What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 16s and 18s 2013

rabbitrabbits

Juniors
So, this bloke is only 15; great effort.

Just off the subject but many moons ago my club (Concord United - Wests comp) trialled a few times against Alexandria Rovers (Souths comp) - who at that stage were probably the best and strongest club in their comp. Do they still exist and are they still as strong?

Great club still exist and amazing!!!...and can state players such as Reece and Travis Robinson, Adam Reynolds, Nathan Merritt and i think trent merrin and many more have emerged from this club!!!

KAB

Juniors
Well, Whats wrong with everybody from what I see there is 7kids that actually come from the CRL region. Centurions have CRL crest on their jersey. So L Mitchell came from Taree but play and schooled on the c.coast. Then you have Jack Cogger - central coast (CRL) BROCK lamb - WEST maitland (CRL), Jesse Ramien - Central Coast (mnly) 2 illawara boys (CRL) ETHAn roberts - sth grafton -plays in the queensland comp ( CRL), please dont say token CRL player. Well done to the 2 Central Coast kids and our token kid

isaiah

Bench
is tevita pangai eligible for nsw, had an awesome game for raiders 20's, by the stats. ran 15 times for 200 metres, and credited with 3 try assists.

Tucantango

Juniors
When is the 18's side announced?

Daz,

If past announcements are an indication then you can expect the team to be named next Monday morning (17th June) at approximately 10am.

However the game is in Brisbane so it might get announced a little earlier, perhaps this Friday.

Regards,
Tuc

Tucantango

Juniors
Any final thoughts Tuc?

In late April I named the following in my NSW U/18?S
1. Dallin Watene-Zalezniak (Penrith)
2. Alex Johnson (Souths)
3. Harris (Illawarra)/Mata'utia (Newcastle)/Morgan (Bulldogs)/Tia Kilifi (Panthers)
4. Taane Milne
5. John Fomai (Parramatta)
6. Zac Clay (Parramatta)
7. Brendan Cox (Canterbury)
8. Addin Fonua Blake (Matt Lodge in U/20 and Fonua showing good discipline)
9. Brad Deitz (Roosters)
10. Fosio Tatola (Balmain)
11. Salesi Funaki (Balmain)
12. Tepai Moeroa (Parramatta)
13. Willis Meehan (Roosters)
14. Hame Sele (Dragons)/Tepai Tepu-Smith (Parra)
15. Moses Leota (Penrith) Rhys Armstrong (has to be a spot for him somewhere given his recent form on return)
16. Michael Morgan/Liam Knight (utility position)
17. Joey Lussick (Parramatta)/Soni Luke (Panthers)

After what I have personally seen, and heard from reputable sources, since the conclusion of the SGB finals to date, my changes are in bold (the reasons why appear below):
1. Dallin Watene-Zalezniak (Penrith)
2. Alex Johnson (Souths)
3. Michael Morgan (Bulldogs)/Euan Aitken (Dragons)
4. Sione Mata'utia (Knights)/Robert Jennings (Panthers)
5. John Fomai (Parramatta)
6. Zac Clay (Parramatta)
7. Brendan Cox (Canterbury)/Jackson Hastings (Dragons)
8. Addin Fonua Blake (Dragons)
9. Brad Deitz (Roosters)
10. Fosio Tatola (Balmain)
11. Salesi Funaki (Balmain)
12. Willis Meehan (Roosters)
13. Rhys Armstrong (Balmain)
14. Tepai Tepu-Smith (Parra)
15. Jack Bird (Dragons)
16. Tevita Pangai (Canberra)
17. Joey Lussick (Parramatta)/Hastings (Dragons)

Taane Milne and Tepai Moeroa are now fulfilling their scholarship obligations at Newington and it is my understanding that both have ceased playing in the NYC competition. Unfortunately for these boys ?SOO II? is on at approximately the same time as ?Australian Schools Rugby Union? selection trials, and no doubt, both will be in either of the NSWSRU I's or II's.

