What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Same could be said for the Qcup growing out of the BRL, i mean why isn't there 2 or 3 PNG teams by now, and brisbane has 6 teams there, thts too much.... its dug into your brain this stupid idea that there are limitations, and that sydney clubs hold back the whole competition.... they ARE the Competition, and the interstate teams had been invited into it, same as AFL, so please fück up, and go to the AFL thread and spill you Büllshit there, no one team is relocating, unless they choose to, and AFL has 3 cat themed teams, who cares... no wonder the NRL don't want a Logan based team, there all morons
I get why you are reacting the way you are, but sorry champ, Sydney is not the comp- it’s the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE. Without the other teams, it would be nowhere near as strong or as popular as it is. To highlight this, Sydney teams have won 12 NRL Premierships, non Sydney has won 11. What would the comp be without the great runs of Canberra, Brisbane, Newcastle and Melbourne over the last 30 years? If anything, these teams define the best of League more than anyone else.

Your little reaction to a view that you disagree with just reinforces the negative perception of Sydneysiders in general. Calling all of Logan morons is just like saying all Westies (especially Penrith) are Commodore driving, wife beating, toothless bogans that can’t spell correctly even with auto-correct. So please chill out mate.

For what it’s worth, I do agree that the game needs Sydney to be strong and it is a (not “the”) core of rugby league. I’ve even been convinced that no teams should be forcibly relocated or merged. The comp as it is today is the one we have to work with. Preserving is just as important as expanding- the two go hand in hand to keep our game viable into the future.

MugaB

Coach
their target audience is anyone in brisbane who doesn't follow the broncos or another club

how many times do you need to be told , they'll be the Brisbane Dolphins
not Redcliffe
We are probably on his ignore list, coz he keeps bringing up the same shít, its not getting thru... just like Grotd wishful random relocations musical chairs, and justification of them to prove that NRL is an interstate competition...
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I get why you are reacting the way you are, but sorry champ, Sydney is not the comp- it’s the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE. Without the other teams, it would be nowhere near as strong or as popular as it is. To highlight this, Sydney teams have won 12 NRL Premierships, non Sydney has won 11. What would the comp be without the great runs of Canberra, Brisbane, Newcastle and Melbourne over the last 30 years? If anything, these teams define the best of League more than anyone else.

Your little reaction to a view that you disagree with just reinforces the negative perception of Sydneysiders in general. Calling all of Logan morons is just like saying all Westies (especially Penrith) are Commodore driving, wife beating, toothless bogans that can’t spell correctly even with auto-correct. So please chill out mate.

For what it’s worth, I do agree that the game needs Sydney to be strong and it is a (not “the”) core of rugby league. I’ve even been convinced that no teams should be forcibly relocated or merged. The comp as it is today is the one we have to work with. Preserving is just as important as expanding- the two go hand in hand to keep our game viable into the future.
I have @MugaB on ignore, so I had to click on the "Show Ignored Content" link to see who you were responding to. He calls people from Logan morons, yet he doesn't know the difference between "there", "they're" and "their". The other day I saw him get "your" mixed up with "you're".

I don't know what his point about the Q-Cup is. Around half of Queensland's population lives in SEQ, so it makes sense to have 6 teams in the Greater Brisbane area. Less than half of the teams are based in Brisbane. Compare that to the NRL where over half of the teams are from Sydney, but only 20% of Australians live there. AwFuL does have 3 teams using cat themes, but they're not all in the one city. One is in Melbourne, one in Geelong and one in Brisbane.

I agree that Sydney needs to be strong. It's Australia's largest and most prestigious city. I think the NRL should at least try to turn a few Sydney clubs into powerhouses like the Broncos and Storm. They could do that with the clubs that have history dating back to 1908. North Sydney Sea Eagles (Norths and Manly), Western Sydney Tigers (Balmain and Wests), South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney Roosters. Traditional hooped jerseys to symbolise their history. Keep those jerseys so they become synonymous with the clubs. People like familiarity, so if they wear those jerseys non-stop for 20 years then they'll become iconic, much like South Sydney's jersey is at present. Rabbitohs are the biggest and most well-known club in Sydney and they always wear the same jersey. I think we need teams in Adelaide and Perth, and since the NRL hasn't given us any indication that they're going to expand beyond 18 teams, that will require a couple of Sydney's weaker clubs to relocate. It could happen in 10 or 20 years time as the money from broadcast revenue just won't be there, as it's a dying medium and it's what has allowed our game to keep so many teams in Sydney while maintaining a salary cap strong enough to thwart off a mass exodus of players to French RU.

MugaB

Coach

Im an avert advocate of both preservation and expansion, one cannot exist without the other,
And all westies are Commodore driving wife toothless beaters, but the concept of relentless relocation talk, especially from the jealous few who want more teams elsewhere, forget where THIS comp started, and refuse to accept that the comp is nsw centric because of that, all they want is the decimation of what clubs started the comp, instead of expanding upon it, it takes decades to get an expansion club successful

Santino Patane

Juniors
Im an avert advocate of both preservation and expansion, one cannot exist without the other,
And all westies are Commodore driving wife toothless beaters, but the concept of relentless relocation talk, especially from the jealous few who want more teams elsewhere, forget where THIS comp started, and refuse to accept that the comp is nsw centric because of that, all they want is the decimation of what clubs started the comp, instead of expanding upon it, it takes decades to get an expansion club successful
Well take solace in the fact that there’s zero desire in NRL HQ to change the landscape in Sydney. All else is mental gymnastics.

The NRL being NSW centric is a reality but it’s a flaw in our game and not a feature. But again, it’s the situation we have and to fix this would cause more harm than help.

Santino Patane

Juniors
I have @MugaB on ignore, so I had to click on the "Show Ignored Content" link to see who you were responding to. He calls people from Logan morons, yet he doesn't know the difference between "there", "they're" and "their". The other day I saw him get "your" mixed up with "you're".

I don't know what his point about the Q-Cup is. Around half of Queensland's population lives in SEQ, so it makes sense to have 6 teams in the Greater Brisbane area. Less than half of the teams are based in Brisbane. Compare that to the NRL where over half of the teams are from Sydney, but only 20% of Australians live there. AwFuL does have 3 teams using cat themes, but they're not all in the one city. One is in Melbourne, one in Geelong and one in Brisbane.

I agree that Sydney needs to be strong. It's Australia's largest and most prestigious city. I think the NRL should at least try to turn a few Sydney clubs into powerhouses like the Broncos and Storm. They could do that with the clubs that have history dating back to 1908. North Sydney Sea Eagles (Norths and Manly), Western Sydney Tigers (Balmain and Wests), South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney Roosters. Traditional hooped jerseys to symbolise their history. Keep those jerseys so they become synonymous with the clubs. People like familiarity, so if they wear those jerseys non-stop for 20 years then they'll become iconic, much like South Sydney's jersey is at present. Rabbitohs are the biggest and most well-known club in Sydney and they always wear the same jersey. I think we need teams in Adelaide and Perth, and since the NRL hasn't given us any indication that they're going to expand beyond 18 teams, that will require a couple of Sydney's weaker clubs to relocate. It could happen in 10 or 20 years time as the money from broadcast revenue just won't be there, as it's a dying medium and it's what has allowed our game to keep so many teams in Sydney while maintaining a salary cap strong enough to thwart off a mass exodus of players to French RU.
Honestly, I’m on your side of the argument and agree with a lot of your points in principle, I just have now given up any thoughts of rationalising Sydney (and think one more Brissie team is enough). The NRL will do everything to maintain the status quo there, and unfortunately most Sydneysiders won’t accept fixing up their end of town. I honestly believe now they would rather abandon the game than their antiquated suburban team.

IMO we missed the opportunity in creating the NRL back in ‘97/‘98 to fix all of this. That was the moment they could have made some big hard calls on club viability and actually planned in full how the game should/will look. Now 23 years later all the wounds of SL are healed in some sense and any significant forces change will decimate engagement and participation. The creation of the NRL should have been the moment we put a line through old state based mentalities and work to be “National”. Unfortunately it was only branding in name only.

Honestly, I’m on your side of the argument and agree with a lot of your points in principle, I just have now given up any thoughts of rationalising Sydney (and think one more Brissie team is enough). The NRL will do everything to maintain the status quo there, and unfortunately most Sydneysiders won’t accept fixing up their end of town. I honestly believe now they would rather abandon the game than their antiquated suburban team.

IMO we missed the opportunity in creating the NRL back in ‘97/‘98 to fix all of this. That was the moment they could have made some big hard calls on club viability and actually planned in full how the game should/will look. Now 23 years later all the wounds of SL are healed in some sense and any significant forces change will decimate engagement and participation. The creation of the NRL should have been the moment we put a line through old state based mentalities and work to be “National”. Unfortunately it was only branding in name only.
You're right. I think @Perth Red is correct that the game will fall further behind AwFuL if the status quo remains, which it most definitely will with everything being based in Sydney. The only glimmer of hope I have is for the Queensland Cup to start adding teams from Adelaide, Perth, Darwin, plus New Caledonia and 1 or 2 from NZ and PNG 2. Money is the issue though, so it'll never happen. If it did it could theoretically become big enough in its own right to pressure the NRL into becoming truly national.

The Great Dane

First Grade
their target audience is anyone in brisbane who doesn't follow the broncos or another club

how many times do you need to be told , they'll be the Brisbane Dolphins
not Redcliffe
The cognitive dissonance you need to hold that position as a fan of a Sydney club is truly astounding.

As a Panthers fan you wouldn't be caught dead in (e.g.) an Eels jersey no matter what they changed their name to to try and appeal to you, so why would you expect any different from any of the fans in Brisbane that aren't Dolphins fans?

The truth is that you wouldn't expect any different from them if you were intellectually honest.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Just curious as to how your in-depth knowledge of Australia Rules history came about.
Though it's not really true, people often say that Canberra was an Aussie Rules town before the Raiders. That is way too simplistic, but it is true that Canberra has a much deeper history with Aussie Rules than most people realise.

BTW, I would never claim to have in-depth knowledge of Aussie Rules history.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
We are probably on his ignore list, coz he keeps bringing up the same shít, its not getting thru...
I never block anybody.

With the exception of people that are truly being harassed, only pussies block people.

The quickest way to fall into an echo chamber is to block out opinions you don't like to hear or make you uncomfortable, and just because you don't like it or it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean that it isn't true.

The cognitive dissonance you need to hold that position as a fan of a Sydney club is truly astounding.

As a Panthers fan you wouldn't be caught dead in (e.g.) an Eels jersey no matter what they changed their name to to try and appeal to you, so why would you expect any different from any of the fans in Brisbane that aren't Dolphins fans?

The truth is that you wouldn't expect any different from them if you were intellectually honest.
you idiot

im from canberra & follow the raiders

the QRL
BRL
is not the NRL
no one will give a toss you halfwit

the
13 people in brisbane who follow redcliffe in the QRL im sure won't mind

you idiot

the QRL
BRL
is not the NRL

the
I'm a Wynnum Manly Seagulls fan now that the Logan Scorpions aren't around, and still will be when Redcliffe enter the NRL. I'll also support the Brisbane Dolphins in the NRL.

Penrith could also be relocated to Western NSW - Bathurst or Dubbo and become the Western NSW Panthers to help revive Country Football.

Canberra renamed ACT Raiders

The Great Dane

First Grade
you idiot

You're called baselinepanther, as such it was a reasonable assumption that you were a Panthers fan.

The point I was making still stands anyway, as anybody who's been around knows how the Sydneysiders respond to similar ideas when they have been proposed in the past, and expecting a different response from people in Brisbane is insane.
the QRL
BRL
is not the NRL

the
If nobody cared they would have folded decades ago and we wouldn't be talking about the Dolphins at all.

In normal times thousands of people are watching and attending Qld Cup games each week, there're families whom have supported their chosen club for generations, kids whom play juniors for those clubs, etc, etc.
That's a shit ton of people whom not only care enough to show up (which is more than a lot of supposed Raiders fans can say), but also many of whom should be the target audience of any new club, i.e. people whom like RL enough to invest their time and money, but aren't big fans of the Broncos.

The quickest way to turn the majority of those people off ever supporting the new club would be to promote a hated rival by giving one of the Qld Cup teams a license without requiring them to make changes to be more inclusive.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Canberra renamed ACT Raiders
Depends on what you want for the club.

If it was done well rebranding to the ACT Raiders could see strong growth in Canberra, but it will almost certainly have negative effects on support outside of the ACT, particularly outside of the Capital Region.

So if the goal of the Raiders is to be strictly a "Canberra" club, then rebranding as the ACT Raiders and basically copying the pre-2005 Brumbies narrative and marketing would be a great idea, but considering that the Raiders are effectively owned and operated by the Queanbeyan Blues, and have always looked to appeal to fans in the surrounding country towns, sometimes to the detriment of support in Canberra it's self, it seems unlikely that the Raiders would be interested in going down that route.

You're called baselinepanther, as such it was a reasonable assumption that you were a Panthers fan.

The point I was making still stands anyway, as anybody who's been around knows how the Sydneysiders respond to similar ideas when they have been proposed in the past, and expecting a different response from people in Brisbane is insane.

If nobody cared they would have folded decades ago and we wouldn't be talking about the Dolphins at all.

In normal times thousands of people are watching and attending Qld Cup games each week, there're families whom have supported their chosen club for generations, kids whom play juniors for those clubs, etc, etc.
That's a shit ton of people whom not only care enough to show up (which is more than a lot of supposed Raiders fans can say), but also many of whom should be the target audience of any new club, i.e. people whom like RL enough to invest their time and money, but aren't big fans of the Broncos.

The quickest way to turn the majority of those people off ever supporting the new club would be to promote a hated rival by giving one of the Qld Cup teams a license without requiring them to make changes to be more inclusive.
thousands are attending Qld cup games ??

yep
you have NFI
not that thats a surprise to anyone on here hahahaha