What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Game 2 team

Joker's Wild

Coach
thehattrickrabbit said:
5. Nathan Merritt - Comes up with special plays when his team needs it and that is exactly what NSW needs. Looks stronger with the ball this year.

Oh he's special alright

NRL+Rd+1+Rabbitohs+v+Roosters+sjT7wKXr-qwl.jpg

Rod

Bench
Starting 13 the same except Scott into the backrow and Lewis to the bench for T-Rex, and Watmough onto the bench for Buhrer.

Merritt to watch the game peering through the window of a Harvey Norman.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Haven't read the whole thread but immediately after the game I was thinking there only had to be two changes, three at most, and they were all bench players.

Out - Creagh, Buhrer, Merrin (can live with Merrin remaining)
In - Watmough, Woods, Learoyd-Lahrs (only if Merrin is dropped)

Heard this morning that T-Rex is out as is possibly Lewis, so that changes things. I'd go with:

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis (left) - if fit, otherwise Watmough to start middle with Bird playing left
12. G Stewart (right)
13. Bird (middle)

14. Woods
15. Merrin
16. Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Watmough if Lewis fit otherwise Hinchcliffe

TLL can come on and alternate between middle and edge running, Woods, Watmough and Merrin to sub Tamou & Bird.

The absolute critical thing though is Sticky has to use his interchange better, as I just can't stop thinking:

1. Tamou was rested too long during the second half (he may well have been gassed)
2. Williams wasn't used enough
3. Creagh and Buhrer don't provide anything from the bench
4. We lost a lot when Bird came off (due to injury but still)

If we absolutely have to interchange Farah it should be with someone that plays hooker week in, week out. I lean towards Hinchcliffe. But I'd still prefer four forwards, and using them a whole lot smarter than how we've used our bench the last four games. As others have said, Buhrer killed us when we had that set on their line.

I'd also defend Pearce on the right - I think it was a mistake to line Carney up on Inglis' side. Whilst Inglis didn't have a huge game, he made some really strong runs that resulted in quick play the balls that got the QLDers on the front foot. Compare:

Inglis: 12 runs for 134 metres
Hodges: 12 runs for 78 metres

That's not all Pearce defending well on Hodges (obviously had Lewis & Jennings), but for the simple fact he's the best defensive half in the game IMO I'd have him working the opposite flank.

I tend to think that much of the misreads in defence on the right came down to a new 3/4 combination as well as some lack of communication from Morris - he's not the strongest defender. I can't blame Uate for the first try as we were short on the open side from the previous ptb - hardly the wingers fault. He had two men to mark up on and he committed to the inside run from Inglis (from memory) and was caught in no mans land - he made a decision and it was the wrong decision, but there should have been more numbers to being with (i.e. from the ptb we had four defenders on the short side while QLD had two - of course they went open and beat us for numbers). Not having Jennings there would have hurt in this respect, as the Blues probably thought they had to compensate down the short side when the opposite was true. For the second try, he was a fraction slow in getting to Slater. This is more his fault as he hesitated for a split second which allowed Slater to get rid of the ball, but it was also excellent work from Smith who read the numbers and sent the ball the short side, where the QLDers again had the numbers advantage. Uate having to make a decision on which of two players he defends is not his fault, his inside man (Morris) has to read the play better and communicate to his inside men to get across.

Carney must must must play better if we are to win. He was the worst on field for the Blues I thought, overawed by the occasion, didn't run at the line, didn't seem to get involved at all. He can play a lot better which is the positive.

Otherwise there wasn't much between the sides and I was happy with the starting XIII. We lost momentum at various points when our starters went off so that to me indicates we need to look at our interchange players (selection) and how best to utilise those interchange players (coaching). Ricky is both selector and coach - hopefully he gets both right next game.

40Twenty

Juniors
lol None of the current players have won a series, guess we should get rid of the lot and start again hey :roll:

Gal is a machine and without him we would have been rolled a lot harder than we had been over the last 6 series. He is the last NSWelshman whos spot in the side should be questioned.

GAL is a HITUP HOG, machine big f**king deal, so was Colin Van Der Vort.

