What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Wb1234

Referee
If this Reserve Grade comp by the NRL does go ahead, as many have implied on here, do you think the Storm, and maybe Perth (if they get in), will be exempt from having a reserves team of their own?
Didn’t it get canned ?

im a fan of a national rg returning

Canard

Immortal
I don't see them leaving these new qld reserve sides in the QRL, all i can see is the Qcup as is without the dolphins, NRL reserve grade, will be nsw cup, with storm, bris, cows, tits, & phins added
Qcup can still filter thru as they do just do it into their feeder clubs but into reserve grade.
Qcup stays as is

Then the QCup dies.

And for what end? So a few people can watch a reserve grade game 45mins before an NRL match.

It's not a well thought out premise.

Canard

Immortal
It'd be interesting to know if the NRL clubs currently provide funding to their feeder clubs and if that gets withdrawn what that means for them? I'm guessing clubs wont want to fund reserve grade AND other feeder clubs?

Do you think they'd have to change name of NSW cup and who runs it? Cant see Queensland clubs being thrilled at being in a comp run by NSWRL! Also do you think the current 4 non NRL NSW cup clubs have to drop out and where would they go?

Your killing the Qcup to create a NSWRL reserve grade solely for the benefit of NRL clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your killing the Qcup to create a NSWRL reserve grade solely for the benefit of NRL clubs.
Or maybe its turning the Qlnd cup into something more interesting and valid whilst solving the NRls reserve grade problem (if there is one)

I'll admit I like the idea of a second division, it gives areas who will never have an NRl team something to follow with more legitimacy. I dont know if reserve grade as it is now is working particularly well or not? Queensland seem to produce plenty of NRL first graders so maybe its a not a problem?
I guess if it is then clubs will jump on the idea, especially if the NRL are going to stump up the cash to pay for it. I think of the 4 Qlnd clubs only Cowboys has said so far they want a separate reserve grade side in QRL cup. In NSW it seems every club is now going that way.

Canard

Immortal
Or maybe its turning the Qlnd cup into something more interesting and valid whilst solving the NRls reserve grade problem (if there is one)

I'll admit I like the idea of a second division, it gives areas who will never have an NRl team something to follow with more legitimacy. I dont know if reserve grade as it is now is working particularly well or not? Queensland seem to produce plenty of NRL first graders so maybe its a not a problem?
I guess if it is then clubs will jump on the idea, especially if the NRL are going to stump up the cash to pay for it. I think of the 4 Qlnd clubs only Cowboys has said so far they want a separate reserve grade side in QRL cup. In NSW it seems every club is now going that way.

This proposal isn't 2nd division, it's NRL reserves + left overs

Relegating every non NRL aligned club to also ran will kill there support from sponsors, deny players access to professional coaching and see any interest to zero.

It's killing the golden goose.

Iamback

Coach
As Great Dane more eloquently put you are in effect limiting the entry point for players into the NRL. That’s the problem.

Look at the current system in QLD Cup. You can also compare to other systems where they don’t have a ‘reserve grade’ if you want (for example the Yankees don’t have a reserve grade side) What these systems offer is the opportunity for players who aren’t contracted to prove themselves against blokes who are contracted or affiliated to major or first grade sides. That means an opportunity for individuals who aren’t stars when they were juniors (not everybody develops at the same rate for example). Look at Royce Hunt as a case in point. He wasn’t contracted to a club until what 25 and only after proving himself for a number of years for the Mounties. In a system that is being suggested - if somebody is not picked up when they’re 19 or 20 it is not like they are going to sway clubs to pick them up when they are playing against other amateurs.

Secondly, look at the maths of it as well. You have 17 under 20 competitions and reserve grade sides - think of the probable churn of players in this scenario. Clubs are in essence going to be forced to make decisions on players by the time they are 20 and then where do these players go? It makes no sense to cut off players by the time they are 20 or 21 when you are wanting to increase the talent pool.

Lastly, how does this help regional football. You are essentially forcing kids to make a decision to move from regional areas to Sydney or Brisbane before they are emotionally and intellectually capable of doing so. People want to go against the draft idea (and I’m not a proponent of it either) because young people are being forced to move to whatever area but at least in a system like that they are getting drafted after they are 18. This to me seems a lot worse and you know clubs will be scouting kids at a younger and younger age (you see this in soccer for example)

Btw that’s also not the choice being offered. It’s not like it’s only a choice between playing for the Knights reserve grade and say Wests Newcastle, South Newcastle or Maitland.

Panthers are a good example because they won everything.

They used 43 players in Flegg
41 in NSW Cup

They called up players from Ron Massey Cup, 2 of those guys are on Train and trial deals, One of them at 31.

Kurt Falls debuted at 26, Didn't play junior rep but got his start through good performances in Ron Massey Cup

There are guys from Ron Massey Cup in the WC, So they are getting spotted later

Burton
Martin
Yeo
Wighton
Latrell

I am sure there are others currently playing the highest honour the game has, All from the bush under this 'flawed' system

As for Kids moving, There are clubs now flying kids interstate or from NZ to play junior rep on Sat.

Those kids would be moving likely anyway, That is the where the big schools are.

