What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah that will teach them a lesson. How many clubs are as junior focused as the Raiders. This is an absurd punishment all because the Raiders refused to play the game the Sydney clubs wanted to play over reserve grade. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander. If Sydney clubs wanted to kill of reserve grade to save money then why the f**k should the Raiders have to pay MORE money because of this action.

It is absurd, and it is unfair. The Raiders should not care about the state of the NSW cup at all. They certainly should not be in the business of allowing their reserve grade players and juniors into contact with a joint venture with another NRL club. That is madness of the highest order. There have been no feasible or fair situations put forward. Funding a team from scratch is unfair as it is an additional burden upon the Raiders that no other club faces (at least to my knowledge) and joint venturing with the Dragons is utter madness and dumb and stupid and crazy and moronic and any other word you can think of to describe something stupid.

The Raiders really should just offer scholarships to the best players they come across so they end up playing for Queensland. If the NSWRL wants to play a dumb game with kids the Raiders should play back just as hard. These are kids we are talking about. The future of our game.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Well why should Manly OR the Raiders have to do that. It is an unfair burden upon two clubs that other clubs don't need to face. That is bullsh*t.

Big Pete

Referee
What about Auckland?

Pretty sure Melbourne has their own NSW Cup side too, now that the Knights have taken the Central Coast - or at least did. Unsure what they're doing these days, talk was they were going to join the East Tigers in the Queensland Cup before a talk of a joint NSW Cup venture with Cronulla.

Honestly, can't we scrap the NSW Cup and just make the Toyota Cup no age limits?

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
It's next to useless and generally stagnates players from making their claims in first grade because they play with a bunch of strangers who are completely indifferent to him because he's a first grader.

By having a national reserve grade competition you nip that problem in the bud.

LeagueInsider

Juniors
A massive part of this whole issue has been largely forgotten. As of June 30 this year, the 'Dual Registration' rule that has allowed players to cross borders within seasons in the past is scrapped... so Raiders contracted players (in NSW... And yes I know they are nthe ACT but they are a NSWRL member club) who are still playing for Souths-Logan will be ineligible to play NRL football for the Raiders after June 30.

I don't know about you, but if I was a fringe first grader and busted my butt at training each and everyday since the pre-season in the hope of forcing my way into first grade at season's end... Only to be denied that chance after June 30 because my club chooses to send me to QLD every weekend rather than the alternative, I reckon I would be pretty pissed off!

People keep making the argument that the NRL is the ultimate aim, this move not only denies those Juniors who have now been banned but also at least half a dozen fringe NRL players to wear the lime green.

To clarify the Melbourne situation, in 2011 they are splitting players between the Q-Cup (Easts) and NSW Cup (Cronulla) but unlike Canberra can do so because they are a Victorian based club and not a NSWRL membered affiliate. The Vulcans could also play in the Q-Cup if they felt inclined but choose to compete in the NSW Cup.

murraymob

Coach
Well why should Manly OR the Raiders have to do that. It is an unfair burden upon two clubs that other clubs don't need to face. That is bullsh*t.

and you think its fair that the other clubs are already fielding clubs in the competition and now have extra costs of ball and mathews that the raiders dont have

franklin2323

Immortal
The NSWCRL should field Mathews and Ball teams from the best talent drawn from the Riverina, Queanbeyan and the Monaro disticts (after all they are all NSW areas).
I would have no problem with this given CRL partially fund these teams through Canberra. Look at it from NSWRL. If they are helping fund players. If they don't make the NRL they would want them in NSWRL run comp. Pete Cash. I could handle that if that was what the club felt was their best course of action. I hope it works out but it seems like they want a foot in both camps. Big Pete. They should have both lower grades running. Toyota Cup doesnt make money but with the tv coverage & sponsorships it about covers costs. The Ic hopefully fixes this as QRL & NSWRL don't want

Big Pete

Referee
I hope it works out but it seems like they want a foot in both camps. Big Pete.

Not really, sounds like they want to save money and link with a Qld Cup club they have prior history with.

Having a foot in both camps would be like the Rabbits back in the day - and they should be encouraged to do that, it's how talent like Dave Tyrell was discovered.

Spitty

Juniors
This is just stupid.

Carr conceding that Canberra could send just 4 players to Shellharbour is all the evidence you need.

How on gods green earth are 4 players, playing for Shellharbour going to strengthen the NSW Cup?

