my initial thought, who knows the deeper reasons though.

MugaB

Coach
The north shore is now Roosters. Bears are quite rightly their feeder club forever more. Just need Roosters to now step up and market themselves to the region and bring the Jnrs under a Sydney city regional umbrella. Start by giving every kid in the new region a 3 game adult and child free membership and get their players into every North shore school. Offer grants to the North shore amateur clubs etc. Apparently they are totally coined so can afford to do it properly.
Geez you're a little late to the news, norths ain't feeding them from '24 onwards.. must be some reason easts are doing their own thing, or norths wanna go alone.. i didn't read into it but i know they are parting ways

Geez you're a little late to the news, norths ain't feeding them from '24 onwards.. must be some reason easts are doing their own thing, or norths wanna go alone.. i didn't read into it but i know they are parting ways
Going by the link i put up, it looks like the Roosters may supply Norths with a few players but they are fielding their own Reserves team

“While we have enjoyed a successful partnership with the North Sydney Bears, we have notified them that we will be fielding our own team in the 2023 Knock On Effect NSW Cup competition,” general manager of football programs Craig Walker said.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I think Norths talking with Perth and their own promotion doesn't fill the Roosters with confidence going forward.
They need a sustainable and loyal feeder club ( which norths aren't signalling!).
The best way be be certain of that is to have your own. Probably just offer all the North's guys a contract 😎

Silly North's.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think Norths talking with Perth and their own promotion doesn't fill the Roosters with confidence going forward.
They need a sustainable and loyal feeder club ( which norths aren't signalling!).
The best way be be certain of that is to have your own. Probably just offer all the North's guys a contract 😎

Silly North's.
Part of the problem of the NRl not having the balls to tell Norths they aren't getting a license under any circumstance. The limbo for the north shore continues. It makes total sense for the North Shore and Easts regions to be combined into a a Sydney city region and come under the Roosters. NS can still exist and be part of that new picture. All this false hope everytime expansion gets mentioned does no one any favours. NS should be told that they can take their brand to another city if they want but that their region will come under the roosters regardless.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Part of the problem of the NRl not having the balls to tell Norths they aren't getting a license under any circumstance. The limbo for the north shore continues. It makes total sense for the North Shore and Easts regions to be combined into a a Sydney city region and come under the Roosters. NS can still exist and be part of that new picture. All this false hope everytime expansion gets mentioned does no one any favours. NS should be told that they can take their brand to another city if they want but that their region will come under the roosters regardless.
It's a few old blokes with nostalgia.
Let go ffs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah and they can take their wealthy League`s club with them.😛
That`d be the same 'pokie den` that is keeping all those poor buggers on the lower North Shore impoverished.😛😛
Sydneys full of pokie clubs that dont have an NRl club attached to them. Suckers a plenty in Sydney :)
Besides NS LC could continue to fund jnr programs in the area the same as Mounties and Blacktown and numerous other LC's in NSW and Qlnd do.

Iamback

Coach

Roosters want the Fijians to get a run

Iamback

Coach
Going by the link i put up, it looks like the Roosters may supply Norths with a few players but they are fielding their own Reserves team

“While we have enjoyed a successful partnership with the North Sydney Bears, we have notified them that we will be fielding our own team in the 2023 Knock On Effect NSW Cup competition,” general manager of football programs Craig Walker said.

Old guys go there
Rookies and Fijians from Ron Massey Cup to their own team

Reflector

Juniors
I hate the attitude of let's denigrate the successful parts of our great game, to make another part successful.

Let's elevate all of it to the same level!
Bingo. I've never understood how cutting/ relocating a bunch of clubs in the name of expansion and growing the game as a whole is progressive.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Obviously there are real reasons behind it. I mean The Roosters and The Storm have arguably been the best run sides over the last 12 years, and changing the structures they've had seems a little odd, in the Roosters case, not The Storm.
There could be many speculations, my first thought was maybe Norths joining up with Perth is actually a reality waiting to happen. Just my initial thought, who knows the deeper reasons though.
PVL is giving the Raiders a grant to run a NSW Cup side independently, and he did it intentionally to dissuade them from forming a joint venture with a smaller country club after the Mounties decided not to renew their deal with the Raiders.

He wants every club to have three grades/games on game day because 'that's what the fans want' apparently. The fact that it's not possible to have three games on many game days, and that nobody shows up to games held as openers to the NRL anyway, doesn't seem to matter to him.

No doubt the same has been offered to every NSW/ACT based NRL club, and that is what has influenced the Roosters (and Canterbury) to move towards their own NSW Cup sides. It's probably only a matter of time before Cronulla and Manly abandon the Jets and Workers as well, at which point the Bears, Jets, Mounties, and Workers days in the comp will be numbered, and any hope of expanding the NSW Cup to better represent NSW's population (i.e. actually taking the game back to the bush) will be dead.

PVL is giving the Raiders a grant to run a NSW Cup side independently, and he did it intentionally to dissuade them from forming a joint venture with a smaller country club after the Mounties decided not to renew their deal with the Raiders.

