What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Clubs forced out of QLD Cup

mono_mal

Juniors
Raiders fans criticising the NSWRL'S decision for the disservice to Raiders juniors should consider this:
Whilst the Raiders continue to field their feeder in the QLD Cup juniors from the Canberra District are being denied the opportunity to progress through the grades into a Raiders NRL jersey. The Raiders are effectively sending excess NRL squad members to the QLD Cup whilst filling remaining squad positions with local Queenslander. These positions would likely be given to Canberra juniors if Canberra was to field a team in the NSW Cup and would provide a direct link between the junior reps, NYC and NSW Cup.
As a Raiders fan and a fan of the NSW Cup competition I support the NSWRL's decision.

Broncos93

Juniors
I read somewhere that the Raiders SG Ball side will be playing in the local A grade competition in 2011. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this standard of competition be similar, if not better, than playing in the SG Ball comp? They'll still be playing in a much higher standard than normal club level for their age group, and will get used to facing much bigger opponents. My 17's team played our club A grade this year, and even as one of the better 17's teams in the district, we still got spanked. Now obviously my club 17's team wouldn't be up to the standard of the Raiders Sg Ball team, but it would still provide a huge challenge week in week out for them.

Also, assuming that the better players in the team will be signed up by the raiders to play NYC anyway, what changes as a result of them not playing in SG Ball? They'll still be in the sight of the club and the coaches, and will still be playing at a higher standard. The only thing I can see changing as a result of the NSWRL's decision is that the Raiders juniors won't be in the sights of rival clubs and won't be able to be poached, and perhaps a few of the glory hunters will jump ship to a play reps for union or AFL.

CoachMan

Juniors
I guess it could work out alright for the Raiders. The only thing I can see unaccounted for is what will happen to the Canberra local U18s comp. I'm sure a fair number of teams would be based around these players coming back. Obviously they all want their kids to step up to the next level, but now these players will be completely unavailable for their clubs

mono_mal

Juniors
Interesting regarding the SG Ball players playing A-grade.
The WA Reds played trial matches against WARL first grade teams last season and were evenly matched.
It would be disapointing for Harold Matthews players though perhaps the Raiders could organise an internal competition prior to club seasons involving an extended Development squad.

RL Tragic

Juniors
Now that the decision has been made wouldn't it be best to come up with a solution that gets these kids back playing SG Ball etc. People always talk about money for a NSW Cup team - Cronulla are the perfect example they run their team on the smell of an oily rag and last season did not even have a team or players until early Jan but still went on and made the final eight. Whilst I am sure there are probably better options but what about Canberra keeping their interest with Souths Logan but having their own team in the NSW Cup also or try with Goulbourn again whilst it may not be the strongest team in the comp it would be surprising the quality of player that would want an opportunity. The NSW Cup would also become a better product in terms of promotion and marketing with teams in Regional areas eg Canberra, Illawarra (St George), Newcastle, Central Coast etc. Hopefully they all get back to the negotiating table soon.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Now that the decision has been made wouldn't it be best to come up with a solution that gets these kids back playing SG Ball etc. People always talk about money for a NSW Cup team - Cronulla are the perfect example they run their team on the smell of an oily rag and last season did not even have a team or players until early Jan but still went on and made the final eight. Whilst I am sure there are probably better options but what about Canberra keeping their interest with Souths Logan but having their own team in the NSW Cup also or try with Goulbourn again whilst it may not be the strongest team in the comp it would be surprising the quality of player that would want an opportunity. The NSW Cup would also become a better product in terms of promotion and marketing with teams in Regional areas eg Canberra, Illawarra (St George), Newcastle, Central Coast etc. Hopefully they all get back to the negotiating table soon.

The deal with Goulburn is not financially viable... same deal with St George and Shellharbour

btw interestingly enough, the dragons look likely to be sending their excess players to the local illawarra comp, because surprise surprise, shellharbour is not a financially viable solution for them. Not a whisper of them being excluded from SG Ball or Matts.... so the question becomes, what problem does Carr have with the Raiders and why is he bringing a personal grudge into his decision making at the detriment to this game and its grass roots system.

franklin2323

Immortal
The deal with Goulburn is not financially viable... same deal with St George and Shellharbour

btw interestingly enough, the dragons look likely to be sending their excess players to the local illawarra comp, because surprise surprise, shellharbour is not a financially viable solution for them. Not a whisper of them being excluded from SG Ball or Matts.... so the question becomes, what problem does Carr have with the Raiders and why is he bringing a personal grudge into his decision making at the detriment to this game and its grass roots system.

The Dragons arent sending the players interstate. That's the difference. The excess could play in the local A Grade comp & that would be fine

R2Coupe

Juniors
There is a great opportunity for the NSWCRL to step in and provide teams at Matt, SG Ball and even NSW Cup levels. After all, these areas are NSW Country and the concept an ACT based team has call on juniors from Queanbeyan, Monaro and the Riverina is just BS.

Players in the CRL teams would the be exposed to NRL scouts and link up with teams at the end of the respective comp. Transfer and development fees would be paid by NRL teams to the CRL which would assist country teams in developing players.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm sorry, but you believe it's ridiculous that an ACT based team has call on juniors from Queanbeyan?

Do you know how far Queanbeyan is from Canberra? Do you have any idea about the history of rugby league in the region? What an absolutely mind-numbingly ridiculous thing to say.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Yes, I do.

And to think a Monaro team, which contained Larry Corowa and Percy Knight, defeated England and existed prior to the Raiders.

Gee, I thought we were supposed to feel gratitude towards the Raiders for the "junior development" in the area.

The area and juniors existed pre-Raiders.

Next time you look at a map, you may understand NSW is a State which is not governed from the ACT.

The idea of the Raiders attempting to take the high moral ground is repugnant.

By the way, how far is is Wodonga from Albury?

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Yes, I do.

And to think a Monaro team, which contained Larry Corowa and Percy Knight, defeated England and existed prior to the Raiders.

Gee, I thought we were supposed to feel gratitude towards the Raiders for the "junior development" in the area.

The area and juniors existed pre-Raiders.

Next time you look at a map, you may understand NSW is a State which is not governed from the ACT.

The idea of the Raiders attempting to take the high moral ground is repugnant.

By the way, how far is is Wodonga from Albury?

You are a complete dead sh*t mate.
No one has ever said RL in canberra was created by the raiders but to be arguing that the region will not suffer or arguing that we shouldnt be drawing on talent from those areas is frankly ridiculous, and its so f**king ridiculous that you'd almost get a job at the NSWRL.

as for the QBN situation, get a clue mate. Wasting anymore time on that remark is an insult to all concerned.

R2Coupe

Juniors
If you have read my previous posts you would undestand my argument is the NSWCRL should run Matt, SG Ball and NSWCRL teams out of the Monaro, Queanbeyan and Riverina districts. These are traditional NSW junior districts and that is an inescapable fact.

All NRL clubs could then recruit from the teams subject to the payment of development and transfer fees to the NSWCRL.

You and the other Raiders groupies should not lecture on rugby league history. History will record how the Raiders sold out junior rugby league by joining SL. The Raiders also prefer to move a few players to Queensland rather than paying for and fielding a NSW Cup team and thereby provide 17 spots for junior development.

Last edited:

whatwhat

Juniors
If you have read my previous posts you would undestand my argument is the NSWCRL should run Matt, SG Ball and NSWCRL teams out of the Monaro, Queanbeyan and Riverina districts. These are traditional NSW junior districts and that is an inescapable fact.

All NRL clubs could then recruit from the teams subject to the payment of development and transfer fees to the NSWCRL.

You and the other Raiders groupies should not lecture on rugby league history. History will record how the Raiders sold out junior rugby league by joining SL. The Raiders also prefer to move a few players to Queensland rather than paying for and fielding a NSW Cup team and thereby provide 17 spots for junior development.

I didnt know Geoff posted on here.

skeepe

Immortal

I suppose the funding the Raiders give to the Canberra Raiders Cup, George Tooke Shield and CDJRL is "selling out" junior rugby league too is it? The aforementioned competitions include teams from Queanbeyan, Yass, Goulburn, Crookwell, Braidwood, Cooma, Harden, Binalong, Bungendore and so on, but hey you're right, the Raiders simply take from the region without ever giving anything back.

Pillock.

Raider Azz

Bench

Wow. you are more stupid than words could ever describe.

greeneyed

First Grade
17 spots for junior development? Actually, it is 17 spots for overage players who'll probably not make it to the NRL. That's the silly thing about this. The Raiders putting a team in the NSW Cup (which Sydney clubs are not forced to do, just look at what the Dragons are going to be allowed to do with no "penalty", just look at what many Sydney teams to) does nothing for "junior development".

The stupidity of some of the Sydney types here is extraordinary! As Nick said, give him a job at the NSWRL! (Except he probably already has a job there!)

R2Coupe

Juniors
Greeneyed, you wrote this earlier

This is a farce and the NSWRL are being idiots. NSW Cup is really fairly marginal in the big picture. It is not like it is creating any additional players for them for SOO... it is where older players who will never be up to NRL standard play, or is a spot for players to develop for a year or two if they can't step up from Toyota Cup immediately. The second function: doesn't really matter if the NSW players do that in Q Cup or NSW Cup does it? They are still NSW eligible players.

If all Clubs use the NSW Cup to place players who are too old for NYC and not ready for the NRL, you would imagine the standard of the competition would improve.

In writing this, the Raiders Club has the freedom to determine its future junior development pathway.

Using the St George Illawarra Dragons as an example is a poor choice as most would agree this merged club is a prolific producer of juniors.

As for the club I support, Wests and Bret compete in the NSW Cup. But the Raiders are special according to its groupies.

Last edited:

greeneyed

First Grade
And St George are special now? And the Raiders aren't prolific in junior development? The Raiders are one of the strongest clubs in terms of junior development.

The NSW Cup, honestly, it isn't so important that you cut off a whole area from junior development, which is what this decision has done. It's just disgraceful what the NSWRL is doing. In fact, I believe that what is done in junior development is far more important than the NSW Cup, because that is what generates the players. Whether a NRL club puts its overage players in Q Cup or NSW Cup is neither here nor there. The Raiders are generating potential NSW reps either way... oh, except maybe now they won't, cause the Raiders juniors have been closed down... and they are now likely to generate them for Qld.

Go figure how that is beneficial for NSW.

R2Coupe

Juniors
If the best argument you can raise is the supposed threat of players being eligible for Qld rather than NSW, your case is not strong.

The Raiders knew this day would come and I do feel very sorry for country players recruited to the Club.

greeneyed

First Grade
If your argument is, "they told you they'd do it", then that's a very sorry argument. The position of the NSWRL is stupid beyond belief. Stupid, because their "sanction" actually damages the NSWRL and rugby league. I also feel very sorry for the players who at present don't look like playing in the competition, but it is the ridiculous position of the NSWRL that is at fault.