What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW backline 2010

Everyone seems dead set on choosing Jennings, but i wouldn't be so confident. I mean he is lightning quick and has great foot work, but against Inglis and Hodges hmmmmm. Inglis will run him over every time, and Hodges' defense is to good to be cracked without power.

natheel

Coach
well after watching the aussie game today id have

1. Hayne
2. Jennings
3. Tahu
4. J. Morris
5. B. Morris

14. Gidley

Hayne is wasted on the wing now hes established himself as a fullback.....jennings and tahu would form a great partnership and tahus size will combat inglis
and the morris boys just seem to have such a great understanding of eachother and play their hearts out when together in the same side......wonder how dragons wouldve gone if they kept both of those boys

mozza91

Coach
1-Stewart
2-Hayne
3-Jennings/Tahu(if he's the same Tahu from 2000-07)
4-Cooper
5-B Morris/McManus(bias but I'd feel alot safer with McManus then any other winger)
6-Barrett/Sutton
7-Mullen

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jesus mozza, both McManus and Mullen?

I love Jimmy as much as any Knights supporter but its clear as day thet he is not a rep winger. He's got his work cut out for him just locking down a first grade spot at the Knights for next year let alone making the NSW side.

Mullo needs to perform week in week out for his club and is not up to rep footy as a halfback. Put Kimmorley inside him and let him run at 5/8 maybe, but halfback is just not going to happen imo

yeah i too reakon that Tahu would be a good way to combat Inglis, and even if he's not good enough to stop Inglis from breaking out, he would still be good enough to give Inglis a headache in defence. Inglis is a awsome attacker but no way can his difference compare to his attack. Also has anyone considered using Mateo at left centre, or even Jarryd Hayne their. Hayne is really good at centre, and especially if he's up against Justin Hodges, who he is stronger, faster, more skillfull, and can defrend better than. Eric growth should also be considered at right wing, and in the foward pack i think that it would be a good idea to have Tom Leroyd-Larrs at prop, since he's so big and strong.

typicalfan

Coach
Inglis is the strongest defensive centre in the game, puts front rowers on their ass all the time.

Were was his defence against Junior Sau, who barged over for that spectacular try in the Kiwis and Kangaroos game. were was it against Eric Growth in the grand final.

mozza91

Coach
Jesus mozza, both McManus and Mullen?

I love Jimmy as much as any Knights supporter but its clear as day thet he is not a rep winger. He's got his work cut out for him just locking down a first grade spot at the Knights for next year let alone making the NSW side.

Mullo needs to perform week in week out for his club and is not up to rep footy as a halfback. Put Kimmorley inside him and let him run at 5/8 maybe, but halfback is just not going to happen imo
NSW needs to combat QLD's star outside backs and imo McManus is probably the best defensive winger in the game he might not have the attacking game of the Morris brothers but both of them are horrible defensive players especially Josh, he was great for us when he played this year and when he got hurt the team started to go downhill, if fit and in form I'd give him a shot.
As for Mullen I think he is the only half in NSW capable of outplaying Thurston he's done it plenty of times at club level, with Mullen at his best in the halves we can beat QLD I'm not sure any other half has the attacking game to threaten QLd like Mullen has

ANTiLAG

First Grade
SO your choices for halves are
Kimmorley, Barrett, Soward, Campese, Mullen, Pearce, Mortimer, Wallace, Campbell, and Finch.

While either Scotty Prince or Cooper Cronk cannot even make the Qld team. Well this is what it felt like when QLD had to resort to the likes of Lam and Fien!

If I was NSW I would go Barrett/Soward or Kimmorley/Soward. Barrett plays well in rep games at half back. Yes Soward is a defensive liability - but at least he's an offensive option. Give the midget a go. Langer was a midget and that worked out alright for QLD.

Campese is a choker and Mullen is not creative in attack enough to get past origin defense. Wallace, Finch and Campbell are average. Mortimer should be plan B for 2011 if 2010 does not go well.

I reserve all comment about Sutton.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think it is far to early to say.

