What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

hellteam

First Grade
LOL they have to know something we dont....

that is f**king rediculous!!!

It is so strange. For interests sake...

NSW Captain Game One

Gidley - $1.33
Hindmarsh - $3.75
Lyon - $5.00
Gallen - $9.00
Pearce - $15.00
Watmough - $17.00
Bailey - $17.00
Kimmorley - $17.00
Hayne - $17.00
Ennis - $21.00
Farah - $21.00
Barrett - $26.00

Still surprised Gidley is $1.33 favourite to be captain. That is extremely short. He must be going to make the team, bookies are rarely wrong on their odds. I also would have though Hindmarsh would be about 3.75 to even make the team, he's going pretty average at the moment and hasn't been in the team for a while. Gallen at $9 looks alright. Why don't they just make Hayne captain... he's the only one that's guaranteed to be in the team pretty much

NSW Halfback Game One

Pearce - $1.65
Kimmorley - $2.20
Gidley - $9.00
Wallace - $13.00
Carney - $15.00
Hornby - $17.00
Mullen - $17.00
Barrett - $26.00
Soward - $34.00

Looks to be pretty on the money, should be either Peace or Kimmorley, although NSW in the past have had great success with Barrett at halfback, so it wouldn't surprise me that much to see him and Bird in the halves.

Someone

Bench
Once again, NSW has a problem in the halves. I'd love it for NSW selectors to pick a "master" and "apprentice" in the halves. But right now all of the "masters" are seriously out of form. Kimmorley and Barrett just won't cut it.

That leaves the possibility of picking Lyon or Gidley arguably out of position in the halves ... or maybe even Lewis. None of those options are terribly appealing.

Then there's Bird. He's not in the best form and 5/8 arguably isn't his best position, but he's experienced.

As an Eels fan I hate to admit it, but even Finch has to come into consideration.

1. Hayne
2. B Morris
3. Lyon
4. Jennings
5. Ferguson
6. Gidley
7. Pearce
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Creagh
12. Gallen
13. Bird

14. Lewis
15. Watmough
16. Leahroyd-Lars
17. Douglas

Worst team yet. Lyon....your joking. hes a dud. brings nothing to the side but an ok goal kicking ability.

Ferguson on the wing. He is too young. with the wingers queensland have, i wouldnt try it.

Gidley...maybe a spot on the bench, put please. Barrett/campese and as stated above brett finch in my believe would be well infront of gidley for the position.

Your foward pack is impressive but i cant get over how much that backline would fail.

Campese a fair chuck @ $21.

Playing for the Raiders + 1 poor origin performance = red line through your name. Probably won't get another shot.

1. Josh Dugan
2. Brett Morris
3. Michael Jennings
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Brett Finch
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Michael Weyman
9. Robbie Farah
10. Keith Galloway
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Paul Gallen
13. Luke Lewis

14. Luke Douglas
15. Kade Snowden
16. Tom Leahroyd-Lahrs
17. Greg Bird

Captain is either Gallen or Lewis. No matter how good he's playing, I cannot pick Jamie Lyon because he said he didn't want to play origin last year, no matter what he says now, I doubt his heart will be 100% in it.

hellteam

First Grade
This is the NSW team I would least like to see picked (therefore the best)

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Josh Dugan
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. Greg Bird
7. Trent Barrett
8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Luke Douglas
11. Luke Lewis
12. Paul Gallen
13. Anthony Watmough

14. Todd Carney
15. Kade Snowden
16. Luke O'Donnell
17. Tom Leyroyd-Lars

Put Barrett and Bird in the halves, might be different if the first game was at Suncorp. Origin games at ANZ are usually dour, slow affairs, and both Bird and Barrett have excelled against QLD there in the past. Barrett's actually had his better games in Origin at halfback. With those two in the halves, Farah should be picked for his ball-playing abilities. Can't beleive no one has mentioned (well, they might have, but I haven't really seen it) Dugan on the wing. He's easily good enough to make the adjustment and I'm sure he would have played on the wing before anyway. Carney's a much better option then Gidley on the bench also.

That team should definitely be good enough to give the Maroons a tough battle, unlike the first 2 games last year.

hellteam

First Grade
This is the NSW team I would least like to see picked (therefore the best)

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Josh Dugan
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. Greg Bird
7. Trent Barrett
8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Luke Douglas
11. Luke Lewis
12. Paul Gallen
13. Anthony Watmough

14. Todd Carney
15. Kade Snowden
16. Luke O'Donnell
17. Tom Leyroyd-Lars

Just realised my team has no goal-kicker. I think Farah has kicked a few times for the Tigers (maybe). Also Carney off the bench is a kicker so it should be right. Dugan as well?

MSIH

Bench
Anyone not picking Lyon has either:

A. Not watched Manly play
B. Is too biased towards their own players
C. Has no idea

hellteam

First Grade
The reason I didn't pick him is because last year he said he didn't want to play for NSW. And now, it seems, because he has a chance to be captain, he says he'd love to play this year.

That, and the fact he played last year and Inglis ran all over him.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Worst team yet. Lyon....your joking. hes a dud. brings nothing to the side but an ok goal kicking ability.

Ferguson on the wing. He is too young. with the wingers queensland have, i wouldnt try it.

