What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

ash the bash

Juniors
Interesting more and more looking like NZ2 is the preference. Which option ?

A) Club based somewhere in Auckland.
- A game in NZ biggest city each week.
- Auckland Derby.
- Potential to lobby for a new 30K Auckland stadium ?

B) Club based in Christchurch.
- Sporting culture & Auckland rivalry.
- Brand new 25K stadium in city.

C) Club based in Wellington ?

Santino Patane

Juniors
thousands are attending Qld cup games ??

yep
you have NFI
not that thats a surprise to anyone on here hahahaha
From personal experience, when I go to QRL games (usually Pizzey Park), I’d say an average crowd would be 3k-5k. I follow the Falcons though and I know their average crowd is over 5k. What’s your experience here, Donkeys??

So yeah, thousands would be within these stats.

skeepe

Immortal
and a proper conference system , with 2 conference champions & then a superbowl style playoff for the overall champion.
that comes into place in 2026
One conference is sydney based
one is non sydney

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sydney and non-Sydney conference is bullshit. Makes it much more expensive to run a club outside Sydney, much more travel for the non-Sydney conference.

If that’s the way they go it’s a f**king woeful decision.

Santino Patane

Juniors

- Auckland Derby.

D) What benefit outside of inner city (or this case- country) rivalry is this going to generate? I still haven’t heard any convincing arguments otherwise

From personal experience, when I go to QRL games (usually Pizzey Park), I’d say an average crowd would be 3k-5k. I follow the Falcons though and I know their average crowd is over 5k. What’s your experience here, Donkeys??

So yeah, thousands would be within these stats.

hahahahaha
you're as big an idiot as Dane

Perth Red

Post Whore

- Auckland Derby.

only Auckland2 would be feasible, maybe, and the damage it could do to warriors on splitting a smallish fanbase and corporate support could be very impacting. Highly doubtful any other city has the support base when you look at how poorly union draws in those places and it’s the number 1 sport.

be interested to know where the value is for nrlhq as well. It was rumoured the previous $20mill a year sky deal was less last time out so hard to see them stumping up the $13mill plus plus cost. Maybe the nrl thinks two teams might make it more attractive to fta in NZ??

Pippen94

First Grade
This is ridiculous. Sydney conference teams will have less travel than the other conference. This will mean that the Roosters, for example, will only play Melbourne in Melbourne once every 2 years. Whereas the Cowboys would play Melbourne twice a year, every year.

West Coast travel far more than any team in afl should that be allowed?!

Pippen94

First Grade
only Auckland2 would be feasible, maybe, and the damage it could do to warriors on splitting a smallish fanbase and corporate support could be very impacting. Highly doubtful any other city has the support base when you look at how poorly union draws in those places and it’s the number 1 sport.

be interested to know where the value is for nrlhq as well. It was rumoured the previous $20mill a year sky deal was less last time out so hard to see them stumping up the $13mill plus plus cost. Maybe the nrl thinks two teams might make it more attractive to fta in NZ??

Nz2 brings in more player talent plus potential sky TV increase. Not to mention instant rivalry with northern warriors.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nz2 brings in more player talent plus potential sky TV increase. Not to mention instant rivalry with northern warriors.

yes re player talent (though warriors can’t seem to find 17 good ones) ,highly unlikely re sky value and maybe but if not in Auckland it does nothing of value, any more than bringing in the Titans to create rivalry with cowboys for example. Warriors being successful and winning a premiership would do a lot more for the game in nz than a second struggling club!

Pippen94

First Grade
yes re player talent, highly unlikely re sky value and maybe but if not in Auckland it does nothing of value any more than bringing in the Titans to create rivalry with cowboys,

Ha - c'mon, two kiwi teams will have rivalry. Particularly if team is based anywhere outside of Auckland which is basically main divide in that country

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ha - c'mon, two kiwi teams will have rivalry. Particularly if team is based anywhere outside of Auckland which is basically main divide in that country

in what way? And how will it be of actual value? More people getting interested in the game maybe, maybe more media coverage, maybe two bigger crowds a year IFfans travel. Lost of maybes there.

if they are auckland2 I’d agree, if they are based 1000kms away in Christchurch it will have zero effect

Pippen94

First Grade
in what way? And how will it be of actual value? More people getting interested in the game maybe, maybe more media coverage, maybe two bigger crowds a year IFfans travel. Lost of maybes there.

if they are auckland2 I’d agree, if they are based 1000kms away in Christchurch it will have zero effect

Derby for warriors will increase business. New market brings new fans & potential players. Rugby fans more susceptible to NRL than rusted on afl ppl

Perth Red

Post Whore
Derby for warriors will increase business. New market brings new fans & potential players. Rugby fans more susceptible to NRL than rusted on afl ppl

how will playing a team from 1000kms away be a derby and boost one crowd a season?
Not sure how many union fans you’ve met lol, most I've met think we are knuckle dragging unemployed boguns who watch an inferior sport.

Pippen94

First Grade
how will playing a team from 1000kms away be a derby and boost one crowd a season?
Not sure how many union fans you’ve met lol, most I've met think we are knuckle dragging unemployed boguns who watch an inferior sport.

That's how it works in nz. They probably wonder why Townsville & Brisbane claim derby as well.

I play touch with two groups made up of ex union players & they all follow both codes

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just a reminder that both the warriors and nzrl dont think it’s a good idea.

nzrl:
But on the immediate horizon there are significant commercial hurdles in a small economy, which has a number of professional sports codes already operating.”

warriors:
But from what we’re seeing at the moment, New Zealand hasn’t got the capability of supporting another team commercially.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...up-second-nrl-team-in-new-zealand-too-quickly