Canberra called NSWRL's bluff, which forced the NSWRL to act. Now the NSWRL realise that they are the big losers, so they are negotiating down to a ridiculous level which makes little if any difference to what the status quo was. Effectively the NSWRL have lost the argument, but are trying to save some face.

What a joke.

R2Coupe

Juniors
By the NSWCRL fielding teams, young players in both side would have the opportunity to be picked up by NRL sides.

This would provided the NSWCRL with a source of income as NRL clubs signing these players could pay a transfer fee and development costs incurred by the NSWCRL.

With the network of scouts available to the NSWCRL, the identification of outstanding talent from traditionally strong rl areas should be easy.

By the NSWCRL fielding teams, young players in both side would have the opportunity to be picked up by NRL sides.

This would provided the NSWCRL with a source of income as NRL clubs signing these players could pay a transfer fee and development costs incurred by the NSWCRL.

With the network of scouts available to the NSWCRL, the identification of outstanding talent from traditionally strong rl areas should be easy.

Actually this is a great idea...and it should cover a wider area of country NSW and be in addition to Raiders also fielding Matts and SG Ball. I know lots of kids desperate to play Mats and SG Ball in Canberra but were squeezed out by the limits on the size of the squads. R2's proposal would give them and country kids more opportunity. Let's broaden the pathway for talented young athletes to play our game at the elite level. God knows the AFL is throwing millions of dollars trying to attract young kids to their sport in our region. Now's the time for league to up the ante, not withdraw opportunities for kids.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Not really, sounds like they want to save money and link with a Qld Cup club they have prior history with.

Having a foot in both camps would be like the Rabbits back in the day - and they should be encouraged to do that, it's how talent like Dave Tyrell was discovered.

They can do that by sending players back and forth for pre-season training like souths did with Brisbane Easts. It seems like they want to use NSWRL and CRL's money for the good junior development only to get a better offer for the senior team.

Given there's no Dual registration come July 1. I don't know where the excess will play as if they go to SL they can't play NRL.

Hopefully the IC puts a national Reserve grade comp in. Neither NSW or QLD RL's wanted to weaken their state cups by starting one. Now they have no say bring it on

skeepe

Immortal
Can someone tell me why playing in the Queensland Cup will stop players playing for Canberra in the NRL? Why are player registrations held by the NSWRL for Canberra and not by the NRL? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Why the f**k should they. The goal of each Rugby League club in the NRL is to win the NRL premiership not to prop up some relic of the past.

What the Raiders should do is to take the most promising players in their catchment and send them to Souths Logan on scholarships so the next Josh Dugan, Todd Carney, etc is SOO locked to Queensland.

Yes but the Raiders only seem to want that "relic of the past" if and when it suits them, i.e. for SG Ball and Harold Matts. And the NSWRL quite rightly told the Raiders to F-off.

I think the NSWRL should run and fund it's own Canberra or Southern NSW teams thru the CRL like they do with SW Sydney Academy and Western Sydney Academy.

Last edited:

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Yeah that will teach them a lesson. How many clubs are as junior focused as the Raiders. This is an absurd punishment all because the Raiders refused to play the game the Sydney clubs wanted to play over reserve grade. What is good for the goose should be good for the gander. If Sydney clubs wanted to kill of reserve grade to save money then why the f**k should the Raiders have to pay MORE money because of this action.

It is absurd, and it is unfair. The Raiders should not care about the state of the NSW cup at all. They certainly should not be in the business of allowing their reserve grade players and juniors into contact with a joint venture with another NRL club. That is madness of the highest order. There have been no feasible or fair situations put forward. Funding a team from scratch is unfair as it is an additional burden upon the Raiders that no other club faces (at least to my knowledge) and joint venturing with the Dragons is utter madness and dumb and stupid and crazy and moronic and any other word you can think of to describe something stupid.

The Raiders really should just offer scholarships to the best players they come across so they end up playing for Queensland. If the NSWRL wants to play a dumb game with kids the Raiders should play back just as hard. These are kids we are talking about. The future of our game.

The Raiders shouldn't care? They already don't care!

Yes but the Raiders only seem to want that "relic of the past" if and when it suits them, i.e. for SG Ball and Harold Matts. And the NSWRL quite rightly told the Raiders to F-off.

I think the NSWRL should run and fund it's own Canberra or Southern NSW teams thru the CRL like they do with SW Sydney Academy and Western Sydney Academy.

At the end of the day I would prefer this to zero junior representative football in our region. We're just giving AFL an armchair ride down here otherwise.