What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

(KW)

Juniors
Geoff Carr backed down enormoausly when put under the scrutiny of Tim Gavel on ABC radio. He has now said the raiders only need to supply 4 players to shellharbour, and then the rest can go to souths logan.

So all we need to do is go down to the kippax tavern, find 4 blokes who would be willing to drive down to the gong / sydney every weekend for a game of footy, and we'll reimburse them by providing them with a car and $100 spending money each per weekend.

And then we can get back to the our core business of finding, developing and unleashing NRL stars from Southern NSW and the ACT.

KW

franklin2323

Immortal
I heard that as well. Carr didn't explain how that would work with the Dual rego ban? So I don't know how it would work

greeneyed

First Grade
Carr has already thrown out the "dual registration" ban, by saying on Saturday that the Raiders only had to place four players with Shellharbour and the NSWRL would allow the rest of the surplus players to go to Souths Logan. And no wonder, because he knows the Independent Commission wouldn't enforce such a ridiculous rule, especially when it doesn't apply to other NRL clubs.

Raider_69

Post Whore
he also probably has come to realise that anyone with any interest in the growth of the game is condemning the decision, and the IC will likely be people who have interest in the growth of the game... so softening his stance is likely to only way he keeps a job long term

f**king prat, hope the IC sh*t can him regardless, senile, useless old fraud

skeepe

Immortal
The NSWRL have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

Thursday last week, the NSWRL tells the Raiders in writing that all fringe players must be sent to Shellharbour and there can be no players sent to Souths Logan.

Saturday last week, Geoff Carr appears on radio and says in an interview that a mutually agreeable position, such as the Raiders sending 4 fringe players to Shellharbour and the rest to Souths Logan will see the junior teams reinstated. Don Furner fumes as he was told in no uncertain terms that this was not possible previously (see above).

Tuesday this week, the NSWRL write to the Raiders and reiterate the stance that all fringe players must be sent to Shellharbour, and none may be sent to Souths Logan.

Wednesday, it emerges that the Dragons' deal with Shellharbour may fall through, and as a result no Shellharbour team would be entered into the NSW Cup and the Dragons may send their players to the Illawarra league. The NSWRL indicates that despite the fact that it looks like they may not participate in the NSW Cup (a requirement for invitation to the junior leagues as stated on countless occasions), they will still be allowed to enter teams into SG Ball and Harold Mats. They are a Sydney team after all.

Seriously, what an inept organisation. They have publicly gone on record saying one thing would be acceptable, while directly contradicting that in writing on two occasions.

The NSWRL do not know what they are doing. They are a moribund, decrepit organisation that have absolutely no interest in what is best for the game, only what is best for Sydney.

Last edited:

LeagueInsider

Juniors
You still going on about this? It would appear that NO thread has begun in the 'Canberra Raiders' forum, which leads me to believe that only yourself and a handful of other imbo's that have taken the time to comment hear really care about this from a Raiders perspective which is a said indictment on your fan base and club to be brutally honest... And why shouldn't the Dragons/Illawarra still play Jnr Reps?? If indeed the Dragons don't filter to the Southern Marlins (which they will) at least they are not jumping on a plane and f**king off to QLD (OHHH thats right, the Dragons don't own a leagues club in QLD so they have no ulterior motive to do that)..they would be playing in a NSWRL registered comp in Illawarra (some 1200km's from the QLD border)

Raider_69

Post Whore
You still going on about this? It would appear that NO thread has begun in the 'Canberra Raiders' forum, which leads me to believe that only yourself and a handful of other imbo's that have taken the time to comment hear really care about this from a Raiders perspective which is a said indictment on your fan base and club to be brutally honest...

there is about 3 raiders fans on this board that post in the raiders section here, most online raiders fans post on another site, and there is a lengthy topic about the issue... you f**king peanut.