The Morris boys, Jennings and Hayne I would suggest will be favourites get a run, but the halves and other threequarter are all up for grabs.

So is the Captaincy.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Id be looking at Soward and Mullen, mainly for their kicking game which is a make or break against Queensland.

i think there are a few good halves going around. Mullens is not that flash but he does do the basics well. Pearce is fairly good, he managed to shine in a very weak roosters team, and i think thats the difference between him and wallace. Wallace plays well at club because he's got a bunch a superstars outside him. when he jumped in for the blues he was under so much pressure that he couldnt cope. Sutton is really good, he's big, strong, fast, skillfull, and he's got pretty good vision. Mortimers good. Jamie soward im not to sure about. but for me i would go with Barret and Kimmorley, they've got experience, skill, defence, and are very clever, but they are getting quite old. Todd Carney also should be mentioned.

typicalfan

Coach
Were was his defence against Junior Sau, who barged over for that spectacular try in the Kiwis and Kangaroos game. were was it against Eric Growth in the grand final.
I counted 4 times he put Nick Kenny on his rear in the prelim final. Sau often beats the first defender but Gallen should have tackled him.

mxlegend99

Referee
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Joel Monaghan / Timana Tahu
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Brett Kimmorley

The 2/3/4 pretty much pick themselves after the Australia game. They all performed well in those positions.

Jarryd Hayne will definitely be in the team. Hopefully at fullback where he plays his best football and IMO it would suit the team best. We don't want to disturb the Morris twins combination on the left wing, and he's not as effective on the right wing.

Which leaves a right wing spot open. I would probably have Joel Monaghan as the first on the list for the job, although if Tahu comes back and still looks the goods I would have him straight in the side and have him switching with Michael Jennings when it comes to defence.

With the halves I would have Brett Kimmorley for experience, and Jarrod Mullen as a player to develop for the future. Jamie Soward and Terry Campese can compete with Mullen for that spot.

I counted 4 times he put Nick Kenny on his rear in the prelim final. Sau often beats the first defender but Gallen should have tackled him.
Did you watch the other games. Statistically that left handside is the weakest part of the storms defence, and that was because of Inglis. He's similar to Israel, he's so tall that he cant really get his shoulder in the right place. Plus Nick Kenny isnt that great of a tackle breaker, if it was Moimoi i think it would have been very different.

stoodamire

Juniors
If all in form i'd go with

1) B. Stewart
2) B. Morris
3) M. Jennings
4) T. Tahu
5) J. Hayne
6) T. Carney
7) B. Kimmorley

Might as well throw in the rest..

13) L. O'Donnell
12) B. Creagh
11) A. Watmough
10) M. Weyman
9) M. Ennis
8) J. Poore

14) B. White
15) T. Waterhouse
16) L. Lewis
17) T. Learoyd-Lahrs.

Last edited:

AB129*

Juniors
Did you watch the other games. Statistically that left handside is the weakest part of the storms defence, and that was because of Inglis. He's similar to Israel, he's so tall that he cant really get his shoulder in the right place. Plus Nick Kenny isnt that great of a tackle breaker, if it was Moimoi i think it would have been very different.

I completely disagree. The storm's left edge defence was statistically weaker because Joseph Tomane was the winger for much of the season and he leaked tries, when Neilsen came in it was fine. Ask the guys over at the storm forum- actually I think they might have a whole thread on it after it came up on NRL Tactics (who clearly didn't do their research properly either). Not because of Inglis, who would have to be one of the better one-on-one defenders against back/forwards in the game.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If all in form i'd go with

1) B. Stewart
2) B. Morris
3) M. Jennings
4) T. Tahu
5) J. Hayne
6) T. Carney
7) B. Kimmorley

Might as well throw in the rest..

13) L. O'Donnell
12) B. Creagh
11) A. Watmough
10) M. Weyman
9) M. Ennis
8) J. Poore

14) B. White
15) T. Waterhouse
16) L. Lewis
17) T. Learoyd-Lahrs.

Id be happy with that, still not conviced about Jennings defence but if the forwards dominate, it wont be a concern.

Latest posts