As a consequence I have also now given exclusivity of the centre positions to either Aitken, Mata'utia, Morgan or Jennings. I got to see Jennings and Aitken at their respective school trials recently, where both performed very well. They also had sound SGB seasons. Morgan and Mata'utia on the other hand didn't seem to have the greatest SGB try scoring seasons (like past years) however Morgan is seeing better fortune playing with the big boppers in the Sydney Shield competition, and Mata'utia also had a great trial with selection into the NSWCHS team; importantly both have rocksolid defence. Admittedly I have considered others for these positions however all these lads are outstanding defenders, which is going to be a primary requisite given the strike power of the Queensland outside backs!

In addition, with Tepai Moeroa going, Rhys Armstrong, who had an outstanding SGB finals series and a sound NYC debut a couple weeks ago, now comes off the bench and goes straight into lock (or the second row). My other change is Jack Bird moving on to the bench. Most would have written this lad off for this season, but such is the calibre of this champion that he deserves a spot after some awesome performances for the Dragons NYC team. I got to see two of his games a couple of weeks ago and he was back to his best! His solid defence will be much needed against this formidable QLD forward pack which has just been announced (see below)!

I have also included Pangai for reasons similar to Armstrong. I would also note that Fonua-Blake will have likely secured his position as a result of Matt Lodge (Melbourne) sustaining an injury which is likely to keep him out for a few more weeks to come. Finally, I have also thrown in young Hastings as a smoky given his sublime form in NYC to date!

Queensland Under 18 team
1. Valentine Holmes (Cronulla Sharks)
2. Paul Byrnes (Brisbane Broncos)
3. Ellery Tusa (Melbourne Storm)
4. Shaun Hudson (Gold Coast Titans)
5. Elijah Alick (Brisbane Broncos)
6. Jayden Nikorima (Brisbane Broncos/Norths Devils)
7. Duncan Paia?Aua (Brisbane Broncos)
8. Luke Bateman (Canberra Raiders)
9. Jayden Berrell (Brisbane Broncos)
10. Joseph Ofahengaue (Brisbane Broncos)
11. Alex Barr (Easts Tigers)
12. Richard Skelton (Redcliffe Dolphins)
13. Jai Arrow (Brisbane Broncos)
14. Chris Ostwald (Brisbane Broncos/Norths Devils)
15. Harry Pondekas (Brisbane Broncos/ Norths Devils)
16. Kieran Quabba (North Queensland Cowboys)
17. Andrew Niemoeller (North Queensland Cowboys)

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Jennings won't be fit for Origin selection. He is trying to be right for the Schoolboys Championships.

Oliver Clark may jag a bench spot for the NSW 18's.

EDIT: Hearing Matautia and Fonua Blake won't be fit also.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
I reckon Tuc's team will not be too far off the mark; but I believe Joey Lussick is in the same boat as Tepai and Taane, therefore I would rule him out.

Zach Clay has mainly played half-back and no:9 for Parramatta NYC team, therefore, I believe, he will be selected in either of these positions or be benched to cover for these positions. Therefore, the 5/8 selection, in my mind, is up in the air - I don't know enough about this age group to suggest a player.

I believe, Tevita Pangai will be selected in the "run on" team.

Depending on how they wish to fill the bench a smokie could be Tyronne May - as I believe he played as a 5/8, lock and fullback in this year's Pennies SG Ball team. I also believe he mainly plays half back for his club side - therefore as a utility player he would be able to cover numerous positions.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Tyrone would be the best utility in the comp. Was the Player of the Year in the team that finished runners up. Wouldn't look out of place!

Tucantango

Juniors
Tyrone would be the best utility in the comp. Was the Player of the Year in the team that finished runners up. Wouldn't look out of place!

I would have to agree with you all about May, and I did consider him given his performance during the SGB season, but that was until I seen Jack Bird play in the U/20's. Don't get me wrong because I'm not suggesting that anyone selected in their respective NYC team is an automatic inclusion into the NSW team! We all know that it hasn't been colloquially nicknamed 'TURNSTILE CUP' for no reason! However Birdy for mine will fill the utility role as he too can play various positions, and has done so in the past at the representative level. He is also a favourite of the NSW selectors.

