What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

Raider_69

Post Whore
why did the Raiders chose to abandon their junior comps by deciding not to be a part of the NSWRL?

Because it would consign a very long standing, proud club to its death, and hand a THRIVING RL area to other codes and destroy direct pathways to the NRL for a huge population and strong RL area.

My turn... one word answer will be fine:

Does this decision promote or damage Rugby League?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Those pricks (QRL) have already stolen too many of OUR players in years gone by, lets fight fire with fire

Well congrats
now your going to have talented RL kids (well the ones who dont go to union or afl) being sent up to private schools on scholarships in brisbane at the age of 15... born in QBN, QBN blues junior will play his first game over 16 for a brisbane school team... guess who he's eligable to play for come SOO time?

Hint: It's not the blues

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Well the two state cups are 'rival' comps, as illustrated by the Residents clash each year as are the Junior Rep comps with their Juniors facing off also.

Can't comment about the Titans scenario but they certainly don't now and never will again due to the new dual registration law.

I think whether we like it or not, at the end of the day, now more than ever Sport is a business... and for years the QRL has sat up there and trumpeted about how awesome the Q-Cup is, and while that may be the case I have no issue with NSWRL taking measures to protect and look to improve their product.

Those pricks (QRL) have already stolen too many of OUR players in years gone by, lets fight fire with fire

So you're fine with damaging the game itself just for some petty sense of revenge? Wow.

Tell you what, I'm going to savour next year's Origin win. There will be kids entering primary school in NSW who weren't alive the last time NSW won a series. Let's see if this decision by the NSWRL still comforts you then.

edit: Sport is a business but this would be like Sony making their blu-ray discs incompatible with PS3's due to inter-division pettiness, meaning customers will go out and buy non-Sony BD players... It's absolutely geniused and some people have their heads too far up their own arse to see the bigger picture.

Whatever anyone thinks about the Raiders' actions in all this, the simple fact is that the AFL will be rubbing their hands together with glee. We've just witnessed the spectacle of the ACT government handing over millions of dollars of taxpayers money to the Sydney GWS team...one of the uses of that money will be to build an AFL academy in Canberra, with a view to giving elite young athletes a direct pathway into professional AFL football. The NSWRL decision has effectively ended the pathway for young Canberra region athletes who would have chosen rugby league instead.

Even if you think the Raiders are culpable in all this -- and they may well be --- the fact remains the NSWRL have handed AFL a gift beyond their wildest dreams. Rugby league youngsters who wanted to play the game at the highest level are being punished by the blazer wearing set. The serious ones who want a career as a professional footballer will now seriously contemplate AFL or union instead. Canberra's Harold Mats and Ball teams have provided a players to many NRL clubs --- not just the Raiders -- and representative football.

That is now over. The harm to rugby league won't be apparent next year, or even the year after...but it is a terrible blow to our game in this region which will eventually be evident for all to see in the years to come. Punish the Raiders by all means if that's what the good folk at the NSWRL see fit...but for god sakes don't damage the game at the junior level....rugby league is simply not healthy enough at the moment to afford this type of short sighted recrimination.

Rocket

Juniors
In how many different ways can the administrators of this sport shoot the game in the foot??? Sure the Raiders knew what the score was, but having a body like the NSWRL that is clearly only self-interested in a defined region is just dumb in 2010.

When so many other sports have a genuine national and international focus Rugby League is a laughing stock.

But regardless of who you think is to blame, it is yet another backward step for our code and the only winners are Aussie Rules and Rugby Union.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Because it would consign a very long standing, proud club to its death, and hand a THRIVING RL area to other codes and destroy direct pathways to the NRL for a huge population and strong RL area.

My turn... one word answer will be fine:

you didn't answer the question

Big Pete

Referee
What a terrible course of action by NSWRL.

If they wanted Canberra to join their competition so badly they should invest more money into their own competition and entice clubs to field sides.

Instead they've essentially told teams to play in their s**tty competition or they won't let them field juniors.