Gidley...maybe a spot on the bench, put please. Barrett/campese and as stated above brett finch in my believe would be well infront of gidley for the position.

Your foward pack is impressive but i cant get over how much that backline would fail.

I should clarify that my list was more of a prediction than the kind of team I'd like based on personal preferences.

I hate Lyon with a passion, but it doesn't change the fact he's currently one of the form centres in the competition. He'll be selected, I'm sure of it.

Similarly, I would really would rather Gidley not be on the team at all. I just think he will be for all the reasons already mentioned. He'll be captain too. Just watch.

I have no great confidence in Pearce either. I'd be more comfortable with him along side Barrett in form, though, as per my idea of having a young guy working with an experienced campaigner.

As for Ferguson, he's less than a year younger than Pearce who you didn't see fit to single out even though he's in a far more critical position. Ferguson is bristling with confidence and self belief. Hayne wasn't too young, Folau wasn't too young ... Ferguson is destined to be in a similar league in my opinion. It's not like there are other stand out candidates ... unless you want more "Wolfman"? :crazy:

Spot On

Coach
Michael Jennings - what do we all believe his strengths/assets are as a footballer besides his speed?

abpanther

Staff member
Michael Jennings - what do we all believe his strengths/assets are as a footballer besides his speed?

Just off the top of my head:

Genuine tryscorer
Great footwork
Unmatched acceleration
Pretty strong upperbody and fend
Very elusive, dangerous and can create opportunities for others
Can play both centre positions
Becoming more involved across the field as a rover, popping up around the ruck
International and Origin experience
Solid defender (it has now become fashionable to say he is a terrible defender but I've watched him this season and he hasn't been too bad, he's not a dominant defender but he puts his body on the line and is generally solid).

The only downsides I see to selecting Jennings are (1) his ability to defend against the big QLD backs (put a dominant defender next to him - re: Lewis), (2) injuries.

caylo

Bench
To be honest Morris and Jennings have to be there IMO with probably Morris one winger and I'd like to see Tahu on the other (althou his forms not the best he is a proven player and if he can improve over the other few he could come into calculation).

Spot On

Coach
Maybe his ability to beat a defender. Or maybe his ability to score tries. Hmmmm

Scored a lot this year has he? I must admit his defence has looked much better this year. Not sure about him at Origin level though. It will be interesting to watch what happens with him this year.

Agree with you on Reddy, he is getting better all the time. Lyon is a brilliant defender and I don't think Inglis would pose him many problems. As far as Idris goes, well he has as much chance of being selected at Origin level as Shannon McDonnell does!

Lyon a brilliant defender? Really? Not many problem's against Inglis, Really? He didn't show it last year in origin, where Inglis was allowed to run, so freely down the field. i'm just trying to contemplate what would have happened if Inglis didn't get knocked out last year in origin 2, i mean he already set up two tries on that side 25 minutes in, wasn't it?. As to your comment about Indris, your right he has little or no chance of making it, but i'll tell you what i would rather give him a New South Wales jersey than Lyon! seriously what did Lyon do in origin last year? Nothing, except let Inglis rampage through the centers. His attack was pathetic, and now everybody is saying give him a jumper after one good game against the sharks! If you watch the dragons and storm play the bulldogs last year you would see Indris giving an awesome performance against Inglis and Cooper. Who did Lyon oppose in the Sharks game?

hellteam

First Grade
Lyon a brilliant defender? Really? Not many problem's against Inglis, Really? He didn't show it last year in origin, where Inglis was allowed to run, so freely down the field. i'm just trying to contemplate what would have happened if Inglis didn't get knocked out last year in origin 2, i mean he already set up two tries on that side 25 minutes in, wasn't it?. As to your comment about Indris, your right he has little or no chance of making it, but i'll tell you what i would rather give him a New South Wales jersey than Lyon! seriously what did Lyon do in origin last year? Nothing, except let Inglis rampage through the centers. His attack was pathetic, and now everybody is saying give him a jumper after one good game against the sharks! If you watch the dragons and storm play the bulldogs last year you would see Indris giving an awesome performance against Inglis and Cooper. Who did Lyon oppose in the Sharks game?

Well said

caylo

Bench
Hayne
Tahu (waiting for abuse... but if his form is good I would like to see him there)
Jennings
Morris
Morris
Campese
Pearce
Weyman
Farah
Galloway
Watmough
Criegh
Gallen

Bird
Lewis
Poore
Carney/Ennis

lol!

Farah's service from dummy half was the exact same, and funilly enough, Ennis missed more tackles than Farah on average.

Ennis barely kicked, so he had no chances of kicking out on the full. Farah played more of a part in the game for us, he tried to spark us. He laid on a try with a chip and chase. I watched Ennis, he almost butchered a try. Gave a sh*thouse hospital pass to Watmough who managed to recover and lay it on to Creagh to score.

What about the fights? Ennis' so called strength with his agression and mongrel, he was no where to be season when they were on. He just hid behind the back like a little pansy, I'm sure Farah would go in there and try and land a few.

lol

Buddy you are absolutely right with that one! I remember that game where that guy ( i think he was from Cowboys?) landed several cheap shots on Farah in the scrum, and come next scrum, Farah gave it right back! That was hilarious! :lol: