What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

evil_p091280

Juniors
He hasn't been shown up by anyone. Our team as a whole might have been, but Pearce has been our best week in week out.

His team scored 6 points. He didn't have any great impact, made 11 tackles and missed 5. And while the stats say he had a try assist, he might have kicked the ball but Sammy perrett did the hard work jumping and batting back.

Pearce tries hard however in my opinion if his surname was jones instead of pearce, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

timka4

Bench
mmmm kimmorley is still my pick for half back, why not he didnt let us down last game, not in the same form as last time, but not too far off

Spot On

Coach
City v Country sides get named on Sunday. Anyone want to have a stab on what they may look like?

I've read a few posts supporting Tim Grant from Penrith. I'm assuming he is a NSWelshman. Is he a chance of playing city/country? And if he is selected to play in that match, has an absolute blinder and is the pick of the props, what do you think the chances are of him being selected in the NSW squad?

MSIH

Bench
Assuming that Anthony Watmough and Paul Gallen are picked in the ANZAC Test:

City

8. Keith Galloway
9. Robbie Farah
10. Tim Grant
11. Mark Minichiello
12. Trent Waterhouse
13. Luke O’Donnell

14. Luke Lewis
15. Ryan Hoffman
16. Luke Stuart (old, yes, but a late peak in his career)
17. Bryce Gibbs/Jason King (for lack of better options)

Country

8. Michael Weyman
9. Michael Ennis
10. Luke Douglas
11. Anthony Tupou/Corey Paterson (depending on form + fitness at the time)
12. Anthony Laffranchi
13. Dean Young

14. Greg Bird
15. Ben Creagh
16. Aiden Tolman
17. Kade Snowden

Willie Mason, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Justin Poore, Michael Henderson and Dan Hunt are all very unlucky to miss out on this team, and if they were City eligible, they would probably displace Stuart or Gibbs/King.

Plenty of youth, no need to pick dead end players like Kite, White, Perry, Cross, Bailey, Ryles, Simpson, Hindmarsh, Ryan, etc - who are all essentially steps backward, or players like Sims, Tilse, etc who just wouldn't cut it IMO. It is best to give these players of the future a chance to shine and show their credentials as potential Origin stars for the following seasons.

So we're to assume G Stewarts in your Australian side?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I've read a few posts supporting Tim Grant from Penrith. I'm assuming he is a NSWelshman. Is he a chance of playing city/country? And if he is selected to play in that match, has an absolute blinder and is the pick of the props, what do you think the chances are of him being selected in the NSW squad?

Grant would represent City. He is a born and bred Panther and never wants to leave the club he loves.

Tim is in his 4th year of First Grade and now at 22 is ready to gain his first Rep jumper for City. In the coming years i have no doubt he will go onto represent NSW and Australia and become on one of the games premier props after the likes of Price and Petero retire.

Spot On

Coach
Grant would represent City. He is a born and bred Panther and never wants to leave the club he loves.

Tim is in his 4th year of First Grade and now at 22 is ready to gain his first Rep jumper for City. In the coming years i have no doubt he will go onto represent NSW and Australia and become on one of the games premier props after the likes of Price and Petero retire.

Thanks Panther Daz. If he has a blinder do you think he would get a shot at NSW jumper this year???

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Thanks Panther Daz. If he has a blinder do you think he would get a shot at NSW jumper this year???

If he has a blinder perhaps. However there are props ahead of him. Grant has only started to get decent game time and a starting spot for Penrith this year and is making 100+ metres per game now. Under Petero's leadership he will continue to develop and could be a bolter for the Australian Four Nations squad if Penrith go deep into the finals series in 2010.

From what i have heard though he is almost a certainty for City.

watatank

Coach
City v Country sides get named on Sunday. Anyone want to have a stab on what they may look like?

I'll give it a shot...not really sure what the respective selectors are looking at but anyway

City

Coote
A. Minichiello, Lawrence Jennings T.Williams
Anasta Hodkinson
Galloway De Gois King
Hoffman Waterhouse M. Minichiello

Sutton, Stuart, Grant, K.Keating

Country

Dugan
Morris Scott Lyon Tahu
Gidley Kimmorley
Weyman Ennis Snowden
Creagh Bird Stewart

Mason Laffranchi Douglas Carney

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont think CvC is a good way of deciding some positons, positions like center, wing, second row, positions where your usually one on one with a player. Good for halves and hookers and fullbacks.