D**k move by them.

greeneyed

First Grade
I must say I am with El Diablo here. You can't have an each way bet. Why would the NSWRL facilitate a clubs Juniors in an awesome comp/s (Matts & Ball), only to see them grow up and then head across the border and strengthen a rival competition?? It doesn't make sense. I know for a fact that several workable scenarios were put in front of Don Furner, even to the point where there was a verbal/handshake agreement for 4-6 players a week to line up beside the Dragons extras at Shellharbour, only for him to renege on that deal. I think the NSWRL has been more than patient and while I have absolute sympathy for the young kids who will now be forced to play in second rate local comps or perhaps QLD (explain to me how the Raiders can't afford a NSW Cup team but can afford to fly 60 kids to QLD every weekend!!!) I have little to no sympathy for the Raiders. They did this to themselves... Manly were in the same spot but saw that ultimately what is best for their young kids and long term their football club is for their youngsters to be playing in the strongest Jnr comp in Aust... Canberra obviously didn't agree.. I guess the proof will be in the pudding in 5 or 6 yrs time!

I know for a fact the Dragons didn't want the Raiders to be part of Shellharbour and scuttled the deal.

I have said this before, but it is wrong, unfair, ridiculous for the NSWRL to demand Canberra bear the full cost of a NSW Cup team, when it doesn't demand the same for Sydney teams. If they want to demand this of Canberra, they should demand all "NSW/ACT" NRL teams put in their own full teams.

How does having a few surplus players spend a year or two playing Q Cup damage NSWRL? It is not like the players, if they are NSW Origin eligible, suddenly become Qld players. If just furthers their development. Surely it is more damaging to NSWRL if the Raiders development work is obliterated in southern NSW and the ACT. Which is the ridiculous choice the NSWRL has now made.

The Raiders won't be flying under 18s and under 16s to Queensland, but they now have every incentive simply to base them at Souths Logan down the track. Is that what the NSWRL really want?

It is lose-lose for both the Raiders and NSWRL, one of the most ridiculous, narrow minded decisions I've seen in over 40 years of following rugby league.

Sure, the NSWRL has now done what it said it would do. But what it said it would do was cutting off their own nose to just spite their face.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
the Raiders made the decision, not the NSWRL

they could have stayed in just as Manly decided they would do

greeneyed

First Grade
Whatever anyone thinks about the Raiders' actions in all this, the simple fact is that the AFL will be rubbing their hands together with glee. We've just witnessed the spectacle of the ACT government handing over millions of dollars of taxpayers money to the Sydney GWS team...one of the uses of that money will be to build an AFL academy in Canberra, with a view to giving elite young athletes a direct pathway into professional AFL football. The NSWRL decision has effectively ended the pathway for young Canberra region athletes who would have chosen rugby league instead.

Even if you think the Raiders are culpable in all this -- and they may well be --- the fact remains the NSWRL have handed AFL a gift beyond their wildest dreams. Rugby league youngsters who wanted to play the game at the highest level are being punished by the blazer wearing set. The serious ones who want a career as a professional footballer will now seriously contemplate AFL or union instead. Canberra's Harold Mats and Ball teams have provided a players to many NRL clubs --- not just the Raiders -- and representative football.

That is now over. The harm to rugby league won't be apparent next year, or even the year after...but it is a terrible blow to our game in this region which will eventually be evident for all to see in the years to come. Punish the Raiders by all means if that's what the good folk at the NSWRL see fit...but for god sakes don't damage the game at the junior level....rugby league is simply not healthy enough at the moment to afford this type of short sighted recrimination.

This is the incredible thing. The penalty the Sydney clubs have devised, is to damage the sport in a serious fashion in their own State, as well as the ACT.

greeneyed

First Grade

Actually, no, the decision maker was the NSWRL.

Moreover, the NSWRL decision process damages all parties and is stupid and unfair, does not treat clubs equally, and it is a lose-lose all round.

Rocket

Juniors

Sorry but the NSWRL made the decision, and the Raiders stood up to what was a desperate act from a moribund and backward looking organisation.

In this day and age the existence of a body like the NSWRL that is so parochial and narrow minded is a joke.

The NSWRL are as bad as CAMS are in the motorsport world. Scared of genuine competition that takes away the power they want to hold just for themselves.

