What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Game 2 team

firechild

First Grade
If Buhrer only did nothing perhaps it'd be ok, but he threw it at Trexes feet on the last at a crucial time. Admittedly Carney was hiding at the time and Stewart isn't a viable option so he does have some excuses, but he puts it on Trexes chest and who knows at that distance maybe Trex fights his way over.

Carney was hiding all game, I don't think he wanted to get his hands on the ball. The pass was poor but Buhrer had noone to throw the ball to at that crucial time. NSW made good meters between 20m lines but they looked very poor on the few opportunities they got to attack the line. That was the fault of the halves, not the hookers.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Carney was hiding all game, I don't think he wanted to get his hands on the ball. The pass was poor but Buhrer had noone to throw the ball to at that crucial time. NSW made good meters between 20m lines but they looked very poor on the few opportunities they got to attack the line. That was the fault of the halves, not the hookers.
Bullshit. He had first man Merrin (from memory), second man Williams (who he threw the ball to at the ankles) and out the back he had Pearce on the left. I only watched the game live so I'll give him a pass on the Carney / Stewart right side of the field as I didn't see the options. A legit hooker would have been able to read the game and make the correct decision - which may well have been to hit Williams anyway - and then execute. Buhrer was out of his depth and I'm yet to find one non-Manly fan who thinks otherwise, just like I'm sure that prick Fulton is the only NSW official who thinks otherwise.

The other great comment from Manly fans is that he "tried hard". Well f**k me if that's all you need to do in Origin. Also sounds familiar from all the Newcastle fans in years past on Kidley "oh he tries hard though". Bra-f**king-vo he tries hard.

RABK

Referee
All the newcastle fans?

More likely to find you with your tongue up John Morris' asshole then ever find me give Gidley a compliment or excuse his selection.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Relatively happy with the starting 13. Would like to see Watmong + another prop come in for Burher and T-Rex. I don't mind Creagh as much on the bench if there's some more size.

No point giving up on Carney now either, need to think long term for once.

RABK

Referee
Woods might be the next best impact player we could put on for a 30-40 minute stint now we've lost Williams and Sims. He has a great offload and is a handful for the big boys in the ruck let alone running a little wider at the smaller guys.

betcats

Referee
Keep choc for impact, His speed and footwork around the ruck is perfect to come on for the last 15 or so minutes of each half.

Squad doesn't need too many changes. Start fiddling with the combinations right now and Stuart will be going backwards a few steps to to re-educate. For once, NSW need to keep the bulk of a losing Game 1 side going into Game 2.

FB - B Stewart
RW - Uate
RC - J Morris
LC - Jennings
LW - Hayne
FE (R) - Carney
HB (L) - Pearce
DH - Farah
RF - G Stewart
LF - Lewis
MF - Bird
P - Gallen
P - Tamou
INT - Hinchcliffe
INT - Watmough
INT - Merrin
INT - Woods

evil_p091280

Juniors
Please name 1 good thing Merrin did on wednesday night.

All I saw was Topou come off, Merrin come on, and us lose all our go forward. Oh, and he also gave away a geniused 6 again knocking the ball out of the dummy half's hands.

Having said that, I'd say he will retain his spot now as the only changes to be made really are bringing in 2 more forwards to the bench and with T Rex injured then I can't see Merrin being one of the people let go.

Team will be the same as game 1, except with Watmough and Woods on the bench for the injured Lewis and Williams. Buhrer should make way for Hinchcliffe or someone else but wont

Have you checked the stats?

Merrin 38 minutes, 8 runs, 77m (avg 9.6m per run), 2 offloads, 1 tackle break. Made 30 tackles, 2 ineffective tackles, 1 error.

Tamou 42 minutes, 11 runs, 96m (avg 8.7m per run), 0 offloads, 3 tackle breaks. Made 22 tackles, 1 ineffective tackle, 0 error.

Reading these stats, Merrin had to do more defence so didnt get a chance for as many runs. Yet when he did run it, he made more ground, and also created second phase play.

Have you checked the stats?

Merrin 38 minutes, 8 runs, 77m (avg 9.6m per run), 2 offloads, 1 tackle break. Made 30 tackles, 2 ineffective tackles, 1 error.

