What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

aqua_duck

Coach
Gallen never performs in origin. He was shiite in game 2 last year, threw a loose pass that Folau picked up and ran 70m off, then didn't even lay a hand on a rampaging Greg Inglis about 5m from the line, allowing him to run over Gidley a metre out and score

timka4

Bench
Going off those stats Waterhouse looks pretty average but I thought he was good last year for the blues.

i thought he was as well, remember also waterhouse has only been in 4 games this year (from that sheet), including a game off the bench.

Still hayne has to be fullback, he will lift for this game. Also he has a great kicking game IMO and has learnt to use the ball this year.

If he plays on the wing i think he might play sh*t like he did for aus. because he thinks he deserves fullback and will get the sh*ts again (like i think he did for aus).

Last year he was content on playing on the wing because he hadn't fully gotten all of his media coverage yet, asides from game 3.

chrisD

Coach
Waterhouse was poor his first game back, and very average for the rest for Penrith, but was fantastic in C&C. Even at his best though I don't see he has in any part of his game more to offer than what Lewis does.

Gallen and Watmough have a tendancy for brain explosions in the last 15mins of the game (when they get tired) and are occasionally lazy inside defenders, Waterhouse is worse for lazy inside defending though.

hellteam

First Grade
What would the form side look like though?

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Brett Morris
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Michael Robertson
6. Preston Campbell
7. Luke Walsh
8. Luke Bailey
9. Robbie Farah
10. Bryce Gibbs
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Luke Lewis

14. Kade Snowden
15. Michael Weyman
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Ben Creagh

Or since you love a 'good' impact interchange utility and especially since niggle is not only tolerated, it's appreciated.

17. Anthony Watts

I'd hate to see a side picked on form.

Big Pete, most of the things you say are on the money, but that side is terrible. QLD would absolutely annihilate that team. That team would not score a try with Coote, Campbell and Walsh in the side. Sure, they're solid club players, but they are nowhere near the class needed in Origin... although Coote might be one day.

NSW need to take a leaf out of QLD's book, and pick a team and stick with it. QLD don't pick our team on form, we pick it on experience and class. Pretty much anyone out of the 17 at the moment could be playing terribly, but we'll pick them cause they get the job done. When we were losing (03/04/05) we picked near the same team, players like Smith/Slater/Inglis were brought through, and it paid off in the end. Form is overrated in Origin. The best players perform. Look at Inglis, sometimes plays terrible for the Storm, but the moment he walks on to an Origin field, he is unstoppable. Form is temporary. class is permanent.

timka4

Bench
so what would your nsw team look like than hell? im just interested in what team you would pick. Because as many others would agree,what you said is true and has been said before. so yeh, who would u pick?

Big Pete

Referee
Big Pete, most of the things you say are on the money, but that side is terrible. QLD would absolutely annihilate that team. That team would not score a try with Coote, Campbell and Walsh in the side. Sure, they're solid club players, but they are nowhere near the class needed in Origin... although Coote might be one day.

NSW need to take a leaf out of QLD's book, and pick a team and stick with it. QLD don't pick our team on form, we pick it on experience and class. Pretty much anyone out of the 17 at the moment could be playing terribly, but we'll pick them cause they get the job done. When we were losing (03/04/05) we picked near the same team, players like Smith/Slater/Inglis were brought through, and it paid off in the end. Form is overrated in Origin. The best players perform. Look at Inglis, sometimes plays terrible for the Storm, but the moment he walks on to an Origin field, he is unstoppable. Form is temporary. class is permanent.

That was my point though. I did write at the end, I'd hate to see a side picked on form.

If you were to pick a side on form, it'd be terrible. Yes these players happen to be the form players but few of them have makings of a representative player.

I am of the opinion, no matter what side New South Wales names tomorrow night, it will look ordinary on paper.

hellteam

First Grade
so what would your nsw team look like than hell? im just interested in what team you would pick. Because as many others would agree,what you said is true and has been said before. so yeh, who would u pick?

