What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

ash the bash

Juniors
WA has more RL clubs than Canterbury region, just saying.

Potentially yes, big fan of Perth being in the game one day mind you. However the ceiling could be a lot higher in Canterbury with right structures and a first grade team around. Rugby being the main gig in Canterbury would need a small percent of them to switch over to league.

Vee

First Grade
Ahh, but maybe V'Landys is foxing here?

Traditionalists have been wanting to bring back the Bears, expansionists have been all about Perth... and AFL probably were expecting some movement into WA too.. so he swerves into Brisbane 2 & NZ 2, gearing up the production line of playing and coaching talent in two *under-represented* "heartland" locations, trying to ramp-up the depth before we go elsewhere?
Well, we'd all certainly like to think the NRL is that smart...be a nice change.

Dogs Of War

Coach
An eye watering article in today’s courier mail about the Titans owner having to put $35mill of his own money in to them to keep them afloat. Bit of a wake up call for any new club about what sort of money is needed. I can’t see Christchurch having the fan base or corporate support to generate the sort of revenue a modern nrl club needs to be successful. Small population where Union is king and Australian fta had no interest or value in it. Only advantage I can see it has over options is the new stadium looks like it will be great.

That's a bit of a furby though. Most of that was getting land and the like for a new training ground and club. He is going to get a return on that. His biggest lottery was trying to ensure the club could be successful in the short term to starve off relocation talks.

flippikat

Bench
Cons (of NZ2)
- Business case.
- Where to base the team? personally think the best option is Christchurch at the brand new stadium of 25k.
- TV rights ? What value would SKY NZ place on a second NZ team. It won't have that much traction as far as OZ media values go. Who knows by 2025 and growth of streaming etc.. could have some new players in the market.

I think there may be an appetite from Spark Sport once the current Sky contract is up for renewal.

Any change in Pay-TV rights holder here would necessarily mean a change in FTA rights too, given that Prime (the NZ FTA network that currently screens NRL) is owned by Sky.

Recently Spark Sport cut a deal to simulcast selected international cricket matches on TVNZ One, so I suspect if they get the NRL rights there may be a FTA component on TVNZ (either One, Two or Duke).

That could be great for the profile of the game, because the current coverage on Prime is pretty dire.

For example, this weekend we have 2 games on Prime:

Friday night's Manly v St George-Illawarra game (live kickoff 8pm Friday night) will be on Prime at 2pm Saturday afternoon - 18 hours later.

Saturday's Warriors v Raiders game (live kickoff on Sky at 5pm Saturday) will be on Prime at 12:30 AM Sunday morning - "only" 7.5 hours later, but in an atrocious graveyard timeslot.

This is what FTA sport looks like in a completely deregulated broadcasting market. No anti-syphoning rules, no ownership restrictions, just simply the goodwill of rights-holders to rely on.

If a new deal also means better FTA coverage, the game's profile will really take off over here.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This!!!!

Brisbane was a powerhouse yet we all agree brisbane needs a 2nd team, now they are officially wodden spooners.
Warriors could very well have the same issue as bronx do, not everyone likes them, so if im the nrl, give them another team they might like in a another point if difference.
I really dont see Christchurch getting a team unless the bulldogs relocate there BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Or simply anyone relocates there, manly do take the odd game there over the years.
But i do see another Auckland based team, similar to the souths/easts rivalry we have in sydney, its would be more like Parra/Penrith tho, as they'd all be happy and hugging at the end no matter who won. again if you want more sponsors/juniors, better catchment area, Auckland with its 1.7 million people, is the best place to focus on to get NZ as a whole of 4.5 million, focused on RL

Canterbury Bulldogs works perfectly ;)

I think there may be an appetite from Spark Sport once the current Sky contract is up for renewal.

Any change in Pay-TV rights holder here would necessarily mean a change in FTA rights too, given that Prime (the NZ FTA network that currently screens NRL) is owned by Sky.

Recently Spark Sport cut a deal to simulcast selected international cricket matches on TVNZ One, so I suspect if they get the NRL rights there may be a FTA component on TVNZ (either One, Two or Duke).

That could be great for the profile of the game, because the current coverage on Prime is pretty dire.

For example, this weekend we have 2 games on Prime:

Friday night's Manly v St George-Illawarra game (live kickoff 8pm Friday night) will be on Prime at 2pm Saturday afternoon - 18 hours later.

Saturday's Warriors v Raiders game (live kickoff on Sky at 5pm Saturday) will be on Prime at 12:30 AM Sunday morning - "only" 7.5 hours later, but in an atrocious graveyard timeslot.

This is what FTA sport looks like in a completely deregulated broadcasting market. No anti-syphoning rules, no ownership restrictions, just simply the goodwill of rights-holders to rely on.

If a new deal also means better FTA coverage, the game's profile will really take off over here.

Have you ever utilised the "Watch NRL" site?

If so, how does it come across?

As I understand it, in theory it should give access to all NRL games to international audiences. But at a cost (akin to Kayo etc).

However as it's a website, I'm unsure it has the same "appeal" as a paytv subscription to just switch on games. In other words (and what I'm trying to say) is that people are used to Sport on Pay TV, and just switch on the TV to go... Just not sure a website is something people would proactively use as much.

I don't know the cost either, but I did see a quote from Denan Kemp on Chasing Roos saying effectively "they should make it free as the money they make isn't worth the cost of people not watching it".

flippikat

Bench

Geoblocked.

Watch NRL is only available outside Australia, NZ & the Pacific Islands. So basically not a (legal) option.

If the NRL are serious about developing the NZ market, they need to work on their FTA presence. Unlocking "Watch NRL" to us risks undermining their pay-TV revenue. They'd need to do some serious cost/benefit analysis on that (including setting the right price point).

It might be the option in the long-run to go "direct to consumer" over here for a streaming pass, but not just yet.

Geoblocked.

Watch NRL is only available outside Australia, NZ & the Pacific Islands. So basically not a (legal) option.

If the NRL are serious about developing the NZ market, they need to work on their FTA presence. Unlocking "Watch NRL" to us risks undermining their pay-TV revenue. They'd need to do some serious cost/benefit analysis on that (including setting the right price point).

It might be the option in the long-run to go "direct to consumer" over here for a streaming pass, but not just yet.

Ah gotchya, cheers.

Sounds like some parallels with the broadcast of Cricket in Australia in the 80's. Where any match in a particular city was "blacked out" from TV in that city (aside from maybe a session/hour etc) - supposedly to encourage people to go to the game instead. Bums on seats was preferred to advertising revenue..

You're right - attracting new people to the sport is NOT going to be through getting them to fork out money on a paytv subscription they otherwise wouldn't need or want. You need them watching on TV and getting them interested before expecting them to fork out money to get a subcription and/or ticket at the gate / membership etc.

flippikat

Bench
Ah gotchya, cheers.

Sounds like some parallels with the broadcast of Cricket in Australia in the 80's. Where any match in a particular city was "blacked out" from TV in that city (aside from maybe a session/hour etc) - supposedly to encourage people to go to the game instead. Bums on seats was preferred to advertising revenue..

You're right - attracting new people to the sport is NOT going to be through getting them to fork out money on a paytv subscription they otherwise wouldn't need or want. You need them watching on TV and getting them interested before expecting them to fork out money to get a subcription and/or ticket at the gate / membership etc.

IMO all the NRL needs to do is two games live on FTA per weekend - any regular timeslot (doesn't HAVE to be the same timeslot as Aussie FTA), and so long as the games are spread evenly between teams, you get something for every club's fans.

With there soon to be 18 teams, and 9 games per weekend, that's definitely do-able.

ash the bash

Juniors

As I understand it, in theory it should give access to all NRL games to international audiences. But at a cost (akin to Kayo etc).

However as it's a website, I'm unsure it has the same "appeal" as a paytv subscription to just switch on games. In other words (and what I'm trying to say) is that people are used to Sport on Pay TV, and just switch on the TV to go... Just not sure a website is something people would proactively use as much.

I don't know the cost either, but I did see a quote from Denan Kemp on Chasing Roos saying effectively "they should make it free as the money they make isn't worth the cost of people not watching it".

I use WatchNrl here in the Maldives, its great gives you the option of watching normal Fox league channel too. Get a fair bit of stuff, watched a bit of Junior Kiwi league games (NZRL under 20's) with a little of the Hunters game against WM Seagulls last weekend. I use the App on phone, then website on laptop and TV, works great I reckon. Also can watch any replays of Fox league shows on demand if I want to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've often wondered if they offered NRL free to a British and French FTA Tv channel if it would get picked up and shown at a decent time on replay? It would increase interest in RL in those countries and potentially open up new sponsors and members to NRL clubs? For the small amount they get from Sky TV in UK the longer term benefits of being being seen by millions on FTA might be worth a lot more?

I use WatchNrl here in the Maldives, its great gives you the option of watching normal Fox league channel too. Get a fair bit of stuff, watched a bit of Junior Kiwi league games (NZRL under 20's) with a little of the Hunters game against WM Seagulls last weekend. I use the App on phone, then website on laptop and TV, works great I reckon. Also can watch any replays of Fox league shows on demand if I want to.

Cheers Ash.

The Maldives!!!

Tough life mate..... trying to watch the footy with that pesky sand blowing everywhere..

images

IMO all the NRL needs to do is two games live on FTA per weekend - any regular timeslot (doesn't HAVE to be the same timeslot as Aussie FTA), and so long as the games are spread evenly between teams, you get something for every club's fans.

With there soon to be 18 teams, and 9 games per weekend, that's definitely do-able.

Great, yep.

Side note - I saw a social post the other day about Andrew Abdo mentioning that an 18th team is a future focus of the NRL. I haven't seen anything in here about it (if so, I've missed it). Can anyone confirm ??

Santino Patane

Juniors

Attachments

• 058AA6F8-2619-4F73-95CE-895CE100708C.jpeg
    058AA6F8-2619-4F73-95CE-895CE100708C.jpeg
    592.8 KB · Views: 7

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've often wondered if they offered NRL free to a British and French FTA Tv channel if it would get picked up and shown at a decent time on replay? It would increase interest in RL in those countries and potentially open up new sponsors and members to NRL clubs? For the small amount they get from Sky TV in UK the longer term benefits of being being seen by millions on FTA might be worth a lot more?
Other sports leagues have tried to do similar things overseas, and generally speaking, what normally happens is none of TV channels (aside from community TV and NFP, that nobody watches anyway) give them the light of day.

Paying a broadcaster to air your content or going into a profit-sharing arrangement with them, that happens more often, but it's normally a pretty good sign of a comp that is dead or dying.

Ah gotchya, cheers.

Yeh used to show the last session of the cricket at one stage when played in that state - in the old days they used to show the second half of the Saturday Sydney Comp game on the ABC - not sure why the second half - Sunday games were delayed telecast and 1 hr on Channel 7. Not long ago the Channel 9 Sunday game was a delayed telecast starting at 4pm (the game itself started at 3 pm).

Now all the game times/days are to suit channel 9 and pay TV

I think the thing that brings the Tigers to the fore in these kinda conversations is their disjointed (Geographically) fanbase/home ground situation and their continued under-performance in recent years, plus the congested nature of Sydney's inner-west - where Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers & nowdays Souths all have a part of the action.

Hehehe.. that gave me a chuckle. But yeah, the NRL have been lousy in the past at recognizing the sacrifices made by clubs that make pro-active moves, and nurturing those clubs.

If the NRL had the bollocks they would merge teams when the licences come up for renewal

For starters
Parramatta and Penrith - Western Sydney
St George Illawarra and Cronulla- Southern Sydney-Illawarra

Rename Wests Tigers - Macarthur Wests Tigers and based at Campbelltown

That would be 14 teams with an ability to include 4 new teams for an 18 team comp - candidates being the 3 QLD bids/ Perth/ Central Coast and 2nd NZ team

Talk of pools/conferences have me worried.

if an 18 team comp be 9 Sydney teams and 9 Non Sydney teams pools

Play each team in your pool twice and the other pool once - 25 games.

Finals series

Have either a top 5 in each pool with the two pool winners playing off - NFL Superbowl like

Or top 4 teams from each pool in a cross over pool 4 week finals series- like we have now

1's vs 2's (qualifying finals)- 2 winners through to week 3 - two losers play the winners of 3's vs 4"s in week 2
3's v 4 's (elimination finals) - losers out - winners play losers of 1's vs 2"s in week 2

and so on

Latest posts