What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW

Apey

Staff member
Ahh selection politics. That's how you know the women's game is coming along nicely. Just need some off-field shenanigans next.

aqua_duck

Coach
Kirra Dibb was also player of the match in City Country. I don’t know what the point of that game is if you can have a blinder but not get picked for interstate Origin.

I’ve heard there’s a lot of politicking and playing favourites in the women’s Blues set up, even more than the men’s, you just don’t hear about it so much because there’s just not the same media coverage around the women’s game. They’ve frequently looked for excuses to not pick Kirra, so I can only assume she’s just not one of the coach’s favourites.

Jessie was the obvious selection for one halves spot even if she had a bad series, she was the best NSW half in NRLW last season. But Pearson is very average and the Dragons moved heaven and earth to get Raecene McGregor to replace her for this coming season, and Fuimaono couldn’t even keep her halves spot at NRLW level (got moved to centre). Very odd selections.

Besides Kirra, Tayla Preston would have also been a better choice in the halves, Brooke Anderson should have been in the side over Quincy Dodd, and it’s questionable whether Shaylee Bent is even NRLW standard let alone Origin level. Absolute non-entity. But one of the coach’s favourites I guess.
There’s a few girls in the women’s game that commentators talk up and get selected in rep teams but I’ve never understood the fuss about that player, Bent is one, Keeley Davis another and Brooke Anderson also falls under that umbrella

PhilGould

Bench
Trial match vs the Broncos this weekend and then the season kicks off on the 22nd. Caitlan Johnston, Yasmin Clydsdale & Hannah Southwell all missing out as they recover from injuries. Griffiths said Clydsdale will be ready for round 1 but wasn't asked specifically about the other 2. Georgia Roche only just got here over the weekend so would think she won't play either.

Apey

Staff member
I'm keen for the double headers to start again. Quite enjoyed going early and watching the women play before the men. Never been super interested in watching the lower grades so its cool to have two games I'm interested in to watch. Although it was a bit tough last year when they played late at night after the men had lost.

PhilGould

Bench
Missing all of our first choice spine and all but 1 of our starting forward pack vs full strength Broncos. Few errors but doing alright so far. Predebon very good getting us up the field.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons
Sat July 22 2023, 3:10pm at McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Newcastle Knights
1. Tamika Upton 2. Sheridan Gallagher 3. Shanice Parker 4. Abigail Roache 5. Jasmine Strange 6. Caitlin Moran 7. Jesse Southwell 8. Tayla Predebon 9. Olivia Higgins 10. Rima Butler 11. Caitlan Johnston 12. Yasmin Clydsdale 13. Laishon Albert-Jones 14. Nita Maynard 15. Kayla Romaniuk 16. Simone Karpani 17. Viena Tinao 18. Tiana Davison 19. Tamerah Leati 20. Jayde Herdegen 21. Felila Kia 22. Georgia Roche

St George Illawarra Dragons
1. Teagan Berry 2. Taylor Mapusua 3. Keele Browne 4. Bobbi Law 5. Shenai Lendill 6. Tyla Nathan-wong 7. Raecene Mcgregor 8. Angelina Teakaraanga Katoa 9. Renee Targett 10. Tara McGrath-West 11. Sara Sautia 12. Roxy Murdoch 13. Alexis Tauaneai 14. Zali Hopkins 15. Ella Koster 16. Jamilee Bright 17. Maddison Weatherall 18. Kaarla Cowan 19. Sophie Clancy 20. Cortez Te Pau 21. Margot Vella 22. Sarah Riorden

Referee: Darian Furner
Sideline Officials: Billy Greatbach, Daniel Luttringer
Video Referee: Kasey Badger

PhilGould

Bench
Kick off at 3:10

1. Tamika Upton (C)
2. Sheridan Gallagher
3. Shanince Parker
4. Abigail Roache
5. Jasmin Strange
6. Caitlin Moran
7. Jesse Southwell
8. Tayla Predebon
9. Olivia Higgins
10. Rima Butler
11. Caitlan Johnston
12. Yasmin Clydsdale
13. Laishon Albert-Jones

14. Nita Maynard
15. Kayla Romaniuk
16. Simone Karpani
17. Viena Tinao

18. Tiana Davison

Dragons have almost an entirely new side from last year. Brought in Raecene McGregor but lost just about all of their big names and have had to rely on bringing in fringe players and juniors. Makes it difficult to really get a gauge on them, but they're currently equal favourites for the spoon for what that's worth.