He wants every club to have three grades/games on game day because 'that's what the fans want' apparently. The fact that it's not possible to have three games on many game days, and that nobody shows up to games held as openers to the NRL anyway, doesn't seem to matter to him.

No doubt the same has been offered to every NSW/ACT based NRL club, and that is what has influenced the Roosters (and Canterbury) to move towards their own NSW Cup sides. It's probably only a matter of time before Cronulla and Manly abandon the Jets and Workers as well, at which point the Bears, Jets, Mounties, and Workers days in the comp will be numbered, and any hope of expanding the NSW Cup to better represent NSW's population (i.e. actually taking the game back to the bush) will be dead.
I think Manly may have already broken off the Blacktown path.

MugaB

Coach
Vlandys bad
NRL bad
AFL does x so much better than NRL and we should be ashamed (don't mention racism though)
Pokie den
We need a Perth team
If the Perth team is the Bears I'm giving up on RL forever
Dont forget the classic
*Bless, & the other classic
*Stop derail threads
As if moderation in an "expansion"
thread is a thing
Sylvester.gif
Go bears

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why we need a reserve grade, not a pseudo one. NSW cup looks like it will be that in 2 years time anyways. I also see the NRl are campaigning to have their own club teams in the QRL cup rather than feeder club arrangements. Its just a matter of time by looks of it now the game is willing to give the clubs the cash to pay for it.

The ARLC are reportedly pushing the QRL to add teams from the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans into the Hostplus Cup from next year.
The QRL are reportedly "extremely concerned" by this plan
The Cowboys are believed to be the only Queensland club supporting the new hybrid league. The Broncos have no complaints with the current arrangements (with our affiliate model with feeder clubs Norths, Souths Logan and Wynnum Manly)
the Hostplus clubs have a salary cap of $400k, with their top players earning around $30k. so there are fears among the existing clubs that their talent pools could be stripped bare by players leaving to join the NRL aligned teams.

Queensland Rugby League chairman Bruce Hatcher says:
“I think it’s very ordinary,’’ Hatcher said. “We are happy with what we have got and the way it is going.
“I don’t think any of the commissioners have been to the country and seen the glue that really holds our competition together.
“I have rung half of the commissioners to tell them about our opposition to this sort of stuff and I plan to ring the other half.
“When you start going down a path like this you don’t understand tribalism and what it means in rugby league.
“I know what this is about – creating a national brand run out of Sydney – but we have built a geographical competition which runs from Cairns to Tweed Heads and includes Papua New Guinea and we will have a Toowoomba team next year. We are also looking at getting Pacific Islands involved.
“I know what they want. There is a view that everything has to be badged NRL but Queensland and NSW have looked after their competitions for 100-odd years.
“I sense they want the power to control our competition but the greater good of the game is more important.’’
“We try and keep talent in the regions,’’ Hatcher said.
“Our participation numbers are up five per cent. We won the State of Origin with a team that included a large number of players who were country raised.’’

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Why we need a reserve grade, not a pseudo one. NSW cup looks like it will be that in 2 years time anyways. I also see the NRl are campaigning to have their own club teams in the QRL cup rather than feeder club arrangements. Its just a matter of time by looks of it now the game is willing to give the clubs the cash to pay for it.

The ARLC are reportedly pushing the QRL to add teams from the Broncos, Cowboys and Titans into the Hostplus Cup from next year.
The QRL are reportedly "extremely concerned" by this plan
The Cowboys are believed to be the only Queensland club supporting the new hybrid league. The Broncos have no complaints with the current arrangements (with our affiliate model with feeder clubs Norths, Souths Logan and Wynnum Manly)
the Hostplus clubs have a salary cap of $400k, with their top players earning around $30k. so there are fears among the existing clubs that their talent pools could be stripped bare by players leaving to join the NRL aligned teams.

Queensland Rugby League chairman Bruce Hatcher says:
“I think it’s very ordinary,’’ Hatcher said. “We are happy with what we have got and the way it is going.
“I don’t think any of the commissioners have been to the country and seen the glue that really holds our competition together.
“I have rung half of the commissioners to tell them about our opposition to this sort of stuff and I plan to ring the other half.
“When you start going down a path like this you don’t understand tribalism and what it means in rugby league.
“I know what this is about – creating a national brand run out of Sydney – but we have built a geographical competition which runs from Cairns to Tweed Heads and includes Papua New Guinea and we will have a Toowoomba team next year. We are also looking at getting Pacific Islands involved.
“I know what they want. There is a view that everything has to be badged NRL but Queensland and NSW have looked after their competitions for 100-odd years.
“I sense they want the power to control our competition but the greater good of the game is more important.’’
“We try and keep talent in the regions,’’ Hatcher said.
“Our participation numbers are up five per cent. We won the State of Origin with a team that included a large number of players who were country raised.’’

Hopefully QLD resist this change. With this decision they are essentially removing any link between the NRL and rural and regional football. It’s mind numbingly stupid