Rocket

Juniors
Well I can assure you that I am no Canberra Raiders fan and I suspect many of them probably don't even know their club has U16 and U18 teams. But as a new secretary for one of the Canberra junior clubs that had players selected for the HM squad I am concerned for the game of Rugby League in our region.

This type of pathway for our elite players of the future should not be a political bargaining chip. We are having a hard enough time getting new players into the game without this sort of sh*t.

So personally I don't think the issue is NSWRL vs Raiders and by making this argument about which side was right misses the biggest point which is that the way the game has been administered and structured in this country is a throwback to a bygone era.

Other codes and sports are running rings around us. I applaude efforts by the local clubs to get a girl's junior comp running in Canberra and will be doing everything in my power for our club to field a team next year. We need to do more though, lots more.

So bring on the IC and let's do a ground up rethink of our game and relegate this sort of anachronistic mexican stand-off back to the stone age where it belongs.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
You still going on about this? It would appear that NO thread has begun in the 'Canberra Raiders' forum, which leads me to believe that only yourself and a handful of other imbo's that have taken the time to comment hear really care about this from a Raiders perspective which is a said indictment on your fan base and club to be brutally honest... And why shouldn't the Dragons/Illawarra still play Jnr Reps?? If indeed the Dragons don't filter to the Southern Marlins (which they will) at least they are not jumping on a plane and f**king off to QLD (OHHH thats right, the Dragons don't own a leagues club in QLD so they have no ulterior motive to do that)..they would be playing in a NSWRL registered comp in Illawarra (some 1200km's from the QLD border)

I take it that the fact that the NSWRL seems to be unable to reach a consistent position on this matter themselves, or if that's not the case, that the public face of the NSWRL, Geoff Carr, deliberately lied to the public about this issue doesn't concern you at all then?

Delboy

First Grade
At the end of the day, I think the Raiders should support the NSW comp. On the other hand, I am not sure that many agree that the junior reps should be made to suffer.

The overage players need a pathway and the NSW Cup is the best programme if supported properly.

I think we have both sides of this decision behaving poorly, Raiders should play in NSW Cup but perhaps they could give a commitment to be there in 2012 and spend the time getting the programme in order to do it.

We have a different situation in the Parra Junior League where I am involved, other city clubs turnign up at every trial to grab good kids, same for the Panthers. 50% of the Many and Roosters teams come form the western suburbs.

Spitty

Juniors
I 100% agree that Canberra should be playing in the NSW Cup. But it doesn't take too much imagination to think of better punishments than to tell kids they can't play at the elite level of there respective age groups.

Obviously the NSWRL have no support from the NRL for their stance. Otherwise their would be NRL playing bans on any Canberra player who plays in the Qld Cup.

You can ban Canberra players who play in the Qld Cup from playing again in the NSW Cup for 2 years. Any player coming off contract with Canberra would think twice about playing for Souths Logan, because it effectively limits the clubs they can sign with the following year.

Canberra can do without 1 year of jnr reps, but they'll struggle to mount an NRL campaign without fringe players playing regular footy. At least that way the club is punished, not the kids.

An even better plan is to allow Canberra to phase a NSW Cup team in. Allow them to adjust the budget over a couple of years so that by say 2013 they can afford to have one. An increased NRL grant from increased TV deal and cost streamlining from the IC would make this ploy much more viable.

At the end of the day:
Newcastle, Manly, Easts, Souths, Cronulla, St George, Parramatta and Penrith all can't afford to 100% fund a NSW Cup side. What makes us think Canberra can.

skeepe

Immortal
At the end of the day:
Newcastle, Manly, Easts, Souths, Cronulla, St George, Parramatta and Penrith all can't afford to 100% fund a NSW Cup side. What makes us think Canberra can.

This is the point we've been trying to make.

The Shellharbour exercise was really only an option because the NSWRL wanted Canberra to fill in the shortfall from St George scaling back their commitment to the side because - shock horror - they can't afford it.

The Raiders have consistently maintained that they will link with a NSW Cup side if the NSWRL can give them a viable option. The NSWRL have shown no interest in doing that, and given that they seem to flip flop daily between what they actually want from the Raiders, I can't blame the club for not playing their games.

LeagueInsider

Juniors
Im still waiting to here from one of you Raiders fans RE: The FACT.. AND IT IS FACT, that the Raiders group OWN the Souths-Logan Leagues Club!

Do you not concede that this is a massive conflict of interests on their behalf when this issue keeps getting raised?

Would the Raiders continue to 'support' the Q-Cup so actively if this what not the case?

I doubt it somehow...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Im still waiting to here from one of you Raiders fans RE: The FACT.. AND IT IS FACT, that the Raiders group OWN the Souths-Logan Leagues Club!

Do you not concede that this is a massive conflict of interests on their behalf when this issue keeps getting raised?

Would the Raiders continue to 'support' the Q-Cup so actively if this what not the case?

I doubt it somehow...

So what? Thats is one of the many reasons I would imagine the Raiders would want to keep it's ties with Souths Logan. The Raiders relationship with Souths Logan long pre-dates the investment in the Leagues Club. But again........so what? They're a business after all. Not to mention the investment was made long before NSWRL started making it's threats. It's fair game IMO.

But good for you. You stumbled across a bit of information that we all know and acted like it was the most earth-shaking bit of evidence in this case. It turns out to be pretty useless but good for you sport.

Doesn't change the fact the NSWRL has done nothing but punish a group of kids who love Rugby League. The Raiders will continue to produce talented juniors but the only difference is now they will be eligible to play for QLD.

*golf clap for Mr Carr*

greeneyed

First Grade

I doubt it somehow...

This shows how little you know about this, you should just stop embarassing yourself. The Raiders do not own the Souths Logan Leagues Club. The Magpies club is owned by the Magpies. The Raiders own a sports club in Logan and one in Toowoomba.

Those Raiders clubs in Queensland have a legal obligation to support local sport and community clubs, which they do.

I don't see how it is a "conflict of interest" even if they did own the Magpies club.

The Raiders are supporting junior development in both the ACT and southern NSW and in the Souths Logan district in Queensland, and want to continue to do so. It just shows how much the Raiders put into junior development, much more than many of the Sydney clubs.

Anyway, the latest position from the NSWRL has led to 60 ACT and NSW country junior players with no junior reps comp to participate in. The under 18s will participate in the Canberra Raiders Cup instead. The under 16s will have a few matches in country carnivals. The Raiders have said they will withdraw from the NSWRL, so their surplus overage players can still play at Souths Logan. And in the long term, I expect more players will be qualifying for Queensland, as the best of the Raiders juniors probably will be put into the Meninga and Connell Cups in Queensland.

So well done to the NSWRL. The end result is a worse one for rugby league and NSW rugby league in particular.

LeagueInsider

Juniors
Walt, I have nothing left to say on the matter. Feel free to head back and see (criticize) all of my previous posts, but I am over the entire thing to be brutally honest.

From day one I have felt an amazing amount of empathy for the kids and families involved and very little for either of the parties (NSWRL and Canberra).

My old man works for the League so I can see their point of view while I have spent some time in the ACT and still have mates there and the club is a club I will always have a soft spot for... but lets face it, this is an outcome where no one is a winner... But at the same time I hate coming on here and seeing every bloke and his dog kicking the League in the guts because despite this situation and perhaps some questionable leadership at times, there are a number of employees who do an amazing job right around the state for the most part.

It is a shame that the work of so many appears to be sullied by so few is all

greeneyed

First Grade
I can assure you that there is universal condemnation of the NSWRL for this decision round the ACT. The Local Grandstand program had a flood of calls, emails and SMSs last weekend when this was discussed, all negative about the NSWRL. You have personal connections to someone who works at the NSWRL, fine, but don't pretend these are isolated views. The NSWRL is being called out for a woeful decision, and so it should. It is truly disgraceful what they are doing, and those responsible should stand down.