What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Iamback

Coach
Hopefully QLD resist this change. With this decision they are essentially removing any link between the NRL and rural and regional football. It’s mind numbingly stupid

You and others are anti national reserve grade comp, So where are NRL clubs suppose to prepare fringe guys for FG?

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the plus side it will mean that perth, melbourne, Adelaide and singapore will have lots of feeder club options in RL heartlands! :)

On the plus side it will mean that perth, melbourne, Adelaide and singapore will have lots of feeder club options in RL heartlands! :)
If this Reserve Grade comp by the NRL does go ahead, as many have implied on here, do you think the Storm, and maybe Perth (if they get in), will be exempt from having a reserves team of their own?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If this Reserve Grade comp by the NRL does go ahead, as many have implied on here, do you think the Storm, and maybe Perth (if they get in), will be exempt from having a reserves team of their own?
I suspect it will either go one of two ways. 1. Its development of a full reserve grade by stealth and eventually there will be no clubs in it other than NRL reserve grade sides and NSW/Qlnd cups will become stand alone comps from NRL clubs. In which case I doubt we'd be exempt.
or 2. Its a bit of an ill thought out half arsed effort based on some romantic notion of NSWRL 3 grades a game day nostalgia and the two comps will remain as are with the additions of NRL reserve grade sides in them. This wouldnt preclude NRL clubs from continuing to have a relationship with other non NRL second tier clubs.

My money is probably on 2. What that means for the comps and how lop sided they would become is anyone's guess. Not hard to see why NRL was keen to get its club men on the NSWRL board now is it?

Iamback

Coach

Spot on. it solves the issue having development holes, Storm atleast are talking SG Ball and Flegg seriously this year. Still have no control over how the Reserve Grade side runs

I suspect it will either go one of two ways. 1. Its development of a full reserve grade by stealth and eventually there will be no clubs in it other than NRL reserve grade sides and NSW/Qlnd cups will become stand alone comps from NRL clubs. In which case I doubt we'd be exempt.
or 2. Its a bit of an ill thought out half arsed effort based on some romantic notion of NSWRL 3 grades a game day nostalgia and the two comps will remain as are with the additions of NRL reserve grade sides in them. This wouldnt preclude NRL clubs from continuing to have a relationship with other non NRL second tier clubs.

My money is probably on 2. What that means for the comps and how lop sided they would become is anyone's guess. Not hard to see why NRL was keen to get its club men on the NSWRL board now is it?
I get both notions, I would add a couple of positives in just to show that maybe there could be other benefits besides the "nostalgic" side.
I can only talk of myself when going to the games at this point. I do actually try and catch the earlier game, at the moment it is generally Jersey Flegg. I do so to see what up and comers are about.
If there is a Full time Reserve Grade comp before the main game I would be there for every game. Its no additional cost to the games or clubs, the games will have to be played anyway, why not use the same facilities?
On game day it would open up more revenue for the home teams with the one thing that they hope sells more than anything. Alcohol.
Also, why not have the Reserves game on TV as well? Could be another way to get more eyeballs on the box. Obviously most games cannot be shown live, but they could be replayed later that night, or during the week. The full set of ground equipment will already be there.

Just throwing ideas. Personally I love Cronulla and Newtown being together, as do a lot of others. See what happens.

Iamback

Coach
I get both notions, I would add a couple of positives in just to show that maybe there could be other benefits besides the "nostalgic" side.
I can only talk of myself when going to the games at this point. I do actually try and catch the earlier game, at the moment it is generally Jersey Flegg. I do so to see what up and comers are about.
If there is a Full time Reserve Grade comp before the main game I would be there for every game. Its no additional cost to the games or clubs, the games will have to be played anyway, why not use the same facilities?
On game day it would open up more revenue for the home teams with the one thing that they hope sells more than anything. Alcohol.
Also, why not have the Reserves game on TV as well? Could be another way to get more eyeballs on the box. Obviously most games cannot be shown live, but they could be replayed later that night, or during the week. The full set of ground equipment will already be there.

Just throwing ideas. Personally I love Cronulla and Newtown being together, as do a lot of others. See what happens.