We need to find which players can beat the likes of Inglis, Tonga, etc etc, not players that can beat Scott, Lyon, Jennings or Miniciello. So while yes Scott may have a great game containing Jennings, or Brett Morris absolutly destroys his opponent...... does that suddenly decide that they are the best to take on Inglis and co?

Personally, I think Lawrence is the man to take care of Inglis, but its very possible that Scott would do such a good job in CvC that he is the man to do it.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'll give it a shot...not really sure what the respective selectors are looking at but anyway

City

Coote
Anasta Hodkinson
Galloway De Gois King

Country

Dugan
Morris Scott Lyon Tahu
Gidley Kimmorley
Weyman Ennis Snowden
Creagh Bird Stewart

Those teams look very possible. Although I don't think Michael Jennings will play if he is selected. He's booked in for surgery on his knee and will put it off if selected for Australia, but I doubt he would put it off for this game.

I'm hoping he doesn't get picked for Australia and gets his knee fixed up. It's only 2 weeks out and with the bye that weekend he would only miss one NRL match.

Doga

Juniors

City

Coote
Anasta Hodkinson
Galloway De Gois King

Country

Dugan
Morris Scott Lyon Tahu
Gidley Kimmorley
Weyman Ennis Snowden
Creagh Bird Stewart

If he continues to play well I am sure Idris might get a look in for Country. Either in the Centres or off the bench.

griffo346

First Grade
Peter Sterling: Luke Lewis the next NSW captain?

Peter Sterling for NRL.com Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:04:00
lewis_sterlo_320.jpg
Luke Lewis Copyright: Action Photographics

Related Links

When Brad Fittler and Andrew Johns describe something in the Rugby league world as the “real deal”, it seems logical to sit up and take notice.

That is how they described the Penrith Panthers over the weekend following the club's impressive 26-18 win over the Tigers. It was the mountain men’s fourth straight victory, putting them alongside Melbourne and Manly as the only clubs to achieve such a sequence so far.

Whilst I’m yet to be as strongly convinced as Freddy and Joey, I do see the right kind of balance in the Panthers' line-up that has the potential to lead to real success.

Within this personnel there are also the influential types of player who can prove to be the difference.

The obvious standout is skipper Petero Civinoceva who, since coming south, has been professional, inspirational and a true leader in every sense of the word.

In Michael Jennings they possess the most dynamic ball-runner in the game. A player with his combination of power and balance only comes along very rarely.

Halfback Luke Walsh is starting to make smarter decisions on a more consistent basis and, as a No. 7, that is an absolute necessity. In previous seasons there were too many 6 out of 10 performances in his game. Now we are seeing more 7 1/2's and 8’s on a weekly basis.

At the back, Lachlan Coote has developed into a class performer in a short period of time. He is excellent under the high ball, a wonderful support player and not afraid to put his body on the line.

What is particularly impressive is how quick he is with his hands, which we saw evidence of on a couple of occasions against the Tigers.

Firstly, when scoring his opening try, it was only this speed that allowed him to collect a pass well behind him and get it in a position to ground.

CLICK HERE to see Coote's speed near the line.

Later in the contest, he moved across in general play to field a high bouncing ball from an opposition kick. It was sitting up in a way that re-gathering was going to make him a vulnerable target and open to a mistake when hit. The speed that he was able to drag the ball down and get it and his body in a safe position was again tremendous.

However in my opinion, the most significant player in the Penrith ranks is local boy Luke Lewis.

He was again their best on the weekend, and continues to show us that he is arguably the most complete footballer in the competition.

Since debuting in 2001, he has developed from a wide scouting centre/winger into an all-round contributor completely suited anywhere around the football. In fact, he is now one of those rare players equally adept and dangerous whether running or passing the ball.

This was ideally illustrated in his involvement in setting up Coote for the fullback’s second try against Wests.

In the 64th minute, Luke ran an ‘outside-in’ line coming back from the right-hand side towards where Luke Walsh was shaping to pass. This in itself is an awfully difficult angle to run. It is so much easier to be drifting away from the ball and receiving it across the body.

To catch the ball at speed when you are running at the passer takes plenty of skill, especially when you are aimed at a collision and not open space.

Lewis headed initially at Gareth Ellis before veering late at another big man in Andrew Fifita. After contact, he was able to break the tackle, juggle the ball and draw the fullback. Instead of trying to score himself, he steadied beautifully to hold up the ball for the unmarked Coote.

CLICK HERE to see this impressive try-assist.

His awareness and ultimate delivery was pure footballer.

So too was putting centre Adrian Purtell into a hole moments earlier, gifting the team the field position to score that try.