So instead of trying to attract customers (which the clubs are), they try to regulate and brow beat them into submission.

Raider_69

Post Whore
you didn't answer the question

We didnt abandon our juniors
we are active in grass roots footy and wished to continue being active in grass roots footy and providing the NSWRL with a crop of young talent year in and year out from a thriving RL area

Because we are so development minded, we also puts stakes into Souths Logan, and saved vital NRL pathways from being crushed in another thriving area for RL. We are not abondoning our juniors, the NSWRL is abandoning our juniors, simply for the fact that we helping develop other areas

ie, we are helping the game grow, they are looking to confide the game.

The NSWRL gave us the choice of killing junior RL in the riverina, or killing it Souths Logan. We wanted to continue to develop in both areas.

My turn again:

one word answer is fine... is this decision going to promote or damage rugby league... one word.

franklin2323

Immortal
I must say I am with El Diablo here. You can't have an each way bet. Why would the NSWRL facilitate a clubs Juniors in an awesome comp/s (Matts & Ball), only to see them grow up and then head across the border and strengthen a rival competition?? It doesn't make sense. I know for a fact that several workable scenarios were put in front of Don Furner, even to the point where there was a verbal/handshake agreement for 4-6 players a week to line up beside the Dragons extras at Shellharbour, only for him to renege on that deal. I think the NSWRL has been more than patient and while I have absolute sympathy for the young kids who will now be forced to play in second rate local comps or perhaps QLD (explain to me how the Raiders can't afford a NSW Cup team but can afford to fly 60 kids to QLD every weekend!!!) I have little to no sympathy for the Raiders. They did this to themselves... Manly were in the same spot but saw that ultimately what is best for their young kids and long term their football club is for their youngsters to be playing in the strongest Jnr comp in Aust... Canberra obviously didn't agree.. I guess the proof will be in the pudding in 5 or 6 yrs time!
I agree. Canberra can play their juniors in QLD if it's good. Canberra is Act so can play where they want. Why should CRL fund their junior development only for the players to strengthen the QLD Cup. CRL should use that money and field their own team like they do with Central Coast. Then the other teams can take the quality & use in the NRL

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
I agree. Canberra can play their juniors in QLD if it's good. Canberra is Act so can play where they want. Why should CRL fund their junior development only for the players to strengthen the QLD Cup.

because it strengthens RL
ffs lose this NSW vs QLD nonsense
save it for origin... outside the realms of State of Origin we need to be looking at this code at a national level, not f**king state v state... jesus christ, you'd be forgiven for thinking some of you never want this code to expand beyond QLD and NSW :roll::roll:

Broncos93

Juniors
Not really Geoff Carr's place to make a decision on this scale considering he's about to be phased out due to the IC. Guess he had to leave one last big black mark on Rugby League before he went out.

franklin2323

Immortal
because it strengthens RL
ffs lose this NSW vs QLD nonsense
save it for origin... outside the realms of State of Origin we need to be looking at this code at a national level, not f**king state v state... jesus christ, you'd be forgiven for thinking some of you never want this code to expand beyond QLD and NSW :roll::roll:

Play your juniors in QLD then. The fact is CRL help with funding arrangement for lower grades as such can demand you play senior footy down here. You act like the juniors will vanish no chance. Central Coast (which CRL currently fund) or start up another team like the Western Academy will take them or Rooster or Storm. Scouts were down there last year that won't change. They just wont play in Raiders jerseys. You can sign

skeepe

Immortal

Get a clue.

The Raiders agreed to field a team in the NSW Cup. They asked for help from the NSWRL to find a team to link with. They also spent many months investigating the idea of running a team out of Goulburn, before concluding that they simply could not afford it.

That the NSWRL could not (or would not) find them a suitable team to link with meant there was only one course of action - keep the Souths Logan link.

The NSWRL are now punishing the Raiders because the NSWRL are an incompetent organisation who are not for the game, but for their own interests.

Rugby League juniors south of Wollongong have now been handed over in a neat little package to the AFL, and Geoff Carr is solely culpable for this treason.

Latest posts