Throw in sides being able to control the fringe guys. You guys and Newtown seem to work ok but there were times when Weekes and Fulton would be named in NRL extended bench
Only to drop to Flegg on the weekend due to Blacktown wanting to play different guys. How does that help those players or the club?

Throw in sides being able to control the fringe guys. You guys and Newtown seem to work ok but there were times when Weekes and Fulton would be named in NRL extended bench
Only to drop to Flegg on the weekend due to Blacktown wanting to play different guys. How does that help those players or the club?
Yep I get that. Sharks/Jets have a very good relationship, I realise that some others not so.
A real Reserve Grade comp would be extremely beneficial for the players.
I will say this, and even though it is slightly tongue in cheek, it is true...... all the players love getting their heads on TV, and with the crowd.
I remember when the U20's was on the TV and had the live crowd, the youngsters had huge heads about being seen, so much so that when they were advanced into Reserves they felt it was a step back because they weren't being watched.

Iamback

Coach
Yep I get that. Sharks/Jets have a very good relationship, I realise that some others not so.
A real Reserve Grade comp would be extremely beneficial for the players.
I will say this, and even though it is slightly tongue in cheek, it is true...... all the players love getting their heads on TV, and with the crowd.
I remember when the U20's was on the TV and had the live crowd, the youngsters had huge heads about being seen, so much so that when they were advanced into Reserves they felt it was a step back because they weren't being watched.

Even if not on TV, Take a Thursday night.
Would they rather be at the ground in front of a few thousand or training? I am sure the NRL clubs would love to get a look at the fringe guys live. Things like how they prepare can't be shown on video there is a reason clubs are going down this path

Even if not on TV, Take a Thursday night.
Would they rather be at the ground in front of a few thousand or training? I am sure the NRL clubs would love to get a look at the fringe guys live. Things like how they prepare can't be shown on video there is a reason clubs are going down this path
Like I said in an earlier post, replay the games during the week. More content Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
And totally agree with them playing in front of the incoming crowd.

Iamback

Coach
Like I said in an earlier post, replay the games during the week. More content Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
And totally agree with them playing in front of the incoming crowd.

My example was the issue with teams like Mounties as the feeder team.
Those sides train a couple of nights a week sometimes clashing with NRL games. Makes it hard for those fringe guys

But then how will they replay NRL 360 10 times a night?

MugaB

Coach
Spot on. it solves the issue having development holes, Storm atleast are talking SG Ball and Flegg seriously this year. Still have no control over how the Reserve Grade side runs
Which is why brisbane broncoes are a huge mess with their roster building.. they have the bulk of 6-7 QRL clubs to pick the eyes out of, but in doing that are swapping constantly in and out of halves, lack of team cohesion, this is a big risk every season for them without having a regular reserve grade side in the comp... yes NSW cup doesn't change much, and QRL admin are worried about becoming 3rd tier instead of being an equal 2nd teir with nsw cup as it is now, thats the real reason they are upset, but to me really nothing changes other than the clubs that were alone, like bears, mounties and jets are, without a direct pathway... its not to say they can't share one, mounties were with dogs and both had resereve grade teams, mick potter was the mounties coach, and took over as 1st grade dogs coach.. go figure...
Bears could stay with rosters, jets with sharks etc, qrl could do the same, as they do, just with an added bronx, cows & tits team amongst the qrl comp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Which is why brisbane broncoes are a huge mess with their roster building.. they have the bulk of 6-7 QRL clubs to pick the eyes out of, but in doing that are swapping constantly in and out of halves, lack of team cohesion, this is a big risk every season for them without have a regular reserve grade side in the comp... yes NSW cup doesn't change much, and QRL admin are worried about becoming 3rd tier instead of equal 2nd teir with nsw cup, thats the reason they are upset, coz really nothing changes other than the clubs that were alone, like bears, mounties and jets are, without a direct pathway... its not to say they can't share one, mounties were with dogs and both had resereve grade teams, mick potter was the mounties coach, and took over as 1st grade dogs coach.. go figure...
Bears could stay with rosters, jets with sharks etc, qrl could do the same, as they do, just with an added bronx, cows & tits team amongst the qrl comp
Problem is are clubs going to bother having their reserve grade players go to those clubs or will it just be the very fringe players? Not sure how many reserve grade players are farmed out at minute to different partner clubs?