With Penrith struggling to come out of their own end, Lewis feigned to pass to an inside decoy, before straightening at the defensive line. By doing so, he created an overlap and put the Tigers' Blake Ayshford and Beau Ryan in two minds. Purtell was able to burst onto a short pass and into open space.

CLICK HERE to see Lewis' playmaking at the line.

Knowing what angles to run is a big part of Luke’s game, and already this season he has developed a successful combination with off-season import, hooker Kevin Kingston.

In round one against the Raiders, he positioned himself wide to the left before spearing back on the inside after Kingston had stretched the defence with his cross-field run.

CLICK HERE to watch this play unfold.

The same ploy was again successful the following week against the Cowboys with a similar dart from dummy-half opening up an inside diagonal run for Lewis to score.

CLICK HERE to watch this try against the Cowboys.

Whilst Luke is an excellent athlete, I believe his most valuable commodity is his competitiveness and 'never-say-die' attitude. He treats every play as though it is the last and most important one of the game.

In round four against the Knights, he was prepared to complete his kick-chase into the in-goal even though it appeared certain the ball was running dead. When other players had already dropped off, his perseverance was rewarded with a freakish bounce and a four-pointer.

CLICK HERE to see this freakish try.

So far this year, I’ve deliberately refrained from talking Origin prospects and a possible Blues line-up as it seemed way too premature for such speculation. However, after seven rounds, selection is not far away and I’m happy to break my duck.

Luke Lewis would be my first NSW player chosen, and he would be my lock-forward. Furthermore, dependent on how selectors are keen to use Kurt Gidley, I’d seriously consider him as captaincy material.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...-luke-lewis-the-next-nsw-captain/default.aspx

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
I picked a team on this thread a month or so back but im back to do it again with a few changes:

1. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. J. Morris
4. Cooper
5. Jennings
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorely
8. Bailey
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Creagh
12. Watmough
13. Bird

14. Douglas/Galloway/Poore
15. Mason/Gallen
16. Lewis
17. Carney (my reason being that he can act as a utility and be blooded for a starting role in origin next year)

D

Deleted member 10972

So we're to assume G Stewarts in your Australian side?

Definitely. Glenn Stewart is a top player IMO, I would pick him as the 12 for Australia without question. He does the same defensive job that guys like Hindmarsh, Fitzgibbon and Ryan did in the past, but he offers so much more with the ball, is tough as nails, and is pretty handy from close range too.

I am not even a Manly fan, hate them with a passion, but he is one hell of a player.

Australian pack should be, based on form:

Civoniceva
Smith
Myles (has to be picked on form, but backrow stocks are full)
Watmough
Stewart
Lewis

Farah/Carney/a utility
Gallen
Thaiday
another form prop - probably Shillington

The other option would be to pick O'Donnell or Stagg at lock, and have Lewis on the bench as a utility. Either way, Lewis is in hot form at the moment.

petetheileet

First Grade
Definitely. Glenn Stewart is a top player IMO, I would pick him as the 12 for Australia without question. He does the same defensive job that guys like Hindmarsh, Fitzgibbon and Ryan did in the past, but he offers so much more with the ball, is tough as nails, and is pretty handy from close range too.

I am not even a Manly fan, hate them with a passion, but he is one hell of a player.

Civoniceva
Smith
Watmough
Stewart
Lewis

Farah/Carney/a utility
Gallen
Thaiday

The other option would be to pick O'Donnell or Stagg at lock, and have Lewis on the bench as a utility. Either way, Lewis is in hot form at the moment.

Stewart, Myles and Shillington

no Creagh and Weyman....

LMAO i thought our rep selectors were the most clueless bunch of nuffies...

lol clearly u are two steps ahead of them!!!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Civoniceva
Smith
Watmough
Stewart
Lewis

Farah/Carney/a utility
Gallen
Thaiday

Like it, dont like Myles at prop though, still think we have better options. Would rather see him on the bench in place of eith Gallen or Thiaday.

Prop stocks are thin, a guy like Sh

joseph1

Juniors
How does this look:

hayne, morris, tahu, idris, burt, soward, kimmorley, bailey, ennis, mason, hindmarsh, creagh, bird. gidley, watmough, stewart, weyman

intimidation!

MSIH

Bench
Stewart, Myles and Shillington

no Creagh and Weyman....

LMAO i thought our rep selectors were the most clueless bunch of nuffies...

lol clearly u are two steps ahead of them!!!

Haha, more idea than you you muppet.

Stewart > Creagh.

Weyman's not much chop, neither's Shillington.

Latest posts