Wb1234

Referee
Mate, the reasons he's doing it are moronic and he's going to kill potentially dozens of clubs and undermine the grassroots system to do it.

I honestly don't know how you could describe that as anything other than bad.
I don’t believe it will kill off those clubs it’s just the usual scaremongering

and even if some do go ngl my focus is on the nrl

national reserve grade is good for fans plus it will help bring back the under 20s

The Great Dane

First Grade
This proposal isn't 2nd division, it's NRL reserves + left overs

Relegating every non NRL aligned club to also ran will kill there support from sponsors, deny players access to professional coaching and see any interest to zero.

It's killing the golden goose.
I'm a Bears fan, and all their talk about developing their own players is bluster and they know it.

Even if they had the resources to achieve something like that in an effective manner, which they don't BTW, all their best talent will be poached by the NRL clubs as they go through the system simply because the NRL sides can offer the chance at an NRL contract where the Bears can't. That will leave the Bears with a team of players whom weren't good enough to have a go at an NRL contract, which will be uncompetitive within the competition.

At that point they'll be on borrowed time because they'll have increased costs and an uncompetitive team. Sponsors and supporters will start to jump off as they become perennial cellar dwellers, then they'll be done in the NSW cup and have to drop down to an even more irrelevant comp to remain sustainable.

As I said before, they're not dumb, they know that the above is the only outcome of PVL's proposed system, which is one of the reasons why they're doubling and tripling down on getting the 18th license, because if they don't get it they're headed for the Ron Massey's cup, which will completely f**k the football club.

Wb1234

Referee
I'm a Bears fan, and all their talk about developing their own players is bluster and they know it.

Even if they had the resources to achieve something like that in an effective manner, which they don't BTW, all their best talent will be poached by the NRL clubs as they go through the system simply because the NRL sides can offer the chance at an NRL contract where the Bears can't. That will leave the Bears with a team of players whom weren't good enough to have a go at an NRL contract, which will be uncompetitive within the competition.

At that point they'll be on borrowed time because they'll have increased costs and an uncompetitive team. Sponsors and supporters will start to jump off as they become perennial cellar dwellers, then they'll be done in the NSW cup and have to drop down to an even more irrelevant comp to remain sustainable.

As I said before, they're not dumb, they know that the above is the only outcome of PVL's proposed system, which is one of the reasons why they're doubling and tripling down on getting the 18th license, because if they don't get it they're headed for the Ron Massey's cup, which will completely f**k the football club.
If the bears don’t make it back to the nrl then if they drop down another level it’s not relevant

unless your in the nrl your basically irrelevant

it is what it is

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don’t believe it will kill off those clubs it’s just the usual scaremongering

and even if some do go ngl my focus is on the nrl

national reserve grade is good for fans plus it will help bring back the under 20s
The grassroots feed the NRL, and if the roots aren't healthy then the stem can't grow.

Trying to monopolise the whole sport under the control of the NRL clubs is a recipe for disaster that will see participation numbers, and by extension juniors numbers, among other things, collapse given time.

There's no way to spin it, that's not a good idea.

I also straight up deny that it's 'good for fans'. If any significant number of NRL fans cared about reserve grade then they'd front up to support their club's lower grade teams. They don't support their lower grades, they haven't for decades, and in the hyper competitive age of the internet they simply don't have the time any more.

It'd be interesting to know if the NRL clubs currently provide funding to their feeder clubs and if that gets withdrawn what that means for them? I'm guessing clubs wont want to fund reserve grade AND other feeder clubs?

Do you think they'd have to change name of NSW cup and who runs it? Cant see Queensland clubs being thrilled at being in a comp run by NSWRL! Also do you think the current 4 non NRL NSW cup clubs have to drop out and where would they go?
Just wondering if you've thought about whether or not this could be your mate, Pete, dissolving power of the NSW and QLD rugby league?
Taking the best players out of their respective Cups could see them going the way of the Country Rugby League.
I'm just throwing thoughts in the air

The Great Dane

First Grade
Just wondering if you've thought about whether or not this could be your mate, Pete, dissolving power of the NSW and QLD rugby league?
Taking the best players out of their respective Cups could see them going the way of the Country Rugby League.
That's definitely one of his motivations, and that's not necessarily a bad idea either. However what he is proposing to replace them with is a bad idea.

Wb1234

Referee
The grassroots feed the NRL, and if the roots aren't healthy then the stem can't grow.

Trying to monopolise the whole sport under the control of the NRL clubs is a recipe for disaster that will see participation numbers, and by extension juniors numbers, among other things, collapse given time.

There's no way to spin it, that's not a good idea.

I also straight up deny that it's 'good for fans'. If any significant number of NRL fans cared about reserve grade then they'd front up to support their club's lower grade teams. They don't support their lower grades, they haven't for decades, and in the hyper competitive age of the internet they simply don't have the time any more.
Nrl makes all the money

they should control everything

grassroots are funded by leagues clubs that won’t change

Wb1234

Referee
When the commission was formed the nswrl and qrl were supposed to be disbanded

there were to be massive cost savings by having one body instead of 3

but as usual in rugby league every person bludges off the game when they can

neither body is fit to run chook raffle

Latest posts