What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

big hit!

Bench
It's metres per minute which means he was moving further at a higher rate.

Regardless it's not a direct argument for Cleary rather a look at what Fittler is going for in his selection philosophy.

incorrect.

we can both stand on the try line - I sprint to the other try line in 15 seconds, stand around for 45 seconds. you walk to the other try line and get there within the minute. we've both covered 100m/minute. I've done it at a much higher intensity.

We do this for 80 minutes - i.e., 80 times. we still have both covered 100m/minute. How do you think I'll feel at the end of the 80 minutes compared to you? That's even assuming that I could complete 80x 100m sprints.

that's why the term 'intensity' is misleading in this case, and why it's actually quite a shit measure. It's down the list in good S&C environments when analysing external loads on players.

the number and loading of acceleration/deceleration (contact provides the biggest deceleration loading) tells you more about intensity than metres/time. metabolically, accelerating is highly taxing. that's why middles/props need to be rotated through out a game. metres/min might be nice number to awe at, but it's a general number which means little without delving down further.

in saying all that, i don't doubt Cleary lacks effort. the thing is, most other positions can get by with a heap of effort. the halves need more. they pull the strings, bait the opposition defense 3 & 4-man in good ball, need to have a bit more guile during play than brute effort. it's this skill with ball in hand and foot that sets a half back apart from most other positions and keeps defensive lines 2nd guessing. Cleary doesn't do that. I hope he finds it before Sunday, although with Maloney there, he may now get away with not having to. I can guarantee you though that NSW will be copping it from both sides of the ruck from QLD's halves than just one.

OldPanther

Coach
incorrect.

we can both stand on the try line - I sprint to the other try line in 15 seconds, stand around for 45 seconds. you walk to the other try line and get there within the minute. we've both covered 100m/minute. I've done it at a much higher intensity.

We do this for 80 minutes - i.e., 80 times. we still have both covered 100m/minute. How do you think I'll feel at the end of the 80 minutes compared to you? That's even assuming that I could complete 80x 100m sprints.

that's why the term 'intensity' is misleading in this case, and why it's actually quite a shit measure. It's down the list in good S&C environments when analysing external loads on players.

the number and loading of acceleration/deceleration (contact provides the biggest deceleration loading) tells you more about intensity than metres/time. metabolically, accelerating is highly taxing. that's why middles/props need to be rotated through out a game. metres/min might be nice number to awe at, but it's a general number which means little without delving down further.

in saying all that, i don't doubt Cleary lacks effort. the thing is, most other positions can get by with a heap of effort. the halves need more. they pull the strings, bait the opposition defense 3 & 4-man in good ball, need to have a bit more guile during play than brute effort. it's this skill with ball in hand and foot that sets a half back apart from most other positions and keeps defensive lines 2nd guessing. Cleary doesn't do that. I hope he finds it before Sunday, although with Maloney there, he may now get away with not having to. I can guarantee you though that NSW will be copping it from both sides of the ruck from QLD's halves than just one.

Point taken. As I said earlier it's more about looking at Fittlers personal philosophy around selections rather than a specific defence for Cleary. It seems a guy who'll have a guaranteed 5 - 7 game is better than a guy who'll have a 2 - 9 rated game.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Can’t remember exactly what the stats were but Belcher and Seattle’s we’re discussing how there were a few stats that showed Cleary was the most involved player for NSW in game 1. Similar to what you guys are talking about with a couple of other factors I think. They said it’s why Freddy kept him.

There was some validity to it because the stats they discussed weren’t the common ones we’re familiar with, and it did shed light on a lot of off the ball work he did in that game.

BranVan3000

Coach
I know mate, you wanted your boy in there, but he's played 18 Origins already and never won a series. Not a sausage, and it's damaged his head. At least he's intelligent enough to know the jig is up, even if most of the media aren't. Cleary is 1 from 1 and still cretins like you are tearing into him, even though he's the last man standing.

It might help you understand how others felt when M Pearce continued to be named year in and year out.

So he has to bear the cross of Pearce, even though he won last year and he still might win this year. Some people are pretty unreasonable. Maybe you should wait until he loses one series at least before comparing him with The Great Failure.
He didn’t win anything, he showed up. Maloney, Cook and Teddy won the series while QLD were in injury and selection turmoil. I’ve seen nothing suggesting he will step up to the rank of those other 3 yet. Great if he does but he isn’t an auto selection yet by any means

newyboy

Juniors
I know mate, you wanted your boy in there, but he's played 18 Origins already and never won a series. Not a sausage, and it's damaged his head. At least he's intelligent enough to know the jig is up,
I didn't want Pearce or anyone from Newcastle picked as the risk of injury plus resting players damage Newcastle.

SBD82

Coach
I didn't want Pearce or anyone from Newcastle picked as the risk of injury plus resting players damage Newcastle.
Injury wasn’t the biggest risk for Newcastle if Pearce played Origin.

The real risk was him being mentally damaged again through another failure.

big hit!

Bench
Teddy vice-captain. I'd prefer a talker like Maloney. I suppose it's not so significant. Maloney will be leading the team around without the C or VC next to his name anyway

TheFrog

Coach
Teddy vice-captain. I'd prefer a talker like Maloney. I suppose it's not so significant. Maloney will be leading the team around without the C or VC next to his name anyway
Maloney won't be there next year. It's just succession planning. Needless to say, I think its a poor choice.

GongPanther

Referee
Everyone lorded Freddy last year for freshening up the team and giving it some edge .. now he loses one game and forgets his balls and picks a safe Laurie Daley type side. You suck, Freddy.
And just to think that game 2 hasn't yet been played.

SBD82

Coach
Who do we have that can play left centre is Turbo’s dodgy hamstrings play up?

It’s not an unlikely scenario unfortunately.

greenBV4

Bench
Cordner isn't either.
Yeah but is that not the reason they picked a VC? For when cordners not on the field

If you pick a VC who also doesnt play 80 mins then you need someone for when both arent on field

I also agree itll be Maloney doing most the talking anyway though

isaiah

Bench
View attachment 30708

A halfback should never have 0s. Saying now he is only being picked for his effort game and not for his overall game sounds like a desperation to protect the kid

So if NSW lose once again, Cleary plods along and say Maloney scores a try, and sets up 2 he is destined to be the scapegoat because Cleary has been assigned the role of "Effort man".

FFS the kids biggest origin highlight in 4 games is a regulation legs tackle on Greg Inglis

Look at the game the QLD halves played, sure they are a bit more experienced but that should be the reg an origin standard halfback should play. Simple answer - Cleary just isn't in the same class
I cannot get over the nsw kicking game since Freddy took over. Kick high and to the corners. No pressure on the wingers, no contest.

SBD82

Coach
I cannot get over the nsw kicking game since Freddy took over. Kick high and to the corners. No pressure on the wingers, no contest.
It’s not great, but it’s better than the tactic from Daley’s era.

Where he came up with the tactic “kick it straight to slater” I still don’t know.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I feel sorry for NSW. A series win got your hopes up. The trouble is that neither imitation nor strategy can replicate what the Maroons have mostly bottled over the last decade and more.

The QLD team will be tighter and tougher for two halves of the game. Don't expect any of your fancy running attack to gain any traction. QLD are going to chop you down like firewood. Game 1 was the best you'll produce.
Lol. I especially liked how you chose to ignore the fact nsw played to about 30% of its potential, clicked for maybe 20 minutes and still lost off a Jack Shiteon brain explosion. Having said that, we needed to win game one and i have absolutely no doubt the series is over.

Latest posts