Could be a step to a proper second division if the existing non NRL clubs see it being a fruitless exercise being in NSW or Qlnd cup anymore. 17 reserve grade teams in its own NRL reserves comp and combine NSW and QRL cup left overs into the NRL premiership comp :)

In many ways for a new NRL club having systems and access to U16's and U18's is probably more important than a second reserve grade side in that state maybe if they have their own reserve grade side anyways?

MugaB

Coach
Problem is are clubs going to bother having their reserve grade players go to those clubs or will it just be the very fringe players? Not sure how many reserve grade players are farmed out at minute to different partner clubs?

Could be a step to a proper second division if the existing non NRL clubs see it being a fruitless exercise being in NSW or Qlnd cup anymore. 17 reserve grade teams in its own NRL reserves comp and combine NSW and QRL cup left overs into the NRL premiership comp :)

In many ways for a new NRL club having systems and access to U16's and U18's is probably more important than a second reserve grade side in that state maybe if they have their own reserve grade side anyways?
I don't see the rest of the teams getting pooled into their own comp, QRL would be big enough not to bother with any of that, theyll only lose Redcliffe from their comp, its only really NSW cup thats affected, with Newtown, Norths, Blacktown and Mounties, needing to go somewhere

Iamback

Coach
Which is why brisbane broncoes are a huge mess with their roster building.. they have the bulk of 6-7 QRL clubs to pick the eyes out of, but in doing that are swapping constantly in and out of halves, lack of team cohesion, this is a big risk every season for them without having a regular reserve grade side in the comp... yes NSW cup doesn't change much, and QRL admin are worried about becoming 3rd tier instead of being an equal 2nd teir with nsw cup as it is now, thats the real reason they are upset, but to me really nothing changes other than the clubs that were alone, like bears, mounties and jets are, without a direct pathway... its not to say they can't share one, mounties were with dogs and both had resereve grade teams, mick potter was the mounties coach, and took over as 1st grade dogs coach.. go figure...

I asked this question earlier.

Say Adam Reynolds goes down? Which of the 3 Feeder teams halves do you choose? How do you know who suits that style?

This will give the Dolphins a huge advantage to get the young guys up to standard quicker, Provided they are smart and do opposed training sessions as the NSW teams do

Iamback

Coach
I don't see the rest of the teams getting pooled into their own comp, QRL would be big enough not to bother with any of that, theyll only lose Redcliffe from their comp, its only really NSW cup thats affected, with Newtown, Norths, Blacktown and Mounties, needing to go somewhere

They will just be part of an expanded Ron Massey Cup, With recruit more players who will hope to get picked up by an NRL team. Expanding the potential player pool

MugaB

Coach
They will just be part of an expanded Ron Massey Cup, With recruit more players who will hope to get picked up by an NRL team. Expanding the potential player pool
Well if the NRL teams HAVE to look after a full squad reserve grade as a part of their licencing agreement, plus recieving the grant to manage that, we are going to see some clubs struggle, and the ones who already do that like panthers, souffs and dogs flourish moreso..
Keep an eye on rosters, manly, and eels these next few years, they'll be S.T.ruggling

Perth Red

Post Whore
I asked this question earlier.

Say Adam Reynolds goes down? Which of the 3 Feeder teams halves do you choose? How do you know who suits that style?

This will give the Dolphins a huge advantage to get the young guys up to standard quicker, Provided they are smart and do opposed training sessions as the NSW teams do
The one thats contracted. NRl clubs only have 36 contracted players so not every Broncos feeder club has an entire team that's contracted to the NRl club. Its likely they have one back up half out there plus a young half learning.

MugaB

Coach
The one thats contracted. NRl clubs only have 36 contracted players so not every Broncos feeder club has an entire team that's contracted to the NRl club. Its likely they have one back up half out there plus a young half learning.
Well this means its going to go from 36 contracted to atleast 50 something if the have to run their own reserve graders

Latest posts