Tamou 42 minutes, 11 runs, 96m (avg 8.7m per run), 0 offloads, 3 tackle breaks. Made 22 tackles, 1 ineffective tackle, 0 error.

Reading these stats, Merrin had to do more defence so didnt get a chance for as many runs. Yet when he did run it, he made more ground, and also created second phase play.

not too many middle forwards and props get the chance to make an impact for NSW with the ball, because Gallen generally takes it up twice in every set.

Merrin had a brain snap in Game 1, but he's a keeper this series. Aren't many other NSW props knocking on the door.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
This side will do me assuming they all stay fit:

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Stewart
13. Bird

14. Merrin
15. Mannah
16. Watmough
17. Buhrer

I don't think Woods is quite ready for it yet. Give him another season or two.

He got 5 minutes of Origin football. I have no idea how anyone can judge whether he is ready based on 5 minutes of football, and I never drop anyone after one game, especially when they had very limited game time.

I'm not saying he's a bad player i actually rate him highly for manly scum but even their fans have said he's a waste of a spot. Pick another prop for f**ks sake

timka4

Bench
1. B Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen (C)
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. G Stewart
13. Bird

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Watmough
16. Woods
17. Merrin

Shame about T-Rex injury

This side will do me assuming they all stay fit:

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Uate:lol:
6.Carney:lol:
7. Pearce:lol:
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Stewart
13. Bird

14. Merrin
15. Mannah
16. Watmough
17. Buhrer

I don't think Woods is quite ready for it yet. Give him another season or two.
Those three are all QLD needs to make it 7 in a row.

Wednesday night proved again that form means sfa. Eg Hayne, Jennings and to a lesser extent bird who were awesome, while stand up players at Nrl were sat right back down - carney, g.Stewart, merrin.

Shame about what happened to T.Rex and Sims.

Would like to have fielded this team for game 2.

Stewart/Dugan
Hayne
Jennings
Morris/Lawrence
Uate
Carney
Pearce
Gallen
Farrah
Tamou
Lewis
Scott/Fensom
Bird

Hinchcliffe
T.Williams
Sims
TLL

Last edited:
He got 5 minutes of Origin football. I have no idea how anyone can judge whether he is ready based on 5 minutes of football, and I never drop anyone after one game, especially when they had very limited game time.

The point isn't the amount of mins he played or limited opportunities he had.

His introduction at the time of the match, and in the role that was asked of him was needless. The young bloke isn't ready to play the role he had and the responsibility of carrying out at this level. Absolutely cannot have him handling the ball every play as acting half for any period of time for the rest of this series. It is a waste of a fresh body to have him sitting on the bench for this purpose when another high-level interchange forward can be used to keep the pressure on.

His selection was a mistake when it was made, and hindsight confirmed it. He may have his time in a season or two but it is not now.

Keep the Game 1 starting 13, but make the changes to the INT:
Hinchcliffe - is proving himself as a very good right-side forward so can interchange with G Stewart, is capable in the middle so can relieve Bird, and he provides great service as acting half when required as alternative for MEL. Knows the QLD spine and will be an invaluable intellectual asset in addition to his ability.

Watmough - what needs to be said about this bloke and his Origin credentials? he's an incumbent Kangaroo, FFS. Get him in there. plays as a left-middle forward at MAN so will balance the bench with Hinchcliffe a right forward at MEL. Can give Lewis or Bird a spell and can really bend a defensive line as well as find a hole.

Merrin - INT prop #1. Is one of the best in NSW at the moment and should retain his position.

Woods/Mannah/TLL - INT prop #2. With all of Hayne, Lewis, Bird and introducing Hinchcliffe, the utility needs to be given the punt and another genuine middle third big bopper included in the rotation. Gallen is an 80min player but the team constantly needs someone who can hit the line hard and bend it like Tamou did in the opening 15 min in Game 1. Gallen will lose effectiveness as the game wears on and generally slow drags defenders anyway rather than hitting the line hard with good metres and quick play the ball. Creagh isn't the player suitable for this purpose. Apart from Watmough, only another real prop is up to this task. Gallen will better serve the team by playing fewer minutes but with much more effectiveness.

Last edited:

Latest posts