What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup and NYC Squads

Kilkenny

Coach
Fair enough but would you agree apart from the 20s which has a long way to go that there has been a vast improvement on last year in the matts and ball results considering last years ball finished 12th in the season proper last year and considering the amount of injuries the ball had this year they played melbourne with three front rowers out two pulling out the friday before the game apparently.

I think the form of our SG Ball side of this season is a major concern. In past season's we have been fortunate in so much as there has been half a dozen players promoted once the Ball season has concluded. This season has seen Seika promoted to play out of position in the fullback role and an underage Tom Eisunhuth promoted to play in the back row. Yes the most talented of the Tia Kilifi's has been injured but the fact there is not more kids from the Ball side promoted to other poorly performing Toyota Cup side speaks volumes about where we are at currently. It's just disappointing overall, but at the same time just a blip which in time we will we surely rectify.

stretcher

Juniors
I think the form of our SG Ball side of this season is a major concern. In past season's we have been fortunate in so much as there has been half a dozen players promoted once the Ball season has concluded. This season has seen Seika promoted to play out of position in the fullback role and an underage Tom Eisunhuth promoted to play in the back row. Yes the most talented of the Tia Kilifi's has been injured but the fact there is not more kids from the Ball side promoted to other poorly performing Toyota Cup side speaks volumes about where we are at currently. It's just disappointing overall, but at the same time just a blip which in time we will we surely rectify.
Well i actually heard ten ball players are training up at the twenties so the oppotunities will come up for them if they lose any more games....

Kilkenny

Coach
Well i actually heard ten ball players are training up at the twenties so the oppotunities will come up for them if they lose any more games....

Stretch, no doubt they are training up as even if the majority of the ten don't graduate this season then they will form the nucleus of our next Toyota Cup side, next season. We may have to wait a season or two before we see a truly competitive Toyota Cup side again that's all I saying.

murraymob

Coach
kilkenny based on the windsor performance today who do you think can come into the team against the sharks.

jennings if he has surgery will be out of the game i would think
burns is carrying a injury and would be in doubt

for mine paulo needs a few more weeks at windsor.But they need to play him where he will play in first grade.At windsor he is 5/8 at penrith second row

wade graham in for burns if burns not right
then we have the centers perhaps tighe into centers walker up from windsor

Kilkenny

Coach
kilkenny based on the windsor performance today who do you think can come into the team against the sharks.

jennings if he has surgery will be out of the game i would think
burns is carrying a injury and would be in doubt

for mine paulo needs a few more weeks at windsor.But they need to play him where he will play in first grade.At windsor he is 5/8 at penrith second row

wade graham in for burns if burns not right
then we have the centers perhaps tighe into centers walker up from windsor

Paulo wore the number six jersey but played the entire 80 minutes at lock.

Graham wore number 19 and was 5/8th for the entire 80 minutes.

Clearly if Burns is injured then Graham will come straight in for Burns. Wade did hurt his left shoulder today in the first half and for a fleeting moment it didn't look good, but played out the game so can't be too much of an issue.

Look based on prior history, I think ME might fall back on past selections and pick Cooper in the centres. I can't see how ME will pick Walker when he has played all his game time for Windsor at fullback, it just wouldn't make any sense. If the coaching staff believed he was an option for centre/wing then why not select him there and groom him. If not Cooper, then the next obvious choice would be Shane Elford. Made a blue today in defence which led directly to one of the Auckland tries but otherwise was his usual very reliable self and scored a good try and made another clean line break.

Paulo stood out in the second half today and grew in confidence. Really wanted the ball and looked dangerous. Was just as good in defence. I can see why ME has been picking him in the top grade as he has potential he just needs to harness his potential. Confidence is clearly his issue and he lacks confidence in his own ability.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=25756

match report from nsw website

Tigers downed by Wolves
Balmain Media

17/05/2010 1:36:37 PM

The Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers are clinging to their position atop the NSW Cup competition table, after a heartbreaking loss to the Windsor Wolves 34-32 at Windsor Sporting Complex on Saturday.
The Tigers were first on the board after 8 minutes when front rower Eloni Vunakece crossed supporting a superb 30m break up the middle by hooker Ryan Carr. Fullback Sean Meaney converted to lead 6-0
Soon after their halfback Blake Lazarus was over out wide after Vunakece found himself in the thick of the action recovering a popped Windsor pass & the ball passed quickly through hands to Lazarus who sprinted through the line. Meaney’s conversion took the score to 12-0.
5 minutes later Tigers centre Brett Lane crossed out wide after five eighth Darren Nicholls put in a grubber that was spilled by Windsor & Lane was alert enough to regather & score. Meaney added the 2 points to extend their lead to 18-0.
With 17 minutes to go Windsor hooker Brad Clark scored under the posts some smart passing opened the Tigers up through the middle & Clark zipped over untouched. Five eighth Joseph Paulo converted to take the score to 18-6.
Soon after Nicholls crossed out wide showing great vision to spot a gap & take defenders over with him, with Meaney doing his bit to go ahead 24-6.
In the final 5 minutes before half time Wolves’ lock Nigel Plum barged over from close range off a penalty tap & centre Chevy Penehoe took advantage of good ballwork & short Tigers’ defence to score out wide to make a game of it at half time 24-18.
Early in the second half Wolves’ winger Sandor Earl touched down out wide taking a superb uncontested bomb, however Paulo’s conversion went wide & the lead was cut to 24-22.
Windsor bombed their next 2 try scoring opportunities which would have put them into the lead & the Tigers took advantage of this next time they were in Windsor territory as winger Lee Bennett swooped on a bouncing bomb 10m out from the line & scooted along the touchline to slide over. Meaney couldn’t convert & the score was 28-22.
With 19 minutes remaining Meaney grabbed a 4-pointer in the left hand corner following good leadup work from replacement Arana Taumata which allowed replacement Matt Ryan to work a short blind with Meaney. Again he failed to convert but they went further ahead 32-22.
Soon after Windsor replied with another barge-over try off a penalty close to the Tigers’ line & Paulo’s conversion closed it up to 32-28.
At this point high drama ensued at the ground with an electrical fault that resulted in a partial lighting failure at Windsor’s end of the ground, the ground announcer’s microphone shutting down & most critically, the scoreboard clock freezing with 16 minutes 47 seconds left in the game.
It was under these trying conditions that Windsor made their move & with 8 minutes left to play, sustained pressure on the Tigers’ line saw the defence finally crack & Windsor scored to level the game. Another successful Paulo conversion put the Wolves in front for the first time 34-32.
The Wolves held on from this point & eventually ran out winners 34-32.
This loss & the defeat of Newtown by the Bulldogs has tightened things at the top of the table with the Bulldogs now joint leaders & the Western Suburbs Magpies just 1 point behind. Next week’s match against the Bulldogs now takes on even more importance following the results from the weekend.
Next week the Tigers are back at home taking on the Canterbury Bulldogs at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday commencing at 3pm. This should prove to be a challenging match & one to look forward to.

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
with elford out, youd assume tighe will take his place but hows the form of ryan walker been, ive heard hes one of if not the form fullback of the nsw cup, would he be out of the place on the wing, he was excellent there for the sunny coast in the qcup last year

Kilkenny

Coach
The Toyota Cup side endured another disappointing loss today, although it must be said they did reasonably well to recover from being 12-0 down after a handful of minutes.

Each time the Bunnies forged ahead the boys somehow clawed there way back with reaching distance. Alas they couldn't quite go on and secure a win but they tried and should be commended for there never say die attitude against a Bunnies side who just had that bit more flair and attacking menace.

Greg Waddell was a no show again, although I didn't get there until the 10 minute mark when we were already 14-0 down? I assume he was injured, again.

stretcher

Juniors
The Toyota Cup side endured another disappointing loss today, although it must be said they did reasonably well to recover from being 12-0 down after a handful of minutes.

