What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

nzkiwis

Juniors
Raiders will most likely merge with Dragons, as the Shellharbour Dragons will not exist next year. The Shellharbour club will no longer be apart of the Dragons partnership. Other Illawarra clubs were not satisifed with the deal the Dragons presented to partner with to field a NSW Cup side, meaning that the Dragons will either field their own team or merged with Canberra.

Raiders and Manly are included in the 2011 SG Ball and Harold Matts due to be released at the end of this month/early December, so it seems the NSWRL expects Canberra and Manly to come into NSW Cup.

nzkiwis

Juniors
So the Raiders have confirmed this morning on Canberra radio that a link with Wests Magpies has just a month ago been ruled out by Wests Tigers, as they do not want the Raiders in their district.

The NSWRL now seems to want them to merge with the Dragons in NSW Cup, and the Raiders will again go to Sydney on Wednesday to discuss.

The Raiders have said they don't see any options in Sydney that are logistically or financially viable.

Raiders will most likely merge with Dragons, as the Shellharbour Dragons will not exist next year. The Shellharbour club will no longer be apart of the Dragons partnership. Other Illawarra clubs were not satisifed with the deal the Dragons presented to partner with to field a NSW Cup side, meaning that the Dragons will either field their own team or merged with Canberra.

Raiders and Manly are included in the 2011 SG Ball and Harold Matts due to be released at the end of this month/early December, so it seems the NSWRL expects Canberra and Manly to come into NSW Cup.

****Raiders and Manly are included in the 2011 SG Ball and Harold Matts draw due to be released at the end of this month/early December

Big Pete

Referee
I've got no problem with the NSWRL looking out for their own best interests but the way they've gone about this is incredibly childish.

If they wanted to improve the quality of the NSW Cup, they should've invested into it and given clubs financial aid.

That would've been a much better move then acting like a bunch of children.

"Well if you're not going to spend a s**t load of cash to field a NSW Cup side and abandon the security of the Qld Cup then we'll deter your juniors from playing Rugby League"....

Dumb asses.

What's next? Will those Harold Matts/SG Ball players be banned from supplying water at junior games for fear that they're promoting the QRL?

Last edited:

Bro Bear

Juniors
I've got no problem with the NSWRL looking out for their own best interests but the way they've gone about this is incredibly childish.

If they wanted to improve the quality of the NSW Cup, they should've invested into it and given clubs financial aid.

Totally agree, Big Pete, lets see the CRL and NSWRL have assisted Newcastle through the CC Centurions and Cronulla (several times). Canberra and Manly should of been assisted too as Melbourne. Canberra - Monaro/Goulburn, Manly - NSW Kooris team with the CRL; and Melbourne - Vic Country out of Geelong. They never give Souths or the Bears assistance. There are other clubs in the NSWRL apart from Newcastle and Cronulla that should be given assistance.

Correct me if I'm wrong Spitty, but the way I understand it is that for the Wests Tigers is that contracted players in Balmain Ryde Eastwood + Western Suburbs become the Wests Tigers in Reserve Grade, with BRE dropping out. Western Suburbs meanwhile want to keep their brand in Reserves, so their club will for all purposes be considered seperate to the Wests Tigers in Reserve Grade while fielding Canberra players.

Is that right?

Has it been confirmed that the BRET are dropping out?

R2Coupe

Juniors
This is the first time I have learnt BRET are no more and the Magpies will field Raiders players in its team.

Where has this been announced?

Why should Wests or BRET assist a former Superleague club?

The answer for the Raiders is to deduct $500k from its NRL salary cap, pay it to Goulburn and field a team. WTs operated below the cap for some years.

gronkathon

First Grade
The ideal situation for Sheens was to have the State Cup team as Wests Tigers but there is a little blocking from the Black and Whites as to use of the name so it is also possible that BRET will continue as the sole WT feeder club

Bluebag

Juniors
The 500k is a guarantee and does not need to be in the bank only to say that they have the funding. Why do players from the QRL move down here and ask them which is the better standard, The QRL run the comp better that is true they have it televised while the NSWRL keep ignoring it. Also it does not cost 500 k to run a club as most clubs pay match payments ranging from 300 to 500 a win and some do not pay losing bonuses. Wests run the State Cup, SG Ball, HM plus development sides for less than that the figure is as I say a guarantee.