Hey I feel that even Drew Hutchinson is a chance given that the NSW selectors like him (and don't get me wrong he is class player) but I still believe Clay and Cox are better halves. Another reason why I did not consider May is that I also believe that a couple of Manly boys will be included, given the love NSW selectors have shown them in the past!

On a final note what I would like to know is, why Tyrone May like a few others did not get selected into the NSWCCC team? I find this most perplexing especially when given that most of the managers of the CCC team hail from the Penrith district and would know the lad intimately. I know I'm digressing but I got this bad feeling that CCC are in for a bit of a touch up as far the ASSRL championship is concerned!

On a positive note it was good to see Oliver Clark (Daz's smoky for the U/18's) make the CCC team. His hard work and dedication of the field has certainly paid off!

Last edited:

half_back

Juniors
I would have to agree with you all about May, and I did consider him given his performance during the SGB season, but that was until I seen Jack Bird play in the U/20's. Don't get me wrong because I'm not suggesting that anyone selected in their respective NYC team is an automatic inclusion into the NSW team! We all know that it hasn't been colloquially nicknamed 'TURNSTILE CUP' for no reason! However Birdy for mine will fill the utility role as he too can play various positions, and has done so in the past at the representative level. He is also a favourite of the NSW selectors.

Hey I feel that even Drew Hutchinson is a chance given that the NSW selectors like him (and don't get me wrong he is class player) but I still believe Clay and Cox are better halves. Another reason why I did not consider May is that I also believe that a couple of Manly boys will be included, given the love NSW selectors have shown them in the past!

On a final note what I would like to know is, why Tyrone May like a few others did not get selected into the NSWCCC team? I find this most perplexing especially when given that most of the managers of the CCC team hail from the Penrith district and would know the lad intimately. I know I'm digressing but I got this bad feeling that CCC are in for a bit of a touch up as far the ASSRL championship is concerned!

On a positive note it was good to see Oliver Clark (Daz's smoky for the U/18's) make the CCC team. His hard work and dedication of the field has certainly paid off!

May is definitely deserving of a spot and it will probably come down to the other combinations selected. I don't think Clay is a half, started season well but major questions over decision making on an edge in O and D. For mind he is a hooker who can fill in at half. I would have him ahead of Deitz although his versatility may see selected in a utility role.

Hutchinson is the obvious replacement. Been there and done it as a 16 year old although May should be a chance and again definitely deserving.

In regards Manly only Nichols and Taylor should be a chance. Although Taylor falls into the Taane, Tepai, Lussick issue that he should be selected for NSW union given he was last year. Nichols has been quite good in 20s and recently premier League so along with Cox, May, Clay and Hutchinson would have to be in with a shout for selection.

In regards CCC selection Mays omission is strange although CCC being in for a touch up may not eventuate due to the apparent weakness of QLD and the equally strange selections in CHS. Slightly off topic I know but how CHS think they will win selecting only 2 props in their 20 man squad is beyond me. Especially given one of them, Addin is now struggling with injury.

Son of Minto

Bench
Hey fellas, just wondering about some info on Dockar-Clay. Is he still eligible for NSW under new rules? I see his rep honours are Aus Merit U15 and NSW U16 but was he living in NSW before 13? Just wondering because his birthplace is listed as in NZ, as is his jnr club.

Not trying to stir up an eligibility debate, just a genuine question. Thanks.

Tucantango

Juniors
Hey fellas, just wondering about some info on Dockar-Clay. Is he still eligible for NSW under new rules? I see his rep honours are Aus Merit U15 and NSW U16 but was he living in NSW before 13? Just wondering because his birthplace is listed as in NZ, as is his jnr club.

Not trying to stir up an eligibility debate, just a genuine question. Thanks.

That is a good question to which I too would like an answer!

Notwithstanding the fact that he made the rep teams as correctly stated by SoM, Clay would probably be 18 and if so it is my understanding an election has to be made (i.e. play u/18 for NSW making him ineligible for NZ representation (i.e Junior Kiwis and so forth).

Some guidance please! Anybody?

Latest posts