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Josh Dugan - he could handle playing wing, I'm sure he'd have played it before and he certainly has the skills
6. Terry Campese - if they pick him, give him at least 2 games to prove himself, don't just drop him after one loss. Otherwise Trent Barrett
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Brett White
9. Michael Ennis
10. Luke Douglas
11. Luke Lewis
12. Ben Creagh
13. Paul Gallen (c)

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Anthony Watmough
16. Tom Leyhroyd-Lars
17. Willie Mason

Greg Bird just isn't skillful enough to play five eight. This was shown on Friday night vs the Broncos, so there's no place for him in the team. Captain was tough, but I went with Gallen because he's a tough player and it would be easy to hate him (as a Queenslander haha)

That was my point though. I did write at the end, I'd hate to see a side picked on form.

If you were to pick a side on form, it'd be terrible. Yes these players happen to be the form players but few of them have makings of a representative player.

I am of the opinion, no matter what side New South Wales names tomorrow night, it will look ordinary on paper.

Ahhh sorry mate, bit slow today (it is a Sunday), missed your point there, I thought you meant would hate to see a team picked on form because you're a Queenslander. So yes, I agree with you

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Okay so I've posted a number of teams in this thread, preseason side, mid-season side, form side, crap side (no real difference) and a side with funny hats, I thought I would post up my final side. Firstly this is the side I predict. *Imagine it presented on a plain black and white screen*

1. Kurt Gidley (c)
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Morris
6. Greg Bird
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Josh Perry
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Weyman
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Ben Creagh
13. Anthony Watmough

14. Luke Lewis
15. Tom Learoyd Lahrs
16. Paul Gallen
17. Brett White

Talk about a bore.

Now sit back and be amazed at my awesome side.

At fullback: Josh Dugan

I know you're not supposed to pick kids for Origin but let me tell you something amigo, Dugan isn't a kid, he's a freak. Remember back to high school and there was always that one kid in each age group that seemed a lot older than what they were and was still infinitely awesome? That kid is Dugan.

Breaks tackle like Timmah breaks keyboards, this freak of a man needs to be instated into Origin now.

On the wings: Jarryd Hayne and Brett Morris

Do I really need to justify Jarryd? Watch last year's series and be amazed.

Brett Morris is also an easy choice, he's essentially the best choice out of an average bunch. Unless you know, you like Luke Burt or Michael Robertson...

Centre is a very important position these days so I've stuck with the best and possibly the most experienced (but yet still eligible) pairing of: Matt Cooper and Jamie Lyon.

This appears to be a popular choice and for good reason, because they're the best out of an inexperienced or just plainly crap bunch. Cooper is strong defensively and has stood up in attack while Lyon has been all class for Manly. I know he was beaten last year by Inglis, but given his likely pairing with Hayne he will cause more havoc than he did with McManus and Williams.

If you thought the centres were important, wait until I show you what I have in store next...

The halves

Again, you New South Welshmen really don't have much going for you here but this must be said.

Trent Barrett must play at five eigth.

Barrett comes under the Inglis/Myles rule in that no matter what form he's in as long as there is no one of stature playing, give Barrett the Sky Blue. The guy was awesome in the last two games last year and he does not deserved to be dropped.

The other is Brett Kimmorley. I'm not that big a fan of Brett, but with otherwise preoccupied Brett deserves his chance.

Now for the most important selection of the series, the front row.

People question the importance of a front row, saying they only hit the ball up, surely they're not that important. But those people are also silly.

However these two aren't: Luke Douglas and Michael Weyman

Another fresh face you say, Big Pete how could you introduce us to such inexperience and I would tell you to shut up and let me speak!

Douglas is the most well rounded prop forward in the NRL and has plenty of ticker. The fact he's sticking with such a terrible club says as much.

The other is Michael Weyman and face it, the guy is a monster and one of the few props to impress me this season.

Now for the position that doesn't have any clear stand-outs for New South Wales, the hooking position. Let's be honest here New South Wales really don't have a lot to choose from.

But they do have: Michael Ennis

Ennis gets in because he doesn't prance, he just gets things done.

New South Wales have always been strong in one area the backrow and this year is no exception, coming up with a backrow was difficult but I do believe I pulled it off.

New South Wales backrow: Anthony Watmough, Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke Lewis

Watmough comes under the Myles law of Origin selection. Watch Origin 2 and 3 if you don't believe me.