And you'd persist with the left side of Hayne/Morris? Morris played right centre......bloody souffs fans

His positioning is spot on.

Lawrence has plays predominantly right centre at club, J Morris plays left centre.

I don't agree with his sentiments re Jennings, but he's got the players in their correct positions, even with the forwards G Stewart & A Watmough in the team who play right & left respectively. Some nuffies around here have put in forwards who all play left-side, or want to change up the left side of the field after it's been a strength recently. The left-side is solid, with Lewis-Pearce-Jennings-Hayne. Only change to starting side should be Watmough in and Lewis to bench as utility.

QLD targeted the NSW right-side the other night for the reasons:
(a) it was another brand new combination - last year it was Scott-Soward-Gasnier-Uate, Game 1 was G Stewart-Carney-Morris-Uate.
(b) J Morris is playing on wrong side of field that he is used to against a bloke who anyone who would have their hands full in containing in Inglis.

TimmyB

Juniors
I am worried about Glenn Stewart. It felt like right shifts died with him a couple of times on Wednesday night. Almost like he had the ball and didn't know what to do with it. Perhaps the Queensland left edge was just fantastic defensively.

I'd be tempted to play Gallen at lock, Lewis to take Buhrer's bench spot. Gallen would still rack up huge metres, but it would provide an opportunity to play another big boy up front. Try and absolutely steamroll the f**kers. I think Farah showed how dangerous he is on the back of quick play the balls in the first 20. Bring them in then spread it wide. Perhaps overly simple!

Well Dugan has to be there ahead of cross-eyed Snake for Game 2. Stewart surrenders meekly when having to run from dummy half on the NSW goal line. Dugan would have fought for every inch.

evil_p091280

Juniors
LOL at people saying Merrin should be dropped.

1. Did you actually watch the game on Wed night?
2. Have you seen any club football this year?

Merrin has been a gun all year.

How about you take off the Dragons hate glasses and judge players for what they are doing on the field.

Apey

Staff member
thehattrickrabbit is always good for an incoherent (presidence? :lol:) Thurston sucks/Merritt is the best winger in the world post every few months

chrisD

Coach
Well Dugan has to be there ahead of cross-eyed Snake for Game 2. Stewart surrenders meekly when having to run from dummy half on the NSW goal line. Dugan would have fought for every inch.

And then come up with 5 errors, again.

Stuart got everything out of Stewart he wants from a fullback and without the Dugan/Mini horrible and numerous errors. No kicking, no passing, generally nothing slightly creative. It was probably the greatest game of fullback Stuart has ever seen.

Danish

Referee
LOL at people saying Merrin should be dropped.

1. Did you actually watch the game on Wed night?
2. Have you seen any club football this year?

Merrin has been a gun all year.

How about you take off the Dragons hate glasses and judge players for what they are doing on the field.

Please name 1 good thing Merrin did on wednesday night.

All I saw was Topou come off, Merrin come on, and us lose all our go forward. Oh, and he also gave away a geniused 6 again knocking the ball out of the dummy half's hands.

Having said that, I'd say he will retain his spot now as the only changes to be made really are bringing in 2 more forwards to the bench and with T Rex injured then I can't see Merrin being one of the people let go.

Team will be the same as game 1, except with Watmough and Woods on the bench for the injured Lewis and Williams. Buhrer should make way for Hinchcliffe or someone else but wont

firechild

First Grade
Why do people want Hinchcliffe to replace Buhrer? If Hinchcliffe was given the same 5 minutes he would have done nothing either. No dramas replacing Buhrer but replace him with a front rower, not another utility.

chrisD

Coach
If Buhrer only did nothing perhaps it'd be ok, but he threw it at Trexes feet on the last at a crucial time. Admittedly Carney was hiding at the time and Stewart isn't a viable option so he does have some excuses, but he puts it on Trexes chest and who knows at that distance maybe Trex fights his way over.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Oh, and he also gave away a geniused 6 again knocking the ball out of the dummy half's hands.

Yeah that was pretty dumb. It was either the 4th or the 5th tackle, so there was really no need for it. It felt like a momentum changer too.

Latest posts