What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup

Megalodon

Juniors
Quigs,

We're talking about a society that has the attention span of a gnat. Even T20 "cricket" is too drawn out for some.

Hopefully the re-working of the competition tiers sees a return to a genuine reserve grade.

Saturday's game was ugly. Way too many errors across the park. Tim Smith was woeful - probably about 18 points worth of squandered opportunity in him alone.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Usually the NSWRL organise the NSW Cup Schedule and the NRL do the NRL and NYC schedule. They are not done in conjunction with each other.

It's not something that the clubs have much of a say about that I'm aware of.

The Popper

Bench
Yep. I'd love to have the old three grades again, Quigs. You could make a day of it and watch the up and comers progress through the ranks. These days NYC seldom has a link to NRL the difference in standars between this and also to the NSW Cup is as wide as the Sydney heads. To me, NSW Cup standard appears to be midway between NRL and local park A grade.

Feej

First Grade
I used to love getting to the ground at 12 for all three grades. Remember watching guys like Docking and Matt Rogers coming up through the grades.

Quigs

Immortal
Good memories too. The old third grade where the old hard heads roamed, just wanting to have a run. Their best behind them, but still enjoying a bit of fun.

Teaching the young blokes the art of the biff.

imasharkie

Coach
NSW Cup:
Sharks v North Sydney Bears
Saturday, August 20
North Sydney Oval 3.00pm

1. Jason McGrady
2. Kose Lelei
3. Dean Collis
4. RickY Leutele
5. John Williams
6. Scott Porter
7. Tim Smith
8. Siosaia Vave
9. Stuart Flanagan
10. Sione Kite
11. Trent Grubb
12. Ben Pomeroy
13. Broderick Wright
14. Andrew Clayton
15. Ben Tupou
16. Daniel Perkins
17. Jarred Farlow
20. Jack Afamasaga

Who is Ben Tupou?
Is he related to our Tupou?
Is he with us or Storm?

imasharkie

Coach
1. Billy Slater 2. Sisa Waqa 3. Dane Nielsen 4. Beau Champion 5. Anthony Quinn 6. Maurice Blair 7. Gareth Widdop
8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith (c) 10. Bryan Norrie 11. Adam Blair 12. Sika Manu 13. Kevin Proctor

Interchange: 14. Rory Kostjasyn 15. Ryan Hinchcliffe 16. Troy Thompson 17. Jaiman Lowe

I listed the Storm side with the NSW cup players highlighted.
Bellamy isn't afraid to use his reserve graders in 1st grade, unlike our coach and where are we compared to Storm on the ladder.

1. Billy Slater 2. Sisa Waqa 3. Dane Nielsen 4. Beau Champion 5. Anthony Quinn 6. Maurice Blair 7. Gareth Widdop
8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith (c) 10. Bryan Norrie 11. Adam Blair 12. Sika Manu 13. Kevin Proctor

Interchange: 14. Rory Kostjasyn 15. Ryan Hinchcliffe 16. Troy Thompson 17. Jaiman Lowe

I listed the Storm side with the NSW cup players highlighted.
Bellamy isn't afraid to use his reserve graders in 1st grade, unlike our coach and where are we compared to Storm on the ladder.

Bellamy doesnt play the highlighted players willy nilly, only through injury or Rep weeks - so whats the point?

webShark

Bellamy doesnt play the highlighted players willy nilly, only through injury or Rep weeks - so whats the point?

Bellamy knows what he is doing.

I slighty disagree about only playing highlighted rep players due to rep weeks or injury. Blair featured quite a lot and Champion constantly overlooked. That was a big call. There were many on the forum saying Storm got the better of the Champion/Inglis exchange. Bellamy didnt and Champion was packed off to NSW Cup.

Under massive pressure to meet the cap, Bellamy culled many players and recruited a bunch of nuffies. Reefy has highlighted our deficiences in recruitment. Well Bellamy/Storm recruited well (O'Neil,Duffie,Widdop,Hinchcliffe,Bromwich etc). Also the juniors are decent quality (Kelly for one). The Storm outfit made good decisions. Yes we all know they bent the rules. I doubt we would win the comp twice if we rorted the cap.

Must be a massive downer for those not selected for Storm first grade to join Sharks reserves. Anyone who can get decent performances weekly from Bryan Norrie knows how to coach.

We recruited Vave (who had great stats at the time). Know he cant even make our bench!! I dont know how you change the culture at the club but it is not good.

Poor coaching,lack of focus on recruitment and dire finances is not a good combination. I gave Flanno the benefit of the doubt until he extended Pom and signed Robson.Even being critical of that is hard on him as we dont know what they are being paid. I am in denial we actually pay Cordoba.

I know Jeremy Smith is a good asset but everyone except those running the Sharks thought we needed speedy backs. They havent changed their minds.Only back recruited is Jeff Robson. Oh I forgot Cooper is on his way the year after.

cb4

First Grade
NSW Cup:
Sharks v North Sydney Bears
Saturday, August 20
North Sydney Oval 3.00pm
1. Jason McGrady
2. Kose Lelei
3. Dean Collis
4. RickY Leutele
5. John Williams
6. Scott Porter
7. Tim Smith
8. Siosaia Vave
9. Stuart Flanagan
10. Sione Kite
11. Trent Grubb
12. Ben Pomeroy
13. Broderick Wright
14. Andrew Clayton
15. Ben Tupou
16. Daniel Perkins
17. Jarred Farlow
20. Jack Afamasaga

Who is Ben Tupou?
Is he related to our Tupou?
Is he with us or Storm?

Ben is Anthony's brother.
He was a mid season signing, got him around the same time we got Farlow.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
well he's been playing like one for a few years now, unfortunately at the expense of the Sharkies backline.

RL Tragic

Juniors
Sharks are now running 2nd after beating the Bears on the weekend. If you get a chance the top 4 teams are playing one another at Henson Park this Saturday. Sharks vs Auckland at 1pm and if the Sharks win they cement 2nd spot on the ladder (as Auckland are only 1 point behind them in 3rd spot) for the semi-finals followed by Canterbury vs Newtown at 3pm. With NRL away at the Cowboys its a good opportunity to support the Sharks at a traditional Rugby League ground and judge the standard of the competition at the same time.

RL Tragic

Juniors
After finishing 3rd in NSW Cup Cronulla get a home semi final against the North Sydney Bears this Sunday at Toyota Stadium at 3pm. Would be great to get a crowd down there to support them in their quest to win the competition. In the last round of the comp they beat Manly with John Mannah, Trent Grubb, Brod Wright, Scott Porter, Tim Smith, Daniel Perkins and Jase McGrady all playing well. Add Stapleton, Collis and Gordon to the team and it should be worth seeing.

In an article on NSWRL site -T Smith is apparantly playing for a contract extension?
Hope he can produce and get back to being in a fight for his position in Sharks NRL side.
Anyhow, GO YOU SHARKIES , this arvo!