What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Game II team announced

Garts

Bench
Feel sorry for Campese but Barrett will step up to the plate for us. He always plays 10 times better that he does for his club when playing origin. He will do it again.

Not sure why Kite is still there. I would have rathered TLL in his place. Apart from that not to bad. I can not think of anyone that was robbed.

Gaba

First Grade
Phil gould sounds like he is crying , lets hope its the end of the selectors and Bellamy

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Just on Mullen for all of you that don't watch him play every week:

He is a competant halfback...and if that was all we saw him do then hardly anyone would be mentioning him in potential origin teams. If he has a halfback who does most of the organising, 1st reciever, and a significant percentage of the kicking then he is able to show that he might be NSW's best 5/8th.

Some of the best football Mullo has played this year has been in our victories over top teams like the Broncos, Titans, Dogs, Dragons etc...which the vast majority of time in these games he spent playing at 5/8.

Kiki

First Grade
Actually that's a good point. I'd have him before Barrett although I believe his non-selection will prove to benefit not only St. George but also Soward who could use another year of seasoning and an intense finals campaign.

yeh like im okay with him not being in Origin, we need him at the Dragons. i just dont really understand the logic behind this team u know?

Gaba i heard Gould talking about it too and he sounds absolutely devo and mystified about the team.

Just on Mullen for all of you that don't watch him play every week:

He is a competant halfback...and if that was all we saw him do then hardly anyone would be mentioning him in potential origin teams. If he has a halfback who does most of the organising, 1st reciever, and a significant percentage of the kicking then he is able to show that he might be NSW's best 5/8th.

Some of the best football Mullo has played this year has been in our victories over top teams like the Broncos, Titans, Dogs, Dragons etc...which the vast majority of time in these games he spent playing at 5/8.

Exactly right. If Mullen was picked at halfback for this game, I think he and Barrett would form an awesome combo. Mullen would be able to play a lot of second receiver and he would not be over rawed by the occassion having Barrett inside him.

yeh like im okay with him not being in Origin, we need him at the Dragons. i just dont really understand the logic behind this team u know?

Gaba i heard Gould talking about it too and he sounds absolutely devo and mystified about the team.

Yeah, the team is probably the weakest for a long time. There is no logic behind it, really. You look at the performance of the Dragons this season, wouldn't logic lead to them trying to pick as many Saints combinations as possible? Maybe having Cooper and Morris playing on one side, with Creagh inside Cooper.

Patsy

Juniors
Yeah this team is a massive step backwards from the last. Too many Manly players, and wtf at dropping Campese because he had a quiet game. At least he didn't make mistakes (like Gidley). Nice work choosing only one prop on the bench, once again we will lose the series.

the same manly players that have made back to back grand finals, won the last g/f 40-nil and with an ounce of luck this year would be sitting on 20 points.

wolfman - while not much b/w him, morris & monas i think his big game experience got him over the line and his toughness is suited to origin - he runs and defends like a front rower

lyon - club form awesome this year - quiet in origin 1 but so were all the outside backs due to the crap service that campses and wallacew dished up. only other choice was cooper and he was useless last year in origin

kite - everyone reckons he was worst prop in origin 1 yet his metres gained and tackles were equal if not better than the other 3. more mobile as well that the lazy weyman and poore just looked off the pace. plus he did the hard yards in 1st 25 mins - not the easier run when players fatigued

watmough - built for origin - leading tackle busts by a country mile - might miss a few tackles but he doesn't get a rest - plays 80mins at 150 miles.

stewart - the ball playing back rower our outside backs need - his alround game is great - can run, tackle and ball play well with the ball playing being his strength - i think he is wasted on the bench

The Gambler

Juniors
I think Barret is a good selection. He has been a standout in an underperforming team.

I am surprised they went with Williams instead of Monaghan.

Moffo

Referee
barrett and wallace....two solid, but boring and predictable players. hope QLD enjoy winning the title in sydney. why the f**k pick barrett? he is 31-32, won't be around for much longer and will add nothing to our team. f**ked up decision

and picking watmough and stewart on the bench....huh? where are the props? is kite going to play 80 minutes? for f**ks sake, horrible selections

skeepe

Immortal
So let me get this straight... Barrett leads his team to narrow wins against a weakened Parramatta, a Raiders team that did everything in their power to lose the game and still only conceded the lead for the first time in the 78th minute (and now have a 2-4 record at home), and a Warriors team who couldn't buy a win on the road, all teams outside the top 8 by the way, and he's suddenly in brilliant form?

f**k me. Honestly. I know Campese hasn't been setting the world on fire, but the poor bloke has just been set back 2-3 years as far as Origin is concerned. Barrett won't be there next year, why would you f**k with a combination that you said you were going to give time to gel after one game? And while you're at it, drop the better performing player of the the two? Makes no sense.

