What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

ash the bash

Juniors
With Politis formally supporting the CC Bears bid during their original hookup as a feeder club

I am betting a Brisbane 2 & CC expansion approach will be the way forward

I think the CC Bears is dead admittedly from the Bears side. When did Politis formally support the CC Bears bid ? Think the Roosters are more keen on taking over the CC themselves.

Think the Bears are trying to position themselves as an expansion brand, thus the attempt at GC Bears. Maybe in future with Perth as the Western Bears.

MugaB

Coach
I think the CC Bears is dead admittedly from the Bears side. When did Politis formally support the CC Bears bid ? Think the Roosters are more keen on taking over the CC themselves.

Think the Bears are trying to position themselves as an expansion brand, thus the attempt at GC Bears. Maybe in future with Perth as the Western Bears.
I reckon Perth is the only way to go, its a pretty good marriage actually, coz they both have something the other needs, and share red and black, just add a gold trim, and instant Perth return and heritage of Bears

With Politis formally supporting the CC Bears bid during their original hookup as a feeder club

I am betting a Brisbane 2 & CC expansion approach will be the way forward
Gosford doesn't deserve to have a spot ahead of Perth, NZ 2, Brisbane 3 or Adelaide.

a second Melbourne team :D

I cannot see that happening. The Storm are reliant on NSW, NZ, PNG, QLD and Fiji for players. Melbourne 2 would rip another 30 out of the system without giving people from those regions an incentive to play the game. A Peeth team, NZ 2 and Bris 3 will encourage more people from those areas to take up the game.

I reckon Perth is the only way to go, its a pretty good marriage actually, coz they both have something the other needs, and share red and black, just add a gold trim, and instant Perth return and heritage of Bears
I'd prefer the Pirates over the Bears.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sydney has 9. Brisbane has 1.
That doesn't mean that Redcliffe deserves a club, and it misses the point.

The point was that the same attitudes that are seeing Redcliffe being pushed to the moon could see the Bears snag a license.

So if Redcliffe can get up despite there being at least four better options, why not the Bears in Gosford as well.

flippikat

Bench

The point was that the same attitudes that are seeing Redcliffe being pushed to the moon could see the Bears snag a license.

So if Redcliffe can get up despite there being at least four better options, why not the Bears in Gosford as well.

Yeah, Central Coast with a team of it's own despite the Illawarra district being deemed unable of having an NRL team of IT'S own 20 years ago.

Vee

First Grade

Four? Name them.

Dolphins have the best bid. They're rich, steeped in history and represent a large and growing region that has zero professional sports clubs.

Easts are competing against Donkeys and the Brisbane Bears fumbleball club. They aren't as rich as the Dolphins. They have a good bid, but they're 10 years behind the Dolphins.

Jets are probably 20 years behind with regard to infrastructure.

Pirates should have been introduced 15 years ago.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Four? Name them.
Brisbane (i.e. a team that is actually capable of representing a significant portion of the metro area, and not just a few thousand people in one suburb), Perth, Adelaide, and NZ.

You could make an argument for Melbourne as well.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Dolphins have the best bid. They're rich, steeped in history and represent a large and growing region that has zero professional sports clubs.
Only idiots with zero understanding of evolutionary psychology and tribal politics could ever think that.

I mean it's not f**king hard to predict what will happen if we ask people whom have hated a club (a proxy for another tribe) for generations to support that club out of nowhere; the vast majority are going to refuse just like they have in every other similar case anybody can think of.

Now there are ways you can mitigate that problem, but the Dolphins aren't taking any of the steps necessary to do that, and until they do that should, if the NRL were a well run business, rule them out for the license because they will turn away tens of thousands of potential customers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Guys It would be nice if we could keep posts relative to particular topics to those threads lol. Redcliffe discussion in redcliffe thread, bears in bears thread, 18th team options in this thread etc etc.

we have no active moderators cleaning threads up in this section so maybe we could try and keep to topic areas ourselves? Just an idea so every thread isn’t having the same conversations lol

Vee

First Grade
Brisbane (i.e. a team that is actually capable of representing a significant portion of the metro area, and not just a few thousand people in one suburb), Perth, Adelaide, and NZ.

You could make an argument for Melbourne as well.
For which we have one bid, in a rusted-on AwFuL state.

So, not four, one.

Only idiots with zero understanding of evolutionary psychology and tribal politics could ever think that.

I mean it's not f**king hard to predict what will happen if we ask people whom have hated a club (a proxy for another tribe) for generations to support that club out of nowhere; the vast majority are going to refuse just like they have in every other similar case anybody can think of.

Now there are ways you can mitigate that problem, but the Dolphins aren't taking any of the steps necessary to do that, and until they do that should, if the NRL were a well run business, rule them out for the license because they will turn away tens of thousands of potential customers.
Redcliffe are going to adopt a broad name to cover the region and play out of Lang Park, so you couldn't be any further from the truth. You're always going on about how no one under 35 cares about the BRL, yet now you're saying there's lots of hate for the Dolphins. Make up your mind, FFS!

The only Brisbane bid that was universally hated was the neutral Brisbane Bombers consortium that wanted to be a citywide team.

Guys It would be nice if we could keep posts relative to particular topics to those threads lol. Redcliffe discussion in redcliffe thread, bears in bears thread, 18th team options in this thread etc etc.

we have no active moderators cleaning threads up in this section so maybe we could try and keep to topic areas ourselves? Just an idea so every thread isn’t having the same conversations lol
I've forgotten what this thread is about. Something to do with NZ2?

Maybe the 2nd team can be the South Island Orcas, playing their games across 3 cities. Warriors could rebrand as North Island Warriors, playing 6 games out of Auckland, 3 out of Wellington and another 3 some where else. Now that would help the game grow its footprint in NZ.

ReddFelon

Juniors
So both the Warriors ownership and NZRL both think Abdo is mental thinking of NZ2. Can understand why, in a country that breathes Rugby the five professional NZ teams all still rely on the All Blacks to subsidise their bottom line. There really is no money in NZRL to support a second team.

It should be Brisbane 2, followed by Perth. Adelaide and NZ 2 long into the future when financials are better suited. The other goal needs to be setting up a pathway for WA and Victorian juniors into the NSW reserve grade system.

Obviously non-heartland expansion bids will need to affiliate with Reserve grade clubs, but over time Melbourne should have the Falcons and Storm reserves playing NSW Cup. Same deal for the Pirates they need a Pirates NSW side and probably a team like the Capras or Souths-Logan as their established affiliate.

One only needs to look at the Warriors affiliating with Redcliffe to see how dire NZRL is. Even if the Dolphins win the bid, Warriors will continue affiliating with an Australian side because they simply can't afford to run their own reserves.

The Great Dane

First Grade
For which we have one bid, in a rusted-on AwFuL state.

So, not four, one.
Firstly it's two, there're reasonable bids in Brisbane.

Secondly, bids aren't the be all and end all.

If the NRL wanted teams in Adelaide or NZ they could make it happen overnight.

Latest posts