Nathan Hindmarsh may seem odd to some, but again those people are probably Anthony Laffranchi fans. Hindmarsh is both for his on-field performance (the man makes a million tackles) and as a bid to get the public and the media to support the Blues. Seriously, if I wanted one man to seek out world peace, it would be this man, who can say no to Nathan? Seriously and hey at least he isn't like 'Gentle Ben'.

Luke Lewis is Luke Awesome. He's the heart and soul of Penrith and if I was a southerner he would be one of the first players picked.

So that's the side that would meet Queensland on the field. I don't believe they would beat Queensland per say, but they would surely beat the other run on side in an alternative Origin match.

Now for the Interchange bench.

For me a good interchange bench has to have impact. It's like Barney Stinsons guide to a good playlist, there's no need for a down time when you can just keep raising the bar. For me, the players off the bench should all be strong tough players and should given the side an extra ingredient it maybe lacking.

My first candidate for the bench would be Kade Snowden. I laugh at all those who keep suggesting the same filth as Brent Kite, Josh Perry and Brett White. Please, they've all sucked over the years, why would the Blues keep picking a bunch of guys who have done nothing to improve? Snowden is a beast, takes a lot of stopping and hits the line like a freight train. It's exactly what you need coming off the bench.

He'll be joined by favourite Broncos alumni Tom Learoyd Lahrs who is a wrecking machine. He has the capacity to rip and tear the Queenslanders apart through the middle of the ruck.

And that's where the awesome kind of ends. I mean, really I think New South Wales would do better running off a 2 man bench than a 4 man bench, most of those players can go for the full 80. But for the sake of completion I'll go with another...

Paul Gallen comes in as the 4th Shark largely because of his reputation, and he can be joined by his bash brother Greg Bird who again, will be chosen to encourage supporters to get behind the Blues and to get the media talking up the return of these two guys to Origin level.

So there you have it, New South Wales best side. To me, these players all have one thing, ticker and they'll challenge the Maroons in every which way and if they don't take this year's shield they will be in prime position to take next year's.

Big Pete's side
1. Josh Dugan
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Morris
6. Trent Barrett
7. Brett Kimmorley
8. Luke Douglas
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Weyman
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Luke Lewis

14. Kade Snowden
15. Tom Learoyd Lahrs
16. Paul Gallen
17. Greg Bird

Jono078

Referee
(On Dugan) Breaks tackle like Timmah breaks keyboards, this freak of a man needs to be instated into Origin now.
:lol:

Anyway, I can't believe while watching the ch 9 game just now that origin is 10 days away! When's the team named? Tomorrow or Tuesday?

Someone

Bench
Kimmorley is rubbish.

6.Barrett
7.Finch
9.Ennis
14.Carney

thats your halfs.

other certainity should be dugan at fullback. He will eventually push Hayne to wing, either this year or next year. Brett Morris other wing.

Centres can be picked bewteen Lyon, Cooper, Jennings and champion. hopefully a mix of young and old (e.g lyon and jennings)

Fowards i dont know. certainitys are Lewis, Watmough must be there, as for props we dont have alot happening in that department for us. Maybe White, Galloway if fit, Snowden, and weyman. Douglas maybe.

Bird should be 13, talk of him at 6 is rubbish.

smacky

Juniors
Dont know how they can be thinking of picking Idris anywhere in the side. I would pick Beau Champion ahead of him. Hes way better defensively and shown as much in attack but he still wouldnt get in the side.

Not having Gallen is a mystery to me aswell. He played well in the test match and has been carrying the sharks. He gives that much needed aggression that is needed for Origin.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The team I would pick.
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Joel Monaghan
3. Matt Cooper
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Morris
6. Terry Campese
7. Trent Barrett
8. Josh Perry
9. Michael Ennis
10. Michael Weyman
11. Luke Lewis (c)
12. Ben Creagh
13. Paul Gallen
14. Kurt Gidley
15. Tom Learoyd Lahrs
16. Anthony Watmough
17. Brett White
Watmough for Gallen after 25, sam for the second half, Start Gallen bring on Watmough
Left side what the saints have.
Big side.