It is more the lack of interest by clubs to run it as well as fans to support it and talented players will not be lost to the game they get pickedup by other clubs anyway that is just a scare campaign. Should either club choose not to do it for financial reasons then just say it dont make up stories as there are a number of officials in both clubs who want the club to field teams.

The QRL comp is so good it dominates the Residents games every year, NOT it is pretty even so that is a fallacy aboutthe standard.

siv

First Grade
I noticed Souths-Logan and teh sunshine Coast have decided to not field a team in next years Qld cup - beacuse they could not have Ribot as their representative on the QRL board

I guess they will be playing in the NSW Cup then anyway

(KW)

Juniors
MEDIA RELEASE
The Board of the New South Wales Rugby League has today expressed its disappointment with the Canberra Raiders’ decision not to compete in the 2011 NSW Cup which will make their juniors ineligible to play in the NSWRL’s Junior Representative Competitions.
The NSWRL has spent considerable time and energy with all Clubs to engage them in the NSW Cup because the competition is a critical platform for Rugby League in the state as it links directly with NSW elite junior programs.
18 months ago the NSWRL worked to strengthen the NSW Cup as well as all representative pathways and the League made it clear that all Clubs needed to provide clear pathways within NSW.
NSWRL General Manager, Geoff Carr, said despite months of negotiations with the Raiders, the club has today announced they will not field a team in the NSW Cup with the full knowledge that this would make their juniors ineligible for Harold Matthews and SG Ball.
“It just impractical for us to develop junior players only to have them strengthen competitions interstate,” Mr Carr said.
“We have the best junior development programs of any sport in Australia and the continued commitment to these pathways is key to that success.
“We don’t want to see anyone miss out on football but Clubs have to commit to a strong game wide structure that will improve development across the state rather than focus on short term financial savings that weaken the game’s structure.
“Manly were faced with the same decision and ultimately felt that our junior programs were worth supporting.
“We have received countless correspondence from Clubs supporting our stance and they have all stressed the importance of a direct pathway for junior development through to open age football in the state of NSW.”
Please find attached the draws for both the SG Ball (Under 18) competition and the Harold Matthews (Under 16) competition.
The draw for the NSW Cup will be released early next week.

skeepe

Immortal
The NSWRL have just shown they don't give a sh*t about any juniors south of the Sydney metropolitan area.

skeepe

Immortal
The Raiders tried long and hard to comply with the wishes of the NSWRL to enter a team into the NSW Cup, but no agreeable alternative was found.

They have stated numerous times that if the NSWRL would be prepared to help them find a team to link with, they would be prepared to cut their ties with Souths Logan and comply with the wishes of the NSWRL.

That the NSWRL either could not or would not assist tells you that it was an impossible request from the start, a request made with the full knowledge that it would hurt the Canberra Raiders club and with no other intention but to do so.

I say that the CRJRL should withdraw membership of the the NSWRL with immediate effect.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Disgusting... Carr is a f**king cancer on this sport and i hope the IC removes him from any power. Absolutely disgraceful decision

if someone can explain to me how forcing the death of either the Riverina's entire junior representative system or a thriving area like Souths-Logan is good for the game of RL, then ill eat my hat

Absolutely appalling decision, that only damages the game and does nothing to strengthen RL either in QLD, NSW, ACT or help its growth... this decision will serve only to send the Riverina's best talents to other codes

Kudos Carr, you f**king c**k sucker, i hope you get hit by a f**king bus. This code pays your f**king rent and you make short sighted damaging decisions such as this to prove that you still have some power. Absolutely disgusting... how does he sleep at night?

Raider_69

Post Whore
I say that the CRJRL should withdraw membership of the the NSWRL with immediate effect.

Agreed, they should cop the loss, send our boys up state and link up with QLD, so the next Laurie Daley, Brett Mullins, Brad Clydes, Josh Dugans, David Furners etc are all playing for the Maroons.

skeepe

Immortal
geoff_carr-600x400.jpg

AFL's best friend in the Riverina and ACT, Mr Geoffrey Carr

Latest posts