I mean I'm happy to have him back for the Raiders, but I worry about what this will do to his confidence. It'll either galvanise him - which would be fantastic - or send him to a dark place, and with a rookie coach that will be absolutely disastrous for us.

Monaghan, honestly was that penalty try in the WC final so bad that he's fallen that far down the pecking order? He's shown how good he is time and time again, been in far better form than Williams, yet is somehow only good enough for a shadow player.

Glen Stewart should rush out and buy himself a lottery ticket. Never before has a player so woefully out of form been a guaranteed starter for Australia and NSW. Paul Gallen should join him, because his file should have been stamped never to play Origin again after his performance in game 3 last year. Ricky Stuart was right when he said some players are suited to Origin regardless of form, well Gallen is the exact opposite of that. TLL has been, along with Ben Creagh, THE form backrower of the competition. The fact that he can also play prop equally as well should have made him a certainty. Only one prop on the bench? When one of the props on the field is Weyman? Good luck with that.

I also agree on the Soward calls, but there's one thing I don't think Kiki and the rest of Soward's fans have taken into account - he's a Canberra junior, so he'll have to play twice as good before he's even thought about.

sooperdooper

First Grade
shocking team....
selections i DONT like:
Wallace - has no creativity and cant steer the team
D.Williams - ONE tackle and he is currently a great winger?
Glenn Stewart: a powder puff 2nd rower who people claim as 'a ball player' pffffffffffft
Kite: never stepped up for origin, to slow

i would have rathered:
John Williams, Monaghan
Mullen - simply as he kicks well
TLL - have him over stewart as he is a metre eater
anyone for kite.....

sooperdooper

First Grade
i have no idea how glenn stewart keeps getting a start in a rep jersey, it is laughable.
far superior 2nd rowers running around

Patsy

Juniors
Glen Stewart should rush out and buy himself a lottery ticket. Never before has a player so woefully out of form been a guaranteed starter for Australia and NSW.

yet he was was close to man of the match in the recent test and has been a big part of the manly resurgance this year

Timbo

Staff member
Jennings, Williams, Wallace, Barrett, Kite and Stewart are simpy baffling descisions.

I don't know what the selectors are doing anymore, just truly horrible selections.

Kiki

First Grade
You look at the performance of the Dragons this season, wouldn't logic lead to them trying to pick as many Saints combinations as possible? Maybe having Cooper and Morris playing on one side, with Creagh inside Cooper.

definitely! that combination would have been electric. those 3 were so good yesterday.

Patsy

Juniors
Jennings, Williams, Wallace, Barrett, Kite and Stewart are simpy baffling descisions.

I don't know what the selectors are doing anymore, just truly horrible selections.

who would you replace them with - raiders players that haven't won a thing in 15 years and are towards the bottom of the ladder this year

benj4

Juniors
:lol:

No Cooper, Brett Morris and Hindmarsh? Campese thrown out after one game? Oh lord.

If Queensland turn up then this could be a sacrifice to the football gods.

Patsy

Juniors
:lol:

No Cooper, Brett Morris and Hindmarsh? Campese thrown out after one game? Oh lord.

If Queensland turn up then this could be a sacrifice to the football gods.

cooper has been there before as recent as last year and was crap

hindy while still one of the best backrowers in the comp at CLUB level showed he was past it in his last year of origin

and morris while on fire yet hasn't proved anything in a big game environment like finals, origins or tests. he has had a good year so far but it is only 14 games old.

what is his defence like? can he do the hard stuff or can he just run fast when in the clear remembering that not alot of fresh space in origin

Kiki

First Grade
are we talking about Brett or Josh? either way how are they sposed to get experience if no one will give him some? also neither of them are 14 game rookies, they have both played great footy for the Dragons over the past 3 years and now Josh is killing it at the Dogs.

as if Matt Cooper sucked last year, he halfway carried that back line. wasnt he the only one that scored in the Sydney game?

Last edited: