What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

Spot On

Coach
Lyon a brilliant defender? Really? Not many problem's against Inglis, Really? He didn't show it last year in origin, where Inglis was allowed to run, so freely down the field. i'm just trying to contemplate what would have happened if Inglis didn't get knocked out last year in origin 2, i mean he already set up two tries on that side 25 minutes in, wasn't it?. As to your comment about Indris, your right he has little or no chance of making it, but i'll tell you what i would rather give him a New South Wales jersey than Lyon! seriously what did Lyon do in origin last year? Nothing, except let Inglis rampage through the centers. His attack was pathetic, and now everybody is saying give him a jumper after one good game against the sharks! If you watch the dragons and storm play the bulldogs last year you would see Indris giving an awesome performance against Inglis and Cooper. Who did Lyon oppose in the Sharks game?

Can't argue that point re Lyon but nor can you say he hasn't been one of the form centres of the year thus far. As many have stated, NSW supporters can't forget his, " I don't want to play Origin" comments in the past and most are sceptical at his genuine desire to play. If he's fairdinkum about having a go I'd be happy to see him there. If he plays like sh*t I'll happily cop it on the chin. As for Idris, he would have to improve out of sight to be a competitive centre at Origin level.

typicalfan

Coach
Lyon on his goal line was horrible in origin last year but I think the captaincy has brought the best out of Lyon, I think he and one of Hayne, Tahu or maybe his wing partner when he returns David Williams would accompany him. I think Tahu would help Lyon defensively and I would look at him again. He looks like he would relish the challenge this year as opposed to look like he doesn't want to be there.

Can't argue that point re Lyon but nor can you say he hasn't been one of the form centres of the year thus far. As many have stated, NSW supporters can't forget his, " I don't want to play Origin" comments in the past and most are sceptical at his genuine desire to play. If he's fairdinkum about having a go I'd be happy to see him there. If he plays like sh*t I'll happily cop it on the chin. As for Idris, he would have to improve out of sight to be a competitive centre at Origin level.

I don't care what he said in the past, it doesn't mean crap! we all can have a change of heart at a point in our lives, it's human nature! i'll tell you the truth, i do think he is a good player, i can't hold that against him. However his style of footy is not suited to battle Inglis on that right hand side. If you say give him a chance a 5/8 i would not have a problem with that, he's got vision, speed and skill! you are right about him playing well at center for manly, however state of origin and NRL are two different things, and he even justify's that point in last years campaign where he played well for Manly at the start but did nothing at origin. In general i have absolutely nothing against the guy, he is actually one of my favorite players. And yes Idris has a massive defensive issue, and i did state that and i also did state that if i had to play him, i would play him on the wing. Have you watched him play lately, mate he is a handful for the defense, it takes like three forwards to take him down!

Last edited:

legend

Coach
Dugan
Hayne
Jennings
Scott
Morris
Campese
Carney
Gallen
Watmough
Creagh
Weyman
Ennis
Cross

Lewis
Learoyd-Lahrs
Stewart
Douglas

Honourable mentions to Lawrence, Galloway, Merritt and Bird.

Lyon on his goal line was horrible in origin last year but I think the captaincy has brought the best out of Lyon, I think he and one of Hayne, Tahu or maybe his wing partner when he returns David Williams would accompany him. I think Tahu would help Lyon defensively and I would look at him again. He looks like he would relish the challenge this year as opposed to look like he doesn't want to be there.

Why would you put someone there who can't defend against his opponent, and expect the guy outside him to do the job? if the guy outside Lyon was David Willaims, then hell i don't even want to discuss that!

perverse

Referee
if you want to shut down inglis, and this is way out of left field i guess... but you should just beg maddog to come back for 1 last hurrah. shuts him down practically every time. i can't remember the last time inglis had a happy day (individually) against macdougall. id love to see the old boy get one last hurrah in the rep arena, and i don't think he'd let anyone down, either. he's been playing great, consistent footy for newcastle for years now, and would you believe he's already thinking about going around again next year? lol.

of course, it wont happen. after 5 rounds my backline would probably look something like this -

1. Kurt Gidley / Todd Carney
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Todd Carney / Kurt Gidley
7. Mitchell Pearce

hayne isn't playing well enough at the moment to be fullback. might not be a popular opinion, but it's the truth. he's looked very poor positionally all year, and he hasn't found the same attacking mojo that he displayed last year. he came to life on the wing in origin last year, he can probably do it again this year.

no form from Gidley this year aside from a short stint for the all stars (in which he actually looked pretty good). i think if form doesn't change much over the next few weeks and gidley does reasonably well for the knights upon his return we will either see gids at 5/8th or at fullback, with todd carney taking the other position. i would actually find this a little amusing considering they are both Brian Smith success stories, and both halves turned into fullbacks at that.

cleary89

Coach
Dugan (wont happen, so Gidley)
Morris
Morris
Lawrence
Hayne
Carney
Pearce
Weyman
Farrah
Douglas
Watmough
Creagh
Gallen

Snowden
Galloway
O'Donnell
Bird

perverse

Referee
i know there's the whole if you're good enough, you're old enough thing... but i just think dugan could get another season of first grade under his belt before playing origin. if he keeps playing like he is and develops further then he'll get there for sure, but our history blooding young players over the past few years hasn't been a good one.

big fan of dugan, though. i wouldn't take him off the table just yet in spite of the above. still a lot of footy to go before origin.

zombie jesus

Staff member
01. Josh Dugan
02. Jarryd Hayne
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Michael Jennings
05. Brett Morris
06. Trent Barrett (c)
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Michael Weyman
09. Robbie Farah
10. Kade Snowden
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Ben Creagh
13. Greg Bird

14. Paul Gallen
15. Luke Lewis
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Keith Galloway

Obviously won't be it but I would like it.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
01. Josh Dugan
02. Jarryd Hayne
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Michael Jennings
05. Brett Morris
06. Trent Barrett (c)
07. Mitchell Pearce
08. Michael Weyman
09. Robbie Farah
10. Kade Snowden
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Ben Creagh
13. Greg Bird

14. Paul Gallen
15. Luke Lewis
16. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Keith Galloway

Obviously won't be it but I would like it.

A very good well balanced side. If Dugan had an extra season under his belt, id support it. Especially that bench.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Oh and stopping Inglis is not a one on one thing. Mad Dog could do it, but he wont be able to stop Inglis when he is getting perfect ball, in perfect space buy the Australian halves, with space provided by the Australian props and Australian hooker. Let alone Inglis being the Golden Boot winner.

There are just some players you cant stop, only limit. SBW, Lewis, Johns, Inglis, Mal, etc etc. There are just some players that are just that good. Inglis is one of them.

Bulldog Force

Referee
From what I've seen so far, I'd like a mixture of the success of teams rolled into 1 big NSW team:

1. Todd Carney
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Jamie Soward
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
10. Luke Bailey
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Ben Creagh
13. Greg Bird

14. Jason Ryles
15. Justin Poore
16. Paul Gallen
17. Luke Lewis

Spot On

Coach
As many or more than Slater, Inglis, Goodwin, Minichello and Perrett, to name a few. What's your point?

Jennings is apparently a try scoring whiz and people select him in their Origin side because of his amazing ability to score a try. It's just that Jennings spends a lot of time on the ground often injured or whatever it is he is doing but rarely, so far this season, has he spent this time on the ground over the white line that counts most. Trying to compare Slater and Inglis, who are already legends of Origin, have played in four straight gf's, won two Premierships, both Golden Boot winners, are current Australian reps and are first chosen for said side, in any way, shape or form to Jennings is futile. Slater and Inglis can play like busteds for a few NRL rounds and then tear NSW appart. As for the others you mentioned...... who cares.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
From what I've seen so far, I'd like a mixture of the success of teams rolled into 1 big NSW team:

1. Todd Carney
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Jamie Soward
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
10. Luke Bailey
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Ben Creagh
13. Greg Bird

14. Jason Ryles
15. Justin Poore
16. Paul Gallen
17. Luke Lewis
all of the players in bold are either hopelessly out of form or playing in currently quite hopeless teams... or both. not sure where you're coming from at all. the only reason i would probably pick j morris and hayne would be that no-one else is sticking their hand up, really. having jennings over lawrence at this stage would be very dumb imo.

Latest posts