Each time the Bunnies forged ahead the boys somehow clawed there way back with reaching distance. Alas they couldn't quite go on and secure a win but they tried and should be commended for there never say die attitude against a Bunnies side who just had that bit more flair and attacking menace.

Greg Waddell was a no show again, although I didn't get there until the 10 minute mark when we were already 14-0 down? I assume he was injured, again.
The biggest problem with the twenties is the middle core defence the front rowers need to work more because the two hookers ones a midget and the other one wont tackle and they both refuse to run the ball the hooker from the ball is a great defender and dynamite out of dummy half averaging 3or4 line breaks everytime i watched and if i was coaching against penrith i would be sending my big men and that midget all game surely the coach can see it but then again his a school teacher and he probably has taught the kid at some stage...

Kilkenny

Coach
The biggest problem with the twenties is the middle core defence the front rowers need to work more because the two hookers ones a midget and the other one wont tackle and they both refuse to run the ball the hooker from the ball is a great defender and dynamite out of dummy half averaging 3or4 line breaks everytime i watched and if i was coaching against penrith i would be sending my big men and that midget all game surely the coach can see it but then again his a school teacher and he probably has taught the kid at some stage...

Mate, I don't know what the answer is but I tend to think the answer lies in the fact the current crop of Under 20/s simply isn't good enough and no coach or amount of coaching can rectify the deficiences in the playing group. They just don't have it. Few of the group will be around after this season other than the one's who are still only 18 or 19.

Fibroman

First Grade
Maybe the wealth of talent we have at Mt Druitt just isn't as good as the talent in the eastern suburbs where the kids get fed properly?

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe the wealth of talent we have at Mt Druitt just isn't as good as the talent in the eastern suburbs where the kids get fed properly?

I thought the Roosters side had a number of Panthers juniors. There junior rep sides normally do from the open trials they conduct each season.

I recall last season there Matthews side comprehensively beat our Matthews side and a substantial number of the players were from the Glenmore Park club. I was sitting next to there parents who were all kitted out in Glenmore Park tracksuit tops. I was talking to one of the dads who made the joke there were so many Penrith juniors in the side they were thinking of holding training sessions at Chapman Gardens so the majority of parents and kids didn't have to travel to far.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
with elford out, youd assume tighe will take his place but hows the form of ryan walker been, ive heard hes one of if not the form fullback of the nsw cup, would he be out of the place on the wing, he was excellent there for the sunny coast in the qcup last year

He must be injured cos he didn't play last week and hasn't been named this week. Ali Beale took his place and was the besty player on the field followed closely by Graham yet again ME was at him playing with himself instead of watching

franklin2323

Immortal

Mate it was outstanding we knocked on off the kick off they scored from the scrum. Too many rubbish players most are still eligible next year so hopefully they develop more over the next 12 months

BOMAR

Juniors
He must be injured cos he didn't play last week and hasn't been named this week. Ali Beale took his place and was the besty player on the field followed closely by Graham yet again ME was at him playing with himself instead of watching
I notice ali beale is playing nsw cup, I thought I read somewhere that he was released from the club for disciniplary reasons.
Also noticed Mat Moylan is not in the side is he injured or has he been dropped.

franklin2323

Immortal
I notice ali beale is playing nsw cup, I thought I read somewhere that he was released from the club for disciniplary reasons.
Also noticed Mat Moylan is not in the side is he injured or has he been dropped.

Yeah Beale was let go. He came back much like Jake Friend was no pay can't train with the Penrith squad til he has under gone counselling but can play for Windsor

Moylan had ice an his calf after the game he on the extended bench hopefully he plays as he has been reasonable in a poor team this year

Kilkenny

Coach
We haven't had much luck with the Beales.

Kurtley to the Waratahs.

William went walkabout, came back and nout sure what his status is at the moment although did play a few SG Ball games for us at the back end of the season.

Ali off field issues and in no mans land.

All very talented kids, but we haven't been able to quite harness there obvious ability to our advantage.

Latest posts